Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458WM 450gr load data Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First off I'm currently loading 400gr JSP @2200 FPS for my plinking load out of my 458WM. I have a buffalo hunt booked in the Selous block L1 this August, and would like to use either North Fork's FN 450gr or Barnes TS 450gr either at about 2100-2200 FPS.
Is there anyone reading this post that has load data for the Barnes TS for that speed using H4895? Or for the NF? Out of a 24" bolt gun.
Thank you gentlemen for any sun you may shine onto this for me. ALP#4

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
JPK sent this to me. Maybe he will chime in and answer any other specifics you might want.

450gr North Fork flat nose solid
BULLET SEATED TO AND CRIMPED IN THE SIXTH GROOVE
H 4895, 71.5grs
Norma cases
Federal 215 primer
2190fps out of 26" barrels

My rifle is a double rifle and I only load to shoot to regulation, which isn't near max. With 26" barrels I get a velocity boost but then my loads are not too far from starting either. You can do as well or better with a bolt with a 24" or, I'd bet, even a 22" barrel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36534 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...load data for the Barnes TS for that speed using H4895?

Page 718 of Barnes Reloading #3 has recipes for IMR4895 using the 450gr X bullet. Hodgdon 4895 should be very similar. Start at about 68gr and work up until you get the speed you desire, or signs of high pressure arise.

Always refer to the Barnes manual when loading their solid copper or bronze bullets.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in about my load, given above...

The sixth groove down from the top seats the bullet further out than you might get away with in a bolt rifle. According to Mike Brady, it is still under max COL though. This seating depth was well off the lands in my rifle, but if you try this load you should check that you are off the lands. Start Lower of course!

That said, for buffalo, you don't need the flat nose solids, imo. Penetration with the flat nose solids is phenominal and unneccesary for buff. I would instead try North Fork's cup point which, according to Mike Brady, can be expected to penetrate 20% less and expand just a bit. To me that would make it the ideal buff bullet, though I have not tried the cup points.

In combination with a good soft point, like North Fork's soft, or another premium soft, you will have all you need, imo.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote