THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    The Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Ultimate Safari 2-Rifle Battery? Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You’re likely correct about the 250gr in the 375 but for my own uses I just don’t see the need. My 300s are far easier for me to shoot well at extended ranges. And that is the most important part, and often times the most overlooked. While a larger caliber may or may not be more useful, if the hunter can’t hit anything with it, why bother? Accurate and precise bullet placement is what fills the skinning shed.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem IMO on Safari is the wide range of animal sizes targeted. You can carry and shoot one gun at a time only and that poses a problem because in the typical course of a day you may run into the smallest or largest animals on the menu. Going after a small or tiny antelope with a fast stepping plains rifle is a recipe for a ruined trophy, same applies when going large DG armed with the same.

The old 375 works very well in this regard because like a middle aged dude you can play the field up or down without embarrassing yourself much Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Guess I was lucky as I never had a problem on small trophies. I always loaded some solids for the 300 and used them on things like duiker and klipspringer. In the thicker bush of places like Zimbabwe I used a 338 on one safari, and it worked well. But if I were to hunt that type of country again I’d just use the 375. But for the Masai country up and around the Serengeti, I’ll be packing one of my 300s.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 rifle choice?

- 375 Ruger
- 7mm Remington Magnum

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30-06 for plains game. .404 Jeffrey for the big stuff. All you need, and nothing you don't.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:
30-06 for plains game. .404 Jeffrey for the big stuff. All you need, and nothing you don't.

In the best of all possible worlds this might be the best of all possible solutions to the puzzle.
And even though this ain't CANDIDE , by Voltaire,
it will still get you by nicely.
I like it.
The Thirty-Aught-Six and the "Forty-Aught-Four."
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Hydell:

This is exactly the battery my PH in Zambia recommended for me in 2014. I decided on the 404J and 338WM instead.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
318 and 425 WR take down anyone?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Being that it’s 1860 and all, I would take my W.R. Pape 450 and Rodda 6bore.

But, since we are into the early nitro age, and we know British sportsmen still like bigger BPEs for Cape Buffalo, it would have to be two of George Gibbs’ best Farquharsons! 461 No.2 and 303 British.

Or, if we go full nitro and want to tote some very special rifles, we could go with a pair of Webley. An 1897 in 400/360 and a 1902 in 500NE.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Huvius
With guns like that I will make you an official member of the SSSS (Single Shot Shooters Society)
You drink your tea with a monocle and extended pinky like a real man I see.
Mr. T approves...

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius, just WOW.........

Best post I've seen in a while on AR. Classy never goes out of style. Any of those set ups would get the job done in their day or today, and with a panache that fill the plastic-fantastic rifles with envy.
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For plains game and dangerous game, I would choose one rifle two loads. 416 Rigby, 450gn bullet at 2300 fps for DG, well constructed softs and solids (eg Woodleighs) and 300gn Barnes at 3000 fps for PG, (shoots flat out to 250yds, so aim dead on, no holdover guessing). Two scopes with quick release mounts. I used this on a PG hunt in 2012 quite successfully, Only the one load, was used, but the second scope and other rounds were in my backpack. Then you never have the wrong rifle in your hands. If you need to change scope & load it takes about 30 seconds. If you come across anything at close range unexpectedly, then either load will do.
If I was persuaded that a second rifle would be needed, I would take either my 338 Win Mag, my 470 Nitro double, or my 505 Gibbs, depending on which side of "heavy" the game would be likely to be found, and how much hunting was in really thick stuff (which is where the 470 comes into its own).

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
ALF posed a very good question.

That is why I decide years ago to just take two identical rifles on Safari.

They take care of anything I come across, from duikers to elephants.

If I was going to some place that requires long shot on plains game as well, I will take my 30/404 and 375/404.

180 grain at almost 3500 fps will atek care of the longer shots.

300 grains at 2800 will take care of anything big.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you reload, 300 H&H, and 416 Rem Mag.
Should give you all the reach & punch you'd generally need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

You nailed that one! Wink

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose 375 Weatherby and 458, both on Mauser 98 actions with Winchester safeties.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is it me or is there an underserved but well funded niche for matching rifles by manufacturers for the said subject the two gun Safari? Sequential numbered rifles made from the same hunk of wood with the same proportions, embellishments and furnishings should not just be the thing of custom gunmakers imho. What is sexier than a hottie? Twin hotties!!!!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Never found anything that couldn't be taken in style with a 470NE double and a CRF 375H&H bolt gun.

.......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Simply Wow!!

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love the latches on the bottoms of those WR magazines.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Is the checkering on the 318WR 26lpi?

Real heart stopping rifles!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I lifted the image from The Explora website from W.R. The checkering on the 318 is lovely. IMHO there is an added layer of panache using guns from the same English gunmaker for a safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Being that it’s 1860 and all, I would take my W.R. Pape 450 and Rodda 6bore.

[IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Huvius/62dff4c3-07da-4b04-87b6-

96e49c22af30.jpg[/IMG]

But, since we are into the early nitro age, and we know British sportsmen still like

bigger BPEs for Cape Buffalo, it would have to be two of George Gibbs’ best Farquharsons! 461 No.2 and 303 British.

Huvius, you have way too much damn money. Want to shoot with you sometime.

Or, if we go full nitro and want to tote some very special rifles, we could go with a pair of Webley. An 1897 in 400/360 and a 1902 in 500NE.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
If I had that pair of Westley Richards I think I could make do with that rebated rim on the 425. Nice!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh? popcorn

All The Best ...

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Heym big-bores:-

505 Gibbs : https://heym-fabrik.de/?produc...se-express-505-gibbs

577 NE : https://heym-fabrik.de/?produc...lround-doppelbuechse

Cool

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biggger-than-needed bores are fun, eh?
Maybe we need some jackaloping here.

For best dinosaur-hunting rifle,
only one at a time now,
bolt action, or double rifle,
what would you choose to take on a T. rex?
You will have a guide/PH packing his choice too.
Each of you can carry only one weapon on the time machine, unloaded in transit, 20-round belt or pack of ammo for each weapon.
You may have to run and dodge while carrying the gun.
No crew-served weapons allowed.
I would prefer an Apache helicopter with 30mm chaingun and HF missiles,
but that would not fit into the time machine.
One-specimen hunt, a T. rex only.
Get in and get out, hopefully alive.
Triceratops requires another trip ...

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
RIP,
the question is too easy.

A person takes an over-40 caliber with the HIGHEST SD flat-nose solid. An SD pushing .4 is desired, maybe a flat-nosed 450 grain .416" (.371 SD) or 550 grain .458" (.375 SD).

For larger calibers you would need a special run of bullets by CEB. The time machine would need to wait for a special order. Your Mbogo with a 700-grain flat-nose would be about right (.384 SD) at 2300fps, or perhaps a 750 grain (.412 SD) at 2250fps. You need a little more range on a predator so big, less so for the herbivorous.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 'big bores,' the 'easy' answer is still the .404 Jeffery.

Load it to the original specs (2000fps), using modern .423 bullets, and you won't have any problems.

It'll put down any of the Big Stuff right now, while imparting the softest felt-recoil of any in the '.400' class of African cartridges.

All The Best ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
416Tanzan,

Thanks for playing.
Yep, my pick for dinosaur hunting would be this 500 Mbogo, with the Nikon set on 1.1X, 1:9" twist to aid transition from air into Tyrannosaurus rex.

Brain shooting might be trickier tnan on an elephant, glancing angles on skull,
better aim for roof of mouth approach just before you get swallowed.
Sort of like hitting a volleyball inside of a Volkswagen.
But the heart would be a huge target, surrounded by lungs too, like shooting the refrigerator while standing in your kitchen.
Neck shot at base of skull, foramen magnum and vertebrae, if ambush possible, hit some bone.
Break a hip and the walks-on-two-legs lizard is going down!
Watch out for that thrashing tail.

FN solids better be feeding well, eh?
Maybe a single-loaded 700-grain blacktip at 2300 fps to tumble through the heart for starters?
Then a volley of specially designed 550-grain brass FN solids at 2600 fps: 67% Meplat, a la BBW#13.
But a 570-grain copper GSC FN at 2400 fps MV reliably penetrates over 8 feet, exiting on a Texas Heart Shot bison at 50 yards (on the hoof) and at 25 yards (post mortem test of repeatability, it worked).
That might do also.
Off-the-shelf, CEB .510/570-grainer might do even better, at 2500 fps MV:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
For T. rex, I want long range. I don't want to be close to that at all. 20mm rifle with high BC bullets. The tricky part is getting the CNS shot. If I have to be within a mile of one of those nasty T. rex I want a grenade launcher. If I have to go traditional and up close than I want a 2 bore double while I ride in a howdah on a much larger Dino. Like this...

quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Biggger-than-needed bores are fun, eh?
Maybe we need some jackaloping here.

For best dinosaur-hunting rifle,
only one at a time now,
bolt action, or double rifle,
what would you choose to take on a T. rex?
You will have a guide/PH packing his choice too.
Each of you can carry only one weapon on the time machine, unloaded in transit, 20-round belt or pack of ammo for each weapon.
You may have to run and dodge while carrying the gun.
No crew-served weapons allowed.
I would prefer an Apache helicopter with 30mm chaingun and HF missiles,
but that would not fit into the time machine.
One-specimen hunt, a T. rex only.
Get in and get out, hopefully alive.
Triceratops requires another trip ...

tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

I figured for sure you would want a pack train of saddled giant jackalope bucks with good horns on them.
They are agile, speedy, and ferocious defensive fighters, yet easily domesticated and protective of their riders.

When technology permits, the ultimate dinosaur 2-weapon battery would be
an Apache helicopter with 30mm chain gun

and an A-10 Warthog with that 30mm gattling gun.

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pretty good short SciFi story dealing with the subject: A Gun for Dinosaur

http://hell.pl/szymon/Baen/The...n/0743498747___8.htm

Read and enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The danger is the speed and verocity of the T. rex. Have you ever had a large lizard? They are quick and merciless. You will be lucky to get one aimed shot. In the future, we will bring back Dinosaurs with genetic technology but what will their instincts be like? If you are Jeff Bezos rich, you will probably be able to mail order some T. Rex eggs and raise them for meat and sport.
PS. Dinosaurs did not become extinct, Chuck Norris was just hungry that day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JORGE01,
Thanks for the link to the L. Sprague de Camp story.
The Autumn 2017 SPORTING CLASSICS magazine reprinted it, read it there.
Though the original date of publication isn't on it, I am guessing 1950s.
Obviously before 1956, after which year all dinosaur-hunting stories would at least mention the .458 Win.Mag.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck Norris is indeed a time traveler.
After eating all the dinosaurs,
he goosed that grizzly into attacking James Watts at One-Mile Creek.
Then about 20 years later he goosed Winchester into bringing out the .458 Win.Mag., aka .450 Watts Short.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
"A Gun for Dinosaur" appeared first in a 1956 pulp magazine.
Eventually there came 8 more stories about time-traveling PH Reggie Rivers that got collected into this book by de Camp:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Nice story. Sort of confirms my view of the 375 sofa , even though I'm glad my wife has one.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story JORGE01!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mort,
As you stated you have never been there but you would take that long list of guns and be prepared!! rotflmo you didn't have to tell us you had never been there, your choice was obvious! Eeker

That's a typical first timers list, but allow me to ellucidate somewhat: After your first trip hauling all that arsenal around airports for miles and unloading them and reloading them in that very heavy case at customs both USA, Holland, and Africa etc. with people threatening your very life as they wilt in line from African airport heat, knowing you caused them to miss their connection, then lets not forget the repeat trip home,

I allow you will be searching for the one 5 lb. scoped with iron sights rifle that will do all for your second trip..

Post is in jest, but has a lot of truth in it...

rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote