THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Charging Buff Practice (video)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charging Buff Practice (video) Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
4 shots from a 404 in about 4 seconds... on a "charging" buff target thumb

Click on link below to see the videos. They are at the bottom of the home page.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fast shooting... but did any of them hit the brain?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like fun! I think that slight angle makes it a little harder than shooting straight on. Very nice shooting as at least the last three shots were in the brain!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I watched the "double" video first.

This is all in fun but shows that 4 shots from a bolt are going to be faster than same from a double.

It also shows the real need for a double: when the "buff" is about on your toes and there is only enough time to pull the trigger twice.

The rest is just romance.

Thanks for sharing.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19306 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Video.

Funny that the closer the buff gets the quicker the shots. Real good snap shooting.

How far was the buff target on the 1st shot?

How quickly does a real buff cover that distance in a real live charge?

I read some where that a buff can cover 100 yards in about 6 seconds during a charge. Wonder how the figure that?

Love your rifles. Especially the 404.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Neat idea for a fun day shooting. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I watched the "double" video first.

Huh?? Did I miss a double video somehow?? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: Never mind! Found it....whoda thunk it'd be in the Double Rifle Forum? bewildered moon

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!!!!!... i've gotta try that!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom Kessel set up a mover something like this except the full sized frontal view of the buf is made of mine conveyor belt. A jug of water is placed on hook on the chest of the buf and a coke bottle of water is hung on the forehead of the buf.

Makes for LOTS of spectacular and exciting fun and quite good practice!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jakkals:
Very Nice Video.
How far was the buff target on the 1st shot?

Love your rifles. Especially the 404.

Gerhard

That "buff" starts moving from about 25-yards and his first shot is probably @ 20-yards.

As a point of refrence, that white target in the video (the farthest one away) is at 50-yards.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've gotta say it's an entertaining video - but it's bugger all like a charging Buffalo..... or charging anything for that matter.

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Figure out how to make pain if you fail to hit the kill zone. Then you have a training system. Maybe jury-rig a dog training collar. If you miss... the buff "gets" you.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I've gotta say it's an entertaining video - but it's bugger all like a charging Buffalo..... or charging anything for that matter.

As an old boss of mine used to say; “You have a keen grasp of the obvious.â€

We're all in agreement that the exercise is a little benign, but we have come up with a more "realistic" alternative...

We've rigged up a motorcycle with a buff head target on the handle-bars and are looking for volunteers to "charge" us on the motorcycle - driving as fast as he wants and maneuvering as he wants – all in order to be as "realistic" as possible.

So far the list of volunteers is short.

Yes, we know it's not "realistic," but until someone shows up in Texas with a cape buffalo or decides to charge us on this motorcycle... it's the best we've got.
Roll Eyes

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
a buff is much faster than that...

put some more weights on it to make it go faster...

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
use an r.c. car...they are fast enough some go 60 mph!

make a target holder with wing nuts and poster board cut outs

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why hasn't anyone bought a small breeding herd of cape buffalo and brought them to Texas? The asiatic breed is there, and they are reported to be about as obnoxious as their african cousins...

Rich
NEA Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great concept.. got to learn fast shooting on a mover some how!!
I can see this at a bubba shoot sometime!!

Rich,
There was a try, about 20 years ago, to bring cape into texas.. i know of TWO surviving animals. the quarrentine was like 6 months. This is more or less in reaction to cape buffalo being confused with bison, and ranchers have a HATRED of bison (american buffalo) that is unfounded in fact on them bearing disease.

Though the second someone got hurt, this piece of legislation would be updated to include african buffalo
quote:
“CANNED HUNTS†(DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard,
cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed,
nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.
p.72 Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Outdoor Annual 2005-2006 REGULATIONS SUMMARY

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats easy...
when your a$$ has not sucked all the remaining oxygen from the area.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Maybe some of the guys who have been around here a long time will remember a very funny post about a simulated charging elephant target system. It required a couple of friends to help setting you on fire, etc. Anyone recall the post or the poster's name?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HATRED of bison (american buffalo) that is unfounded in fact on them bearing disease.

It is brucellosis and not totally unfounded.

Brucellosis

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read some where that a buff can cover 100 yards in about 6 seconds during a charge. Wonder how the figure that?

I think I read a lion can cover 100 meters in less than 5 seconds and is a much smaller target. You might be able to side step a bovine if you try but not a cat.

How about starting in the gun down position with your back to the critter.
Or close your eyes, have someone turn you around a few times. When you hear go you open your eyes and turn to shoot from the gun down postion.

I checked it with a stop watch.... 4.28 seconds first shot to last. They said Lee Harvey Oswald could not do that!!!!

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Mike Starling has stated I made one of those 8 years ago with the chest included---Put a "o" ring in the chest and hang a gallon laundry detergent jug with red food coloring in it and you will have red soapy blood running down your buffalo and fasten a coke bottle under the horns for your second shot for the brain.
Also make one with a lion and stand to the side for a left/right shot is fun and good practice---SHOOT BIG BORES------Tom

Posts: 74 | Location: Mountains of WV | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Do you have photos of your buff and lion targets?

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAKKALS:
I 'll take a photo the next time I go to the farm------------Tom

Posts: 74 | Location: Mountains of WV | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Fast shooting... but did any of them hit the brain?

I slowed the video down and it looks like he hit the target 4 out of 4 times. A little around the edges on a couple, but in the circle. I'd guess at least two would have hit the brain and a third was a little low but would have been pretty debilitating. The last was off to the right a bit.

Great shooting regardless.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me, that is very good shooting with a big bore rifle. The last shot must have been at about 6 feet. I would guess nigh on impossible with a scope, even a low power. What do you think?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
At that range you are just shooting instinctively. It is darn good shooting for sure.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Actually, all of those videos are pretty cool. Sure, it's not a real buff, but it gets you into the habit of making precisely placed shots in rapid succession. They also show the difference between the speed of a double and a bolt. The first two shots with a double are clutch, it's just that reloading thing that slows you down. Smiler

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote