New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Capstick Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
I'm surprised I don't see more people shooting them. I just missed out on a Model 70 Big 5 rifle in 470 Capstick about 8 years ago. If I hadn't I wouldn't have my 500 Jeffery. Seems like it should hit a bit harder than 458 Lott (larger bullet diameter, a bit more speed). Wondering why.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had one built on a BRNO 602 Action with a Pacnor barrel. It handles great and holds 5 down. It is easier on the shoulder than my .500 Jeffery. It was an easy conversion from .375 H&H. It needed very little work to get it to feed.

Posts: 4 | Location: South West Colorado | Registered: 09 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Custom African Express in 470 Capstick. It was only offered in the catalog a single year. This is an upgrade over the Big 5 and Safari Express offerings and several have told me that I have the only one ever made. Don't know if it is true because I have not been able to get a reply from anyone who has records. But, it is a beautiful rifle most think is a Dakota.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you both! I love my 500 Jeffery but have always lusted after a 470 Capstick.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
winchester ruined the 470 capstick with overbore barrels...

there's certainly more than 1 example.

my 470 and 476 are a bit better, and feed easier

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the bush what does a 470 Capstick do that the 458 Lott cannot do?

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hits a little harder, what does a 458 Lott do that a 458 Win Mag won't do?

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso’s 475 and 476 are awesome!!!
I would chose those over the Capstick and hade done so.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
winchester ruined the 470 capstick with overbore barrels...

there's certainly more than 1 example.

my 470 and 476 are a bit better, and feed easier

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
In the bush what does a 470 Capstick do that the 458 Lott cannot do?

I own two of the Big 5 in 470 Capstick. I am not a reloader so, the 458 Lott serves me better, and my Dakota Safari 458 Lott is my choice (8.5lbs.) over the Capstick. If I reloaded, I might have taken the 470 to Africa, but as it is, I now hunt with my Lott and 404 Jeffery instead.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If you ever want to let one of those go, I may know a buyer Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
If you ever want to let one of those go, I may know a buyer Smiler

You have a pm.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting is it ballistically equal to a .470 Moro?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I think the spec is a 500g bullet at 2400 fps

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
I'm surprised I don't see more people shooting them. I just missed out on a Model 70 Big 5 rifle in 470 Capstick about 8 years ago. If I hadn't I wouldn't have my 500 Jeffery. Seems like it should hit a bit harder than 458 Lott (larger bullet diameter, a bit more speed). Wondering why.

I have a 470 Capstick for sale. Check your PMs

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I have a Winchester Custom African Express in 470 Capstick. It was only offered in the catalog a single year. This is an upgrade over the Big 5 and Safari Express offerings and several have told me that I have the only one ever made. Don't know if it is true because I have not been able to get a reply from anyone who has records. But, it is a beautiful rifle most think is a Dakota.

I've got a Winchester "Custom Express" in 470 Capstick. Built in 1993 by the custom shop. Its the only one I've ever seen like it.
Its MUCH heavier that the "Big 5" or the "Safari Express" series rifles.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Roberts:
quote:

I've got a Winchester "Custom Express" in 470 Capstick. Built in 1993 by the custom shop. Its the only one I've ever seen like it.
I wondered if anyone had done it that way, as the Custom Shop claimed they would build anything, the chambering could be ordered by anyone. By the way, I say claimed, because I attempted to order a 416 Rigby from the custom shop and they declined the order.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I wondered if anyone had done it that way, as the Custom Shop claimed they would build anything, the chambering could be ordered by anyone. By the way, I say claimed, because I attempted to order a 416 Rigby from the custom shop and they declined the order.

The 416 Rigby was actually published in the catalog at one time. Had a part number too. As I remember so did the Lott.

I called them to verify the Rigby and they said it was a 'publishing error." I said, "even the part number?" She didn't think that was funny.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I received a phone call from an Engineer that worked in the custom shop many years ago that wanted to sell me a current production Model 70 barreled action that was chambered for 416 Rigby. The time frame is a bit fuzzy as I'm not sure if this call occurred during or after the Custom shop folded in New Haven.

It was supposed to have all the proper proof marks on the barrel and the receiver to legitimize its existence. I'm sure I was never sent any pics. I believe he wanted $4000 for the barreled action which seemed reasonable but I had as much use for that barreled action as a fish needs a bicycle.

I was told it had been fired and was "functional". I was also aware that a couple of Model 70's had been built over the years by other gunsmiths on the Model 70. Al Biesen being one of them. At least one of these was on a Pre-64 or so the story goes.

Where it wound up was is anybody's guess.

The 470 Capstick suffered feeding issues from day one, meaning more then one would not feed a single round out of the magazine. I had a client and a good friend of his that both owned custom shop rifles chambered for the Capstick and returned them to the custom shop multiple times to correct this problem, This issue was never resolved those rifles went down the road.

At that time I received a one or two calls from owners that had the very same issues and wanted to know if I could fix them. As I was neck deep in other work I declined. Being fair to Winchester I believe one of the problems was caused by the A-Square Lion Load ammunition which had a very large lead frontal area that would deform when run into the existing geometry of the feed ramp on the those select Model 70's chambered for the Capstick.

Had they thought of changing the follower all would have been good I'm sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two Model 70's customized (375 and a 416 Rem). In the work I added a Sunneyhill drop box magazine included in the new custom wood stock.
I began having with the cartridges stove piping upon cycling the action.I was using the same magazine spring and follower than was in the original Model 70. Was told it would work.
Well not exactly at least in a heavier recoiling rifle.
The bottom of the magazine spring that slipped into the ears / sleeve floor plate would not stay in a position toward the rear of the floor plate. It would slide forward. When it slid forward perhaps 1/2" ( as far as it could go in the floor plate indentation it would create an pressure not compatible with feeding the cartridges. I looked everywhere for a spring that was long enough to fill the bottom of the floor plate so it would not move.
Ended up having a small plate welded to the bottom cavity of the floor plate filling the void with a little lip that held captive the spring in the correct position.
Actually reached out to Sunny Hill on the issue.
They were aware. Seems like they would have something in instructions on a fix or shorten the floor plate cavity to match the spring length.
Never an feeding issue since.

quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
I received a phone call from an Engineer that worked in the custom shop many years ago that wanted to sell me a current production Model 70 barreled action that was chambered for 416 Rigby. The time frame is a bit fuzzy as I'm not sure if this call occurred during or after the Custom shop folded in New Haven.

It was supposed to have all the proper proof marks on the barrel and the receiver to legitimize its existence. I'm sure I was never sent any pics. I believe he wanted $4000 for the barreled action which seemed reasonable but I had as much use for that barreled action as a fish needs a bicycle.

I was told it had been fired and was "functional". I was also aware that a couple of Model 70's had been built over the years by other gunsmiths on the Model 70. Al Biesen being one of them. At least one of these was on a Pre-64 or so the story goes.

Where it wound up was is anybody's guess.

The 470 Capstick suffered feeding issues from day one, meaning more then one would not feed a single round out of the magazine. I had a client and a good friend of his that both owned custom shop rifles chambered for the Capstick and returned them to the custom shop multiple times to correct this problem, This issue was never resolved those rifles went down the road.

At that time I received a one or two calls from owners that had the very same issues and wanted to know if I could fix them. As I was neck deep in other work I declined. Being fair to Winchester I believe one of the problems was caused by the A-Square Lion Load ammunition which had a very large lead frontal area that would deform when run into the existing geometry of the feed ramp on the those select Model 70's chambered for the Capstick.

Had they thought of changing the follower all would have been good I'm sure.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
See page 41 for the Rigby: https://www.winchesterguns.com...tingarms-catalog.pdf

Looks like they were at least trying to make it happen...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had rifles in most all of the big-bore calibers, but was never interested in the Capstick. No factory ammunition, few components, variations in bore diameter, and limited rifle production in the this caliber made it a poor choice in my eyes. Plus, it doesn't do anything that several other popular calibers meet or exceed.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a custom model 70 in 470 capstick in Alaska . It has broken 4 stocks and every scope put on it .I shot it twice enough for me .I like the 416 rem mag way better and can shoot it well !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to buy one from a local shop when USRAC was offering the Model 70 Big 5 rifle series. This was right before we became awash in good .458 Lott brass and other options to make Capstick brass so I passed on the rifle.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have A-Square's original catalog puff piece on the cartridge when it was first offered in the mid 90's.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love those big clunky A-Square rifles. They're retro-cool. :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Not sure why those had feeding issues. I’ll stick with my .470 double no feeding issues there Wink If I came across one I might buy it though just because

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Capstick was on a Winchester Enfield and it fed just fine..The only down side on it was that in a 45 cal. I didnt feel like I needed more, and sold the Capstick..A good handloaded 458 Win suited me, but I ended up hunting with a Lott and loaded it down to just a little more than the Win..I believe the Lott with a 500 gr. Woodleigh or 550 gr. Woodleigh at 2250 or 2100 to be ideal for all that walks..All that said I mostly used the 416 Rem and 404 with the 450 gr. woodleigh and found it ideal also, with much less recoil...Bottom line all the big bores are about the same as far as I could tell..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The 416 Rigby was actually published in the catalog at one time. Had a part number too. As I remember so did the Lott.

I called them to verify the Rigby and they said it was a 'publishing error." I said, "even the part number?" She didn't think that was funny.

Yep, my experience was I called in the order from the catalog and got a call back a couple days later that they would not do it. Pretty bad that you put it in the catalog with a part number then decline to make it.

posted Hide Post
I’ve got Winchester custom shop model 70s in 416 Rigby, 416 Remington and 458 Lott. Other than my 416 Rigby, I’ve never seen another one. I think they are pretty rare.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seant:
I’ve got Winchester custom shop model 70s in 416 Rigby, 416 Remington and 458 Lott. Other than my 416 Rigby, I’ve never seen another one. I think they are pretty rare.

according to rumor, your riby is 1 of 2 actually built

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With todays shortages of brass, powder, primers I think Id pick up a 458, punch it out to the Lott and load it down a bit say 2200, 2250 wih a 500 gr bullet soft and solid...And figure on shooting a lot of std 458 ammo in it, at least for fun saving the Lott for hunting..Have the option of a non wildcat is smart these days..for what its worth advise wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote