THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Jeffery?
Gibbs?
Weatherby?
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Boom,

Not a Rigby case either and at this point we’re holding off on identifying the specific case.

The .500” caliber 50 MDM TiN coated reamers and gauges are on order, one week down. A single set of case forming and full length resizing dies will be produced once the reamers are received. Then it’ll be off to gunsmith consultation with spec case dummies in hand loaded with the horror of all horrors large diameter metaplat FN solids and similarly dimensioned HPs. If the cartridges fail to retain within and flawlessly feed from a Sound Metal Products new magazine in a M98 then little is lost in the endeavor other than some time and money.

If the 50 MDM works flawlessly with the M98 as we’re hoping, then reamers and gauges will be off to Michael for Brian’s use at SST so that we have a single source for reamer and gauge sets for the new cartridge.

We’re not trying to be secretive though it may appear so, we’re just attempting to dampen interest in the new cartridge until we can prove or disprove its design...and we're a few months away from doing so.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
boom stick
one of us

Posted Nov 11, 3:52 PM Hide Post
Jeffery?
Gibbs?
Weatherby?

Boomy>>>>>>> bewildered

Michael>>>>>> animal

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
He was being coy about the case that this is being made on... not a RUM or Rigby
Could it be a derimmed 500 Nitro case?

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Boomy,

rotflmo
quote:
Jeffery?
Gibbs?
Weatherby?
Big Grin
quote:
He was being coy about the case that this is being made on... not a RUM or Rigby
Could it be a derimmed 500 Nitro case?
Reminds me of my son, he'll pester you to death to try to find out what you've already told him you'd tell him later!rotflmo

My lips are semi-sealed Cool but Michael can spill the beans should he desire. Big Grin

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy, not even close! nilly killpc

Michael>>>>>>>> stir

Jim>>>>>> Roll Eyes

HEH!

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boom

Want to see a pic of the cartridge???
fishing

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Is a bear in the woods with a funny hat catholic?

Yes!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boom

I don't have a pic.
sofa
rotflmo animal

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This reminds me when I went fishing and caught a sucker fish... only I am the fish Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
fishing

Hold on boys, got a big one on the hook!!!
dancing
wave

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
fishing

Might have to have a hand with this one, Jim can you help me out?

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Ok,here's the picture:

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It looks like a RUM case...
What is it?

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
fishing

Might have to have a hand with this one, Jim can you help me out?
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
It looks like a RUM case...
What is it?
It's back to you Michael. coffee

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
OK OK OK, Boomy, I knew you would not quit until we are all insane.

By the way, I was out for a few minutes, let you stew and cook a bit.

Jim first got his hands on some Ruger Basic brass--that's right, Ruger Basic by Hornady. So we have been playing with it a little. Smaller than the RUM by some, bigger than the basic HH. We both thought it the perfect fit for a standard action in .500. Can't see it in the photo, but it will have a little ghost shoulder on it, not too far from the 500 MDM. It's a cool looking cat for sure. My side of the dirt having issues with getting it to retain and fit proper in the standard Win M70---like one chambered in 300 Win. It would fit in the 300 RUM without issue, but so does the 500 MDM. The goal for me was a 500 in the standard, easy available action. But I learned the hard way Win did a hell of a lot of modifications to the standard action to fit that 300 RUM case. Great for the 404 based cartridges, and great for 500 MDM and others. But the standard unmodified action is not so easy. We are still looking at it for the Winchesters, but iffy right now.

Jim on his side of the dirt is investigating other rifles, M98s is his gig. He can tell you from that side what he knows and what we might be doing there. In fact I have really been not much more than an assist, Jim has put a tremendous amount of energy and work into this. It has just been a little more difficult than I thought it would be.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Now that Michael has spoken , here’s a little more information;
500 MDM Ultra:
Case Capacity: 128.5grs gross, 96.9grs with 550gr FN, and 101.1gr with 510gr FN.
50 MDM:
Case Capacity: 116.9grs gross, 85.8grs with 550gr FN, and 90.3gr with 510gr FN.
50 B&M:
Case Capacity: 100.7grs gross, 69.6grs with 550gr FN, and 74.1gr with 510gr FN.

The 50 MDM is designed to fit within standard length magazines at 3.300” cartridge overall length and all in all if the 50 MDM feeds properly from the M98 it’ll fit very nicely between the 500 MDM Ultra long action and the 50 B&M short action cartridges.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Yeah my next guess was the ruger case...
cool Cool

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah my next guess was the ruger case...
cool Cool
Originally it was designed on both shortened RUM and Jeff cases but Michael wanted a smaller diameter brass. The Ruger basic brass fit Michael’s specification very nicely with great test results between QuickDESIGN, QuickLOAD, and QuickTARGET using 20” through 22” barrel variables.

Now its on to the next phase.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

Next guess Ruger case,, Yeah right!!! bewildered

We had you!!! At least a little while. I knew it would only be a matter of time you would catch up! Can only pull the rug out from under you so much! Won't keep Boomy in the dark long for sure!

But we are not there yet, so far it has been a challenge, more so than any of the other cartridges.

Well I am out of here for a few days. Catch you guys next week.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post

Now what the world needs is a 577 version of the 500 B&M
Cut the 500 Jeffery brass off at the 2.3" shoulder and stuff with a 577 bullet.

Same concept as the short action 500 MDM just fatter. 650 grain softs @ 2,000 ???

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Boomy,

Ed Hubel has already created the 577 ShortHE which is almost the exact cartridge. Here's the link to his thread:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6521043/m/5131059901

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

Well that's a good thought, but reckon I will stay with where I am right now. Everyone has a niche they fit into. Up to .500 was my little niche, and Ed has the 577s covered pretty well. In fact as I understand Ed's latest is a straight rimless and works exactly like the 50 B&M, using the extractor to control headspace, in fact I feel rather honored by that. Great ideas however, but I will stay with my niche in the world.

Michael.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what does that boy smoke?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38357 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy Smoke??? Hmmm, not sure, but I might give it a go if I had a chance!
hilbily

Nahh, reckon I better stick with the Gray Goose, I can handle that, anything else might be more than my meds can handle!
dancing

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed's is a 2.7" Gibs case for a standard action
This would have the rigby size rim and work in short actions
Smoke? Good cigars Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 2.7" is for regular actions like
Ruger, WIN, Savage, Mausers. Uses the same
headspace principle as the B&M cases.
And cases are easier to get than Jeffrey
and are not rebated like Jeffrey. To much rebate
with Jeffrey. And Jeffrey base at .619" with
585 slug in it, cut off at shoulder would be
about .611" mouth case.To little taper?
Too much rebate?.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The Gibs case to 2.4" would be better but was thinking that the formed Jeffery cases would just need to be trimmed and expanded. the "Neck" area would be about .5" so the body would be only be about 1.75" long.
Also would a WSM action take a Gibs size rim? I dont know.

Just a thought but yes the Gibs would be better.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The Gibs case to 2.4" would be better but was thinking that the formed Jeffery cases would just need to be trimmed and expanded. the "Neck" area would be about .5" so the body would be only be about 1.75" long.
Also would a WSM action take a Gibs size rim? I dont know.

Just a thought but yes the Gibs would be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Regular 3.3" mag actions can be lengthened .30"
as it is done all the time.So shorter actions
can be lengthened the same and end up for 3.2" or so
use. The 585 Short HE with 650 gr is 3.2" oal,
and with some cast slugs here is 3.15" or less.
It is about proportions of the shape to get
capacity to equal strong 577NE loads. Without
real hot pressures so the brass will last.

And as you see in this thread to get 50cal
performance up to what they wanted, without
running 80,000 psi peak pressures, they did add
length beyond what the 50 B&M had, to make the
50 BDM and 500 BDM, with lengths like my 585 Short HE.
So mine is a big brother following a good deal.
And I have huge brass supply.

And I always felt that what your using shouldn't
have to be loaded to so high of peak pressures that cases
are expanded so much that you can't reload in the field,
with hand tools, like a regular press, instead of
needing super ED reworked press or hydraulic one..Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking Rifles. It must be very satisfing
to make those rifles.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
jro45

I assume you are talking about the B&M series rifles I have posted. Thank you. I really have had a great time working with them, lot's of fun. But do let me set you straight, I could not build a rifle if my life depended on it! They do not allow me to have tools as for sure I will break something! Every once and awhile I can sneak a pair of vise grips into the gun room without anyone finding out. They for sure took away my motorized tools, as I could grind and drill away vital metal like no one else!

SSK Industries builds all my rifles, I just do the shooting!

Thanks
Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I am sure going to miss my super grade stock on my most favorite 50 B&M! Because of a crack in the forearm, that has already been repaired once, I decided to replace it with an Accuracte Innovations stock, with the aluminum chassis to absorb the recoil.

The super grade stock began to crack again after repaired, not much to do about it.

The aluminum chassis that solves all issues of this sort with my rifles, including the same thing with the 500 MDMs.

Pleased with my new stock, it's a nice Turkish that Jeff at AI picked out, did some nice checkering on it, so this will be it's new home from now on. Still going to miss that super grade stock however!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might be able to repair your "Super Grade" stock again then have Accurate Innovation install one of their "aluminum chassis"..

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Stainless and kevlar stock!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Low Wall

I asked AI about that and they said it would not work proper??? Don't know why, but guess it just does not fit into something that is already cut I think.

Boomy

kevlar stock, tacky Boomy, just tacky!

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone needs a great deal on a donor M70 WSM synthetic rifle for a B&M project I have a source for several NIB. AR member "Biebs" just got one and was well pleased. A long time friend who manages a gun department in a store has some inventory to move at giveaway prices. Just trying to help my fellow AR rifle loonies fuel their addictions. PM me for details/questions. Thanks, Russ Green.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Russ

PM sent, would like to get that info, can never have too many!

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent Cool

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Newbie here.

How much are these conversions running? That is, for a synthetic blue in .458.

Thanks,

Stu

Posts: 1 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 01 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Stu

It all depends on what you have done and your specs. Mine normally run from around $1200-$1500 depending on what I need on that particular rifle. The Ultimates so far have not needed any bedding, so that lowers the price some too. The NECG barrel band front and rear runs right at $300 of this installed. So it depends on your specs, but that is in the neighborhood.

Michael