THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Best 250-270 grain factory ammo for .375 H&H

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 250-270 grain factory ammo for .375 H&H Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I recently returned from my first safari, where I took 13 species of plains game ranging in size from Springbok to Eland....all with the outfitter's .375 H&H using factory Federal 300 gr. soft points. I was impressed with the performance on all my animals and how quickly everything died, even if they ran....I can see why it has always been praised as one of the best "all around" safari calibers. The only complaint I have is the amount of bullet drop past 200 yards

I currently own two .375's (a CZ 550 and a Winchester Mod. 70) but have only used them to shoot a few pigs and a Water Buffalo here in Texas (all using 300 gr. Swift A-Frames). I'd like to set up one of these rifles to be an ideal choice for things like Nilgai, Eland, Moose, etc... but also use something a bit flatter shooting than standard 300 gr. ammo.

What do you guys recommend for a good factory ammo in either 250 or 270 grain offerings? Have any of you used Hornady 250 gr. CX polymer tip ammo or Federal 250 gr. TBBC ammo?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with 250gr Barnes TTSX. I've taken bushbuck through moose (eastern canadian) at ranges from 10yds to 300yds with great results.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a 260's a 260gr Accubonds load that might work for you.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke don't go fix,en it...the 300 gr is the best even at long range, it shoots flatter at extreme ranges starting at about 400 yards and increasing beyond that..Not book or internet information, but using my long range shooting with hunting rifles at up to 600 or more yards in the desert behind my house..not say 250 and 270s or bad, they are fine and work well at 300 yards give or take, but the lighter bullets don't have the punch way out yonder on the particularly tough animals you mention...Just my opine that has been my choice, but to each his own..

I found the 300 gr.BTSP Sierras outstanding at long range, and they perform well indeed...sight in 3" high at 100 and go from there..but on big game is it wise to shoot beyond 300 to perhaps 400 yards on a fine game animal? think before you shoot..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I cant recommend a factory load as I reload only. But I can say that I hunted 8 species of plains game in South Africa with my 375 H&H using my own loads with the 250gn Barnes X bullet. I was very happy with the performance.

Everything was a one shot kill, except for a Hartebeest which was accidentally shot through several inches of tree. The tree deflected the bullet enough that I missed the shoulder, but the bullet hit the Hartebeest in the spine and dropped it on the spot.

I left my surplus ammo with the PH at the end of the hunt. Another client used the PHs rifle with my ammo to shoot a buffalo.

So I guess the short story is that if you can find factory ammo with a 250gn Barnes X, I think its worth a try.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The monolithic bullet is long for weight, I would give it a pass in 250 or 270 gr. for the animals you list..IN a cup and core or partition or solder core bullet I will stick with the 300 and heavier..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Anything with a Barnes TSX at the pointy end and you'll be good to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second that.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to the shortages on all components lately, I struggled to find anything last fall for my elk hunt. I burned 10 years of priority points to pull the tag and really wanted to make the most of it. I had lots of misc. bullets, but wanted a few boxes of one consistent type to maintain a point of impact from the range into the field.
The only bullets I could find any quantity in, were the 250 gr. Sierra Gameking's. I had never really used much in the sierra line (always preferred a nosler 260 when available).
When the opportunity came, an 80 yard shot with the game kings had the elk fold up within 30 yards. Weight retention was an amazing 94%, with the frontal diameter expanding to roughly twice the original size, and the bullet nestled in nicely on the off-hand side of the shoulder.
I may just start looking at the Game king lineup for more of my other guns!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like that 300 gr. Sierra BTSP, its a killer and flat shooting..I have a load for it in my 375 Ruger thats uses a 3" high at 100 yard trajectory, to shoot a pie plate group at 470 yards with breath of daylight between cross hair and elk hair..Perfect for low sage brush desert elk. Main problem is wind, its more guess and by gosh..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
We are blessed with a lot of fantastic bullets and each one has its proponents. Once you learn to trust a bullet's performance they become favorites.
In our bear camps the 270 TSX is the current favorite , with the 260 Accubonds and 300 Partitions running second and third.
The 250 GMX Hornady's seem to shoot and perform well but haven't been out long enough to earn a big following

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It hard to beat the 300 gr. Nosler partitions, Ive used it in AFrica on DG and PG. it worked on both.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I like the 300g A-Frames but as Phil said, so many good choices these days.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you gotta hand it to the bullet makers of today, these new bullets ain't yo daddys bullets, and I can't think of a bullet today thats likely t0 fail other than on a rare occasion that got by the spell check. I grew up in the bullet failure day, it was common, but what wasn't so common is an animal not recovered back then..Maybe old time tracking skills was the common denominator of the day. old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
First, I would say that a person is likely to sight their 375 in at 100 yards.

Second, the drop for a 260 Accubond and a 300 Partition at standard velocities at 250, 300, & 350 are below:

260 AB: -8.3, -14.3, & -22.00

300 Partition: -10.3, -17.6, & 27.1

I would suggest that if you can manage ~14 inches of drop you can manage ~17 inches in drop as well as 22 vs. 27.

I would saying knowing what the drop is and the the distance to the target is 10 times more important than any difference in drop.

In summary, the benefit of the flatter trajectory is "more in your head" than in the field.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm? could be! at least a factor Mike!! salute was your sight in at 100 yard dead on..

Mine is and always has beer 3" high at 100 and thats 4"s high at 200, dead on at 250 with my 375 Ruger and I forget what drop was at 400 but it will work with a top of the back hold..basically all my rifle are so sighted and work as such.

I only used the 375 for Africa mostly for buff and large PG, and a cow elk or two. preferring the .338 or 300 H&H..as they shoot a little flatter, but not by much..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
We are blessed with a lot of fantastic bullets and each one has its proponents. Once you learn to trust a bullet's performance they become favorites.
In our bear camps the 270 TSX is the current favorite , with the 260 Accubonds and 300 Partitions running second and third.
The 250 GMX Hornady's seem to shoot and perform well but haven't been out long enough to earn a big following

and of course the gmx is no more built ...

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
First, I would say that a person is likely to sight their 375 in at 100 yards.

Second, the drop for a 260 Accubond and a 300 Partition at standard velocities at 250, 300, & 350 are below:

260 AB: -8.3, -14.3, & -22.00

300 Partition: -10.3, -17.6, & 27.1

I would suggest that if you can manage ~14 inches of drop you can manage ~17 inches in drop as well as 22 vs. 27.

I would saying knowing what the drop is and the the distance to the target is 10 times more important than any difference in drop.

In summary, the benefit of the flatter trajectory is "more in your head" than in the field.

What Mike said

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you start shooting way out yander drop goes south because blood, muscle, brain mater, and nerve function works in mysterious ways. May be best to hold with a tad of air between the X and it you shoot high try holding on hair by then you have scored or go find another target. Advise for most but be your own judge. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
When you start shooting way out yander drop goes south because blood, muscle, brain mater, and nerve function works in mysterious ways. May be best to hold with a tad of air between the X and it you shoot high try holding on hair by then you have scored or go find another target. Advise for most but be your own judge. rotflmo

This thread is 9 months old, but Ray you're getting older, and so am I, but this post doesn't make much sense... maybe you should revise it?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 845 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent performance with Hornady 250 grain GMX on African up to and including a big Eland. I found bullets under the hide on the off side that mushroomed perfectly and retained their weight except for the plastic tip. I would go to 300 grain bullets for buffalo, however.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote