THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    450/400 for a “one gun” Safari

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 for a “one gun” Safari Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would a scoped double rifle in 450/400 with a scope in QD rings be a suitable all around rifle for an African hunt?

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. But not as good as a 375 Flanged Magnum with 235 and a 300 gr Woodleighs.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. I have been using a scoped 450-400 Harrison and Hussey for 20+ years. 2019 took 16 plains game and one Cape buffalo, ranges from 30 to a measured 214 yards. Buffalo was stopped with two shots, all plains game with one.

the 450-400 has also taken leopard, lion, hippo croc, cape and water buffalo, more plains game, whitetail and two dozen caribou in Alaska. It has been my main hunting rifle for over two decades.

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pacecars:
Would a scoped double rifle in 450/400 with a scope in QD rings be a suitable all around rifle for an African hunt?

Absolutely,just shoot a lot to get ready,get to really know your gun tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! I used a custom Ruger No.1 in .450/400-3" exclusively during my trip to Zimbabwe where it accounted for two buffalo and plains game ranging from kudu to small antelope. I used 400-grain Swift A-Frames and they worked as well on buffalo as they did on the smaller animals. The Ruger is scope with a Leopold 1.5-5 VX3 and had plenty of magnification.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Not as good as a scoped .416 caliber magazine rifle. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mike, thats kinda a Ford V/S Chevy decision. I love both those calibres. It comes to personal choice.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My scoped/RMR/open sights 450-400 Searcy double rifle has been the cat's meow in Africa on dangerous and plains game. I also have thoroughly enjoyed my Searcy 375 Flanged, shooting various game in Africa as well. It has the very same set up-iron sights, RMR or scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is its your hunt to enjoy so knock yer lights out, it will get you by..

Personally I would not even consider it, Id take a back up scoped bolt rifle and if you don't, you will be saying to yourself, "what was I thinking" thats what happened to me on one trip with "Sweet Thang," my all time best double..They just don't really have the range in some cases..cost me a fantastic tropy, maybe world class but we will never know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Namibia - PG. Brought a nice custom No.1 in 450/400 and shot an eland and blue wildebeest. 400 gr. Swift A-frames handloads performed very well. But...knowing my limitations with iron sights, I also brought along a scoped 375 H&H. That accounted for a giraffe and another blue wildebeest.

I found that compromise with a two gun safari to be just about perfect. Most shots were <100 yds but I did have some reach with the scope if needed.

Pick whatever you want to hunt most with and know your self-imposed limitations. If you're good with that you'll have a great trip

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pacecars,

I agree with Ray 100%. Do try to do it all with your double but have a scoped 375 as back up. One of the crew will be happy to carry it for you should you need it. When that 45 inch sable shows himself across the Dambo at 300 yards you won't be worrying if your rifle is up to it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gone to break open single shot rifles with switch barrels for everything including cape buffalo.
I like it.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Well, I am with Ray on this .. Doubles aren't known for distance work - though one could have the scope set for one barrel for distance -- and lots of practice.

So, the answer, as always, is, it depends - are you going for Buffalo, but want to be able to take plains game as it happens, or are you going after Kudo, but want to have the option for Lion?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I disagree with Ray, Mark, and Jeff 100%.

Like Cal, as a double rifle aficionado, I've done several safaris with 2 doubles ... one an open sighted 500NE and the other a scoped 9.3x74R. I've taken numerous animals with the scoped 9.3 at ranges of well in excess of 150 yards and a couple a little over 250. That's about as far as I want to shoot at anything in Africa short of some speciality species. And NO, I didn't set it up to only shoot one barrel at distance. It took some work but I developed a good load that works at distance with both barrels, putting both within about a 2" circle at 100 yards if I do my part. I even took my 2012 lion with this rifle / scope set up.

Posted before but here are a couple of videos showing this double rifle in action at distance. I see no reason why a scoped 450/400 couldn't be just as effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf4V1XXlY6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InInjk2NCaw

If you love doubles like I do, and want to hunt with one exclusively, I say go for it. Yea, we all know a "scoped 375 is your best bet", especially for whacking and stacking, but once you've done a couple of safaris and shot most of what you want, there's no reason not to experiment with other weapon choices that you find more engaging.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
It's a personal choice,you should always hunt with a gun of your choice,I have plenty of firearms,but a scoped 375 is not one of them Big Grin,
I hunt mostly with Double rifles,it's my preference,I enjoy it,six trips to Africa,plenty of pigs down south,know your gun,practice,don't let the 375'ers belittle your Double rifle jumping

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the good news is, there's no forced choice.

and strong opinions make great horse races

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you understand the limitations of the relatively low velocity round, there is no reason that a .450/.400 cannot be a good one gun for Safari.

Not my choice of way to go, but it has killed pretty much everything from duiker to elephant, so go for it.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My Zoli 450/400 O&U with a scope works well from the muzzle to well over 300 yards.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but a double with a scope is incest and child molestations gentlemen, The higher power of Red Gods intended for hunters to use irons on a double... moon did not you know that?? homer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I have 0 experience hunting in Africa. A double sounds sufficient though.
If a charging buff comes at you at 20 yards, would the scope be a hinderance for a couple quick shots if needed? Would it be a good idea to leave the scope off until a longer shot is needed?
I use a single shot for hogs and deer. But, a charging buff or ele is a different game. Just curious as to what the 'doers' have to say as usual.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love doubles and allways had one, no scope because I use a double as it was intended to be used. I limit it to 100 yards plus or minus 25 yds. Only on the internet have I seen this challanged in my 40 plus years of hunting Africa as common since has held true with 99% of my hunters with doubles, they all had two rifles and double ad a bolt gun as a rule..

My opine is thats the logical approach to hunting Africa, the rest is BS conversation in that its your safari, take what you want, the results are yours and yours alone..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Off to Namibia for eland late next week. Will pick up a Bailey Bradshaw rising bite double with 450-400 barrels on the 19th and load up 40 rounds of Hornady DGX using Woodleigh data for IMR4350.

Reckon my 77 year-old eyes will necessitate using either a scope or, perhaps, a reflex red dot. The terrain will make maximum shots at likely no more than 150 yards. Not sure if the scope will change the barrel harmonics so much that irons or a reflex site accuracy will be compromised. Expect to find out at the range in the Namibian game farm.

Might have some pix eventually.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tim, have a wonderful hunt. I assume your PH will be able to range the game for you, which should make it pretty straightforward to be effective with your .450-400. Eland you say? Darn.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a lot forget about Africa is that like the rest of the world the vegetation is very different where ever you go.

So take Namibia for example - you have a mix of wide open plains, with bits of scrub, but mostly wide open spaces. But into the mountainous bits, its more like working through woodland, but instead of trees you are go rocks and scrub. Go further North and you are into Mopane and Acasia woodland. Zambia and Zimbabwe - again lots of Brachastesia woodland on the High Veldt, becoming thick scrub on the lower ground. In this sort of scrub your own only chances will be up close.

And it also depends on time of year. What is clear and open in the dry season, especially once all the grass has died down can be an impenetrable jungle in the wet.

I would research carefully where you are going to hunt - Google earth well worth a look as you can see the vegetation etc. But nothing better than talking to those who you will be hunting with.

For longer range shots with a double with a scope I would treat it as a single barreled rifle. Really get to know how it shoots with your preferred barrel, and whether it will consistently group well enough to allow you to take those longer shots.

Depending on your scope and the dependability of its turrets I would have a double rifle zero - with point of aim being the intersection of the two barrels, and then a single barrel zero where I would site the preferred barrel at say 150 yards and have that marked on the turret as well. Or simply sight the scope for long range use, and use the open sights for shorter range.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

For longer range shots with a double with a scope I would treat it as a single barreled rifle. Really get to know how it shoots with your preferred barrel, and whether it will consistently group well enough to allow you to take those longer shots.

Depending on your scope and the dependability of its turrets I would have a double rifle zero - with point of aim being the intersection of the two barrels, and then a single barrel zero where I would site the preferred barrel at say 150 yards and have that marked on the turret as well. Or simply sight the scope for long range use, and use the open sights for shorter range.

That's certainly an easy way to do it, but it's not necessary. A proper regulated load will shoot parallel with only the individual barrel's "GROUPS" intersecting. It's not always easy to refine a load to that level, but it is possible as I demonstrated with my 9.3x74R described above.

I could have saved myself a lot, and I do mean, A LOT of trouble treating the rifle as a single shot with the scope on but I wanted it to be a 2 shot rifle at distance. It's never going to be a MOA rifle with both barrels. For that matter, it's probably not a MOA rifle with a single barrel, but for hunting purposes, I have no problem shooting either barrel out to past 250 yards at game. I've done it and it works fine. I'm not really much for shooting beyond that range at an animal anyway and to be honest, I prefer 150 yards and less.

There is no reason a 450/400 can't be scoped and get both barrels to shoot to hunting accuracy requirements out to a couple of hundred yards. If you're not a reloader, I don't know. But if you do load your own, working up a formula to wring out the best the rifle can offer is one of the benefits and a challenge worth pursuing! IMHO of course.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no reason a 450/400 can't be scoped and get both barrels to shoot to hunting accuracy requirements out to a couple of hundred yards.

Yep. tu2 I learned this years ago from one of my African PHs Lance Nesbitt. Took a cape buffalo with Lance in Dande South of the Zambezi Valley at over 200 yards with my scoped 450-400. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I disagree with Ray, Mark, and Jeff 100%.

Like Cal, as a double rifle aficionado, I've done several safaris with 2 doubles ... one an open sighted 500NE and the other a scoped 9.3x74R. ...

That's exactly what I am going to be doing in a few days (leave on Wednesday for Zim). A Heym .500 NE with a Trijicon and a scoped Heym 9.3x74R. Heym did a great job on regulating the 9.374R for 100 meters with 286 grain Hornady spire point ammo. Below are a pair of 100 yard L/R groups and the factory target. I just need to do my part at Dante starting next week.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice tanks. Have a great time on your double, double rifle safari.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHATEVER ONE DOES, DO IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR AFRICA!!

Tim, according to your post your going to see how it works with your PH as I understand it..if it fails, your in trouble as many are in the course of a season has been my experience, not to mention it sometimes takes more than 40 rounds to fix some of the problems, and it sucks to deal with adversity on safari...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you intend to hunt mainly PG, I would say the scoped O/U double rifle in 375 H&H Flanged will suit you best.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Pix of my two replacements for the 450/400 (same 400 grain performance plus option of 300 grain North Forks).
1. Simpson Co Suhl .405 WCF double:

2, Winchester 1895 TD .405 WCF.

The 1895 .405 has already taken water buff with 300 grain NF and Cape Buff with 400 grain Woody.
Now time for the double to take some big stuff. It regulates both 300 and 400 grain bullets.

Both rifles are also very effective on medium sized game -maybe a little overkill.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a month of driven hunts in Portugal with my ruger No 1 450 400, had a blast and got lots of attention when people saw my ammo belt Smiler Question is, what is your goal? Trophies or a fun adventure?

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on your goals.

Some species may require shots of 200-350m in most places (Springbuck, Grey Rhebuck and Hertmann's Zebra for example). IF any of those are on the list, I would think you need a second rifle.

If you are only after dangerous game and the larger ungulates, and if you don't mind the possibility that you may need to pass up on a big trophy once in a while, go for it.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is not the gun.

It is the man behind it.

And knowing how to use it.

Plenty of stories of rank idiots trying to hunt Africa posted here.

Hunt with whatever rifle you wish.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I agree with Saeed on this, but is it wisdom or just common since..I suspect I could do the same thing witha Win 94 carbine in 30-30..I killed a number of elk with a 30-30, 25-35 and later a 250 Savage, and I know some PHs that killed elephant, Buffalo and Lion with an iron sighted 30-06 and another with a 270..NOt the best option, but do-able

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120