THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Any Love for the Obsolete .375 Dakota

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Love for the Obsolete .375 Dakota Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now that there is no longer any rifles , brass or factory ammunition being manufactured. The readily available and semi popular .375 Ruger. Anyone still using the .375 Dakota?
4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 375 Ruger is just making its bones now and is the 375 of the feature, its certainly the best of design of them all IMO..LIke the 338 win, got a slow start but times has put it at the top of the list, and still growing. why? it earned it in the field..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I built one for my brother.

He loves it and uses it all the time.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have been tempted to put together a .375 RUM.

But the only problem is that my .375 H&H Mag. chambered rifles just keep on killing what they're pointed at and never leave anything to be desired! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My favorite 375 is now the 376 Steyr. Plenty for most uses. And yes I still have 4 375 H&Hs.
Dakota; Not then and definitely not now.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
My favorite 375 is now the 376 Steyr. Plenty for most uses. And yes I still have 4 375 H&Hs.
Dakota; Not then and definitely not now.

Why do you prefer the 376 Steyr over the other 375’s?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
1: It has plenty of power especially for any NA game.
2: I can put them on Mauser actions without much modification; just a alight bolt face mod.
Do not tell anyone I am actually building and shooting Mausers! It makes some guys absolutely apoplectic.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm still enamoured with the original H+H variety on a 98 action + have 2. I know that the Col. was really promoting the 376 Steyr in a scout config. but I have never shot one.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All the current 375 cartridges are plenty good enough for anything in Africa.

The reason I developed our wildcats on the 404 case was because I don’t like belts.

And wanted more velocity.

I like to have 2800 fps with 300 grain bullets.

With my 375/404 that is a relatively mild load.

But, it has been working very well for so many years.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the 375 Ruger is just making its bones now and is the 375 of the feature, its certainly the best of design of them all IMO.

I agree

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wanted less velocity. And no longer wanted to lengthen 98 actions for the H&H. That is not an optimal platform, although I have done many of them. The steyr will be about 100-150 fps slower.
As for the "Scout rifle" concept; I can't think of a more useless contraption ever invented. He just wanted to sell magazines. Not cartridge magazines.
If I want more power, I will go to a bigger hole; not faster 375s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Butchloc has one. I don’t know if he’s shot it much lately though.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dakota? A one time fad that faded fast.

Prefer my custom 375 H&H BRNO 602. As good or better a rifle than a Dakota, and there’s no flies on this Old School cartridge. It’s still here. Whistling

Where’s the .375 Dakota? Roll Eyes

All The Best … Wink

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 July 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
1: It has plenty of power especially for any NA game.
2: I can put them on Mauser actions without much modification; just a alight bolt face mod.
Do not tell anyone I am actually building and shooting Mausers! It makes some guys absolutely apoplectic.

I must be totally out of touch, but no surprise there. Some gun builders are apologetic about building rifles on Mauser actions? Being born in the mid-50s, that makes no sense to me. My son calls me a Fudd. Guess that’part of it.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 Weatherby in a 7.5 lb Rem XCR II (not a CRF action but a Rem 700). It will get 2800 fps with a 300g A-Frame and 2550 fps with a 350g Woodleigh HD SP. Rifle is a joy to carry, pretty impervious to weather, doesn't kick badly and is accurate. That being said I'd rather have a Model 70 CRF in 375 H&H.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are scads of cartridges that have come and gone, or nearly so, made by rifle manufacturers....Dakota, Jarrett, Ruger (RCMs), A-Square, Blaser, etc. I'll stick with the old standards.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Me too, can't think of a cartridge I can't live without that was created since 1965

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee i have one but (drumroll) i also have a 416 dakota these in a matched of 76's don allen made for me in the earfy 1990;s

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
During the time that I worked for Dakota the 375 Dakota did the worst in sales, as it relates to
the actual Dakota line of cartridges. They could have dropped the 375 Dakota altogether and I don't think anyone would have cared or even noticed.

The best sellers in the Dakota line were the 7mm the 330 and the 450 by far.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
With the 375 H&H and 375 Weatherby don't really understand the need for the other 375s. Maybe a 375 Whelen or 375-08 that would fit easily into a lever gun ...

Regards,

Chuck