New
Find
Notify
Tools

AHR Model 70 Upgrade Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
I finally got around to taking some not very good pictures of a rifle Wayne put together for me a while back.

I was looking for a .458 WM that would be lighter to carry than a CZ. I found a LNIB Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Express. I had some misgivings about buying it because my experience with factory rifles has been mixed. I talked to Wayne at AHR and he said he could go through it and make sure it ran properly. We left it that he would go through it and we would discuss exactly what upgrades I wanted when he had done that.

The Classic Super Express has the "classic" action but a different stock, bottom metal, rear sight, and front swivel attachment than the later Safari Express. It is also lighter, and my plan was to make sure we did not weight it down.

Wayne did what is essentially his "Level 3 Upgrade" to it, restocking it (with a grip cap instead of his usual wood finish at the grip), adding new sights, and adding Graphite GunKote to the metal.

We went with Williams bottom metal with the inside-the-bow release:

For the front sight, I asked for a flip-up night bead, a bevel filed on the brass bead, and a flip-over hood.

For the rear sight, I asked for just one standing leaf. Wayne had to fabricate it because the front sight was pretty high.

The rifle came in at the weight we discussed of ~8-1/2 pounds, the sights work very well, and it looks good too. Most important though is that he went though it with the different bullet profiles I expect to use. There is a lot of peace of mind I get from having a professional go though it. I know some people never have a problem with a factory rifle, but that is not how it usually goes with me...

The bottom metal, sights, and grip cap added some extra cost but are the kind of touches that make the rifle mine.

Hopefully I will get to actually hunt with it soon!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Hell of a nice rifle there. Enjoy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine looking rifle.

Hope your dream of using it soon is a Christmas present this year!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great rifle. Should be really.nice to hunt with at that weight.

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of badboymelvin
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle Smiler

...and in a great caliber! tu2

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...

Posts: 160 | Location: Melbourne, Australia  | Registered: 19 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the choice of sighting. Very nice rifle and weight where it should be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to big bores, Wayne certainly knows his stuff.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I really like how the sights came out on this. I shamelessly stole the idea from other rifles on here.

quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
When it comes to big bores, Wayne certainly knows his stuff.

Yes, and he is a pleasure to work with -- professional, timely, knowledgeable, what more can I say?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. That is just what I would want.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who made that bottom metal?
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
Who made that bottom metal?
Matt
Noted in original post - made by Williams.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Charles! Looks like a pleasure to carry as well as pleasing to the eye!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Needs to find an elephant and or a buff!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle Charles. Time to christen that piece in Africa. Cannot be said enough in my opinion, Wayne at AHR is a pleasure to work with and does good quality work.

Mike

Posts: 21186 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good looking rifle. I too, am a very happy customer of Wayne and AHR. Dealing with him on a Model 70 and on a CZ was a real pleasure.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. I am working on a return to Africa -- hoping to get some details sorted out here before the end of the year and then get something booked.

quote:
Originally posted by Edod:
Very good looking rifle. I too, am a very happy customer of Wayne and AHR. Dealing with him on a Model 70 and on a CZ was a real pleasure.

I was fortunate to have him do a CZ upgrade in .375 a while back as well -- I could swear I posted these before but here it is:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the flip up night sight setup. Does it fold down flush? Looks like it is peeking up a bit? Just curious. I have has one good experience with AHR and hope to have more in the future.

I guess I need less rifles and more custom rifles...........

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Thanks gentlemen. I am working on a return to Africa -- hoping to get some details sorted out here before the end of the year and then get something booked.

quote:
Originally posted by Edod:

I was fortunate to have him do a CZ upgrade in .375 a while back as well -- I could swear I posted these before but here it is:

From dog turd to beauty queen with one phone call! Nice looking rifle..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. I like both!!!

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
I like the flip up night sight setup. Does it fold down flush? Looks like it is peeking up a bit? Just curious. I have has one good experience with AHR and hope to have more in the future.

I guess I need less rifles and more custom rifles...........

It sticks up enough to flip it out with.

Wayne is great to work with and we picked up another parcel from him this week. Need to take some pictures of that one.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Love them, Charles.

Well conceived and executed rifles, both. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13376 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a beautiful rifle. Wayne's work is superb!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious if Wayne welded or pinned the bolt handle?

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Curious if Wayne welded or pinned the bolt handle?

My understanding is that both are original. On the CZs, he fills and straightens them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt handle on the M70 is attached via a "spline" to the bolt body and they have been known to detach. D'Arcy Echols now pins them in place after experiencing such a failure. I sent mine to Accu-TIG and had if welded. Just a thought on a DG rifle.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
The bolt handle on the M70 is attached via a "spline" to the bolt body and they have been known to detach. D'Arcy Echols now pins them in place after experiencing such a failure. I sent mine to Accu-TIG and had if welded. Just a thought on a DG rifle.

I did not ask Wayne to do anything special on the bolt handle on the M70 but one can always ask.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Congratulations on a wonderful rifle project. I did
not know AHR worked on rifles other than CZ.
homer
Can you show a picture of the cheek piece on your
fine Winchester .458 WM please?

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:

Can you show a picture of the cheek piece on your
fine Winchester .458 WM please?

I kind of rushed the pics and did not shoot both sides. Will try to do that when I get a chance.