THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    M70 .416 safari express won't eject empty cases.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 .416 safari express won't eject empty cases. Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok I had a post here about weak ejection especially on last round. Got new steel follower and works great on loaded rouds. When I went to test fire it has weak/unreliable ejection of the spent cases.

Ideas?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it droping the cases? Where? Could be a number of things, more details please.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like the extractor is not grabbing the cases there is noticeable play front to back. I am thinking the bolt is out of spec as I have switched the extractors around with my .375 and works fine. I will swap the entire bolts and see if that works. That would narrow it down to the fit on the bolt itself. They are the Williams extractors not the mim ones. It will not hold a case worth a damn if you pull the bolt and try to hook one under the claw

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I took my 2 old 90's MIM extractors and put each one on. They were both tighter. One was really nice, like the extractor on the other 2 rifles (Williams). It seems to eject an empty case but most cases are deformed so it is a one shot deal if at all. Now I "may" have a working gun with a MIM extractor, not what I wanted.

It appears the channel where the extractor rides in near boltface "may" be to wide, as that seems to be the cause of the play front to back with the extractor. My question is this: Is there a way to tighten that up? Can you get an oversize quality extractor and fit it to bolt?

This is brand new gun I bought in 06 from new haven and recently decided to shoot it and it has not ejected properly from day one. New metal floorplate and it ejects loaded rounds, but at the range it was weak and dismal ejecting empty cases. Must have been the last rifle they made at the plant and no one cared.

At least I got one extractor that seems to fit, but I was trying to avoid MIM parts.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would put it back together the way it came and send it to Winchester for warranty work.
The people I dealt with at Winchester one year ago were very helpful, eager to please and it was my fault.
If you start "fitting" and whittling on it then it will be your problem to fix.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK thanks wasn't sure about the warranty. How long did it take?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Winchester service center 5 week time frame i'll send it back.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mine came back door to door about 2 weeks maybe less from when I shipped it until I received it.
They were exceptional to deal with. Like I said it was my error and they didn't even laugh at me. Smiler

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK good to hear!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
It looks like the extractor is not grabbing the cases there is noticeable play front to back. I am thinking the bolt is out of spec as I have switched the extractors around with my .375 and works fine. I will swap the entire bolts and see if that works. That would narrow it down to the fit on the bolt itself. They are the Williams extractors not the mim ones. It will not hold a case worth a damn if you pull the bolt and try to hook one under the claw

DON'T SWAP THE BOLT!! You may alter the headspace on the rifle resulting in a dangerous condition if it is fired.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just for cycling to test ejection. Which works BTW so it is a bad extractor-bolt

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
DON'T SWAP THE BOLT!! You may alter the headspace on the rifle resulting in a dangerous condition if it is fired.

So here is my Winchester Warranty story.
A few years ago I entered a 4 rifle raffle put on by Chic Worthing. Somehow I was able to win this raffle, 4 Win M70 SuperGrades. A 22/250, .270, 300 Win Mag and a 375 H$H.
I could not have been more excited!. Each rifle came packed in the factory carton with exceptional wood, fit and feel were superb.
I left them in the boxes for nearly 2 years while I gathered scopes and bases and rings to outfit them. While getting ready for an upcoming hunt I scoped the 300 and .270 trying to decide which one to take, tough choice they both shot sub 1" groups with factory ammo however the .270 wouldn't eject empties or loaded rounds for that matter, upon further inspection I noticed it had a Magnum bolt fact so I box it up and send to Winchester (actually Browning) for the warranty.
A really nice guy calls me and tells me that the bolts were mixed up with my rifles and to get the rifles out and check. Sure enough the 300 had the bolt for the 375, the 375 had the 270 bolt and the 270 had the 300 bolt.
When the 270 got home I was able to complete the swap and all rifles function flawlessly now.
Until that time that I scoped 2 of them I had never had more than one rifle unboxed at a time so I know it happened somewhere before I took possession of them.
And incredibly I didn't have any headspace issues or blow ups! Even with a 375 bolt in the 270....
So not only was I lucky that I won the set of 4 rifles, I was lucky I didn't blow 2 of them up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mines in, they say its fixed, can't tell me what they did, waiting to ship back. Fast turnaround

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Anxious to hear about the repair and how Winchester / Browning handled it for you....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be here Thursday. Only thing they said was new extractor. Interested to see if properly fixed which can only be done by a range session. I will update with results....

White Mountains Arizona