THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 69

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416-458-50 SS-50 B&M Series Cartridges/Rifles Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anybody needs some brass for a 458 B&M SS or 50 B&M SS

Shooters Pro Shop has 40 Bags of 325 WSM 50 pcs $19.95 ea.

http://shootersproshop.com/ind...=73_83&product_id=90

Craig

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Craig

That is a good price on the brass. I must check that out I think!

Thanks for the heads up! I found some 325 somewhere and it was cheaper than the 300 and others, so I bought a good bit of it. It is also great for just going up to 338 for my 338 WSMs, easy. And of course none of the B&M Super Shorts have a preference at all! LOL.........

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE UPDATED WHERE A CLAMP IS USED TO STOP RELOADING FROM BECOMING A BLOOD SPORT

Well if you got to make your own brass for a B&M here's a option instead of a lathe.

TABLE SAW AND A PUSH BOARD

I USED A 10" 60 TOOTH NON-FERRIS CARBIDE BLADE AND A CLAMP

I CUT THEM .005" LONG AND SQUARE UP ON THE CASE TRIMMER

I cut 100 pcs. in 40 minutes.
It was just to time consuming, chuck-it, cut, wait for the lathe to stop, un-chuck.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Coyote

It took you 40 minutes with the saw, or the Lathe? I think the lathe?

Saw looks like a clean cut!

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good way to lose fingers.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
All of mine would have been cut off (fingers) before I could get 5 cases cut!

I have some photos of the very first 50 B&M built on a Ruger Alaskan--belongs to Alaskan Oz, one of our own here. Looks pretty good, except for that Looooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg 22 inch barrel it sports around with.

Try and get those up tomorrow for you guys.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Coyote

It took you 40 minutes with the saw, or the Lathe? I think the lathe?

Saw looks like a clean cut!

M

I did 100 pcs. on the saw in 40 minutes.

There is a small burr, that comes off with the case trimmer.

I did 5 cases on the lathe in about 10 minutes, that was to slow for me.

Now that I got a bunch of cases I will make a steel fixture, that is finger friendly.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Careful with those fingers! Looks pretty slick. One great thing, the cases last FOREVER. I have very serious doubts you will ever wear any out in your life. I have yet to toss any. A friend of mine here has a 50, only 100 cases, and he has documented shooting 50 of them over 75 times each, this was 1/2 year ago, I imagine they have some more wear on them by now! Some of mine I don't know how many times they have been fired, A Lot, still working.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
As most of you know all the B&M cartridges have been built on Winchester M70s to this point in life. Alaskan-Ox insisted on a Ruger Alaskan. Sent it to Brian, and between the two of them they got it put together in 50 B&M. According to Brian it was not much of an ordeal, feed and function is good, no issues. Ox also had to have a 22 inch barrel, I fought, fussed, raised hell, you know how I am, but in the end, it is his rifle, so he gets it his way, not mine! hilbily

It will be very interesting to see if that 22 inch barrel is just for hanging hats on, or if it actually does him some good? We will see!

It turned out to be a pretty sharp looking gun, here it is, first ever Ruger in 50 B&M.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a long barrel for a B&M but hey I liked my 416 at 22 inches so I can't say its bad.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good…though I’d eliminate the barrel band but that’s me. The extra magazine length will be of greater benefit than the 22” barrel length.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
A much, SAFER way to cut WSM brass is to put the neck into a hand drill, tighten chuck, place a HACK SAW on the shoulder and spin it...... get the direction right

Then clean and even up the cut to the shoulder with a sanding belt or disk

Run it into the FL die

Trim with conventional trimmer and pilot

You might take some skin off if your not concentrating, but you definitely won't loose some of your finger

Reg S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
The absolute BEST way that I have found to cut the brass, is buy them 500 at a time, and give them to a friend of mine an HE DOES THE CUTTING!

I still have all my fingers and toes this way!

rotflmo

Michael

Picture of RiverBear
posted Hide Post
hey michael hows that nikon slug scope holding up for ya ?

" The Rocky Mountians Is The Marrow Of The World" "If your to busy to go fishing or hunting, you're just to busy"

Posts: 18 | Location: southern interior, British Columbia | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RiverBear:
hey michael hows that nikon slug scope holding up for ya ?

Riverbear

Still going--zero issues. Right now the slug scope is not on a rifle. Using the 1X4 Africans, and the 2X8 Monarch. The 1X4s are on a 500 MDM, 475 B&M and now last week a 50 B&M. The ones on the 500 MDM and 475 B&M have been shot quite a bit. The 2X8 is only on a 9.3 B&M, so it should never have a problem. I will be going to the field for the first time in 15 years without Leupold. Nikons are going with me in April.

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Coyote

Dies leaving today via fed ex. Sorry it was delayed a week.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael

Need to send you a stock. Should I wait till you return?

Thanks

SSR

PS while I am picking your mind what do you use for a rifle case when flying?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Michael

Need to send you a stock. Should I wait till you return?

Thanks

SSR

Cross, if you don't mind, lets wait until I return, and then get the whole package together and send it with instructions, no rush, no fuss, and get everything 100% RTG (Ready to Go). Just in Case!

At this point, I think that is the best.

M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No prob , thats why I asked? beer

What gun case do you using when flying?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Cross, I might pack up your rifle and send it before I leave, this week. Maybe send the stock direct to Brian? Assuming it is for the 458 Super Short?

That way, if something happens your stuff is in other hands.

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have for many years used the SKB cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cross, I might pack up your rifle and send it before I leave, this week. Maybe send the stock direct to Brian? Assuming it is for the 458 Super Short?

That way, if something happens your stuff is in other hands.

Yes it for the 458 super short. Don't worry about it--you ARE coming back beer We aren't through picking your brain yet.

That said, what ever suits you , I am good with. As far as I am concerned You need to be getting ready for RSA. get er done than relax and worry about shampoo. sofa

Go have fun and bring back big stories.

SSR

M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't worry about it--you ARE coming back

Well of Course I am--I was talking about the chance I might get over there and take drunk for 6 months or so, that is all.

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

the .500 is humming like a Stradivaris (spelling ?) violin !

Best wishes for safe travel and great hunting.

Say G'day to Andrew for me.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Hey Michael,

Just remembered... I know you finished the inside and outside remodel but play it safe and pay the weight overage charges for the shampoo this time!!!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Paul

Excellent! Will do!

Capo

Ain't room for shampoo on this trip--they are all carrying ammo this time! 11 lbs per passenger, and we have 3 passengers maxed out! No SHAMPOO at all!

HEH rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paul

Excellent! Will do!

Capo

Ain't room for shampoo on this trip--they are all carrying ammo this time! 11 lbs per passenger, and we have 3 passengers maxed out! No SHAMPOO at all!

HEH rotflmo
Remember what that cost you last time!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Make sure to line up your shots with trees behind so you might recover bullets from the stumps Smiler
Wishing you an amazing safari Michael.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of mine would have been cut off (fingers) before I could get 5 cases cut!

I have some photos of the very first 50 B&M built on a Ruger Alaskan--belongs to Alaskan Oz, one of our own here. Looks pretty good, except for that Looooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg 22 inch barrel it sports around with.

Try and get those up tomorrow for you guys.

M

rotflmo

Wish you a safe trip Michael...

Ulrik

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I don't leave until April 3 so hold up on the "Good Byes" a few days!

HEH......................

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the "Good Riddance" posts for April 4th? :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

And the "Good Riddance" posts for April 4th? :-)

hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,

My gun is on the bench at SSK

I up dated the photo's of cutting brass, I added a clamp. I didn't want reloading to become a blood sport.

Craig

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Took my .458B&M and 40 rounds of BBW#13 to the range today, along with my Burriss FastFire II red-dot, Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x illuminated circle-dot and the installed NECG open iron sights. Had to shoot and adjust/zero for all three sights. Below are the final groups fired with each sight system. All shots from the bench at 25 yards. Results were favorable.

7/8" MOA 3 round group w/FFII
3/4" MOA 6 round group w/VX-III
3" MOA 4 round group w/open sights

With my aging eyes that's about the best I can do with iron sights. All are minute of Ele. These B&M rifles will shoot.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
tu2 Very nice Mike!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These B&M rifles will shoot.
tu2

Lionhunter, great results from your .458 B&M but not totally surprising to me.

My .500 M.D.M, one of the first to leave the U.S, is cutting ragged holes at 25yds (idividual bullets indescernable) and just slightly bigger ragged holes at 50yds with the 460gn C.E.B non-cons at 2400 fps !

Yesssir, these B&M/SSK/A.I guns SHOOT !

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
LionHunter

Ahhhh, I think you are not going to have any issues at all being ready to go on your big Safari come August! Seems everything is falling dead straight in place, as it should! This pleases me, as you already know!

Well, now, let me tell you about how things can go straight to hell in a skinny! HEH.....

OK, on my little excursion coming up now in exactly 10 days! Received the 500 MDM on Thursday, had the barrel shortened to 19 inches, and they had to re-gunkote! Looked great, felt great. Little issue chambering already loaded 500 MDM ammo? Hmmm? Ammo perfect in 3 other 500 MDM, but not the 19 inch gun? OK, scrub hell out of the chamber, even with some polishing compound, now sized cases fit better, so some gunkote got into the chamber. Still some issues with already loaded solids and noncons. OK, maybe it will shoot out! Shooting about 40 rounds Friday, first one out, sideways at 25???? WHAT? Unstable? HOW? Rifle shot fine, same barrel? Just shorter? WHat the hell? As the number of rounds increased, stability starts to get better, seems something is in the barrel? Scrub it out, can't see anything, still kicking a few to the side? Hmmmmm???

Friday afternoon! New .500 caliber 350 Raptors, arrive! Look Great! Saturday Morning! Try to load some new Raptors--seated so the tip will fit, which is deep already- Will not begin to Chamber, bolt will not close at all! OK enough of this crap! Box the bitch up, get it ready to go to SSK--Call up Fed Ex---EXPRESS OVERNIGHT--Picked up today, Saturday, deliver to Brian at SSK on Monday! Tell Brian to fix the damned thing--Run the reamer in that chamber and clean it out--sent all sorts of dummies that load easy in all other 500 MDMs! Now SSK receives Monday, Brian gets it back out on Tuesday, even overnight that is Wed if everything goes perfect. Receive Wed, scope and sight in on Thursday, and hope for the best to pack it up and get it going by Tuesday. Sounds reasonable I suppose! Should not be an issue, I got the load settled in today, so will have loads and terminals done before it returns! Maybe everything will sort out?

At least the 9.3 is RTG! (Ready To Go)

One good thing--Momma says that we don't have to worry about "SHAMPOO" this time! She left her shampoo there in South Africa last time, and it will be waiting on her when we arrive! That saves at least 2 boxes of ammo! Excellent!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coyote wacker:
Michael,

My gun is on the bench at SSK

I up dated the photo's of cutting brass, I added a clamp. I didn't want reloading to become a blood sport.

Craig

Craig

I see the photos, much better, might save a few fingers!

On the bench, hmmmm, won't take too long from there!

Our friend Terry stopped by early this morning with his brand new 50 B&M Super Short he just received I think earlier in the week! Picked up dies, brass, and a few bullets, and did some shooting! I found a few minutes yesterday to actually load up a few rounds for Terry. Just picked a medium good load, nothing heavy, 345 BBW#13 with 48/WW 297. Problem is, instead of picking 345s off the shelf, I got 375s instead for about 20 rounds before I noticed! shocker

I was on the range before Terry arrived putting the 375s through the pressure trace! They came in at 60000 to 61000 PSI- Safe! Gees, I did not want to give them to him and blow his new rifle up right from the start! Sometimes there is too much going on here I think! Terry is going to try and get some photos up of his rifle soon I think. He found a WSSM stock I have never seen before and has it on the rifle, did a slightly heavier contour than normal, looks great, feels great. Should do just fine.

M

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Michael-

Exactly the kinds of negative issues that WILL arise prior to departure for safari! I hate 'em and do my damnedest to avoid such at all costs. But sometimes the best laid plans go to poop, regardless.

Hope it works out for you.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc M,
Wow! Life is a beach, and then you get to go on safari with sand in your rifle ... not!
Good luck getting it sorted out in time for the scientific expedition/safari.
I have never had the problem with gunkote jobs in the past. Blank happens now and then, even to the best.
Three times in my Rifle Loon career I have had chambers that were ringed or rough and ended up getting recut with barrel shortening at the breech.
It all worked out well, finally.
My current gunsmith has never done anything like that to me. He fixed 2 of those 3 bad chambers.
The third one has had a too short barrel for 25 years.
It is getting rebarreled finally, waiting on the barrel now.

Hopefully all it is for you is some gunkote in the wrong place. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote