THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    1-8x24 S&B Exos On Big Bore ~ Eye Relief & Reliability

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1-8x24 S&B Exos On Big Bore ~ Eye Relief & Reliability Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Talked to Jerry Ricker at Schmidt & Bender about the S&B 1-8X24 Exos and the use of it on Big Bores. Jerry is saying S&B has had pretty much 100% positive feedback with the 1-8X24 Exos on .458 Lotts, Rigby’s, H&H etc. In the past I have found Jerry to be very forthright on the information he has relayed to me. He mentioned the older S&B 1.1-4X24 had eye relief problems which I found to be true. The new 1-8X24 has a true 1 power red dot sight and supposedly a generous eye box. The feedback has been positive on the 90MM’s of eye relief being plenty ,and shooters are not getting a Magnum Eyebrow. I have one I am wanting to try out on a Rigby but haven’t mounted it yet.
Anyone here have any experience using the Schmidt & Bender 1-8X24 Exos on Big Bores?
4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used mine on 450/400 ruger No 1 with hand loads exceeding normal 450/400 velocities. No issues.

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with the 1-8s but Jerry is an awesome dude. He got me all set up with a mil turret on my 3-12 Klassik this year.

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 21 April 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is on a 375H&H, seems to work okay.
I was going to get another but the parallax on the CC mode is only 7 yds. And at 50 yd range..., so just have the one.

Posts: 349 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve505:
Mine is on a 375H&H, seems to work okay.
I was going to get another but the parallax on the CC mode is only 7 yds. And at 50 yd range..., so just have the one.

Steve505,
Per Jerry at S&B:
“You are correct in your statement. The FIXED (caps mine) parallax is set at 100yd for 1.1-8X but because of the nature of CC mode which is ZERO (caps mine) magnification the parallax is internally set at 7 meters.

The CC mode originated on the 1-8 short dot which is designed for close combat for LE and military entry teams where most shots are under 20 feet and indoors.

With a 1-8 Exos on CC mode I was just looking at a 100 meter target and I could have easily engaged it without an issue. Parallax is not a concern even at that distance.”
Jerry Ricter
Schmidt & Bender

For me it sounds like the parallax will be a nonissue. I would only be using the Zero magnification CC Red Dot mode in very close conditions. Still looking for others statements that have experience using this scope on their hunts and also reviews on eye relief etc.. There seems to be a lot of flexibility with this Schmidt & Bender 1-8x24 Exos scope. Like most advanced technology products there seems to always be some trade offs.
4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have had a 1-8 Exos on order for few months so excited to try it out. Love all their other scopes so I'm sure this will be a winner!

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
My only complaint is that the eye box is pretty short on this one. I like a little more room - especially on a big-bore

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
S&B have been changing their models and features so fast that I cannot keep up.

I have a 1-8x illuminated reticle model that I bought a year or two ago, and it is not even offered anymore.

I couldn't even name it for you unless I looked it up.

Something like Hextos, or Sextus or Octohex or whatever.

I like it; I just don't like the weird names or constant changes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

I have a 1-8x illuminated reticle model that I bought a year or two ago, and it is not even offered anymore.

Mike,

I believe the S&B scope that you have is the Stratos 1.5-8X42. Nice scope. Not sure about the tube mounting length. Do you have it mounted on a rifle yet? If so what rifle action and caliber?
4WD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that any scope over 5X with a 24mm objective is self defeating. If the purpose of higher powers in a variable scope is to offer more light gathering capability, then it makes no sense at all. 5X should be the utmost limit for a scope with a 20mm objective, and Leupold produced a fine example of such a scope at a reasonable price. Plus, the eye relief varies from 4.4" to 3.6", from lowest to highest power.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

Mike,

I believe the S&B scope that you have is the Stratos 1.5-8X42. Nice scope. Not sure about the tube mounting length. Do you have it mounted on a rifle yet? If so what rifle action and caliber?
4WD

I checked. Yes, that is the scope.

I mounted it on a custom pre-64 Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Mag. using Talley extended rings.

I do like it a lot.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote