THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
CRYBABY CRYBABY CRYBABY

Oh Yes--I am crying my eyes out this morning!!!!!

Last week I sent Andrews 500 MDM up to have Brian do some tuning on the right side of the magazine rails to retain!

I sent the rifle in MY BASTOGNE STOCK! Brian opens it, it is busted in two at the wrist! It is ruined!

CRYBABY

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss Michael.
That stick was going to be admired for generations I'm sure.

Break out the Grey Goose and give it a proper send off.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh man, still crying!!!!

It was this one, busted at the grip. Waiting on a call from Fed Ex concerning the insurance, but crap, it really can't be replaced, ya'll know how some things just can't be replaced even if Fed Ex coughs up the $$!

BROKEN!!!!!!!!!

CRYBABY

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Now that sucks big time!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch--

condolences

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Just received the photos from Brian!

CRYBABY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Damn that is just wrong.
What the hell are these delivery guys doing?
Do we need to ship our guns out of the stocks? In a steel plate case?
Maybe someone who shoots BR carts would want it and epoxy it.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
This damage had to be done in the warehouse moving it. It was packed in one of those semi-hard plastic cases, foam, bubble wrap, and in a gun sock as well. All this in a heavy shipping box. I think a fork lift hit it or maybe even ran it over right at that point.

Well, its part my fault for just being stupid too! I sent the rifle back to Brian to touch up the right side of the magazine, it would not retain as good as I like for one to. Need a stock for feed and function, but I might could have sent the gun on one of those cheap winchester plastic stocks, and not my damned bastogne! I should have made a better plan! One thing you can bet on, I won't be sending those stocks around anymore for minor missions like that. I will only send those stocks out if its 100% necessary! Damn!!! Damn and Damn again! Still crying and sick about it! But "Whatta Ya Gonna Do?"

So far Fed Ex is handling the claim very well! We will see, I had plenty of insurance on it, and since the rifle is not damaged at all, not a scratch, then I am only claiming the actual cost of the stock alone. We see what we see!

M

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Damnation...well, here's hoping that the replacement stock puts that one to shame! There is always that (slight) possibility!

I would also hold off on letting them off the hook for the metal until Brian has a good look at it. You don't want to be like the victim of a rear-end collision and waive your hospital charges only to wind up with some cervical damage that shows up later and you end up needing an anterior fusion... on your dime...

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Baxter, yes good idea. I imagine by now Brian has gone all through the rifle for that issue, and I have not heard from him, so no news is most likely good news!

Well, we move on to the next, nothing we can do about the last! We will sort it out!

I did receive that new 9.3 B&M today! New 19 inch one! Since I don't have wood to put it in I put it in a black ultimate, looks pretty spiffy! 19 inches might be the ticket? We will see.

Also, bolt is rough a bit on this one as well, I already fussed at Brian about that too! Noticed that this one has a serial number close to the 475 which it's bolt was a little sticky too? Will sort this out as well, one of the things with a new gun. I have snatched it now a couple of hundred times, oiled it good and it's getting better! Few more hundred and it might just slick itself up! HEH.....

New extractors in the 500s now! Hopefully testing them out some tomorrow.

Start shooting that 9.3 too!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael,
It's been almost 24hrs now! The peanut gallery gets antsy with that much delay…where are the pictures!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Photos of the Newest 9.3 B&M--19 Inch barrel.

I don't have any wood for this gun yet, it is supposed to get a super duper Exhibition grade Turkish, but I put it in one of these Ultimate Stocks--Wow, these little cheap ass Ulitmates are just incredible the way they feel and handle! This little rifle with the Wood and the Ulitmate option, is the Ultimate Medium Bore!

Shot it today with the 255 BBW#13 NonCons and 69/RL 15. This load gives 2700 fps in the 20 Inch wood gun above it, and 2655 in the 19 inch gun. That's quite a drop in velocity, of course some part of that might be just one barrel to the next you know, but most is that extra inch less! I figured to start loosing some in that small bore. Reckon I had it pretty close at 20 inches.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I spent most of the day on the range today! No terminals, but working with a few of the 500 MDMs and the different brass! Of course, I have two brand new Kegs of RL 10X, and NO THEY DON"T MATCH THE LAST ONE with velocity and the same charge! All are the EXACT SAME LOT # as well! Go Figure!

Here's the rundown on me, the 500 MDM, and RL 10X! Which--10X is THE POWDER, it does it best, in the cartridge, I have tried most everything else! Crazy stuff sometimes!

The Original Pressure Data with RL 10X and a 500 BBW#13 Solid gave me from 86/RL 10x 2300 fps 46000 PSI--UP to 102/RL 10X for 2617 fps at 62670 PSI. All with RUM brass.

The last Keg I tried in April and May, and used this in Zimbabwe, the old Keg it took 92/RL 10X to give me 2400 fps, that April/May Keg I had to drop to 88/RL 10X for 2410 fps. Same Lot Number!

I wanted to just load some 500 MDM for Paul, Sam and I to shoot next week and play with, but I had two brand new Kegs, and I decided to check them. Moderate load of 85/RL 10X April/May Keg gave me a nice little load with the 500 BBW#13 at 2324 fps. Very pleasant load. I tried the same load from New Keg#1 and New Keg#2 (now marked) and they both gave me 2392 fps. Almost back to 2400 fps.

So I started dropping the new Kegs down 83/RL 10X 2359 fps, 81/RL 10X 2310 fps, near a match to the 85/RL 10X in the April/May Keg--4grs less! I went ahead and dropped to 79/RL 10X for a very good and pleasant load to shoot at 2262 fps, and I think I will load this for shooting and playing around. I tried 81/RL 10X with the 460 BBW#13 NonCon for a pleasant 2345 fps.

When busting a new KEG OPEN--Start Low AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! If Alliant keeps going in this direction with RL 10X it won't be too many kegs in the future I will only have to use about 25 grs to get a 500 at 2400 fps!!!!!! hilbily

Now the BITCHING PART! I got 1000 pieces of very soft Horneber 500 MDM brass! OK, what is the MAX I can get out of this brass before it starts getting sticky???? With these new Kegs of RL10X?

The 500 BBW#13 Solid 73/RL 10X 2029 fps--Easy In, EASY OUT.

74/RL 10X--Easy In--Slightly Sticky 2074 fps

75/RL 10X--Easy In--Getting a little sticky coming out 2113 fps!

What can I get with the new Horneber Brass? Not Much! I dropped back to 74/RL 10X and 2074 fps and that is it!

I think I must see if I can get some better performance with the Horneber and the 450 North Forks!

RUM brass---What the cartridge is designed from--375 RUM--500 BBW#13 Solid 2617 fps 62000 PSI!

Quality Brass--Had good luck with it today and the new Kegs RL 10X, shooting 2300 fps and not too sticky.

Horneber--2074 fps.

That's a big spread!

Just can't get this damned head stamped 500 MDM brass right! Pain in the ass!

Gun is too big anyway! Damned thing weighs 8.5 lbs! Needs wheels! Barrels 21 inches long, musket size!

If you absolutely have to have Head Stamped brass, I am not there yet in the 500 MDM! And don't look too good for the future either! I am marking all barrels 375RUM/500MDM and maybe that will solve any issues we might run into. I won't be carrying a 500 MDM for some time now anyway.

More than likely, I will be sticking with the B&Ms and right now I have the hots on for that 475 B&M! hilbily

OH the Nikon African 1X4. It got another dose of 500 MDM all day today. Doing test work with the new Kegs of RL 10X that ate up 70 rounds, and then I fire formed some brass, another 25 rounds, almost a 100 of those today! This scope was on the 458 B&M, at least a couple of hundred rounds, and now probably 150 or so rounds of 500 MDM on it. Still holding, still looking good, zero issues. So far...........

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Photos of the Newest 9.3 B&M--19 Inch barrel.

I don't have any wood for this gun yet, it is supposed to get a super duper Exhibition grade Turkish, but I put it in one of these Ultimate Stocks--Wow, these little cheap ass Ulitmates are just incredible the way they feel and handle! This little rifle with the Wood and the Ulitmate option, is the Ultimate Medium Bore!

Shot it today with the 255 BBW#13 NonCons and 69/RL 15. This load gives 2700 fps in the 20 Inch wood gun above it, and 2655 in the 19 inch gun. That's quite a drop in velocity, of course some part of that might be just one barrel to the next you know, but most is that extra inch less! I figured to start loosing some in that small bore. Reckon I had it pretty close at 20 inches.

The 210gr Raptors look good for 2700fps, maybe even in an 18 inch barrel? Confused

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 210gr Raptors look good for 2700fps, maybe even in an 18 inch barrel? Confused

Yes, I think so.

Shooting the rat gun 9.3 B&Ms is just plain easy. They are easy to load, easy to shoot, shoot very well, and great to handle. So far however you do start losing velocity dropping below 20 inches. 20 inches is about optimum for length, weight, and give good performance for a medium.

The new stainless gun is rough as a cob however. I am shooting it as is for now, trying to see any and all bugs it might have. It will go back to Brian for some tuning of that bolt, get it nice and slick.

That 20 inch gun is incredible how slick it is. Of course that gun is going to Andrew for African Duty!

Smoking that 210 Raptor right now at over 2900 fps in the 20 inch gun. It's not close yet, I think it would do more! But I am not running pressures right now either.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
That beauty of rifles.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Michael,

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and all on this thread.

I am back from my 4 week european/Atlantic excursion. Carl has informed me my .458B&M rifle arrived from SSK and is very good looking and beats his with the synthetic stock. He is hunting New Mexico now - not finding anything to shoot however - and has promised to forward a pic to me after he returns home.

I am anxious to see my newest DG rifle and wonder if Brian happened to take a pic and forward it to you?

Glad to be back and eager to get some rounds for the .458B&M and make a range trip. Also have received the return of my .223Rem. So what's the latest on the .223Rem bullets for a 1:9 twist?

Mike

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Mike

MERRY CHRISTMAS BUDDY and welcome home!

No I have not seen your rifle! I know Carl likes it, and before he left we were talking about a stock for his as well! LOL.......... If he has been shooting, I have not heard of it yet.

Still working on the .223s. 40 Raptor is happy and good. Has shot a few deer, Sam shot one and almost blew it in two! HEH..... I received Friday a modified Raptor, sorta, more like a 50 gr BBW#13 NonCon, looks really good. I will be shooting and testing it this week. Heavy Raptors in given calibers are just not going to be stable with a tip, so they have to be light for caliber, and if we have a heavier bullet most likely it will be a BBW#13 NonCon variation Raptor of sorts. Which is fine and dandy, the Modified Raptor/BBW#13 will be made to fit in standard magazines, with tip. That's the biggest difference in standard BBW#13 and BBW#13 Raptor I suppose.

Getting there for sure!

Good to have you back too!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Carl last night - he's home but has not loaded any .458B&M yet; hopefully this Saturday, maybe.

Did he tell you we're set up for more Ele in August? He's taking his oldest son and I my son-in-law. Both of us are anxious to use the new B&M rifles on Elephant. I think we both intend to arm the "youngsters" with our .416Rems.

I would also like to be able to test the .223Rem CEB bullets in africa, if you have some ready for shipment.

He has promised me a pic of my new rifle this weekend.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike

Yes, Carl just sent an email and needed a better copy of the 458 B&M Data, I just sent him a new pdf of all the pressure work done in 458, and that includes the new work completed just last month. So he should be good to go. And I bet he is loading some this week.

No, he did not mention "Loaded For Ele" next August! EXCELLENT. I have all the confidence in the world in the 458 B&M, you guys will do fine. The 450 BBW#13 Solid will hammer through. Or possibly even the 480 BBW#13 as well. In those 20 inch guns you can do over 2200 fps with those. Either one will do nicely.

Oh yes, I have zero doubts about either the Raptor or Semi-Raptor will be ready very very soon. In fact just yesterday I was testing accuracy in the new 40 Raptor, and it's excellent. There is a Talon Tip ?? that we need to answer, but the bullet is done. There is a 50 gr cross between a "Raptor and BBW#13 that we are working on too. First prototype is not good, but we know why, or think we know anyway. Dan and I were on the phone for over an hour this morning discussing these things. When it's done I think what we will end up seeing in the small bores, from .224 to .308, is one true to form Raptor, BBW#13s both ends, it will have to be light for caliber, but we know this is fine, as even light for caliber they out perform all the heavies in caliber anyway, or equal to at worst. There will be a modified heavier version in each caliber, but it will be basically a BBW#13 NonCon, with placement of the bands further forward so they can be loaded with a tip and fit most magazines. This is what I am pushing right now and I think where we need to be.

I think we are looking at the Talon Tips right now and tweaking those as well. These small bores are a BITCH to sort out. Not like the big bores! Finicky little bastards! But they won't whip us I assure you of that.

Keep up with me, I will keep all posted on developments, many are ready now and good to go. The 9.3 210 gr Raptor is incredible and performs excellent. I want some "Tip" adjustment on it and have some I am testing this week. Tweaking. Big bore Raptors coming soon! Pretty much working out the weights and such now, at least for the first prototypes. I don't think big bores are going to be much of a problem.

M

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Michael

Have you and the boys at SSK tried at least one B&M Super Short on a Browning A-Bolt yet. I know your a big Winchester fan, but I'm noticing a lot of these WSSM Brownings on the shelves now with Shot out barrels

And there are some nice looking A-Bolts around

They seem to have a slightly different magazine box set up to the BLR's, the magazine is attached to the floor plate and can be removed.

I plan on trying to build one for the 458 B&M SS cousin down under here

regards
S&F aka Joe - Australia

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Joe

I don't know of a Browning being done yet. I have never looked at one, or even thought of one to be honest. Being WSSM I can think of no reason at all they would not work or cause any issues. Check the magazine out, if that looks good to go, then in 458 or 475 B&M there would be zero issues or concerns I would think. If just a shooting fun gun, the 50 would even be fine, just would have to watch your case length close as it would really head space off the mouth in one of these. But in 458 B&M or your cousin to it, I would see no issues, long as it would feed and function, which I cannot attest to.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of my new .458 B&M built for me by SSK on a Winchester Mdl. 70 WSM action. Stock modified for my 14.5" LOP. Open sights are NECG. Scope is a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x with the illuminated circle-dot reticle.

I do not yet have the rifle in my possession and did not take the photo. The front sling stud will be removed from the forearm and replaced with a flush mount screw.

http://i428.photobucket.com/al.../458BMriflebySSK.png

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
LionHunter
one of us
Picture of LionHunter

Posted Jan 23, 2012 6:45 PM Hide Post
Here is a pic of my new .458 B&M built for me by SSK on a Winchester Mdl. 70 WSM action. Stock modified for my 14.5" LOP. Open sights are NECG. Scope is a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x with the illuminated circle-dot reticle.

I do not yet have the rifle in my possession and did not take the photo. The front sling stud will be removed from the forearm and replaced with a flush mount screw.

Mike

Rifle looks good! I took the liberty to post the photos you sent here.

Carl is going have to work on his ""Photographic" skills! HEH...... But I think we can get the jest of it! Looks great--Looks a whole lot like one of my main rifles, one of the very first 458 B&Ms that I use as a test rifle now for all the data and info on 458 B&M.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting Michael, and yes, his photo skills are wanting. He took these with his "meow" camera (yes, you must ask him about the "meow" camera and why it went to africa).

What SSK did for this build, starting with a Winchester M70 270WSM stainless which I provided along w/2 OEM stocks:

Rebarrel to 458 B&M SS Douglas 1:14
Barrel band front sight w/NECG rear sight w/S-4 bead
Trigger job to 3#s
Sling swivel bbl. band
Change follower
Glass bed stock x2
Increase LOP to 14.5" over Limbsaver recoil pad x2

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Mike

Looks a lot like one of my first 458 B&Ms, and the one I use for all the test work on 458 B&M here. I have changed the stock to an extra Claro AI I had since this photo. In fact, I had a camo Ultimate on it for a time as well.

Very versatile rifle and cartridge.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of tidbits of B&M related news to share before I head to the lab to trim brass. Yes, I think just an excuse to not go trim brass or delay the process!

Anyway, remember this!

Fed Ex busted this stock in a shipment back to SSK I think back in December.

Well Fed Ex came through finally, full payment for the cost of the stock, including the shipping costs! I have to say, while I would have much rather it would not have happened, Fed Ex stood up and took it on the chin! What more can you ask?

Thanks Fed Ex, I continue to ship with Fed Ex, but have made arrangements to ship less hi grade stocks if I can help it!

Next, Jon Sundra is doing a short article on the B&Ms. I am not sure what publication it is in? Keep an eye out, I have not heard of it yet? If you find it, I would like to see it too.

Next order up-_Big News, at least to me. The First B&M has now been built on a Ruger M77 action, I think an Alaskan has been converted to 50 B&M by Ken Kempa! And from what I hear, it feeds, functions and retains perfectly. Ken wanted a way too long barrel, 22 inches. He will be taking delivery of said rifle soon and I can't wait to see some photos of that and hear how it does, especially with that 22 inch tube on it. First ever B&M on a RUGER! Hmmmmmm?

I sent that 500 MDM Gunkote rifle up to SSK this past week. Finally it's time to whack that barrel down to 19 inches and give it a go. Paul and Andrews rifles are both 20 inch guns, handle incredibly well, far better than my other 21 inch guns, amazing what just 1 inch shorter does! You can't imagine until you have both in hand! I am going to try this one down at 19 inches and see how it does. In fact, hoping to get some Raptors in .500 and take it to South Africa in April, along with that 19 inch 9.3 B&M with it's Raptors.

OK that's about all I can come up with, so I reckon I have to get to trimming that brass now!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
" Next order up-_Big News, at least to me. The First B&M has now been built on a Ruger M77 action, I think an Alaskan has been converted to 50 B&M by Ken Kempa! And from what I hear, it feeds, functions and retains perfectly. Ken wanted a way too long barrel, 22 inches. He will be taking delivery of said rifle soon and I can't wait to see some photos of that and hear how it does, especially with that 22 inch tube on it. First ever B&M on a RUGER! Hmmmmmm?
I sent that 500 MDM Gunkote rifle up to SSK this past week. Finally it's time to whack that barrel down to 19 inches and give it a go. Paul and Andrews rifles are both 20 inch guns, handle incredibly well, far better than my other 21 inch guns, amazing what just 1 inch shorter does! You can't imagine until you have both in hand! I am going to try this one down at 19 inches and see how it does."

The B&M effort has always been about a system of elements working together in a synergistic manner such that the resulting whole is better than the sum of the individual parts with a specific goal in mind. One thing that is interesting about a system is the question, "How sensitive is the system performance to variations in any one element?"

Some of these variations can help answer that question providing we keep track of the results - be able to test them side by side.

Another variation in the system could be introduced by giving up some element of performance to gain another. In essence having a different performance goal for the system. Legitimate , not better, rather, a different optimization. This approach is likely to have an effect on other elements - longer barrel means different powders and loadings?

Lastly there are some elements of the system that can stand on their own as improvements in any DG system, specifically the bullet designs now being sold by CEB, NF and S&H.

Not easy to keep track of all this. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, I've only been on AR a short time, but have ravenously gobbled up everything in this thread and in the Terminals thread. Your and Sam's work with the CE FN solids and petal spewing HPs is fantastic, a very real service to all who pay attention to such things.

My rat gun of choice is a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, but I also have a "real" weapon, a first year of re-introduction (1994) controlled-round feed Mod 70 in 416 Remington.

I wonder, do you still have the tragically busted Bastogne, after the FedEx settlement? I have a repaired old Mauser '06 that was broken almost exactly like yours, but through falling on it while hunting (the original owner, not me!).

It's still a half minute rifle. Note the stock bolt and dowels through the grip area. If yours could not be similarly repaired, at least it should make some fabulous handgun grips or knife handles!

Thanks again to you, Sam and Cutting Edge for the great innovations.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hi Whelenite!

Welcome to AR, and thanks so much for the support! I am pleased that you are getting something out of our little discussions, we all are learning along the way! Lot's of great folks here, lot's to learn and lot's to share! Really a great place.

I have a 35 Whelen myself. Had Brian build one on a Winchester M70 I had. 22 inch barrel. Sad thing is, I bet I have not shot 20 rds through it. Honestly, just got bored with it. Nice rifle, built on one of those NRA 30/06 rifles, nice wood.

That Win M70 416 of yours is or was like my old 458 Win with the 22 inch tube. Same time frame, it was, or is fine rifle, did all my lion shooting with it. It now sports a stock from Accurate Innovations.

Yes, I have the bastogne stock--sits there as a reminder to me. Problem with that stock is that it was built for a 500 MDM, I would not trust a repair to hold on that gun. The other issue is, that if you put it on a lesser gun, the barrel channel would be over sized, having already been hogged out for the 500.

I have been thinking some nice 1911 grips!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I just found some decent deals on gunbroker, WSM sporter rifles, CRF of course. I have bid on 4 right now that if I get them, just will keep them as build guns, anyone is welcome to them.

Big news is, one of them is a LEFT HAND rifle! Hard to come by.

Just more FYI is all.

Have several I am watching, including a couple of stainless guns.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Although this is not B&M related, I spoke with Brian this morning, I have two Winchester M70s, push feed guns, in 223 Rem. Both have old twist rates, I imagine 1:14 or so. Sending both up this week having new barrels put on, both 1:8 twist rates. One is a varmint rifle, it's new barrel will be 22 inches, the other a sporter type barrel, it will be 20 inches, plan on making this one a girlie gun for the girls, put Raptors in it, well I think it will suffice for the little things in life!

Sending up two new rifles to be converted this week too. Finally sending the rifles for the 50 B&M Gunkote gun and the 475 B&M Gunkote gun. These two are having two matching claros made at AI right now, stocks are nearly finished--Need rifles now!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

FYI:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/997...model_70_243_wss.htm
has the SC plant made any SSM's or is this a New haven rifle?

( thinking 458 B&M SS )

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cross

That's a New Haven gun, little pricey at $700.00, but not crazy. It's stainless, and with that camo stock takes the price up a bit. SC has not geared up to make them, not sure they are going to.

I think I have 4 Super Shorts here, two stainless, two blue, all with the black stocks. I have $550 in the stainless guns and $500 in the blue ones.

I have 4-5 WSM guns I am working on gunbroker right now as mentioned above, all decent deals on New Haven guns. Anything from $550 to $650 or there abouts. Two are stainless. One is a left hand, I intend to try and get that one. There are lot's of B&M lefty out there! I don't know why?

Michael

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Your package arrives here tomorrow and my .458B&M Wednesday. Finally, I will have it in my hands, YES!! Perhaps it will make its first range trip by Friday. Report on your loads will be forthcoming.

Your advice and assistance has been invaluable to me, as it has to many here. We are setting the new standard in DG rifles and ammunition. We have even proven we can kill trees and Elephant with a single round!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Mike

I just finished watching you smash that elephant! By God-Job Well Done! It is great to see someone take The Shot That is Offered at the moment of truth. Many think they can take nothing but a brain shot, because of nostalgia or some sort of ego boost. Good Job!

Yes, I saw that bullet whiz right through the brush, saw at least 1 two inch or so diameter stick go to pieces, and I think maybe another, not sure, but point of fact, bullet got to where it was supposed to go, and did it's duty. On the terminal thread Sam, BaxterB and myself did a little bit of work in that area, set up 4X4 treated posts, shooting the 475 B&M and it's 450 BBW#13 Solid at 20 ft in front of the target. That BBW#13 burned through those 4X4s like butter, and hit target every single time. We even did the 420 NonCon, same story, made a hell of a hole in the back of the 4X4, remaining bullet straight to the target, all hitting nose forward. I think we even did a terminal test with them too. So you blowing through the brush does not surprise me. However, we both know to avoid that if possible. But it is a comfort to know that sometimes you don't always see that stick in front of you, we got a good bullet that will help out a bunch when that happens.

I think you should schedule a Friday session with your rifle! Give it a good workout with that ammo I sent to you! Make it work for a living! Work any bugs out so we can get them sorted out if there is any! And for sure, I got to know how the loads shoot so we can sort that out.

Have not heard of Carl, I did not call, hoping his Friday session was better, but I plan on contacting him this week. Did he send your things back this way?

Sam is coming in the morning, we are planning on doing some 500 Nitro work so I am tied up on that tomorrow.

I have been prepping some 223 brass as well, I have not forgot you might need some of those on the trip as well. Sending two Win M70s I have in 223 Rem to Brian this week, having 1:8 twist barrels put on them. That should work dandy with those Raptors. We must talk about these.

Keep me posted on things.
Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike

I just finished watching you smash that elephant! By God-Job Well Done! It is great to see someone take The Shot That is Offered at the moment of truth. Many think they can take nothing but a brain shot, because of nostalgia or some sort of ego boost. Good Job!

Yes, I saw that bullet whiz right through the brush, saw at least 1 two inch or so diameter stick go to pieces, and I think maybe another, not sure, but point of fact, bullet got to where it was supposed to go, and did it's duty.
Is there a link that would allow the peanut gallery to also enjoy the shot?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

Hey Buddy! Been missing you, guess you have been busy!

I don't know of a link or if it's on the tube yet???? I wish some smart ass whiz kid would put Mikes elephant shot on the tube some how (Boomy????) That is beyond my capabilities! HEH.......

Hey, had a successful Powder Blend test the other day! I know you mentioned interest in that! It was fun too! Not sure I really accomplished anything, but the traces are very interesting to look at, the blended versions of IMR 8208 and H-322 all looked better than the individual control test with the stand alone powders. Very interesting, something I am going to look into more as I have time, not a priority, but something that has peaked my interests a bit. Not sure it would ever be viable for anything other than my own use, not sure I would recommend that to the public as it can be a little hairy I think. Fun!

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hey Michael,

I've been busy with family stuff...

Blending powders - you definately have my attention! Are you blending 8208 and 322 together???...or individually within each powder group???

Myself, I was pondering mixing a couple of kegs of 10x - same lot number - together to assure there'd be the same burn rate between both kegs. Basically looking to eliminate the variance that you've recently encountered with 10x...at least for the mixed kegs.

Jim coffee
John Wayne