THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Projectile for medium velocity .416?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Projectile for medium velocity .416? Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

How does the Speer 350 gr .416 Mag tip do as a hunting bullet for North American game at velocities of 1650 to 2200 fps?

Lookin' for a reasonably priced projectile for a .416 Aagaard cartridge (.376 Steyr necked up to .416).

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 350gr mag tip works well out of my 416 Taylor at 2450fps. Should work out of your too.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, great move. Using our safari rifles for back-home hunting is fun, effective, and keeps us sharp for our big hunts. I've taken a number of Deer with a 375 and up.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a dynamite job on Texas piggies too ;-)

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of Beartooth bullets 335gr LFN gas check cast bullets at 1600-2000 fps--love them, and yes they do expand at these velocities.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sean,

I make a 400 gr GC cast bullet with an NEI mold. The rifle likes it! Have shot clover leafs with it at 100 yards using an AA5744 load at 1600 fps. Great fun for plinking ;-)

Rifle is a "practical build" on a Higgins FN Mauser action. 22" Douglas bbl. Timney Trigger. Custom scope mounts to look a bit like a double square bridge. On a synthetic stock with a GunKote finish for use in nasty weather.

Not beautiful ... but functional and very hardy.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Sean,

I make a 400 gr GC cast bullet with an NEI mold. The rifle likes it! Have shot clover leafs with it at 100 yards using an AA5744 load at 1600 fps. Great fun for plinking ;-)

Rifle is a "practical build" on a Higgins FN Mauser action. 22" Douglas bbl. Timney Trigger. Custom scope mounts to look a bit like a double square bridge. On a synthetic stock with a GunKote finish for use in nasty weather.

Not beautiful ... but functional and very hardy.

It doesn't get much more fun--I shoot both a 416 B&M and a 416 Rem Mag with these

beer

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the Woodleigh 340 gn 416 cal?..
Cheers Malcolm

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the magtips will do great under 2100 -- don't know about over that, as i have had them detonate at 2400.. turning a corn thief inside out and more or less an auto-skin on contact

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 300gr Barnes out of my 400H&H at 2700fps shot a handful of game big and small with it. Also shoot a 300gr Hornady at the same velocity, my go to varmint load turns everything into a grey mist.
have fun.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you are looking for a medium velocity bullet. However, Cutting Edge Bullets makes a 180gr .416. My understanding is they were made for a gent with a 416 wildcat on a 308 case. Might be the ticket for you too. In a 416Rem I have pushed them over 3400fps with copious amounts of RL-7.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my .416 for pretty much everything. I like 400 grain Swift A Frames, for pretty much everything except the little guys and elephants. (works great on turkeys by the way).

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt if such a thing as bullet failure exists on a Texas pig or whitetail with 416..even a solid would work.

I have shot a ton of camp meat in Africa with my 40 calibes with 400 gr. woodleighs, Noslers, GS Customs,North Forks, and other standard bullets with complete success.

As a matter of fact Ive shot more camp meat with 400 gr. solids with excellent results, however solids are illegal to use on game in most of the USA I suspect..Most big bore bullets are designed for heavy game and don't over expand on deer size animals, so anamals shot with big bores usually run 50 or more yards, leave good blood trails and destroy very little meat indeed, not so the high velocity 243, 270s etc..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not know solids are illegal in the US. Oops.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Did not know solids are illegal in the US. Oops.

its a state by state thing--look at the millions of 5.56 solids that are sold annually.

TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, at those velocities a Hawk bullet with their .035 jkt would work very well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good grief ! 416 on North American game Big Grin Big Grin
Seriously other than for novelty sake; Why ?
Or perhaps i'm missing something ..... like perhaps deer with personal armour !

As for African Plains game......of the 127 odd huntable species all but 4 or 5 really qualify for a 416...... the rest are basically 30-06 worthy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF- part of the reason to use a 416 for NA game is noted in a previous entry- getting familiar with the rifle. While I normally use a 338 Win Mag for elk hunting, I'm giving serious thought to using a 404 Jeffery this year. Over the Spring & summer I will have fired about 500 cast loads and 50 - 100 full jacketed loads; then possibly one or two if needed at an elk. Result would be about the same as with the 338, but this way I advance my educational opportunities.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray B
It's a little tongue in cheek BS !

There is no rule against using too much gun, though I must say its looks a bit funny when a well healed visitor hunter shows up with a 416 and culling belt and all he is about to hunt is a impala Roll Eyes

Now a "small 10" hunter showing up with a downloaded 375 is to be taken seriously because he /she obviously knows what its about !

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Good grief ! 416 on North American game Big Grin Big Grin
Seriously other than for novelty sake; Why ?
Or perhaps i'm missing something ..... like perhaps deer with personal armour !

As for African Plains game......of the 127 odd huntable species all but 4 or 5 really qualify for a 416...... the rest are basically 30-06 worthy.

Hahaha!

I have used large bore rifles, including 460 WEATHERBY, to shoot seagulls at the beach clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hahaha!I have used large bore rifles, including 460 WEATHERBY, to shoot seagulls at the beach

They blow up really nice like sage rats and such

dancing

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not as much ch as the ones shot with the 220 Swift.

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
however solids are illegal to use on game in most of the USA I suspect..

nope - not even close
FMJ milsurp bullets are "non-expanding projectiles" (a solid) -- including pistols (where states require/allow pistol calibers) ...

just let's think that one through

btw, MOST arrows are non-expanding, as well ... just to stretch the point (pun intended)

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
This is why I thought the 376 Steyr case was better suited necked up to 410 and 423 to have the bullets that have lower impact velocity envelopes. The 410-376 Steyr would have the most flexibility with pistol and 405 Win bullets to boot. Call it the 400 Karamojo or 410 Pondoro if you want to dedicate it to a hunter. I like the 400 Karamojo! Bell sure knew what he was doing. 10.75x60?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Not as much ch as the ones shot with the 220 Swift.

Not as much as one shot with a 25-06

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Do a dynamite job on Texas piggies too ;-)

Yup I shot a feral hog at 8 feet with my 500 Jeffery (570g TSX at 2300 fps), penetrated lengthwise starting with between his eyes. Wasn't much left to eat though ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The worst - or best - rifle for blowing birds up is the 22-243!

When I shoot one, and Walter is watching, he says "he is instantly in heaven now!

one of us
posted Hide Post
370 north forks

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the 300 grain TSX loaded to 2500fps if you can get there. Otherwise Id call it less than medium velocity.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to CEB,or North fork and take your pick--in my limited experience Barnes need more velocity-the harder you push them the better

TANSTAAFL

DSC Life
NRA Life