THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Horses are F**kin Stupid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horses are F**kin Stupid
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
Got this roping horse, on a trial basis. Been there, done that line of BS!

Horse is dog gentle. Rode him a few times. No issues.

We go down to the state park this morning. Everything is peachy until we get to the campground where at one of the campsites the gal has this pony that is acting up while tied up to the corral fence.

This dog gentle horse starts whinnying and then starts to snort and then starts to bounce around and get rowdy. This dog gentle horse must have figured this pony was the devil incarnate.

Without further adieu this dog gentle horse whips around and starts running backwards. He is just completely freaked out. In this blur of activity he apparently tries to whip around to panic run from the scene but I guess trips over his hind legs because the next thing I knew he has fallen down on me pointed in the opposite diection as the pony.

I laid there on the ground while this dog gentle horse ran about fifty feet and turned to face the pony once more, still snorting. I assessed the situation for irreversible damage to my left leg and ribs on my left side. Hurt like hell but didn't feel any bones sticking through the skin Smiler

Caught the dog gentle horse and tied it to a tree. Walked the half mile back to get the truck and trailer. Hauled the dog gentle horse home.

Going back to its owner.

Just a friendly but painful reminder why I hate horses, even dog gentle horses. And why I ride mules.

'Cause I don't bounce too good anymore. Smiler

Horses are f**kin stupid.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Hancock bred horse.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My boss is a horse person, I ain't. I tolerate the things, but sometimes they do not appear to have as much sense as a cow.

This past year Robert bought two mules from the Mule Days affair up in Wyoming.

Big, good looking mules, one an older jughead and the other a younger, good looking animal.

Both broke to ride, work cattle and pack. The jughead is just a easy going animal that loves life savers mint candies but is calm.

The younger, better looking animal seemed to be okay, had been used for trail rides, but the boss found out the hard way, that sucker was educated on how to rid his self of a rider. Robert got to riding this animal, and everything was fine and dandy, as long as the rider stayed tensed up and kept leg pressure on the animals sides.

Now the jughead a person could possibly go to sleep on its back with no trouble. The younger mule when it felt the rider relax any at all would in two steps spin out from under the rider and take off across the pasture. Robert has owned and ridden horses and mules for 40+ years.

This was a new one on him and the third time the mule dumped him it was on one of the pasture fences. Luckily, he contacted the people he bought the critter from and got his money back.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
Horses are f**kin stupid.[/QUOTE]

One of my mule friends once said "If I wanted a retarded mule, I would have bought a horse".
Words of wisdom right there.

Posts: 321 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A horse is a four legged Vet bill!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horses are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle. I absolutely hate them...

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Without further adieu this dog gentle horse whips around and starts running backwards. He is just completely freaked out. In this blur of activity he apparently tries to whip around to panic run from the scene but I guess trips over his hind legs because the next thing I knew he has fallen down on me pointed in the opposite diection as the pony.

First of all Will, let's just say that all equines have a mind, of whatever size it is indeed is a question, of their own so your story is complete as is and good decision on taking him back. Just a question though as you mention "roping horse." You did not happen to take a big hold on his mouth when he started acting rowdy and just before he started running backward? Sometimes training comes out in ways we don't want and this could be the case.
Now a story for you: We were on the way from NY to a World Championship show in OKC back a few decades ago and off loaded the horses from the trailer to stretch them out a bit in the dirt parking lot of a buffalo and Cow breeding operation along the interstate in OK I think. I was leading a little mare who when laying eyes on those Buffalo/Cow crosses, which were pretty scary looking, completely lost her mind. This horse was raised with Cattle in the next pen but could not handle this sight! Drug me all over the lot and did not stop until I put her back into the trailer.
I also have had one or two that could not handle the sight of a donkey or Shetland Pony. Go figure.
Glad your OK.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horses are f**kin stupid

But they taste good!

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I'm not fond of horses that can't stand up. Choose wisely.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
First of all Will, let's just say that all equines have a mind, of whatever size it is indeed is a question, of their own so your story is complete as is and good decision on taking him back. Just a question though as you mention "roping horse." You did not happen to take a big hold on his mouth when he started acting rowdy and just before he started running backward? Sometimes training comes out in ways we don't want and this could be the case.

To be honest things were happening so fast I can't for certain tell you exactly what the hell happened.

All I knew for sure was it was going to turn out bad!!

The wife is the typical woman that makes excuses for what the politicians do, etc. No matter what happens there is some excuse for the behavior.

Before she could get that line out, I cut her off abruptly.

"There is no excuse whatsoever for that _____ horse spooking at a _____ pony."

If it had been my horse I would've shot the ________ thing right there in the park.

No excuse. No excuse. No excuse.

I'm done with horses. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
This morning the doctor figures I have nothing broken.

It could have killed me, or worse. Smiler

Talk about luck. A bruised calf and rib cage. So lucky.

The doc told me to go buy a lottery ticket. I did!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The last horse I was on was in 1997 on an elk hunt south of Rangely Colorado. The ride that horse took me on is one I will never forget, because if we had wrecked, both of us would have been dead.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Glad you are OK Will! I honor freedom of thought and expression and thus am happy your happy to have the freedom to ride your Mule. At least until the BLM tells you not to...
Yup, happened to us back in the Colorado days when the horse tracks were damaging the environment by walking on the trail, the Feds deemed the only way of traversing that area was to do it on ones feet; holding a petunia to sniff once in a while seemed to be in favor too.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
That's another unintended consequence of women's lib. Big business wanted women's lib to increase the cheap labor market, just as they do now with the illegals.

One of my niece is testimony to this. Went to college. Biology degree. Went to work for the USF&W.

She is a big anti-hunting type. She'd get ticked off at me and my Dad for killing stuff.

You see the same stuff in state F&W departments, the BLM, vet schools, etc. At the moment women students out number the men in the Kansas State vet school 5 to 1. Men are so f____, both ways.

The high price of cheap labor.

The corresponding problem is that the hikers, bikers, and other assorted tree huggers out number the hunters, ranchers, horsemen, etc.

Garmin, just plum full of women and the h. type flower pickers inundate my little town with their never-ending bicycle traffic.

We're so screwed.

I heard the CEO of Garmin has clandestinely been to Africa hunting. I guess the big bucks and cheap labor is more important than preserving the independent, pioneer, hunting lifestyle in America. He's probably owns some Caribbean island where he can escape his poisoning of the culture and any conscious he might have let.

Lectures, as always, are free of charge. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Billy,
Horses aren't stupid, people that own them are stupid..A horse isn't a preditor animal that attacks, he runs from fear, that is how he survives...you should have lead him away from the poney, or altenatively shot the damn poney. but the point is to remove the horse from the situation..

Not all people are stupid, especially fellow that wanted to sell that horse to ya! rotflmo
Same thing happens with car dealers, door to door salesmen and politicians, somebodys going to get F'ed... beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serves you right for trying to cross over to the dark side. The mule gods are watching Will !! Glad your not to busted up !!

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Hey Billy,
Horses aren't stupid, people that own them are stupid..A horse isn't a preditor animal that attacks, he runs from fear, that is how he survives...you should have lead him away from the poney, or altenatively shot the damn poney. but the point is to remove the horse from the situation..

Not all people are stupid, especially fellow that wanted to sell that horse to ya! rotflmo
Same thing happens with car dealers, door to door salesmen and politicians, somebodys going to get F'ed... beer

Ray,

The first mistake was trying to make a trail horse out of an arena horse.

Thank God for mules (until one hurts me, of course Smiler).

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Serves you right for trying to cross over to the dark side. The mule gods are watching Will !! Glad your not to busted up !!

Yeah, serves me right!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, the worst 10 wrecks I've had were on mules! You know God put the mule on this earth to get even with cowboys and their sinning ways! Like the man said, the Lord works in mysterious ways! rotflmo

Im sadden by all this as Wild Billy was destined to become my new roping partner and we we're on our way to winning the over 100 roping at the Old Mens National Finals, the team has to have a combined age of over 100. but then I could rope with a 20 year old, what was I thinking! dancing

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Hey Billy,

Ray,

The first mistake was trying to make a trail horse out of an arena horse.

Thank God for mules (until one hurts me, of course Smiler).

My cutting horses will definitely trail ride, using them to gather cattle out of the brush and whatever is also good for their mind, IMO. It is also entirely possible that you may have done something with your legs/feet if the horse was really a highly trained one. I've seen people get on one of mine and squeeze with their knees, pulling on the reins to stop the horse. One cue is telling the horse to go, one to stop, they get confused and aggravated. With one of my show horses, you just sit down in the seat and her ass is in the dirt. Just saying. It may have not been the horse.

I also saw a helicopter fly a mule rider with a broken back out of the Church Wilderness when I was riding one of my horses on an elk hunt. They aren't perfect either.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may have not been the horse.

I also saw a helicopter fly a mule rider with a broken back out of the Church Wilderness when I was riding one of my horses on an elk hunt. They aren't perfect either.

I passed along what I THOUGHT happened. What actually transpired would have been better deciphered by an observer!

But the bottom line for me is that I've seen very few horses that seemed to be aware of their surroundings!

There have been many mules that are dumb as a stump and I wouldn't even get close to them much less ride them.

But there is something about a GOOD mule, as few and far between as they might be, that I just trust. And I suspect that there are few mules that are going to stumble and trip over themselves to the point of falling down, when spooked or otherwise.

My mules might knock me off on a tree limb by accident, or on purpose, but fall down? I don't think so. Smiler

I would love to have a smart horse, but they are rarer than chicken choppers. And never for sale!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,
I know where a smart horse is for sale..I have roped off him, rode him in the mountains more than a few times..I would trust him with a 3 year old, yet he has all the go you ask him for. He is well trained and 110% reliable..He belongs to my daughter, but they have a girl in college and pretty much need to sell him, they have way too many horses..He is 15 and healthy and will pass a vet check..If your interested. I would personally guarentee him, money back within reason..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I suspect that there are few mules that are going to stumble and trip over themselves to the point of falling down, when spooked or otherwise.

An athletic horse would not have tripped over himself, only an uncoordinated horse that I wouldn't ride will do that.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spooked ? could be from anything .My brother told me of a dog that was found passed out .A young St Bernard .They figured something really frightened him ,enough to pass out ---it was Halloween and the kids in their costumes had done it !! animal

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Will, here you go, this mule must be worth $10,000.

What a mule!

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Will;
My Grandfather spent the first 30 years of his life as a cowboy in the pan handle of Oklahoma and around La Junta, Colorado told me when the horse I was riding, bare back, decided he wanted to take off running. The stupid horse ended up putting his leg in a prairy dog hol and doing a fair imitation of a side wise sumersault. He broke a leg and I broke an arm.
While I was getting a cast, he caught my attention and said 'There's only one thing dumber then a horse, the man ontop of him!'
I'm inclined to agree.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think most cowboys that carried a Colt did so to shoot the damn horse when it got out of line.

Many years ago my pack of city cousins came out to the country during a holiday. One of the goof ball nags was afraid of walking on pavement and large flat rocks. Rocks like sand stone that could be 10 X 20 feet or more where the dirt had blown off leaving a rock table were the places she had trouble.

This was a black Arabian called midnight but everyone called her night mare.

One of my cousins and I got to the rocky area near the creek and she started the goofy act as usual. I had him get off and lead my horse while I led the night mare. She got hooves on the rock, went nutty and flipped over on her back. If I had been armed I would have killed her on the spot. Not long after that she went down the road to someone else who I hope did not have rocky pastures.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait till your horse meets a Llama. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That white Sacred cow acts just like about half the herd I was raised with.
The black mare half describes a black cow in the bunch. Old Slash had a lightning slash across her face and attitude just like it.
She'd do the same thing this white cow was trying to do only at us everytime we'd get within range of her. We had to carry a club and she never learned, never tamed down and never got over it. Hell of it was, some of the other brahma's would eat cake out of a hand held bucket while we scratched their backs, necks n heads even.
Face it, animals are much like women!
No matter the species, you find one that's pure black, they've got a black heart to.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Horses and Mules are nothing more than a product of their master, dumb master equals dumb horse or mule and visa versa or perhaps I should say and unknowledgeable master equals a Unknowledgeable horse. It takes a lifetime to understand the horses mind and to learn the skills of training..

A smart horse owner finds himself a good horse trainer and that in itself takes some experience or the where to fore to find someone that can help him find the right person to train his horse and him. Once you get on this trip, you will own a horse that you can enjoy and have confidence in.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I might have to take exception to that stuff.

It's equivalent to saying every kid is of the same intellect. They are not nor ever will be regardless of the attempts to rationalize otherwise.

Equality is a cartoon not reality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you realize "horses are just a panic attack waiting for a good place to happen" it makes your understanding of the beasts easier. Some of the things i've seen really frighten well trained horses are ponies,brahma cattle,burros,llamas,ostriches and horse drawn conveances.
Some things are physically painful to horses like loud p.a. systems and sodium vapor lights. I had a few grey horses i raised that we roped on and we had to stuff their ears around any amplified sound.

Fred

keep a leg on each side and your mind in the middle

Posts: 39 | Location: tombstone | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fred, I differ with you.
It don't take a "Good place to happen"
Just the most inconvenient!

I know well about those sacred cattle. Dad raised 26 head while raising me so I know them quite well first hand.

Dust covered marsh not long after just a plain old "I don't wanta go fit of bucking". Thought it was just another fit, buried the spurs and she jumped half way across it and sunk to her belly. Ah damn what a black mess we both were then.

Took awhile to break the rearing up when she didn't want to go. Old cowboy rancher bought me a new quirt. "Hold the stingers and whack her between the ears hard as you can when she rears up." Took four times, knocked her to her knee's three times and tipped over once. She didn't do that again. Would have been a whole lot easier to just shoot her! Nearly did when she ran off and down the stairs into a basement with me and a G/F that had spoiled her. Plumb scary that ride.

Ohh, and the rodeo we had loading her into the trailer!!
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Animals are animals no matter how well trained they are.

It seems that as soon as you brag on them they do some thing stupid.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey PDS: So are cars, kids, n wimmen!!
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
vehicle take some one else to make them do some thing

the rest have a mind of their own

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather was a cowboy up until he got married and had responsiblities. I fancied being one or at least being able to speak some what knowledgable at the drug store.
I was riding bare back, the horse bolted, took off running and stepped into a hole. He did a sumersault and I went flying. He broke a leg and I broke an arm.
My Grandfather came into the E.R. watched what was going on. He cleared his throat moved his dip to one side and said "Son, there's only one thing dumber then a horse, that's the man on top of him!"
I continued to ride but I not seen anything to dispute his analsys..

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wasn't around sheep was he

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh man, talk about STUPID sheep!
One time at the stock sale waiting our turn to load up some cattle. There was a three layer semi with open top full of sheep just sitting at the chute yet. Some got out thru the gate and ran around the trailer. Those on top saw 'em and every damned one on the top layer jumped over the side. Not many didn't break a leg. We always carried a .22 and box or more of shells in the trk. Sure came in handy that day. Shot a BUNCH of sheep with it. Never seen cattle or horses do that yet.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
wasn't around sheep was he

Never understood Grand Dad's perspective on sheep.
He liked wool shirts and coats, he thought every sheep should be shot on sight.

Jim