THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    monting a Swarovski Z6 on winchester 70 safari express

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

monting a Swarovski Z6 on winchester 70 safari express Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Swarovski Z6. 1-6x24 EE
I have read that the large eye box on this scope may require higher rings than low so the bolts won't hit the scope eye piece
anyone of you have experience on this

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just mounted a bunch of Z6 and Z6i (illuminated) scopes. They typically required 30mm high rings. The ocular housing on the illuminated scopes is especially bulbous. You might be able to use medium rings with your Z6 depending on bolt handle clearance.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Richard at NEAR scope rings and he told me that no problem with the bolt but I would have with the rubber ring on the power selector
if I use a pica tiny rail and if the scope is mounted forward in order to be over the pica tiny rail there I would need medium to high rings

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another reason to stay clear of those huge scopes on hunting rifles IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41801 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The high mounting is the reason I took a Z6i off my plains game rifle and replaced it with a Zeiss Victory HT. The much smaller ocular housing allowed me to mount the Zeiss much lower and maintain a good cheek weld. I put the Z6i on a single shot rifle where I could mount it much lower, no bolt to clear; and is is perfect for me in that application.

As I found out the hard way a wide field of view is of little use if a lack of cheek weld impedes finding and maintaining view through the scope.

Posts: 157 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will receive the rifle next week will see if the bolt scrape the ocular of my Z6
the way everybody speaks it a certainty
hope not
Picatinny and rings should be high enough wee will see

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will look I have 3 mounted. I believe they are medium QW rings but can double check. Z6i 1-6. Great setup for me

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2844 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
love my Z6 and its a EE extended eye relief
no longer made

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the QR are highly rings (.310) and position the ocular very low over rear of action. I have no issue using it(Z6i 1-6 EE). I can’t post here but I can send you a pic

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Z6 1.7-10 mounted on a custom Mauser with low Talley rings and it clears no problem. My dad has the same scope also on a Dakota 76 with either Leupold low or medium rings, I can’t remember which, and it clears just fine as well. They are my favorite scopes.

Posts: 290 | Location: Coweta Oklahoma  | Registered: 08 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more and more I am smiling
thanks guys
can't wait to have the rifle
will post pic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us see what you end up with good luck !

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
promise

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Those Swaro ocular housings certainly are whoppers, c. 45.5mm compared with my favorite dangerous-game variable, an old Nickel Marburg 1-4x21's 30mm.

So, l'm with Ray. The bigger the scope, the easier it is to knock out of zero.

Those Z6 scopes also have a lot of tunnel vision, the last thing you need when hunting dg, esp. species that hang around together. Though the FoV is big, the country blotted out around it may hide animals even more a threat than the one you're shooting at.

The tunnel vision is largely due to big, rubber eyepieces but also from field stops necessary with constantly centred reticles to mask glare off crooked erector tubes when scopes are badly mounted.

The field stops form a vicious circle, really Big Grin

The more intrusive they are, the more field of view they block, leading makers to bigger and bigger oculars to get it back.

Posts: 4933 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
My M70 375 has thst scope with Warne bases and Warne Med rings. No issues with bolt clearance,

Safe shooting

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not find this to be the case on one power with both eyes open and a great lit reticle. I’ve used them to great effect. YMMV

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:

Those Swaro ocular housings certainly are whoppers, c. 45.5mm compared with my favorite dangerous-game variable, an old Nickel Marburg 1-4x21's 30mm.

Those Z6 scopes also have a lot of tunnel vision, the last thing you need when hunting dg, esp. species that hang around together. Though the FoV is big, the country blotted out around it may hide animals even more a threat than the one you're shooting at.

The tunnel vision is largely due to big, rubber eyepieces but also from field stops necessary with constantly centred reticles to mask glare off crooked erector tubes when scopes are badly mounted.

The more intrusive they are, the more field of view they block, leading makers to bigger and bigger oculars to get it back.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Z6 1-6x 24mm mounted on a Dakota 76, and a Christiansen Ridgeline carrying a Z6 2-12x 50mm. I used medium height rings.

In both cases, the bolt handle rubs against the scope covers and can get jammed. With the scope cover removed, as it normally would be when hunting, the bolt handle misses the EP.

I wonder if I should have used taller rings, but that might cost a cheek weld; so I'm reasonably happy with the mediums.

Posts: 6076 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
I do not find this to be the case on one power with both eyes open and a great lit reticle. I’ve used them to great effect. YMMV

quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:

Glad to hear that, GS. Can you see the illumination citadel on the ocular housing at the optimal eye relief?

I guess the kind of field-blending l want is less familiar to hunters who grew up with constantly centred reticles. The photo on the back of my book on scopes (Light at the Start of the Tunnel) gives some idea, showing a tree through an old 1x Nickel, with a branch continuing out of it as though seen through and around a dark, fuzzy keyring. If you haven't got a copy, PM me your address and l'll send you one, gratis.

Posts: 4933 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here are the photo of my 458 Winchester Magnum safari express
the mount are from NEAR
Picatinny and alpha mount

One of Us
posted Hide Post
to big

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no familiar with posting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen, Brother!

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 375 supports a 3X Leupold in Talley QD estra low rings because they are riding on low custom bases.

I also have been trying the newer Leupold QD rings and bases as they reallY bring a scope down..I read some poor reports of the LEVERS breaking off, and got the word that the nay sayer was using channel locks to tighten the LEVERS, what a whiz that gun crank is. So far mine have held as has my zero on several rifles and just finger tight LEVERS.

I suspected as much because the levers on the leupolds are round and fat like a penny and not prone to be weak as the leverage isn't there..Soo far I am really liking them and the bases are low enough to see your irons over them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41801 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sine I wear glasses and if I get the scope to low I get the top bar of the glasses in the scope vision
so by choosing medium my head is more up so it does not interfere
its a compromise. this way I have a light pressure cheek weld but its ok
what can I say you have to live with old age

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I used the post type Leupold detachable rings/bases when they first came out. I never had any issue with them staying secure.
I had them on 375 H&H’s and 416 Remingtons.
I don’t recall the repeatability of zero. I expect was as good as most any.

I do recall having to use my Leatherman a couple of times on the levers to release them. It was not a lack of lubricant or rust issue. It seemed at least one set would tighten with shots fired.
Was not a big issue to me, I always carry a Leatherman in my pack. And, I (so far) have never removed a scope on a hunt.

The Leupold’s are a clean/neat looking set up.
At some point, I went to using Talley screw-lock on my M70’s and it’s clones, and Alaska Arms on Rugers and my CZ. This far, no issues with any of them, and I do use “non-lightweight” 30mm scopes.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the bolt handle touch the covers using some of the larger ocular scopes. I just make sure it does not impede function, and make sure I place/rotate the covers so no projections are in the bolt path.
I have also had the power ring grip protrusion contact the bolt when on absolute minimum power, in this situation I roll it up slightly.
I use “low” rings, but that is merely the manufacturers description. I function test to make sure, that I am familiar with and will not have an issue if there is a panic-type situation.
—————————————————————-
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
I have a Z6 1-6x 24mm mounted on a Dakota 76, and a Christiansen Ridgeline carrying a Z6 2-12x 50mm. I used medium height rings.

In both cases, the bolt handle rubs against the scope covers and can get jammed. With the scope cover removed, as it normally would be when hunting, the bolt handle misses the EP.

I wonder if I should have used taller rings, but that might cost a cheek weld; so I'm reasonably happy with the mediums.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
with the set up from NEAR. the scope does not intefere on all power setting. about 1//4 inches everywhere around the ocular bell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
canuck4570,
I am glad your set-up works well for you.
That should be a solid combination. Near is known for quality products.

The Swarovski 1-6x24 EE also seems to be a very good scope. I did not have an interest in them until after they stopped making them. Thanks to a buddy of mine, I now have 2 of the illuminated types for 458 Lott’s.
I also have a couple of the non-EE / non-illuminated ones.
————————————————————————-

quote:
Originally posted by canuck4570:
with the set up from NEAR. the scope does not intefere on all power setting. about 1//4 inches everywhere around the ocular bell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the EE version is great
and the circle dot illumination is also great
will be going moose hunting next year with it
will be shooting a 550gr. cast bullet with a .370 méplat
my hunting buddy has a ruger no 1 and he shot a moose with it about 170 yards bullet entered the back ham and existed near the front opposite shoulder
velocity was 1620 fps
we have shot this bullet to 2024 fps average with 64gr. of IMR 3031
this a load just touching the base of the bullet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
canuck4570,
That is a serious chunk of lead. And definitely provided aplenty penetration on your buddy’s moose !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and it is very accurate no matter the powder charge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never played around with the cast bullets in the 458 Winchester. But, have a very healthy respect for hard cast in the revolvers and 45-70. I have some 45-70 Grizzly Ammunition factory loaded 460 grain that should work well. Though unconfirmed personally.
I have some the 460 grain bullets to load for 45-70. Thought if they feed well, they might be a decent bullet for 458 Winchester also. Not sure of leading and bullet integrity speeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger no 1 in 4570 and it shoot great
sized them .002 over. (.460 ) wheel weight and a good lube and you good to go up to 2000 fps without fuss
the 458 shoots at 2025 fps and no leading
the 4570 I alway shot around 1600 fps top. not heavy enough for fast load kits to much

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good reason to shoot a Blaser rifle, bolt comes straight back!!

Ill duck and hide now!!

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the blaser Savana safari in 458 before I bought the winchester safari express
but a $10000 + not in by budget. but they are nice rifle