THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Ok, slept on this overnight - fresh cup of coffee and a fresh outlook...

I perceive that the finger bark issue is caused by the factory checkered bolt knob which is done to afford the user a better 'bite' on the bolt knob when cycling the bolt.

I also perceive that the bolt lacking the factory checkering wouldn't bark the back of the trigger finger but it might provide a whack resulting in a bruised finger.

So I think the flattened bolt knob is a valid solution to the finger bark situation. And would offer that this should be an SSK option though with elegantly closed lines at the ends of the flats.

Plus it eliminates the following potential issues:
- the need to repair the factory bolt handle slot shape in a non-custom stock should a straight bolt handle be installed.
- your rifle-shouldered-reach (RSR) to the bolt knob which will be increased by approximately 1/2" with a straight bolt handle.
- trigger LOP/RSR stock adjustments will bring the scope closer to the eyebrow and may cause clairity issues with longer eye relief scopes.

So it comes down to choices as does everything else - the less elegant bolt knob grind (easily resolved with some checkering/lines border cleanup) - or the more elegant multi-paneled engraved straight bolt handle with its relating issues.

The choice is yours...

Oh yes... Michael - Mercedes can have you straightened out with Mama's Cannon in just a couple of minutes. Wink

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
...So far, so good, but you can believe Tanks and I are going to put it through the ringer...........

Or vice, versa Wink
I have "Past Super Mag Plus Recoil Shield" on the way. Big Grin

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
...So far, so good, but you can believe Tanks and I are going to put it through the ringer...........

Or vice, versa Wink
I have "Past Super Mag Plus Recoil Shield" on the way. Big Grin

Tanks,

Your 500 turned out great, and I am sure you and Michael will both be wore out after your few days of shooting, I look forward to hearing the range reports.

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some photos of Tanks new 500 MDM............ Montana LEFT hand Action, 20 inch barrel, GunKote matt black finish, red fiber optic front sight and NECG Barrel band, NECG Rear adjustable, Tanks wanted the top rail mounted, and last, but most certainly NOT LEAST, Accurate Innovactions Stock... Bastogne?? I forget??

Anyway, very nice looking gun and Tanks and I will start shooting it on Thursday--Saturday +++, along with several other projects we have going, another is Tanks 416 B&M which has not arrived as of yet, Lionhunters 458 B&M to check POI with some of his loads, some pressure work and other things we may be doing, so it is going to be a very busy upcoming week from Thursday forward................

Apologies for the sorry ass photos.... both my little cameras have give up the ghost, using Momma's big Cannon, and I have not versed myself proper in its use just yet...............

Yes, Bastogne Walnut on the stock pictured.
Wait till you see the matching Bastogne stock for the .416 B&M.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Bastogne Walnut on the stock pictured.
Wait till you see the matching Bastogne stock for the .416 B&M.

I thought so, hard to keep up with everything....

MATCHING Bastogne for the 416!!!!!!!!! Very Excellent....... It is in transit now, due to be in here Thursday..........

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
MATCHING Bastogne for the 416!!!!!!!!! Very Excellent....... It is in transit now, due to be in here Thursday..........

Good to know. I was about to call SSK today to check on the status. Looking forward to checking both of the rifles out starting tomorrow Big Grin.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good to know. I was about to call SSK today to check on the status. Looking forward to checking both of the rifles out starting tomorrow Big Grin.

I reckon you best be glad both of those guns are "wrong" handed, if they were right hand guns, I might just leave your ass at that airport, keep the rifles for myself!!!!!!!!
rotflmo

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you guys learn how to get a grip on your rifles with both hands?
Practice tight grip with all fingers except trigger finger.
Somehow I have learned to do it and never been bothered by the standard M70 swept-back bolt on .458 to .500 caliber M70's.
The hands should stay put relative to the rifle when it recoils.
Nifty grind on that bolt though.
Reduces weight of rifle too. Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Good recommendation Ron.

The only issue is when arthritis sets into the hands reducing one's ability to maintain firm grip control during heavy recoil.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
I hope your rifle gives you great pleasure friend!!!
The wood is very nice looking, and I think the
ebony forend tip is an excellent touch. The short,
fat barrel is psychologically a "booster-upper" for
the hunter bearing this rifle! It's All Business!
For my taste, that rail is tough on the eyes, the
cheek piece if mine would be oval, and the rear
island sight is so close to the forward sight that
it WILL be tough to use if open sights come into
play.

May you kill all your game cleanly and have the most enjoyable experiences as you do so!!!!!!!!
dancing clap dancing wave patriot dancing beer dancing

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were mine I would put it on gun broker right away. Got to get that thing out of the house. Thinking of trading mine in for a remy 7mm sofa
Have a blast at the lab. The piece of weaponry is as nice looking as they come, and i can verify the effectiveness on big nastys!!

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
We have been busy with it all day..... Very good so far, still working it in properly...

We just came off the range, 8:30 PM... Unheard of and obscene to be this late, we are headed to roost now, we have 416 B&M tomorrow morning, and Lionhunters 458 B&M along with it to shoot in and work POI proper......... So much more shooting tomorrow, good early start in the morning............

Brent..............

moon

7mm my moon get yourself a real big bore 375 caliber too while you are at it.........

rotflmo

We are running 335 Raptor tipped at a mild 2800 fps for an upcoming bear hunt Tanks is going on, have that EoTech shooting bug holes at 50 yards............ VERY VERY EXCELLENT...............

M

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are running 335 Raptor tipped at a mild 2800 fps for an upcoming bear hunt Tanks is going on, have that EoTech shooting bug holes at 50 yards............ VERY VERY EXCELLENT...............

Sounds like fun.

would the 335 grain be 225 grain in 416?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Love those EOTech's, even though they do look a bit clunky on a hunting rifle. They perform like no other I've used and are extremely reliable. Just ask the Marine Corps.

I've got to zero a new FastFire III on my 500NE DR as the last one was 12 inches low at 25 yards and max elevation, out of the box! Should be an anomaly as other FF have worked on my DR without that problem. Buriss took it back and sent me a new one without question. But my old EOTech is on stand-by.

Michael - remember to move my scope on the 458B&M! Have fun!

BTW, EOTech has a damn decent rebate in place right now, if anybody is considering one of them.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
For my taste, that rail is tough on the eyes, the
cheek piece if mine would be oval, and the rear
island sight is so close to the forward sight that
it WILL be tough to use if open sights come into
play...

The rail is tough on the eyes but is practical for the EOTech sight.

As far as the open sights are concerned, first thing we did was to sight it in with a heavy load at 25 yards. Had no problems with it either sighting it in or shooting off-hand.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416Tanzan:
quote:

Sounds like fun.

would the 335 grain be 225 grain in 416?

Tanz....

Nope, its the 335 Raptor, .500 caliber.... Running 95/H-4198, at around 58000 PSI...... I have run it to 2900 and change, but 2800 will more than do the job ahead of it in a month or so. Tanks is headed for a bear hunt with it....

This morning we are going to turn loose that 225 in his 416 B&M.... We will try and get some good photos of it while we are out too.
The 416 is drop dead gorgeous.........

By the way Tanz, some time ago I quickly run a couple of loads with the 225 in that #1 I have in the Rigby, RL 15 and IMR 8208 both gave me a tad over 3200 fps with that bullet.......

Mike...... Still have your gun in the box right now, but soon taking it out, will sort the scope and check the irons as well. Have several test loads ready in yours to check POI with 250#13s, 250 Socoms, 295#13s too....... Going to sort that POI out with the 450/420s.

While at it, might put a Ultimate stock on it and check it out too....... What color? I think I have one more of those Pink Camo ones left..... fishing

DR.....
quote:
the rear island sight is so close to the forward sight

Gotta remember, this is a DGR.. .Dangerous Game Rifle, iron sights are rarely used much past 15-25 yards, and many times much closer. Made for fast pickup of large front bead, on Tanks this red fiber optic is incredibly easy to pick up, distance between front/rear really has no bearing. As in combat, Front Sight... Front Sight everything else falls in place........... Shooting one hole at 25 yards with irons, no more is required or desired.........

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

While at it, might put a Ultimate stock on it and check it out too....... What color? I think I have one more of those Pink Camo ones left..... fishing

M

I'll bite:
Don't do it. We like seeing pictures of them big short rifles with those wood looking stock things....
Plastic is for leftovers...

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
big short rifles with those wood looking stock things.

Me too pal... However, the little Ultimates have their place working with the nice AIs......

Question? Tanks and I were talking yesterday, beautiful AI stock... IN ALASKA! I had one in AK some years ago, rain 24/7, oil actually washed out. Did not have any real stock oil, so just put some oil on it that the guide had in camp, finish came right back and all was happy. But really would hate to put the nice bastogne through that, but if we did, what then? Supreme oil back up and go about our business????

Curious.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Question? Tanks and I were talking yesterday, beautiful AI stock... IN ALASKA! I had one in AK some years ago, rain 24/7, oil actually washed out. Did not have any real stock oil, so just put some oil on it that the guide had in camp, finish came right back and all was happy. But really would hate to put the nice bastogne through that, but if we did, what then? Supreme oil back up and go about our business????

Curious.......

First, and please hear this if nothing else: No Silicone!!! Don't use silicone or products containing silicone (that goofy spray waterproofing stuff, some polishes, etc.) on an oil finished rifle stock.

Stocks are shipped with penetrated oil barrier on all exposed wood inside and out, so it's possible the exterior sheen of the finish became dulled, rather than the oil washing out...??

Remember that the Accurate Innovations stocks have the aluminum bedding platform as the only true contact with your barreled action, so accuracy is maintained even should the wood become unstable (again, it's a natural product, so of course it will be subject to natures forces, but any dimensional difference will be isolated from the points of contact with your gun).

The oil finish we use is compatible with the readily available Tru-oil that so many already know and love...this is a suitable product to use for touchup, as desired.
Also, high quality wood polishing products (Such as furniture polishes, often lemon-oil based, designed for antique wooden items) will maintain or bring back the lustre.

Careful and sparing application of paste wax will do for your stock what they do for hardwood floors...namely, provide a barrier and hard top surface that water will bead up on, rather than penetrate etc.

In all these options, remember less material and sparing application is the key, and always keep your stuff out of the checkered areas.

We're pretty available as a company, so anytime y'all get stuck or wonder, place a call/send a message rather than feeling you must muddle through and hope for the best.

It's worth repeating: NO SILICONE!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Love those EOTech's, even though they do look a bit clunky on a hunting rifle. They perform like no other I've used and are extremely reliable. Just ask the Marine Corps.

I've got to zero a new FastFire III on my 500NE DR as the last one was 12 inches low at 25 yards and max elevation, out of the box! Should be an anomaly as other FF have worked on my DR without that problem. Buriss took it back and sent me a new one without question. But my old EOTech is on stand-by.

Michael - remember to move my scope on the 458B&M! Have fun!

BTW, EOTech has a damn decent rebate in place right now, if anybody is considering one of them.

Mike.

i just ran it to a strange with the Burris FFIII.

Mounted one on the front ring of my 458 SS and had a wandering zero, got to checking things and had side to side movement. Moved it back to the rear ring and everything seems tight--been raining so haven't been back to the range, but right now it looks like I may have a QRW base that is out of spec.

Hope i can get this figured out because the FFIII sure seems like it will work super on that Little 458 SS

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
The oil finish we use is compatible with the readily available Tru-oil that so many already know and love...this is a suitable product to use for touchup, as desired.

Also, high quality wood polishing products (Such as furniture polishes, often lemon-oil based, designed for antique wooden items) will maintain or bring back the lustre.

Careful and sparing application of paste wax will do for your stock what they do for hardwood floors...namely, provide a barrier and hard top surface that water will bead up on, rather than penetrate etc.

In all these options, remember less material and sparing application is the key, and always keep your stuff out of the checkered areas.
Very useful reminder – thanks…

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Sean-

Just back from the range with my 500NE DR and the new (replacement) FFIII. Fired 2R & 2L and adjusted. Fired for effect. Rock steady. R is shooting dead on bullseye at 25 yds; L is shooting 2" low and 2" left. That's good for me as the first round R is the brain shot on Ele. I put 20+ full CEB loads downrange and no issues.

It well could be the base. I screwed a set of Leupold QRW bases a few years ago. When I pulled the base, the screw hole had been elongated, due to recoil and apparently not being tight was my presumption. Never seen similar before or since, but it explained why I was having POI problems. Replaced the bases and all was good. I still have those bases and need to send them to Leupold for replacement one of these days.

I think you will really like the FFIII. There are similar devices - Doktor Optic and Trijicon RMR - that cost more but I can see no difference in the field. I do suggest you place Loctite on the screws connecting the FFIII to the mount before putting it on the rifle and Loctite on the base screws on B&M rifles is also a good idea.

Good luck and let me know what that forward base looks like when you pull it.

Michael -

I'll do camo, but pink might cause some issues with those Zambezi Ladies in September! Heh-Heh!!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Wes...
Thanks much for the advice on the stocks, something not just myself but Tanks and some other guys had questions about care of and what we can do, and what we must not do. Thank you, I know now exactly what I will be doing for care of my stocks..... I will be sending them to YOU.......... :hillbilly:

Good Evening Gents......

Update from the compound and what Tanks and I have been doing.... We have been....

flame

Blasting away of course................ Having much fun, and learning great things about Tanks rifles, which we are still working in proper..........

Most of yesterday and big part of this morning devoted to the 416 B&M... I don't know, but we have probably ran something like 75+ rounds through it doing different things.... Running the 225 Raptor at 2927 fps it is shooting bug holes at 50, 1 inch high...... Good to 222 yard zero.... 350/325 Safari solid/Raptor does not match POI, about 4 inches low, 1 inch right...... But what we discovered today was this Leica scope Tanks is running, we sorted POI out to a non issue...... Will go into more detail on this later this week however, too much to go into just now...........

500 MDM with the Eotech shooting the 335 Raptor 2800 fps one hole dead center 50 yards..... Tanks can shoot it very well, have been shooting off hand from 10 yards to 50 yards, and rifle is shooting excellent...... This rifle leaves for bear in about 3 weeks, it is ready, ammo is ready, and Tanks is ready. Will be no problems there..........

Rifles still a little stiff from the GunKote but working in slowly.............

We are expecting Tanz in here tomorrow afternoon, so we will report more when we can................

Took some more crap photos this afternoon, I still DO NOT have the hang of Mommas camera yet...............

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to give us, your devoted audience (Peanut Gallery?) more now that you've spent a few days using/shooting/playing with Winchester and MRC side/side...

Me and my band of "hillbillies" will happily rub slop onto your bloodstained wooden stocks anytime.

Just send 'em in with a few loaded rounds...hehe.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael -

I'll do camo, but pink might cause some issues with those Zambezi Ladies in September! Heh-Heh!!

HEH HEH........... Mike, having a vision of you running around with a "Pink Stocked" 458 B&M.........

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
And just imagine the look on PH Mark Vallaro's face when I pulled it from the case at the zero range on day 1 of a 21 day DG hunt!!! jumping shame

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do elephants see in color? I know some animals don't.

That might make it really fun-

hilbily

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sean -

What news of your front base? Did you pull it and examine the screw holes?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I believe I have it sorted out. My own fault really.

The base is ok, I had them mounted by someone else, when I took it off I found a few grains of something like sand under the front of the base. You could tighten base screws and things looked good, but the foreign substance gave just enough clearance for side to side movement , even when tight up and down.

The movement didn't show up when using a normal scope, but did when using a single base for the Burris FFIII.

Same old moral---

ALWAYS check your own weapons----

My bad--- 2020

Going back with it cleaned and every screw Loctited all should be good but will report when range session is done.

Thanks for advice

TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your troubleshooting found the problem. tu2 I'm sure you have it sorted out now, but do let me know all is well after your next range session.

Loctite on the screws holding the FFIII to it's weaver mount and the same on the base screws into the receiver will definitely help keep things together. I have found I like these devices mounted on the forward base of rifles.

BTW, I have decided to make adjustments to the FFIII on my DR. I plan to center the barrels and believe this will give me both barrels into an approximate 2"-3" bullseye at 25 yards. Plenty close enough to call it "minute of elephant".

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Had a flame at Michael's giving both my 500 MDM, and 416 B&M a workout, testing loads and sighting in the rifles.

I'll let Michael do the full report on that.

I even shot some right handed rifles a 50 B&M SS (16" barrel), and a 458 B&M (18" barrel). Both were a dream to handle, even for a lefty. Here is a video of me shooting a right handed 458 B&M, left handed.
http://vid116.photobucket.com/...PL/458BampMShoot.mp4

Too bad that they never made left handed WSSM rifles as that 50 B&M SS was so fun to shoot. I have a spare left handed 270 WSM I can use as a donor action and will be using it for a 458 B&M with 18" barrel and a McMillan stock for foul weather use.

Michael was a fantastic host, and we had a lot of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a spare left handed 270 WSM I can use as a donor action and will be using it for a 458 B&M with 18" barrel and a McMillan stock for foul weather use.

Those of us that have something to gain by it think your LH .458 B&M would be a dream to handle in a laminate or bamboo AI stock for foul weather use...
Just Sayin

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Guys............

Still trying to recover from our weekend here with Tanks and Tanz....... These two kept me up to all hours of the night, most of the time 9-10 PM in the middle of the night, and one night as late as 11 pm, can you believe it? On Sunday Tanz and Momma Tanz pitched up and I think we just got to talking and visiting, it was 11 pm before I knew it....... LOL.........

We had one fine time here and these two did some very fine shooting. Tanks left hand Montana 500 MDM shoots great. We set this rifle up with his EoTech shooting 335 gr Lever Raptors at 2800 fps using 95/H-4198.... At 50 yards the rifle will shoot 3 in a hole, dead center, about 3/4 inch high, perfect..... The only bug we have in the Montana is that it is not happy with feeding the Solids and Raptors without a tip. Once Tanks finishes his bear hunt in a few weeks, with the tipped 335 Raptor, then it will go back to SSK for a tune up with the Safari Solids/Raptors..... Everything else was 100% good to go...... This was the only bug we had in either rifle, and this was the first time a 500 or any B&M has been put on a Montana Action. Other than this one thing, we found the Montana to be excellent in all other aspects...... Brian will sort this out in short order.......

As for the 416 B&M left hand M70 there were zero issues. Both Rifles were GunKoted, my favorite finish on these, and both actions were a little stiff. As we worked them they wore in pretty good, but the 416 bolt was very stiff. I decided the extractor was too tight and causing the issue. Well, I thought to take the extractor out, and replace it with one I had on hand! I did so, and the problem was solved immediately, bolt as smooth as glass! Well, one thing I did not think of, this is a left hand bolt, and all I had was a RIGHT HAND EXTRACTOR! HEH HEH.... This did not work so well when we started trying to get it to feed! LOL....... So, I had no left hand guns left, and had to put the original extractor back in! During this time I did wipe the bolt down good, and now with the correct extractor back in the gun, it was smooth as glass..... There must have been something that worked its way under the extractor band causing it to be too tight, and once taken out and wiped, it worked great...... GunKote finish has to be worn in and worked in, just part of the process. Once done, smooth as silk..........

Tanks outfitted the 416 B&M with an extremely nice 2.5X10 Leica with illuminated red dot in the center, hash and dots down the bottom cross hairs and to each side for reference. This rifle is headed for an elk hunt in a couple of months, so we worked primarily with the 225 Raptor, complete with Talon Tips. 70/H-4198 runs at 2925 fps. I will let Tanks tell you exactly where all the hash marks and dots fall in, but basically at 1 inch hi at 50, the trajectory falls dead zero at 225 yards or so. Using hash/dots Tanks can go out to extreme ranges without doing anything but knowing where each hash/dot hits and he has that, and will be confirming this at his ranges at home where he can shoot to 300 yards +..........

In addition to the 225s, we checked the 350/325 Solid/Raptors. Using 78/RL 15 gives us 2450 fps with both. RL 15 we can use with NEW unfired brass, and zero issues with head separation later. These hit 4 inches lower and 1.5 inches right...... With this Leica, and the hash/dots available, we learned that the 3rd dot down solved all issues with Elevation, and these bullets/load.... We learned that moving 5 clicks left and 3rd dot down put them dead center at 50. We repeated this several times over Tanks visit, and we found the Leica extremely reliable and repeatable every single time, time after time. So much so, it is going to prompt me to do a little research in this area with various POI on other scopes/rifles that might solve some issues with POI and various bullets we want to have available in the field....... So it was a great lesson learned. Normally I do not trust scopes, old school and so many experiences with failures of the damned things! Many times I told Tanks, "This thing is shooting so good, don't touch the scope"..... But would relent, and the Leica went right back to exact POI every time.

Another note on repeatability, has to go to the Accurate Innovations stock too.... We took the 416 B&M out of its stock during the great extractor change out.. LOL........ After putting the rifle back in, took it to the range, and after one round through it, the rifle was set, and went dead straight back to the original POI.... Now, had I done a better job putting the stock back on the rifle, like Stockbroker showed me a time or two, then the rifle would have been dead on POI from the first shot I feel confident. But worst case, after one round, it was dead set perfect.... Another case of excellent repeatability......... Thanks AI for that one........ Absolutely as advertised. I have of course done this many times during test work of various rifles, I do change stocks here on occasion, and never experienced any change of POI.......

We had a very good time here with Tanks, lots of fun, lots of good shooting, and later when Tanz and Momma Tanz pitched up, it was a party for sure...... Momma Tanz, being left handed, did a fine job shooting Tanks 416 B&M. I think the first time she has fired a 416...... Tanks and I had been working on a reduced load with 375 Cast Gas Check, and 350 Speer, both with 45/IMR 4198 and giving around 1800 fps. Both these bullets shooting the same hole at 50, couple inches hi and couple inches left, but excellent load and very accurate. Momma Tanz shot this load, and had zero issues with it, and shot very well too.......... Tanz of course did a lot of shooting the next day with 50 Super Short, 458 B&M, 500 B&M and the 500 MDM, an excellent shot as well...... Working with a relatively newer 50 Super Short I had not actually sighted the irons in yet, or messed with the rifle that much. I sighted it in and I think everyone had some really good fun with it. We did experience the magazine spring "Jumping the hump" of the rear bottom metal causing feeding issues, once the spring in place, works great. Its one that has not been pinned in place yet, which I must get done. As we talked about this some time ago........

quote:
I even shot some right handed rifles a 50 B&M SS (16" barrel), and a 458 B&M (18" barrel). Both were a dream to handle, even for a lefty. Here is a video of me shooting a right handed 458 B&M, left handed.
http://vid116.photobucket.com/...PL/458BampMShoot.mp4

Now what Tanks does not mention here in this video of shooting my 458 B&M with irons.... This was at 25 yards, and as you see rather quickly fired.... Tanz, Tanks, myself go down to check the target, and all three of these rounds where within 2 inches of each other!!!!!!!! Mighty FINE SHOOTING in my book.......... Not only that, but these were not reduced loads, full on 450 gr #13 Solids at 2225 fps.........

Again, we had a heck of a good time during our visit with both Tanks, Tanz and Momma Tanz, and look forward to a repeat visit in the near future.............. Thanks to all for the visit.........

Michael

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Michael and Tanks,

Thanks for letting Momma Tanz and I join your party. It was a wonderful, though too short experience. And Michael of course is even more than a Southern Gentleman, playing chef as well as host and rangemaster.

We are still on the road for a couple of days so this can mention a couple of highlights. Yes, that little 416B&M did catch my wife's eye. She enjoyed shooting the little rifle, and it was her first 416 shooting. What a great introduction to big bores for her.

For that matter, Michael showed me one of his little 416B&M's, too, a beautiful laminate for Alaska and a slick little action. It looked like the perfect retirement combo whenever I get tired of lugging those Rigbys around. Much more to share but we must catch a plane.

thanks and blessings to all.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all ya'll had a great time. Safe travels for all traveling. Michael, you can take a nap now. LOL...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
...the rear
island sight is so close to the forward sight that it WILL be tough to use if open sights come into play.

As Michael attests below it was NOT tough to use the open sights at all. I don't ever envision using open sights much past 25 yards for DG. Currently they are sighted for 450 gr Raptor and 500 gr solid for the 500 MDM, and 325gr Raptor and 350gr solid for the 416 B&M at 25 yards.

quote:
...Now what Tanks does not mention here in this video of shooting my 458 B&M with irons.... This was at 25 yards, and as you see rather quickly fired.... Tanz, Tanks, myself go down to check the target, and all three of these rounds where within 2 inches of each other!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...the rear
island sight is so close to the forward sight that it WILL be tough to use if open sights come into play.

As Michael attests below it was NOT tough to use the open sights at all. I don't ever envision using open sights much past 25 yards for DG. Currently they are sighted for 450 gr Raptor and 500 gr solid for the 500 MDM, and 325gr Raptor and 350gr solid for the 416 B&M at 25 yards.

quote:
...Now what Tanks does not mention here in this video of shooting my 458 B&M with irons.... This was at 25 yards, and as you see rather quickly fired.... Tanz, Tanks, myself go down to check the target, and all three of these rounds where within 2 inches of each other!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the bears are going to be in trouble Tanks! Looking foward to seeing the aftermath of that 500 MDM! BOOM

Do you have any impact variation inside 25 with the 335 raptors?

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seasons44:
Do you have any impact variation inside 25 with the 335 raptors?

Nothing significant. I shot it at 7, 10, 20, and 25 yards. The gun with the EOTech sight is more accurate than I am Wink.

Now, after the hunt I think I will move the Piccatinny rail to go between the rear sight and the action. Right now it is a tad high, so I am looking at the reticle at the bottom of the EOTech window. Moving it will give me a better cheek weld, and also move the reticle up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In addition to the 225s, we checked the 350/325 Solid/Raptors. Using 78/RL 15 gives us 2450 fps with both. RL 15 we can use with NEW unfired brass, and zero issues with head separation later. These hit 4 inches lower and 1.5 inches right...

Thats almost exactly the POI I get with my 416 and those weight bullets--

Resolved it in my mind by figuring on the 225s for general hunting and taking the 325/350 to Africa for the big stuff.I am still comfortable with the 325 NC out to 150-200 yards.

Did I mention I LOVE my 416 B&M?

TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Resolved it in my mind by figuring on the 225s for general hunting and taking the 325/350 to Africa for the big stuff.I am still comfortable with the 325 NC out to 150-200 yards.

The only time one might require more bullet than the 225 Raptor in 416 is for perhaps giraffe and buffalo.. Anything else on the planet has a serious problem........

quote:
Did I mention I LOVE my 416 B&M?

Maybe once or twice........

HEH...........

M