THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Copper Sulphate (Sulfate)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper Sulphate (Sulfate)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
This probably only applies to critters in the southern states. When I was in Kansas I had never heard of, much less experienced, the hoof infections of white line, seedy toe, or thrush.

But when I moved to swamp country my poor mule got a bad case of whiteline which never did clear up with the antibiotic/fungicides Clean Trax and/or White Lightning. The farriers I used had no other suggestions. They never worked for me.

So when I got suckered (again) by another trader for this horse, it had a half inch crack at the toe of one of his hooves, my now new farrier suggested copper sulphate. I, of course, had unknowingly bought a horse with a fairly bad case of seedy toe.

All that said, the new farrier suggested using copper sulphate in white vinegar solution to treat seedy toe, whiteline, and thrush.

So I took an old pickle jar, bought a bottle of copper sulphate at the local horse supply store and a bottle of white vinegar at the grocery store. I couldn't find any data on the solubility of copper sulphate in acid (vinegar) so in an almost full jar of vinegar I poured some copper sulphate. I kept on adding more until there was still some crystals in the bottom of the jar the next day. It doesn't require waiting for 100% saturation since it keeps dissolving over many days. The solubility must be large.

I squirted the solution into the crack with a syringe about every other day, trying to get the narrow gauge needle into the crack as far as possible. In a couple months it pretty much cleared up but have resolved myself to continued weekly treatment until if I ever move north or unload this horse on another sucker.

When I think of that poor mule and all the money I wasted on Clean Trax and White Lightning .........

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
dip his foot In Formaldahyde daily until it clears up..works on cows also and usually one or two applications, at least for thrush..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use copper top quite frequently on horses with thrush.

I'll have to give Formaldehyde a try.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was talking to our farrier, and he said the problem with formaldehyde is that it is water soluble and would not stay on the hooves long enough to be effective if the horse is not on dry footing.

The paddock where I work, has a few wet spots.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Watered down a bit bleach is an excellent infection killer.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use falmaldyhide dips for cattle and horses. its not dry, if it was dry we wouldn't have thrush..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I had sheep on my farm for quite a few years. Somehow some of my breeding stock brought in foot rot, even though I ran them thru footbathes. My farm didn't have rocks or hard ground, so the footrot would stay in the soil and pop back up in wet weather.
An old neighbor told me to trim the hoof as far back as possible and then to put copper sulphate crystals in a little kids sock and tape it so it wouldn't come off the effected foot. The idea was to keep copper sulphate in contact with the affected foot. It looked really stupid, but worked beautifully. A mule would take a bigger sock. Might not work on rocky ground. But you're a pretty ingenious guy and coul probably take it to another level.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would probably work well with horse boots.

BH63