THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Foal Handling and Halter Breaking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foal Handling and Halter Breaking
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is so much good, actually great information out there on horse breaking and training today and that was not the case pre internet..

However, some of the best horses I have ever rode we're broke the old fashion way, eared down, stepped on and turned loose but the end result were sometimes fantastic just depened on who was doing it..

I believe some people are born to horses and others no matter the amount of knowledge they have, the schools they attend, or the number of colts they ride aren't worth a flip with horses.

Going back to the old days and my observations, the old timers could do horseback what todays experts do on foot, those olf guys were good and bad just like todays trainers...It seems to boil down to one thing a horse learns by repetition and he is the most forgiving animal on earth..Gods most perfect creature and just watching one run in slow motion brings a tear to any cowboys eye if he is the real deal.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you pretty well said it all. Some things trainers are doing today, the old timers did years ago.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My impression is the colt was following you not giving to the lead. IMO even better.
I broke all my babies to halter starting about 60 days before weaning. Put them up in a pen where they can see Momma, put a halter with 6' lead rope on them, and let them train themselves.
Your colt sounds nicely breed.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Growing up we put all our weaned babies on a line, fed them and watered them daily for about two weeks, then saddled them every day and then put a 4 or 5 year old on them for about a minute or so then more each day, until the kid could be lead around on them, they would be gentled, then turned them out until they were 3 brought them in and went to riding and training them..I like about 3 or 4 days in a round pen then go for a short ride with someone horse back leading them turning them around and after a day or two tossing you the lead rope and your on your own from then on..The program is not written in stone, and varies from horse to horse. Its very basic..Lots of folks like more time in the round pen, I don't it tends to spoil horses if your not real careful, they can get sour or bored, same thing..a big ranch and lots of wet saddle blankets and a gentle hand make the best horses.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
There is so much good, actually great information out there on horse breaking and training today and that was not the case pre internet.

It was out there and those who were interested found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Miller

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't argue that Adams, its just that now it's out there for anyone that wants a head start on what it took most of us a lifetime to learn...

I watch Chris Cox on TV, and I'm still picking up things that further my ability to train horses, things that never occurred to me..The guy is phenomenal..Most of the TV crowd are run of the mill horse trainers that copy each other and have little to add except to beginning trainers, and that's a good thing I suppose. I have also learned what great horse trainers they have in Australia for the American cowboy to pick up a lot of new ways to do things, and some of them work, and its been working both ways over the last few years..I like that.,an example for instance is Cox did a show recently on moving a horses feet with your hands BEFORE you even touched his mouth, and how to do it, its one of the greatest learning experiences I've had to make great horses in my lifetime, just a simple thing as that changed the way I did things..As much as guns and hunting has been a way of life for me, my horses are and always have been my lifes blood. I love'em.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120