THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

OK, I am working on having a Wood/Stainless and Wood/GunKote in each caliber. Almost there. Once the two gunkote rifles in 50 B&M and 475 B&M come in (Maybe This Week???) then I will have 500 MDM, 50 B&M, 475 B&M, 458 B&M done, coming up short on the two in 416 and 9.3. Have the 9.3 at AI now getting a very fine Turkish done. I only have the one 9.3 now, gunkote rifle my cousin wanted so he bought it. Andrew gets the other 9.3 I had.

M

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Jim

OK, I am working on having a Wood/Stainless and Wood/GunKote in each caliber. Almost there. Once the two gunkote rifles in 50 B&M and 475 B&M come in (Maybe This Week???) then I will have 500 MDM, 50 B&M, 475 B&M, 458 B&M done, coming up short on the two in 416 and 9.3. Have the 9.3 at AI now getting a very fine Turkish done. I only have the one 9.3 now, gunkote rifle my cousin wanted so he bought it. Andrew gets the other 9.3 I had.

M
Big Grin Michael it sounds like you have things going just fine... Peanut gallery will go quiet now.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peanut Gallery wants more...

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockbroker:
tu2 How are things working with the .416?

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:
tu2 How are things working with the .416?

416? I finished whatever I was doing, I think? Moved on to some small bore projects the last few days. That's why you have not heard much the last day or so.

I hope to be on the range in the morning doing some LVSP on the .510s. I did discover, I had forgotten I have a very nice Ruger #1 in 51 Alaskan. Now with the ligher .510s, they make this very nice to shoot and play with. So I dragged it out of it's hiding place the other day, put a scope on it, and shot a few very low velocity loads and sighted it in. I hope to do some LVSP with it first thing in the morning and then later next week work up some heavy loads, and see what I can accomplish with it. I built this rifle back in 2005, I was on a 51 Alaskan kick, this predates the 50 B&M Alaskan by a 12-18 months. Since the 50 B&M AK I have had no need for 51 caliber. So it was stuck in the cabinet, and all but forgotten until a couple of days ago. Should be good fun. I think I must build myself a Winchester M1885 with the 50 B&M Alaskan. I have a 50 B&M, 458 B&M, and 416 B&M all on the M1885. The 458 B&M and 416 B&M both have 24 inch barrels. I have not messed with them much! A 24 inch barrel on a 1885 is the same overall length as a 20 inch bolt gun. I need to run some heavy loads through, see how 24 inches of barrel does in a 458/416 B&M.

I took some new photos a couple of weeks ago of the rifles. New setup on the range to take photos.

Nothing you have not already seen.

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to sneak that one out of the gun room next time I'm down when Micael isn't looking. MAN THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2828 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
very nice gun!!

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
I'm going to sneak that one out of the gun room next time I'm down when Micael isn't looking. MAN THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have dibs on the action but I have dibs on the stock!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I reckon if you left a bottle of Grey Goose in its place, by the time the bottle was gone he'd a forgotten what was there before hand ???

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll just give Michael the Gray Goose after he has taken his meds. He will be out and I will be gone with the loot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock? Oh, they make more of them everyday.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
OK, well how about this "Beauty"?

Sam, you might sneak out with this one, it's camo, I can't see it!

HEH.........

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416---now you are doing my thing--grins--them sure are purty

hilbily

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Beautiful!!! Don't change a thing.
Synthetics are much more to my liking than termite food.

KUR tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Beautiful!!! Don't change a thing.
Synthetics are much more to my liking than termite food.

KUR tu2

Umm, Ewwwwww. Just Sayin. Ewwwww.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With enough Gray Goose and meds I might just take both!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
That little light weight 416 B&M camo has an 18 inch barrel. It comes in dead steady at 6.5 lbs with no scope. Talk about handy. Yes, when we start getting to 416 caliber, we start loosing some velocity from 20--18 inches. Depending on load and bullet from 50-60 fps total for the 2 inches. For what I would have in mind for this rifle, I am willing to sacrifice that little bit of velocity.

Imagine yourself in Alaska! Bear, moose, whatever. Shooting a 300 ESP Raptor--probably around 2525 fps or so. It is wet, it is cold, raining every day. No worries about your rifle, or stock, everything is weather proof. Rifle is light, easy to carry and fast to work with. Handy. Big bear coming your way. You sit waiting patiently, rain pouring down, cold as hell, wind picks up, still in your favor. Well, big bear is still 150 yds out, but he takes a turn for the bush. I am wet and cold, and I am sick to death of this damned weather! I am going home, I ain't spending one more damned hour in this hell. I set up on the sticks, sitting, it's open, and turn one of those Raptors loose about 10 yds before he hits the alders! End of story, down, I shoot him again just for insurance, and make our way to him. He's done, and I am on my way to the house, where it's warm and the sun shines! I won't be going back! Of course I say that every single time, and in a few years I find myself right back there in the same situation again!

I would have loved for him to be at 20 yards, and not 150, but the 416 and the Raptor was up to the mission, no doubt in my mind! And I was ready to leave, I am tired of wet and cold!

Fiction of course, never shot a brown or griz further than 75 yds, and as close as 21 yds, very satisfying. But I know me, sitting there for days, hours, weeks in cold, rain, snow, wind, hail, sand storms, and everything else combined, I would murder that bear at reasonable range, just to go home! I figure that little Camo 416 B&M would be just the ticket for that sort of work!

I would not DARE take one of my fine bastogne or any of my finer Accurate Innovations stocks on that mission! Alaska is a mission for the Ultimates and either Gunkote or Stainless! Nothing else.

Fortunate thing about it is this. If you don't have a permanent setup Alaskan Rifle--Well you can have two stocks, fine Accurate Innovations Termite feeder, and one of the little Ultimates. Going to Africa, or drier conditions, take Termite Food Stock--Going to Alaska, put the Ultimate on, go about your business! Best of all worlds!

That's what I do!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Some of you know about me re-discovering my little 51 Alaskan Ruger #1 the other day! I used it for LVSP Terminals yesterday for the .510 NonCons. I have just been excited about that little gun.

There is not but one major issue with this rifle---it's .510 and not .500! Hell I have 5 different .500 cartridges I have developed, I can't go back to .510, that would be traitorous to my cause!

So I remembered I had one of those 50 year Ruger #1s that they did in 45/70, I think back in 1999 or so. I had never messed with this rifle, never shot it. Not because I thought it was special or anything, just never got around to it. So I dug it out this morning to take a look! Wow, nice rifle, great wood, very nice. So I am sending that bitch to Brian this week and have him convert it to a 50 B&M Alaskan--True .500 caliber! I can have a lot of fun with this!

OK, I ain't finished yet either! So I love an 1885 as you know too. I happen to have one of those NRA guns, I forget which year, but it is #4 of 800 or something like that, in 45/70 of course. I am sending it as well, and it will become a 50 B&M Alaskan too! This will be great fun. I do love those single shot rifles. And, not having to work through the action of the lever guns, I can use any sort of bullet I want, and I won't be locked into 45000 PSI for the lever actions either! This is going to be a fun project! Both of them!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael you might want to stack that 51 Alaskan right next to your 510 Wells on the rack...just in case you need to test .510s at speeds less than you'd care to run the Wells. I don't think your .500s would care; if fact might make them feel slightly better as they'll think they have a better chance of getting off the rack! Just a thought...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

That is exactly what I need to do--keep them close, so as to not forget! I keep a lot of the lever guns and single shots in a cabinet, and hell, I forget what is in there as I am not in that cabinet much. Looking the other day, I found two or three 30/30s in there, along with a 32/40 old one, and some other things I had forgotten.

I think I will dig around a little more this week and see what I can find! Who Knows what one might find hidden in the back, gathering dust?

Michael

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A 2.25" 348 case or a shortened 450/400 or 450 NE loaded to about 3" OAL @50k PSI in a #1 would be a short and potent package. Pretty much 50 B&M power but a rimmed case.

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy, yes, you are correct. Problem is, I ain't interested in 458s for this single shot project. Only interested in the current 50 B&M AK for them. Barrel length for these is mostly aesthetics, on the Ruger #1 I have decided on 20 inches, on the M1885 I am doing 22 inches. I have a 22 inch 50 B&M 1885 now, and it looks pretty good. Have 24 inch 458 and 416 B&M and they look good, handle good. A 22 inch 1885 is the same overall length as an 18 inch bolt gun, and a 24 inch is the same as a 20 inch bolt gun.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Imagine yourself in Alaska! Bear, moose, whatever. It is wet, it is cold, raining every day. No worries about your rifle, or stock, everything is weather proof. End of story, down, I shoot him again just for insurance, and make our way to him. He's done, and I am on my way to the house, where it's warm and the sun shines!

I would have loved for him to be at 20 yards, and not 150, but the 416 and the Raptor was up to the mission, no doubt in my mind! And I was ready to leave, I am tired of wet and cold!

Fiction of course, never shot a brown or griz further than 75 yds, and as close as 21 yds, very satisfying. But I know me, sitting there for days, hours, weeks in cold, rain, snow, wind, hail, sand storms, and everything else combined, I would murder that bear at reasonable range, just to go home!

I would not DARE take one of my fine bastogne or any of my finer Accurate Innovations stocks on that mission! Alaska is a mission for the Ultimates and either Gunkote or Stainless! Nothing else.

Fortunate thing about it is this. If you don't have a permanent setup Alaskan Rifle--Well you can have two stocks, fine Accurate Innovations Termite feeder, and one of the little Ultimates. Going to Africa, or drier conditions, take Termite Food Stock--Going to Alaska, put the Ultimate on, go about your business! Best of all worlds!

That's what I do!

Michael

WRONG!
Beautiful Hardwood stocks from Accurate Innovations will hold up to the cold, wet, freezing sleet, blowing rain...AND provide you a warm natural surface to enjoy and fondle, caressing gently, lovingly, while you curse the weather and wonder why you're not in Africa.
Isolating the beauty of the wood from the performance of the rifle, that's the heart and backbone of every AI stock. Drop Dead Gorgeous, Amazingly Accurate. Just sayin.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

WRONG!
Beautiful Hardwood stocks from Accurate Innovations will hold up to the cold, wet, freezing sleet, blowing rain...AND provide you a warm natural surface to enjoy and fondle, caressing gently, lovingly, while you curse the weather and wonder why you're not in Africa.
Isolating the beauty of the wood from the performance of the rifle, that's the heart and backbone of every AI stock. Drop Dead Gorgeous, Amazingly Accurate. Just sayin.

Oh you get me wrong--The stocks will in fact hold up, they will not shift in wet weather, nor move or cause any issues at all. How do I know this? I had one in Alaska the last time, used it and POI never moved, even though the rifle was rained on 24 hours a day for 10 days. Soaking, sopping wet, every single day!

But, after two days that fine piece of wood begins to look like a piece of soaking plywood, every bit of the oil finish washed out and gone. Thank goodness, a good oil rubbing brought it all back out. But if you think for two seconds I am going to put any of my hi grade bastogne through Alaska weather- Think Again! Not in this life time!

hilbily

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael, the case head on the 450 NE case is about .547". Would be necked to .500". Only real difference is the rim size and the NE case I think are rated to higher pressures but I could check on that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like termite food on my antiques and replicas of antiques. Maple and walnut and a bit of rosewood and ebony here and there.
UNFORTUNATELY, not all of my modern rifles have synthetic stocks, but some do, and the termite food is stored away in cardboard boxes on garage shelving.
KUR hilbily

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Michael, the case head on the 450 NE case is about .547". Would be necked to .500". Only real difference is the rim size and the NE case I think are rated to higher pressures but I could check on that.

Crap Boomy, I don't think I want anything more than the 50 B&M Alaskan---Yesterday playing with that 20 inch Ruger #1 in 51 AK---475 BBW#13 NonCon--2213 fps and the 510 Solid at 2098 fps. And I never made it to flat primers, sticky cases, nothing? The 50 AK will do the same with .500s easy. Who needs more than that? Of course, I would not put that in the lever guns--BLOW to pieces--but that Ruger is not an issue, nor is the 1885.

So I am sticking with the 50 BM AK for those two singles. Big Fun!

Yep, RIP, I love the wood best of all! Being a "Forester", loving the trees, love wood, that sort of thing. A "Wood Hugger" you might say. And after "Training" AI how to make proper Winchester B&M stocks-- They have me hooked bad now! I am the same with my 1911s. Love the Ivories--Character you know! Each one a bit different. But all having the capability of making the change to ugly weather circumstances if needed. And some, set up for ugly weather permanently. I like variety you see!

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

WRONG!

Oh you get me wrong--The stocks will in fact hold up, they will not shift in wet weather, nor move or cause any issues at all. How do I know this? I had one in Alaska the last time, used it and POI never moved, even though the rifle was rained on 24 hours a day for 10 days. Soaking, sopping wet, every single day!

But, after two days that fine piece of wood begins to look like a piece of soaking plywood, every bit of the oil finish washed out and gone. Thank goodness, a good oil rubbing brought it all back out. But if you think for two seconds I am going to put any of my hi grade bastogne through Alaska weather- Think Again! Not in this life time!

hilbily

New Space Age Old World Hand Rubbed Supreme Oil finish is better. Try again. We can always make more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock broker

Will take this to PMs but have one of your stocks on a 416 B&M most excellent but i have a couple of issues having to do with an aging, abused, old cowboy body--- :hillbilly:

With both arthritis and carpal tunnel in both wrists- for me - a slimmer rounder fore-end and a slightly tighter Pistol-grip both would make recoil easier to handle and reduce the pain from twisting wrists to hold on the fore-end. Love your product, just hope to come up with slightly tweaked design to fit my infirmities- old

best

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Does anyone do epoxy impregnated stocks? I know there is a process using pressure to make things as hard and impervious as the epoxy used. All the looks of the wood and all the durability of a synthetic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone do epoxy impregnated stocks? I know there is a process using pressure to make things as hard and impervious as the epoxy used. All the looks of the wood and all the durability of a synthetic.

I have used West System from Gougeon Brothers Inc. sense the early 1970's on boats and many gun stocks. It makes wood tough as fiberglass, if you scratch it can be repaired.

It is formulated to penetrate the wood fibers. Gougeon Bro. are boat builders, and made the West System to repair and build boats, above and below the water line. If you took a piece of wood and coated it with West System, it could submerged in water for months and never turn white or have water penetration.

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coyote wacker:
quote:

I have used West System from Gougeon Brothers Inc. sense the early 1970's on boats and many gun stocks. It makes wood tough as fiberglass, if you scratch it can be repaired.

It is formulated to penetrate the wood fibers. Gougeon Bro. are boat builders, and made the West System to repair and build boats, above and below the water line. If you took a piece of wood and coated it with West System, it could submerged in water for months and never turn white or have water penetration.

That sounds pretty good. Why don't stock makers use this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That sounds pretty good. Why don't stock makers use this?

More than likely because it used on boats.

I would have never known about it, but in high school I worked in a boat yard. And built a DN 60 ice boat using the West System.

I used graphite fibers and West System back in the early 70's on a 98 Mauser in the barrel channel to stiffen the forend , bed the action, then finish the wood.

Wish I still had that gun, I would have never dreamed they would be using graphite and Kevlar now to make stocks back then.

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
coyote

What's the word on the 50 SS? Any news yet? Should be very close.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Stock broker

Will take this to PMs but have one of your stocks on a 416 B&M most excellent but i have a couple of issues having to do with an aging, abused, old cowboy body--- :hillbilly:

With both arthritis and carpal tunnel in both wrists- for me - a slimmer rounder fore-end and a slightly tighter Pistol-grip both would make recoil easier to handle and reduce the pain from twisting wrists to hold on the fore-end. Love your product, just hope to come up with slightly tweaked design to fit my infirmities- old

best

SSR

Are you gonna give me a call?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Accurate Innovations uses an impregnated bamboo that is much more rigid than fiberglass, and heavy to boot. They call it match grade, as they have a lighter weight "field grade" bamboo product also. Pretty impressive stuff, with tensile strength exceeding carbon fiber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Stock broker

best

SSR

Are you gonna give me a call?

PM sent

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
coyote

M

Michael... Looks like the 50 SS will not make this hunt, I don't have it yet. I'am leaving next week.

I'll be taking my Winchester Model 71 450 Alaskan. I'am only going to pull the trigger on a large color-phase.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
coyote

M

Michael... Looks like the 50 SS will not make this hunt, I don't have it yet. I'am leaving next week.

I'll be taking my Winchester Model 71 450 Alaskan. I'am only going to pull the trigger on a large color-phase.

Well DAMN!!!! OK---I would send you one of mine, but the barrels are too short for Canada! Crap, was hoping it would be ready for you. I think Brian must be backed up against the wall, I have two rifles there that were thought to be ready 2 + weeks ago---but, they were at the gunkote guy too, so that takes some time as well.

Sorry! But also, I hate pushing things before you work the rifle out some!

Next time!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
coyote

M

Well DAMN!!!! OK---I would send you one of mine, but the barrels are too short for Canada! Crap, was hoping it would be ready for you. I think Brian must be backed up against the wall, I have two rifles there that were thought to be ready 2 + weeks ago---but, they were at the gunkote guy too, so that takes some time as well.

Sorry! But also, I hate pushing things before you work the rifle out some!

Next time!

Michael

Michael
Thanks for the offer, it's more than generous !

The 450 Alaskan hasn't drawn blood sense '05, it's usually a back-up gun. I should have thought ahead and ordered some CEB's and worked up a load instead of fishing.