Find
Notify
Tools

Horse for a BIG Man
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean Russel,

do you recall the name of the other stallion or if it was the dark blue roaned with black markings ? I wonder if was the one at Las Vegas finals in 2012

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard Austin,
Not sure what you mean by that? "straying off the conversation" confused? All I recall is I made a post commenting on Norsemans post that started with a horse for a 300 pound man wanting a big using horse to ride in the high mountain country, and the blood lines for this horse to be went off the charts and off the subject never to return IMO. None of my emails were even remotely directed at any post of yours.

For the needed horse I feel like one would be better off buying a cold blooded big old ranch horse for that sort of use. I would expect to buy such a horse, that was gentle and handled well for about 3000. to $5000 depending on quality and with a little luck, maybe much less..Sorry if I offended with opinion.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RichardAustin,

(remember we need 20% blood to pass on one matched chromosome),??????????????????????

Who fed you that line of BS? It is DNA impossible.

Did you work for 6666 Ranch?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
20% blood = one matched pair of chromosomes = one trait.

Now Norseman, please answer the one question I have asked of you.

Given that it is the obligation of the breeder to improve upon the breed, just what traits do you think the 1930 Hancock horse, or your more recent Driftwood, just what trait do they have which will improve a horse like Stoli?
If you're saying they (Hancock or Driftwood)would improve on your mares that is a pretty poor reflection on your mares, given there's been about 80 years to improve upon the breed.

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Norseman, since you cited the Four 6s studs, just how much Hancock blood are those two studs carrying? The one looks like he's a lot more Doc O Lena breed than Hancock; the other Continental Fly.
So why the insinuation these were Hancock breed? They've got some Hancock in their background but other good horses are much more up close.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardAustin:
Norseman it was always my understanding that a rider (& gear) should not exceed 20%. I don't know if that is correct or not, just what I was told.

I have to ask why would a Hancock horse be suggested? (maybe because Joe Hancock's maternal sire was a Percheron?). Joe Hancock died in the first 1/2 of the last century, something like 70 years ago. The second part is something I previously mentioned, the lack of a .22 in breeding programs. Someone with a couple of dozen mares trying to preserve a blood line is kidding themselves. Mostly they're going to a lot of effort to produce a dink. The great breeders like King Ranch ran 100's of mares and might only use a couple of foals over the years that were line breed. The difference is the great breeders were looking for a type, genetic traits, of which Klegborg was a master, vs. a backyard breeder with 6 mares that carry 10 crosses to Red Man/Blue Valentine or whatever looking for a percentage of bloodline.

On another note, does it seems inconsistent to say on one hand look at the individual horse and on the other hand rule out an entire population of a particular breed?

RichardAustin you are correct about the rider/ horse ratio.

Why would I suggest a Hancock horses? I suggested line-bred Hancock horses due to their conformation, size, weight, stamina, athleticism, sure-footed, hard hooves and calm demeanor. This what I call VERSATILITY.

I don't what you mean by someone having a couple of dozen mares trying to preserve a blood line is kidding themselves? One should focus on SIRE'S, there are stallions and then there are sires.

You need to remember that Joe Hancock ended up at 6666 Ranch toward the end of career and they had hundreds of mares.

There a lot of Hancock breeder's that don't advertise on paper or internet here in the Northwest/West of the Mississippi River and there horses are usually sold out every year.

I recently bidded $8000.00 on a stallion named Joe Hancock Lee and lost and the seller refused to me how much he was sold for.
He was trailered to Tennessee from Oregon.

Backyard breeder's? mmmmmm? I know a backyard breeder that has 3 stallions that are worth about $20,000.00 each and he also 8 mares that are worth at least $8,000.00 a piece. He only sells to people that are active in pro-rodeo circuit. I also know a guy that has 5 stallions that might be worth $3500.00 a piece and he has a band of 60 mares that are maybe worth $1000.00 at the most.
So who is the backyard breeder???????????

It does seem inconsistent to rule out a breed but not bloodlines.

I see a lot of top studs at the 4 sixes ranch and none are in bred Hancock. Three Bars was the most prolific sire in quarter history IMHO. Three Bars was foaled in 1940 and most great horse can trace back to Three Bars in cuttin, halter, performance events and racin but to find a high percentage Three Bars today would way too much inbreeding IMHO and I would not want one.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JW, I think for all the Hancock blustering theres not much Hancock in that horses pedigree. The way I read it 4 -6-Hancock is Hancock in name only. IMO being 50% Tanquery Gin is his best breeding, he was a hell of a horse and sire . If my understanding is right that mare carried 12% Joe Hancock, not enough to pass on one trait. I would still welcome Noresman to answer to my questions, we'll see.

I agree with you on 3 Bars, his impact on the 1/4 horse is as great as any sire, probably more. His being a Sire of Sires is what really sets him apart from other good horses imo. Think of all the good sires he produced:
Mr. Bar None, Gay Bar King, Sugar Bars, Lightning Bar, Tonto Bars Gill, St. Bar, Steel Bars, Bar Money, Triple Chick, Alamitos Bar, Bar Depth, Royal Bar, Josie's Bar, and Galobar. His sons went on to produce Doc Bar, one of the most influential sires of cutting horses ever known; Tonto Bars Hank, sire of all around horses; Jewel's Leo Bars (Freckles), outstanding cutting horse and sire of cutting horses. Impressive, a triple descendant of Three Bars, became the most prepotent sire of Quarter Horse halter horses from the 1970s through the 1990s. His offspring Rocket Bar (TB), Sugar Bars, Lena's Bar (TB), Lightning Bar and Zippo Pat Bars were all inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame. Of his grandget, Doc Bar, Zippo Pine Bar, Easy Jet, Kaweah Bar, Zan Parr Bar, and The Invester were inducted into the AQHA Hall of Fame. Four of his sons were AQHA Supreme Champions - Kid Meyers, Bar Money, Fairbars, and Goldseeker Bars.
That's what I call a sire.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
WOW...WHAT WAS IT I WAS ASKING?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well as someone who was raised around horses and still works cattle in the high mountain country in Idaho, and grew up in the rough as hell mountains of the Texas Big Bend, and who presently at 80 years old is still team roping at least once a week, I have a pretty good idea of what I like in a horse.

Quarter horses and Throughbreds have always worked for me and when I need to rope a cow or slide off a shale slide, I want a quick footed, atheletic kind of horse with small black hard feet, not a big clumsy draft horse. When I'm getting off and on all day long, I don't want a 17 or 18 hands horse, and you sure don't want to step off on the downhill side of a mountain simply because its a long ways the the dirt. Draft horses or better yet half draft horses are fine on trails and can step over blow down timber, and can pack gear well enough..but lets remember horses are bred to do certain disaplanes and that is very important. Draft horses are bred to plow, pack, and relie solely on size and strength, they are not bred to ride IMO, nor to do ranch work or hunting in rough country.

As to quarter horses and throughbreds having the feet bred off them, I don't think I have ever heard such nonsence, they are bred to have feet and bone to match their size, just like a draft horse and such statements only show me a lack of knowledge on the subject as any real horseman would know better than to make such a statement.

My horses are quarter horses, my heel horse is 14.5 hands, my head horse is 15.3 hands, IMO that is the size they need to be for the disaplanes I use them for. I use them both to round up cattle in some damn rough country with no trails, I use them for hunting and I can ride where deer go, I don't tie them up and hunt of foot, I hunt off the horse.

My point being there are all kinds of horses and they are all good for what they are bred to do, some of every breed are good and some of every breed are not so good, like human athelets, but using the correct horse for the job at hand is like using the right tool to do any job.

Never heard of a quarter horse that was 14.5 hands as a heel horse, that seem's awful big!!!!!

Let's focus on 333_OKH needs.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Well as someone who was raised around horses and still works cattle in the high mountain country in Idaho, and grew up in the rough as hell mountains of the Texas Big Bend, and who presently at 80 years old is still team roping at least once a week, I have a pretty good idea of what I like in a horse.

Quarter horses and Throughbreds have always worked for me and when I need to rope a cow or slide off a shale slide, I want a quick footed, atheletic kind of horse with small black hard feet, not a big clumsy draft horse. When I'm getting off and on all day long, I don't want a 17 or 18 hands horse, and you sure don't want to step off on the downhill side of a mountain simply because its a long ways the the dirt. Draft horses or better yet half draft horses are fine on trails and can step over blow down timber, and can pack gear well enough..but lets remember horses are bred to do certain disaplanes and that is very important. Draft horses are bred to plow, pack, and relie solely on size and strength, they are not bred to ride IMO, nor to do ranch work or hunting in rough country.

As to quarter horses and throughbreds having the feet bred off them, I don't think I have ever heard such nonsence, they are bred to have feet and bone to match their size, just like a draft horse and such statements only show me a lack of knowledge on the subject as any real horseman would know better than to make such a statement.

My horses are quarter horses, my heel horse is 14.5 hands, my head horse is 15.3 hands, IMO that is the size they need to be for the disaplanes I use them for. I use them both to round up cattle in some damn rough country with no trails, I use them for hunting and I can ride where deer go, I don't tie them up and hunt of foot, I hunt off the horse.

My point being there are all kinds of horses and they are all good for what they are bred to do, some of every breed are good and some of every breed are not so good, like human athelets, but using the correct horse for the job at hand is like using the right tool to do any job.

Never heard of a quarter horse that was 14.5 hands as a heel horse, that seem's awful big!!!!!

Let's focus on 333_OKH needs.

If you've never heard of a heel horse 14.5 hands then you need to get out more.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP475,

There ain't no such thing as a 14.5 hand horse regardless of the horse breed.

I thought you were an expert at quarter horses and thoroughbred?

4" per hand.

So who need's to get out more?

Yeah, that is one big ass heel horse in Louisiana for damn sure!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyway, let's focus on 333_OKH need's and want's.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP475,

There ain't no such thing as a 14.5 hand horse regardless of the horse breed.

I thought you were an expert at quarter horses and thoroughbred?

4" per hand.

So who need's to get out more?

Yeah, that is one big ass heel horse in Louisiana for damn sure!

You are extremely ignorant and arrogant a hand is indeed 4" and 56" is 14 hand, 58" is 14.5 hands and there are plenty of them.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.5 is universally accepted as 1/2. 1/2 a hand is 2", Mr. Atkinson is spot on for the preferred size of a heel horse, as anyone would know.

Noresman you do go to a lot of effort to act the ass, why not spend that energy on something constructive, like finding a horse that hasn't been dead for 70 plus years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.onlineconversion.com/horse_height.htm

No such thing as a 14.5 or even 14.4 hand horse.
Most people who know about that also know's that the next greater height measurement after 14.3 is 15.0 hands not 14.4, 14.5 or even 14.6

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/horse_height.htm

No such thing as a 14.5 or even 14.4 hand horse.
Most people who know about that also know's that the next greater height measurement after 14.3 is 15.0 hands not 14.4, 14.5 or even 14.6

Most people know that .5 is a half meaning fourteen and a half hands. More dumb ass's don't make your BS correct

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP,

what happened when you type in 14.5 on the online conversion link I provided?

Most people? you must be speaking for the people in your neighborhood.

Type in 14.8 and see what happens just for kick's!

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP,

4x.5=2. That is simple basic math. Any non whole number can be expressed in the decimal expression.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noresman you're so full of crap. I've asked you two questions that you should have had the answer to before posting your non sense. Especially about Mr Atkinson using a decimal. Does it surprise you you're the only one who can't understand?

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP,

This one works fine when you type in 14.5 hands. Also works correctly if you type in 14.8 hands

http://www.traditionaloven.com...t-hh-to-inch-in.html
You picked one that only works in your desired format.
Try again.

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
JWP,

I am not into baking stoves.

Why haven't you ask your vet or jockey?

Anyway the link below might be easier for JWP to understand.

http://www.mohorses.com/horsehandschart.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
333_OKH,

how many hand horse or mule are you looking at?

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
JWP,

I am not into baking stoves.

Why haven't you ask your vet or jockey?

Anyway the link below might be easier for JWP to understand.

http://www.mohorses.com/horsehandschart.html

I understand just fine! Ignorant: not being exposed to the info. Stupid the inability to grasp the information. I apologetic for saying you were ignorant, I was wrong!

- Winston Churchill

posted Hide Post
I sure don't want to step into such a good disagreement already in progress hammering ,but, when discussing a horse's size why not just stick to the "norm".....if a horse is 14 1/2 hands high, why not just say 14.2, that's what it is....someone says 14.8 to me, first off I figure he don't know what he's talkin about or he's talkin tenths of an inch, (or ?)which also doesn't make sense to me and I'd need a calculator....just say what they are....14.2, 15.1 or what ever....no dog in this fight but someone who may not know how horses are "measured" may get a bit confused when (or if) reading this thread....good spin though.. diggin

Posts: 5 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 22 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh McKissen:
I sure don't want to step into such a good disagreement already in progress hammering ,but, when discussing a horse's size why not just stick to the "norm".....if a horse is 14 1/2 hands high, why not just say 14.2, that's what it is....someone says 14.8 to me, first off I figure he don't know what he's talkin about or he's talkin tenths of an inch, (or ?)which also doesn't make sense to me and I'd need a calculator....just say what they are....14.2, 15.1 or what ever....no dog in this fight but someone who may not know how horses are "measured" may get a bit confused when (or if) reading this thread....good spin though.. diggin

You need a calculator to multiply .8 times 4? The answer of course is 3.2 inches real simple math. The correct way to write 14 1/2 hands is 14-2 not 14.2.

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are getting awful serious about this. So' what's a Metric horse. Wink Surely the Europeans don't do it this way.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Well there are a few horseman on the thread and at least one Internet Troll trying to stir the pot on the "Horse" thread. Any horseman anywhere would have understood what Ray said about his heel horse and would not have given a damn about his adherent to the fine "rule" of measuring horses. Silly.
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Fury1...I'll continue to tell folks my heel horse is about 14 and a half hands, I measure them in mud, grass and now and then on the cement, never have been challenged on that, maybe I'm just lucky.... cuckoo'

Were I selling the horse and some Norseman got on me for something like that I'd just step up and ride off into the sunset!!..Who wants to sell a good horse to someone like that! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh McKissen: