Find
Notify
Tools

Chinks or Chaps? Why
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As the title says, what do you use?

Posts: 100 | Location: The island in the east | Registered: 13 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both, I like shotguns in the winter and chinks in the summer, but you also need to buy ccording to your needs, in thorn brush of So. Texas a heavy pair of shotguns or bat wings is what you want..In Idaho winters I suggest a pair of chinks with very long fringe that will sweep the snow off your boots as you ride, but they are not as warm as my shotguns, so depends on the season...Lots of pros and cons about bat wings, shotguns, and chinks...common since as to your needs is what you have to determine.

If I were in a situation wherein I had to pick one for all use, I would probably go with a pair of chinks for a number of reasons.

For what its worth a good pair of suspenders sure are handy when branding time rolls around and your a foot most of the day, they keep the chaps from pulling your pants down! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like chinks. They are much cooler in hot weather. Remember there are work chinks and riding chinks.

In heavy brush, I like to use spanish tapaderos to cover my stirrups.

They help keep boots and stirrups from snagging.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I prefer bat wings, they offer a lot of protection from brush, limbs and the weather.

Posts: 19 | Location: salmon id | Registered: 01 March 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe is about as good as the other..Taps are also great in the winter, especially with a sheep skin liner, they keep the snow off your boots, keep feet dry and warm better than anything else short of rubber boot covers for western boots..I take them off in the summer.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually prefer batwings for protection from brush and to keep the wet off but this very morning they let me down. Rain was hard enough my old chaps soaked clean through. Time to make another pair!
Never been a fan of chinks but what was posted above about fringe and keeping your boots clear has the ring of truth too it.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leather slick side out is best for wet weather, snow or rain..

Which do I like best, dunno, have a pair of bat wings, a pair of shotguns, and a pair of chinks with extra long fringe, bat wings are heavy and tend to pull your pants down, but work well in thorn bush, Tassahia, dagger and such..Shotguns are warm and work about anywhere but hard to get in and out off and a little hot in the summer..Chinks are light comfortable and suit me in snow and mountains and the fringe will sweep the snow off the toe of your boots, and they are warm as well, and I like them in the summer as well....

I wear my chinks more than the other two, next would be the shotguns...Im not particularly fond of batwings, but not at all opposed to them.. take your pick, they all get the job done.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120