one of us
posted
'

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hubel:

Are there any web page or other place, where can be found complete info about your line of cartridges, rifles, load data, on what rifle it can be done etc.?

Did anyone have rifle chambered in your caliber in Europe?

Thank you,
Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Will search for info.

What is your preferred, recommended action/rifle that can handle full pressure loads?

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I need to ask local authorities because:

We (country) are member of C.I.P. and every firearm must be proofed in proof house. They have "proof rounds" for all C.I.P. cartridges (what I know), but I am not sure about "wildcats".

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I will ask my friend with gunsmith license.

What about chamber reamer?

Jiri

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
over 100 websites, you don't say?

sure loved that 577 BME, too --

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
You mentioned the 585 BB can be used in a lever action. Specifically which ones? Is it for instance short enough to fit in a Marlin 1895?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hubel:

Lothar Walther in Germany makes .577N.E./.585Nyatti barrel blanks, but up to 26" only. Ext. diam 1.26", land diam: 0.573, groove diam: .582, 8 grooves, 1 in 20" twist. Will have to check other makers here.

Do you have please link/web to Bertram Brass?

Jiri

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ed,
to be clear, i actually made the first .585/550 gibbs cases (BME) - and decided it was way to to much trouble to make a belt, and too much of a hassle to headspace off the casemouth... in fact, i was talking to Neal on the phone, at the same time ... then we called boomie and "gave" it to him ...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:
Full pressure loads, I like Ruger #1s for single shot.

And Enfields for economical bolt guns,

and Ruger RSM for costlier ones. Your country big BRNO just as good.

Lawton/Stiller for target rifles.

Folks in Canada has company that imports for them, Prophet River.

You folks in the EU need one. Can just one do for all of you.

Folks in AUS can get cases direct from Bertrams, barrels direct from Grant Swan,

dies from us or CH4D...Ed

Mr Hubel, how are those Ruger No 1 Stocks holding up?

If I did a .585 HE, it would be on a laminate No 1. I already have one in .458 Lott that's been throated so I can approach .460 Wby velocities that I'd rather not part with but I might if I can't locate another at a reasonable price.

Do you still have a good supply of barrels, dies and brass? What twist are you using in it for the heavy loads (750 gr @ 2400+) ?

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed,

Don't you and ProMartusheff post on Facebook? Perhaps, you could suggest the forums there to someone who might be interested?

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, but who actually had reamers made, dies made, and built the first rifle in 550 Gibbs, and brought it to the inaugural Hoot-n-Shoot in February of 2008?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Are you in any way involved with a bigger, beltless case I read about on another forum? The poster said it holds more powder but is not answering questions about it.

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Do you know of anyone making a long range 416/585 Hubel Express?

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I am in. Ordered barrel, dies etc.

Still not sure if it will be on Ruger #1 or CZ 550 Magnum.

Ed: What is diameter of rim? If it will be 505 Gibbs bolt, will it work with no mods?

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed nice posting but i would to know two things,what was the donor rifle?and the next thing
is who was the gunsmith?Again a beautiful rifle,and were there anymore rifle on hunt?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big will,
Thanks for your kind comment about my 24 ga. FH single shot. (27 inch barrel)

The PH had a nice old Belgium Browning 458 WM. with GS Custom solids. He never needed to use it.
My three buffalo were one shot kills.
700 grian hard cast bullet (22BHN) at 1800 fps. Worked like custom solids!

It was one of the most enjoyable hunts that I have had in Africa. ( LowVeld, Klasserie River.)

The story of the hunt is in the summer issue of The African Hunting Gazette. "Never Mind the Bull".

The video is on YouTube. "Brian Hunts Cape Buffalo."

You can probably find a gunsmith to do the work on the web. Check out David at D&T.

Also, Think about converting a Handi Rifle to the 50-110 Win. for a buffalo rifle. I think it would work well. (Ed knows about this cartridge too.)

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a BIG hole

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso, The bullet really ripped the cows heart apart too.
People interested in a big bore single shot project should look at your excellent 550 Express.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are these bullets loaded?

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, I'll add that the meplat ( wide flat nose.) is 72% of bullet diameter. If I was going to get another mold made it would be a 68% meplat. The wide flat meplat results in straight, deep penetration.
The hardness of the bullet is 22BHN. performs like a factory solid. See you Tube video "Brian Hunts Cape Buffalo"

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Where to order a mold?

BTW Great video and hunt ;-)

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, Thank you for your kind comment.
I use hochmoulds.com They are high quality nose pour moulds. I have tried a couple of others, but I don't have much experience.
There is a very good website called Cast Boolits. It's probably the best casting site on the web.
Mixing your alloy is fun and guys on Cast Boolits will help. There are some good people on there.
Also, Ed at hubel458 will have some suggestions.

What caliber are you thinking of casting?

I'll bet there are some nice contacts in Europe for moulds and equipment. Good luck, it's a great project.

On about page 10 or 11 of the Africa Hunting section of this AR site there is a story of the Cape buffalo hunt with the 577 single shot and cast bullets. It's called 'Cape buffalo cow hunting story', I think.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brian:

Thank you for info. I am going into .585 Hubel Express. I also believe that I will find local company with CNC lathes for making solid brass bullets. Or precisely lot of CNCs here, but companies are really busy now.

My first idea was to order barrel blank, chamber reamer etc., take it to my country and let the rifle build here. But I didn't find any gunsmith "happy to build" my rifle here. Also tried one in Germany and he said: "I don't have an equipment for artillery" Big Grin

I ordered the stuff to my friend in Oregon and visited him few weeks ago. Friends there recommended me gunmaker Wayne York from Pendleton. So after all I decided to build rifle there.

More picturese here:
http://www.585he.cz/

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, You are on top of your project. I see that it makes sense to get the job done in the USA.
You rifle action sure looks impressive. It will be a great rifle.
The cartridge is awesome. Also, I am a fan of Cutting Edge Bullets. The middle dummy cartridge looks like it has a CEB bullet.
I would like to see picture of your rifle. Please send to brian@fastcutcnc.com. I will appreciate it very much.

Brian Gallup

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada

It will take several months or a year maybe to build the rifle. BTW I will visit Oregon next summer, that I said also to gunmaker. There is no hurry for that.

Yes, it makes sense to build in USA, but it will need someone with FFL export license, I will have to do import papers here, pay export/import fees, value added tax and that all I don't like. So the first idea was to build it in my country for that reason.

BTW all progress I will upload to that simple webpage.

Yes, the bullet is 750gr CEB and 750gr Woodleigh.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, It takes a long time to get a custom build complete. I have two small projects on the go now. Takes a lot of patience.
I have used CEB Solids in 375 HH on Cape buffalo. Long, straight penetration.

Do you know the background of the research and development of the #13 CEB solid done by B&M cartridges and Rifles with CEB? Interesting story.

Please keep in touch.

Brian

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Brian:

The only problem with CEB Solid is that its nose is so wide and long, that it can't be crimped by seating/crimping die (it is wider than seating plug thread inside die - plug removed). So I will order separate crimping die or better I will lathe turn my self collet crimp die. I will not make collet, I will use this one or similar: https://www.hoffmann-group.com...et-ER-25/p/308941-16 . I will just make die body and inside cone.

I will search for CEB development, it is interesting.

I hunt here with 375 H&H, use 300 gr A-Frames.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not know that. Interesting.

I also used the 300 gr A-frame. Sure works well.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Thanks Ed, I'll add that the meplat ( wide flat nose.) is 72% of bullet diameter. If I was going to get another mold made it would be a 68% meplat. The wide flat meplat results in straight, deep penetration.
The hardness of the bullet is 22BHN. performs like a factory solid. See you Tube video "Brian Hunts Cape Buffalo"

You can literally see the bullet just before impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGj57ClaBrM

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Ed, Rob, peanut galley... How about machining off the rim of the BMG case and adding on a rim, belt and extractor groove? Like the 12gfh but screwing on a belted base instead of a rim? You could make the case head in front of the belt be smaller than the BMG case or make the belt and rim larger and leave the base as is. The latter way you can make a bolt action 12 GFG but would need a DD exception obviously to make it a sporting round. BBMG. Belted browning machine Gun.
Not sure, but would adding a belt get you out of the 50 BMG ban? Could be the same specs and performance otherwise.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Ed:

Do I need a trimmer for .585 HE, or fine file is just enough? Is there actually any case trimmer for such a big case?

When full length resizing, it is closing a case a little. Is it common or I am doing something wrong? Expander will remove it of course, but isn't that bad for case life?

Trim cases after sizing to 3.27"?

Thank you for advice. BTW I ordered Peregrine Bushmaster bullets from SA.

Jiri

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
How long of a barrel, Ed? Which case?

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Ed:

Is there actually any case trimmer for such a big case?

\Jiri

There is a really good one
https://www.harborfreight.com/...t-off-saw-62136.html

you make a "tail stock" by taking a metal piece of angle (zinc, alum, steel.. mine is ebony) and attaching under the left side, with a screw to set depth ... think a big L and an adjustment screw --- i need to take a pic of mine

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Jeffeosso,
People interested in a big bore single shot project should look at your excellent 550 Express.

I think you may have meant the 550 Flanged -- It's meant to match the 577Ne --

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Ah, but who actually had reamers made, dies made, and built the first rifle in 550 Gibbs, and brought it to the inaugural Hoot-n-Shoot in February of 2008?

Well, i just saw this...

Who made the first reamer, gauges, and etc? Neal Shirley -- and then a slightly different (that would fit in the chamber) design was called into a reamer maker, by someone else, after acquiring a barrel from me --

I am getting a bit older and less tolerant of intellectual property appropriation --

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think 21", and it was my 585 HE, in

a Stiller/Lawton action, and there is 4 built on them now,

I know of, and about 60 guns total built on 585 HE..Ed

he lost about 200 fps in 11 inch shorter barrel? iirc, you have stated 3,000fps in a 30" barrel ... 9fps per inch, that works out to

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
With my old first 30" test barrel, 30".

I got .... 2800 with a 750 grain..

...we had done, they are super smooth and we get 750gr to 2900 in 27 inch one now. He got about 2800 in short barrel,
So we figure about 17 fps difference per inch cut off,

With 750gr at 2900 that is 14,000 ft lbs.Ed

Ed,
I don't get your math - you got 2800 in a 30" barrel, he got 2800" in a short barrel -that's zero difference

- in your superduper slick barrel, at unstated length, you got 2900 -- but we don't know if he's using the same super duper barrel ...

i expect, like every other big bore, the loss per inch is pretty small ... again, we aren't talking 270 over bore cases here ... i would be surprised if the same super duper barrel, cut down to 21 from [unknown] lost 10fps .. would expect FIVE or less....

just like every other underbore cart

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Is there a reason you are deleting your posts?

sigh - i just don't understand -- couple questions on details and this?

#dumptrump

476AR,