Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tough upped partitions Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a writing by John Barsness posted on 24 campfire that the partition on the Nosler Partition on large calibers 9.3 and up was more forward and thicker than on the standard caliber portions and thicker than the partition on a Swift Aframe.

He states that for caliber and bullet weight the large caliber portions will out penetrate Swift Aframe counter parts. He also stated these tougher, large caliber partitions will retain 75-85 percent of their weight even if the front core is lost.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Maybe - I don't know.
I've never recovered a 286 NPT from my 9.3 to see what it looks like.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have on a black bear. It retained 210 grains. The front was gone and some of the "wings" were folded forward which meant that it turned around and was going base forward near the end. It was poking through the fur and hide in the flank forward of the hip from a shot to center chest as it face me at 65 yards. It fell out on skinning. MV was +2600 fps from my 9.3 x 62 Tikka.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 846 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:

My kind of answer! And usually true with North Fork bullets.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Partition was designed to do two things. First on close shots, at high velocity, to do tremendous damage and still penetrate (the front half disintegrating, the back half keeps on trucking). Second to expand at long range / low velocity. Think a 270 shooting a 150g Partition with 2900 fps muzzle velocity at 500 to 600 yards on an elk or deer class animal. It still does both admirably. I think an A-Frame will retain more weight (I love A-Frames) but at lower velocity / long distance their expansion will be less. Lots of great bullets out there. I shoot 150g Partitions at 3000 fps from my 270, 300g A-Frames at 2700 fps from my 375 Weatherby and 570g TSX at 2300 fps from my 500 Jeffery. All great bullets.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Swift A frames do typically hold more weight, but that does not mean more penetration. The rear half of the Partition, being narrow, usually out penetrates the A frame.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you guys tried the 458 500 grain partition on game? I have used the 30 caliber years ago, it worked great.

I just purchased some for a good price, as well as some solids to play with.

Thank you

Craig

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great bullets, Noslers.
I could always get higher velocity with the .375/ 300-gr Nosler Partition than with the Swift A-Frame.
Something about the Swift A-Frame made it sticky in the barrel, slower velocity and/or higher pressure.
The only factory ammo I ever had pierce a primer was loaded with .375/ 300-gr A-Frame in .375 H&H.
Remington recalled that ammo.
But hand-loaded in a .375 Wby to only 2600 fps instead of 2700 fps,
the Swift A-Frame sure did a nice job of cutting Kodiak deer in half
so the carcass could be hauled out of the ravine without having to do much knife work.
Made for speedier packing out after the rifle shot, dinner bell for the bears.

machinistbutler, holycow

Thanks for that reminder. I have totally neglected the relatively new .458"/ 500-gr Nosler Partition & FN brass solid.
They will be ideal for the .458 WIN+P.
Use the Nosler Reloading Guide 8 data for the .458 Lott and work up from there.

In 24" Length/ 1:14" Twist barrels for both rifles they show their 500-grainers doing this:

.458 Winchester Magnum loaded to 2092 fps with 108%(C) charge of 68.0 grains of H335. COL 3.320".
Compressed ball powder and low pressure, no doubt !!! shame

.458 Lott loaded to 2207 fps with 109%(C) charge of RL-15. COL 3.590".
Why did they quit there ? 109 % compressed stick powder, or pressure of 62,500 psi ???

We can do better with the .458 WIN+P using those 500-gr Nosler Partitions and solids.
.458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM PERFECTION
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am new to the 458, and have been gathering a few components . Your thread on the 458 pushed me over the edge and now have a second rifle coming in from the states.

Was able to source Norma brass , Barnes and some nosler solids here. And have some factory rounds coming in from nosler in 2 weeks, partitions and solids , with the new cz rifle.

Just love touching off those rounds, it is great fun.

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did he show any pictures of the bullets?

Cut one in half and take a look.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have 260 gr and 300 gr for my 376 Steyr. I only have Hornady factory loads in 225 gr for now. Guess I need to start shootin'. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just weighed a 400gr 416 Partition my wife shot lengthwise into a sable at 200 yards, 383gr with a portion of the front core still there. recovered the bullet base forward.

I love Nosler bullets.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A WISE MAN SAYS:
quote:
Originally posted by machinistbutler:
I am new to the 458, and have been gathering a few components . Your thread on the 458 pushed me over the edge and now have a second rifle coming in from the states.

Was able to source Norma brass , Barnes and some nosler solids here. And have some factory rounds coming in from nosler in 2 weeks, partitions and solids , with the new cz rifle.

Just love touching off those rounds, it is great fun.

And I just ordered one box each of .458-cal/ 500-gr Nosler Partition and Solid.
That is all they had left of them at MidwayUSA, told me to "Hurry, only one box left!"
Partitions are sold out at shop Nosler dot com too, though solids are in stock there.

compare to smaller calibers:

tu2

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have been so happy with the performance of the 200 gr Partitions in my 30-06 and for many years had been suggesting Nosler make a 458 bullet.

I got a couple boxes and was wishing I had used them during last fall's bear season.
I was assisting another guide so grabbed a handful of my old reloads with 500 gr Woodleighs , thinking they would be adequate in case of a charge.

After the client had poked a hole in a big boat and it got away in the pucker brush, the hunt ended up a little more fascinating than planned. Woodleighs have a well earned reputation for holding together and making pretty looking recovered Bullets that hold their weight. Unfortunately, in my experience they don't penetrate nearly as deep as Partitions. And that day my life would have been much simpler had I chosen Partitions.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have been so happy with the performance of the 200 gr Partitions in my 30-06 and for many years had been suggesting Nosler make a 458 bullet.
I got a couple boxes and was wishing I had used them during last fall's bear season ...
... And that day my life would have been much simpler had I chosen Partitions.

Where do we read THE REST OF THE STORY, please.
popcorn

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I got a couple boxes and was wishing I had used them during last fall's bear season ...
... And that day my life would have been much simpler had I chosen Partitions.

Where do we read THE REST OF THE STORY, please.
popcorn

Short version, when we first caught up to the bear after tracking it for 45 minutes, I was able to put two hits under the tail of a departing bear. Which with adequate penetration should have at least pacified him, if not stopped him. Two hours later, after twice bumping him out of well hidden lairs and not getting more shots, he jumped up from 20 yards away and required two more shoulder/chest hits from my 458 and I think four from the other guides 375

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker
That is some food for thought on bear ammunition,
thanks.
Big bears require more than a "Lion Load" bullet, sho'nuff.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:

My kind of answer! And usually true with North Fork bullets.

I shot a moose at 165 yards with a 286-grain NP from a 9.3x62. The bullet hit the moose behind the ear, & he collapsed on the spot. Penetration was lousy, maybe 6" tops. The mangled bullet stayed in the neck.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used some older partitions in a .416 Rigby and was less than impressed with how the front came apart and the base changed course in the animal... but I’ve had great luck with them in .30 and smaller...

A couple PH’s really didn’t like them for buffalo. They much preferred I use TSX, TBBC’s or AFrames for softs.

Lately they tell me that I have shot enough, use what I want to...

So I stick with AFrames, TBBC’s, TSX, or Northforks for DG.

Mr. Shoemaker has enough clout with me to respect his opinion though.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_TX:
Did he show any pictures of the bullets?

Cut one in half and take a look.

He did not. I am not sure how to cut one apart

Just put a saw to it?

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:

I shot a moose at 165 yards with a 286-grain NP from a 9.3x62. The bullet hit the moose behind the ear, & he collapsed on the spot. Penetration was lousy, maybe 6" tops. The mangled bullet stayed in the neck.

Wonder where all that energy went ?

Or how a softer bullet would have penetrated farther ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, the .458/ 500-grain Protected Point Partition would have killed that dead moose even deader than a 9.3/ 286-gr Partition possibly could have !

I am not going to take a hacksaw to any of these bullets.
I think the Nosler images are trustworthy for location and thickness of partitions.
The .308/ 200-gr and .338/ 250-gr partitions were shown previously.
The two in this reply were magnified 2X for Mr. Magoo.

That .458 is impressive.
Nose core is smaller and base core is larger in proportion to total lengths and weights.
Base core is a true cylinder "wadcutter."
Base jacket and partition are thicker
Nose jacket is stouter too.
And OOH LA LA a Protected Point meplat !
And BC ain't bad at 0.389.
'Twould be nice if both cores were bonded to jacket and partition.

Here is another comparison for Mr. Magoo:

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barness is correct, Nosler made that changed some years ago setting the partition forward in certain calibers, and its a better bullet as a result..There is no better bullet than the Nosler partitions IMO, some are equal, but none better...

Ive shot 200 gr. Nosler in my 06s for years and 200 gr. Accubonds for the last 5 years or so..I don't see much difference in the two on deer and elk..and the 286 Nosler partition in the 9.3x62 is a wonder bullet, but wonder bullets are pretty common these days, Kudos for the ammo makers..

I have and used Noslers in almost every caliber of hunting rifle I have, and no complaints over the last perhaps 60 or so years I guess.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Partitions have been my go to bullet for about 55 years. The improvements over the years are fine. The end result is the same, dead animals.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good feature on the .458/ 500-gr Nosler PP-Partition:
A cannelure, the top of which is below the bottom of the partition.
Cannelure location is optimized for the Lottites, I am sure.
So there is a great expanse of smooth shaft for knurling the secondary cannelure onto the bullet,
to optimize for the .458 WIN+P at 3.6" COL.
BOL = 1.443"
Seating depth = 0.343" with a Lee Factory Crimp.
That will be a secure and trouble-free load.

With a 100% Loading Ratio/fill (or greater) of powder of choice,
compression will be same as with the .458 Lott at 3.600" COL, same bullet, same powder, same COL.

Physics of the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum throat:
Equal the .458 Lott velocity with same or lower pressure,
or add more powder and beat the .458 Lott velocity at same or lower pressure.
And accuracy is superb with the .458 WIN+P.
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello gents: Just noticed that sports south has six boxes of the .458 partitions left they are shown as being on closeout. cheers luke

Posts: 352 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being formerly clueless, I just learned that Sports South, LLC is a distributor that sells only to an FFL with a storefront.
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I went to Sports South location unknown it only sold to brick and mortar FFL. Locked up tighter than Dick’s hatband.

They did not appreciate me pulling on the door.