THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter and RIP

No worries boys, Brian and I will sort that beast out. You see, I already had the rush job on those boys up there to begin with. This rifle was doing dandy before the new GunKote. It was shooting great, feed and function perfect, it actually has a slightly faster barrel than some of the others, which is odd in itself, but true non the less. I imagine in the rush of things that something went wild with the gunkote and the chamber has some in it causing all these issues. I will find out on Monday soon as Brian gets hands on and Fed Ex Express delivers, I am all over it.

My hope is that we get that sorted out, get the rifle back by say Wed, I put a scope on, sight in, shoot 30-40 rounds, pack it in and go. It is not the MAIN rifle on this trip, I plan on taking only about 15 various rounds of Raptors with it to begin with. I would take another rifle, but this is the one on license, so I am stuck with it one way or the other! I will make it work! Failure is never an option with me.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morning fellow B&M fans... My new 50 Super Short came in last week and Michael was gracious enough to help me get it all setup yesterday and put some rounds down range. Handles great and looks even better. Brian and the guys at SSK did a great job on it and gave me exactly what I asked for and much quicker than expected.

Can't wait to draw "2nd" blood with it. Thanks again for all your help Michael!!

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
7fa

2cd Blood! rotflmo

We were at the 25 yd bench making some adjustments--(they really should not turn me loose with tools) I barely nicked myself, and the meds I take cause me to bleed profusely, before I knew it, blood was everywhere, all over the rifle, the ammo, myself, heh heh........ Nothing but a scratch too!

Ahhh, man, no thanks needed, pleasure! By the way, tell us some more about this stock as I have already forgotten how you found such a stock for this rifle, I have never seen it on another one.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Michael
Have you considered the take down version?
Should fit in a nice small suitcase.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Michael

No, I do not trust things that break in half on purpose! Not to mention, I got to put it back together, and expect it to work? No, not for me!
M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have that 19 inch Gunkote 500 MDM back and up and running. It was not gunkote in the chamber causing the issues, but BRASS BUILDUP! Had not seen this before on any of the 500 MDM rifles, but I suppose there was a sharp edge in the throat going in, shaved enough brass off the bullets that it jammed the chamber up, or something along those lines anyway! A new REAMING seems to have it sorted out and it is shooting better than I can shoot it!

And my final sight in before packing it away for the trip to South Africa. You see, I flubbed the one off to the right! Maybe I will get better if I practice more?

Here is the pair that is going on this little excursion;

Tip to Tip the 500 MDM is 40 Inches on the nose. With scope and sling it weighs in a tad heavy at 10.25 lbs. It handles great, and much better than my 21 inch guns, amazing how 2 inches can make such a huge difference in the way a rifle handles.

The 9.3 B&M comes in at 39.5 inches with it's 19 inch barrel, with scope and sling added it comes in at 8.5 lbs. Handles well and I think will be a pleasure to shoot and carry.

The 500 MDM is only 1.5 inches longer than my 18 inch 50 B&Ms, and handles about as well as they do.

This particular 500 MDM sports an English stock, which turned out pretty nice overall. I had it working slick as can be before it had to get a new gunkote because of the whacking of the barrel from 21 to 19. The bolt is running rough as hell right now, but I plan on working that in with a few 1000 strokes of the bolt! HEH............

Michael

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Looking very nice Michael... Good luck on your hunt!

Boy that .50 B&M is eye candy!!

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
That looks like a great pair for your trip.

The way the 50 MDM shoots you could have made it a one gun safari.

Can't wait to hear how the 9.3 B&M does. I got rid of my 358's and 375's looks like a 9.3 could be in my future.

Craig

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

Craig

Yes, I used to love a 338 of any sort, I still have 338 Winchesters, 338 Ultra, my favorite a 22 inch 338 WSM. Used the 338 Winchesters a good bit in the early days in the field.

Along about the mid 90s I discovered 35 Whelen, liked it pretty well. Graduated to a Winchester m70 in 358 STA and that became my favorite medium of all time right up until 2004, which was the last time I had it out. I have had two of those from the Custom Shop, stainless wood guns. I have shot 30-40 different critters with 358 STA and various bullets. I have not had a medium caliber in the field since 2004--everything has been 416 + since then. My Win M70s in 358 STA need that 24 inch barrel to burn that powder column, and they are long, heavy guns.

Now here is the 9.3 B&M. Short, handy, relatively light, shooting that 210 Raptor at 2900 fps in it's 19 inch barrel, and the first time I have had a medium in the field for 7 years. So I am looking forward to seeing how it performs. I have a feeling that I will never want or need for any sort of medium bore again--the 9.3 B&M I believe will handle all those needs, and then some.

All my 35s and 33s have been retired, too long, too heavy, too much, and I have a bunch of them, 35 Whelen, 358 Winchester, 358 STAs, 358 Utlra, 338 Ultra, 338 Winchesters, 338 WSMs, 338/06, and probably more, all sitting around gathering dust, other than from time to time use them for testing bullets. Right before the 9.3 B&M I built two 9.3X338s--very good use of the 338 Winchester case, and I prefer that to a 338. Then I built a 9.3 Ultra, and never even made it through 1st generation load development before getting bored with the thing. They are gathering dust too. All because of that little 9.3 B&M.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have not mentioned this, been so busy. But I have contracted with a couple of super guys here to do a little DVD about the B&Ms. I was so impressed with the CEB DVD, I wanted one for the B&Ms. These guys should do a really first class production I think. They are very good at these things. There will also be a lot of photographs taken, real professional photos--not my chicken scratching around with the pocket camera. So I should have some really great photos coming in the future of things like that 50 B&M and some of the others that I can't quite capture with my piddly ass little equipment! Looking forward to working with the guys on this after I get back.

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Oh and look at these! I just now received a photo from Wes at Accurate Innovations, and as I understand it, these left today, I should have in my hands Monday before leaving, at least I get to see them!

These are built for my two new B&M rifles--50 B&M and a 475 B&M--Both Gunkote Finish 18 inch guns! These are going to match up nicely I think!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, the only thing to be said about those two stocks is . . .

WOW

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Michael,

WOW! Those are a couple of beautiful sticks! Either one would look great on my .458B&M.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Awesome stocks!
Pretty wood.
How about a monogrammed silver plate?
Question, why the fore arm swivel instead of a barrel band for heavy recoiling guns?

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Boomy

I quit with the barrel bands a few generations of guns back. Those are not studs, but the ones that are inlet. But either way, I learned I really did not need barrel bands, I never get hit or touched by them, suppose I hold on fairly tight and that hand never moves.

whelen and Lion! Thanks, that is exactly what I told Wes--WOW. They are supposed to be a close matching set, looks like they turned out pretty close. Lionhunter, one of those would look incredible on your 458 B&M!

I think Wes sent them today, I should have them Monday! If not, I won't see them for two weeks! I think the rifles are done as well--good timing.

When I get back with that 9.3 B&M it gets sent up to Wes for what is supposed to be a most super duper turkish! Wood costs more than rifles do! But it does have lot's of character!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cross

I forgot to mention, but I sent your rifle up to SSK first of the week, Brian has it in hand. Sent all our email info with it. Feel free to call Brian and speak with him direct to make sure everything is the way you want it. And also send that stock you wanted to put on too so Brian can fit it up proper, but call him and let him know.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Thanks much, will get ahold of Brian first thing next week.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Oh and look at these! I just now received a photo from Wes at Accurate Innovations, and as I understand it, these left today, I should have in my hands Monday before leaving, at least I get to see them!

These are built for my two new B&M rifles--50 B&M and a 475 B&M--Both Gunkote Finish 18 inch guns! These are going to match up nicely I think!

These stocks make m want to get one today!
Beeeuuuudifull as we say in Brooklyn.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I am hoping I get to lay hands on those two sticks Monday, little rubbing and touching you know!

M

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Michael those are beautiful stocks...you're definately adding eye candy to your racks.!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Michael those are beautiful stocks...you're definately adding eye candy to your racks.!

I thought Wes had put them on the truck Friday, but I think he got wind of me leaving on Tuesday and become concerned about sending. So they did not arrive today.

Well, gives me something to look forward to, I understand the rifles for them are completed or nearing completion anyway. So I will put them together when I return. That should make for one fine pair of matching Rifles--50 B&M and 475 B&M--I think my favorites!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:

I thought Wes had put them on the truck Friday, but I think he got wind of me leaving on Tuesday and become concerned about sending. So they did not arrive today.

Well, gives me something to look forward to, I understand the rifles for them are completed or nearing completion anyway. So I will put them together when I return. That should make for one fine pair of matching Rifles--50 B&M and 475 B&M--I think my favorites!

Michael

Now wait a minute there mister.... I thought the 9,3 B&M was your favorite Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Michael whispers "Don't worry, you are my favorite ..." to whichever one of his creations are in his hands at the moment.

Such a "player"

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael

If they get any smaller he will be able to carry them in a shoebox. Really beautiful rifles. I should have jumped when I had the chance.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Michael whispers "Don't worry, you are my favorite ..." to whichever one of his creations are in his hands at the moment.

Such a "player"

animal animal animal
Michael can't help it.
Some men need a harem of carts to keep them satisfied.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
quote:
Michael

If they get any smaller he will be able to carry them in a shoebox. Really beautiful rifles. I should have jumped when I had the chance.
Frank

Maybe a 3 piece take down could fit in some cargo pants Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the good fortune to have my own 500 M.D.M as well as the privalige to have shot several more from the B&M stable including; 9.3, 458, 475 and 50.

As some of you above have noted, they look great, but just like a good looking women.. to do them justice you really need to get them in your hands to fully appreciate the many benifits !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
With the coming of the new 416 300 ESP Raptor and I normally test in bullets in the B&M rifles anyway, this prompted some much needed work in load data on the 416 B&M, which I had been promising, but just seemed to never get there.

New powders for 416 B&M! Great success was had in 500 MDM, 458 B&M with TAC, IMR 8208, and a few others like X-Terminator and AA 2230. So I wanted to see if this carried over to the 416 B&M as well, and one powder did it great, IMR 8208. The others fell to the side. So now, we have IMR 8208 and AA 2520 giving great results, mostly equal to each other for the best bullets for the 416 B&M the 350/325 BBW#13 Combo Solid/HP. While IMR 8208 did not exceed performance of AA 2520, it did equal performance.

The biggest discovery with IMR 8208 is once again the approved use of extruded powders and new full length formed brass. Using a slightly reduced load of IMR 8208 and New Full Length Formed brass, there are no signs of head separation of the case after at least 2 firings. If you recall, new formed 416 brass was horrible if it was full length sized for head separation, even on the first firing. The brass would stretch if not bumped to the shoulder in the chamber using AA 2520. Using IMR 8208, it does not do that. Same story proven in 9.3 B&M and 458 B&M using stick or extruded powders, now true in 416 B&M as well. WHY??? I can't tell you, I don't have a clue! But it is a fact, at least to 2 firings, which is more than AA 2520.

So this means you can go to the field with brand new formed brass, that will feed and function without a bump or issue, and not suffer head separation. This is also extremely valuable to those who do not hand load the various cartridges. I am seeking for Larry at Superior to start loading some of the B&Ms, and this is an important point in that area.

New load data is now on the B&M website 416 B&M Page.

Also, working with the 475 B&M and the lighter BBW#13s, 350/320 Solid/HP--this data has also been updated on the website, of course on the 475 B&M page. With the great success of the light BBW#13s in April, I am taking a look at some of the lighter ones for serious use in other calibers. BBW#13s Like velocity. Running the 350 at over 2500 and the 320 BBW#13 NonCon at 2600 in the 475 B&M might come in useful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super good stuff on the 416 As I am working to get things ready for Sept this helps a lot.

Thanks again Michael

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hey Cross, I was thinking in particular of you and MikeS on this. Go down load the new data sheet as well, if you have not already.

Pay close attention to the New Brass on both the 350/325s, as it is 2 gr less IMR 8208 than with the fire formed brass, but equal in pressure or more, and close in velocity.

I really like this IMR 8208, excellent in several of the B&Ms, and the 500 MDM, 458 Lott and 458 Winchester! Very good stuff!

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

These stocks make m want to get one today!
Beeeuuuudifull as we say in Brooklyn.

About time you put pictures up. Are they better looking in person? When with GUNS???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boomy

I quit with the barrel bands a few generations of guns back. Those are not studs, but the ones that are inlet. But either way, I learned I really did not need barrel bands, I never get hit or touched by them, suppose I hold on fairly tight and that hand never moves.

whelen and Lion! Thanks, that is exactly what I told Wes--WOW. They are supposed to be a close matching set, looks like they turned out pretty close. Lionhunter, one of those would look incredible on your 458 B&M!

I think Wes sent them today, I should have them Monday! If not, I won't see them for two weeks! I think the rifles are done as well--good timing.

When I get back with that 9.3 B&M it gets sent up to Wes for what is supposed to be a most super duper turkish! Wood costs more than rifles do! But it does have lot's of character!

Michael

So glad to read this one! Now we know for sure how to price that stock! SUPER DUPER!!! COSTS MORE THAN RIFLES! Music to my ears!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockbroker:
So glad to read this one! Now we know for sure how to price that stock! SUPER DUPER!!! COSTS MORE THAN RIFLES! Music to my ears!

Yes, That is correct! Keep letting that price go up, and you will find yourself making toothpicks for a living on those machines!

HEH...........

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stockbroker

we need to work on your stocks some--

I have wrist problems and would like top see what we can work out.

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Stockbroker

Lets Talk.
Call me week of the 21st.
Michael can get you in touch.

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Michael sent down (UP?) some ammo and rifles for a graduation party for Patricks 3rd Daughter this weekend. We had 50 Super Short Magnum, 50 B&M AK in Marlin Levergun, and .376 Steyr in Scout platform. Michael sent the Super Short scope separately, and I think the boss put it a little far back on the rifle; two pretty girls got scoped before Wes from AI took a gory gash to the forehead. No doubt you'll be seeing pictures from Pat, so I'll fess up now. Happens to the best, right? Oh, yeah, the guns were fun too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, That is correct! Keep letting that price go up, and you will find yourself making toothpicks for a living on those machines!

What in life is getting cheaper? Place orders now for Exhibition Grade Turkish Walnut Match Grade Whizzbang toothpicks of ultimate quality, fit/finish. Proprietary, custom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Stockbroker

Lets Talk.
Call me week of the 21st.
Michael can get you in touch.

SSR

Thanks will talk to Michael--

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that 475 B&M is what I call serious eye candy!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beautiful stocks! I think you need two more stocks that'll match these two...one each for a 9,3 and .416 so that you'll have two matched sets - a 9,3 & .475 plus a .416 & .500 [all B&Ms] - but they need to be black sight accessories on SS so you'll need to swap things around to make it happen.

Jim coffee
John Wayne