THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Glass bedding v. Pillar bedding - M70 action

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass bedding v. Pillar bedding - M70 action Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On a model 70 big bore, what’s the consensus on bedding techniques? I see some say that pillar bedding weakens the stock since more wood is being hogged out? Is that the case? Or is it better to just glass the lug and rear of the action with no pillars?

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I do both. When wood is removed for the pillars, they are held in with epoxy which fills in any gaps and the epoxy is probably stronger than the wood that was removed.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Completely different reason for each, so it is not a one or the other.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Completely different reason for each, so it is not a one or the other.

I realize the benefits that each offer. But is it better to forgo the benefits that pillar bedding provides for a possibly stronger stock?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes. pillar bedding is unnecessary in most cases.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You changed and simplified the answer by including the words "big bore", I suggest tight bedding from one end to the other and two cross bolts ofa big bore intended for Africa or Alaska..I see no reason to piller bed a hunting rifle..BTW as to the recoil lug, its been said that end grain wood is stronger than glass?? I think that may be fact, but wouldn't argue the point, as its meaningless ????

On safari or Alaska hunting I believe glass is needed with cross bolts and a good idea to have a glass bedding kit etc. in your gear in case tembo or nitwit steps or rolls over your prize rifle, its happened many times..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote