New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Ga From Hell -WOW Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
STW-Fan- Yup a little improved for more case capacity but basically just that. It would launch a 1000gr bullet at just over 3000fps no sweat.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
STW-Fan- Yup a little improved for more case capacity but basically just that. It would launch a 1000gr bullet at just over 3000fps no sweat.-Rob

You are FREAKIN' NUTS!!!!!!!!!! hammering
A quick check with Norma ballistics comes up with 20027 ft-lbs. at 3003 f.p.s. Wow!!! cheers
I can't wait to see what's next!!! clap

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob or Hubel you guys have to take a video when you hunt with those canons. The hitting power must be only believed if seen, hence the video.
Thank you in advance!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Thats why they call them STOPPERS. 15K - 20K of muzzel energy is easily achievable.
There was a guy in Alaska who also built a .700 on a .50BMG case. He sent me a chamber drawing and my version has a tad more powder capacity due to less case taper. The shoulders were different too. I've heard Dennis Olsen has his own version too. Probably not interchangable but similar ballistics. The .700's are much easier to build, but may not be legal in all states. Ed's .700 is ATF registered so no issue. Here in LV no issue either. However ,the 12 Ga is legal everywhere and you can shoot those 4000fps 3/4 oz sabots too.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3/4 sabot or 328 grains @ 4008 f.p.s. :
Zeroed for 250 yards. 450 yards -15.2 inches low. Max. height is 1.5 inches @ 160 yards.

Energy: Muzzel 11701 ft. lbs. @ 450 yards 4253 ft. lbs.
All of this is going on a .290 B.C. ( my assumption)
I think that is one hell of a varmint gun as well!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
*going to get the calipers and my 10 gauge H&R*

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boys will be boys. Big boys, big toys. animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, you need one of these 12 ga. shotguns with the twisty stuff inside the barrel. Then get you a swaging set and some surplus 20 mm projectiles to make up a fine batch of long range bullets so that thee deer across the border in Indiana would not be safe when the gun is on the picnic table in your back yard.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,
I am afraid I might sink a tug or barge on the Ohio River if I tried that kind of stunt. Then where would I be?

Besides, you know any caliber that starts with a digit bigger than 5 is just plain silly for anyone!

Being a Professional Small Boy that knows his limitations, I stop at .510. mgun

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hubel458
If you can part with 4 full length fireformed cases I would take them. E-mail and let me know how much and where to send money. Could also use a couple of bullets.
Robgunbuilder
If you could send dimensions and directions for making brass I would appreciate it.

Thanks Richard
ttandt@charter.net

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are having WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!! clap

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hubel458:
Tailgunner came down today and fired off a few,
and did it easy.He is smaller guy like Rob.
His comment, wow and where are the earplugs.
I got to fireform another whole bunch, as
first bunch been grabbed up.Ed.

Could he hear you answer to the question? jumping

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tigger-He is already half deaf like me.
But he handles recoil like a pro. Ed.

Given the choice that's the way I'd take it. I'm deaf and a flincher too. Working on the latter, though. If I can get my neck straight I might try this.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, huh what did you say?
After the first 2 rounds, earplugs didn't matter anymore. Eeker
Recoil was plesantly mild (considering), Ed does a nice job on rifle setup. clap
If anything, the 3/4oz sabot loads had a little more "slap" to them than the 730gr lead bullets did. This is probably due to the increased velocity with the lighter bullet.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Holy crap. I guess I never took the time to really read the 12GFH saga. This appears to be a pretty simple deal. I know of an H&R fully rifled 12 ga I could pick up real cheap. These have heavy barrels, but would need a bunch of weight in the stock for anything like balance and heft for this kind of cartridge. Would this be a valid platform for building one? Is the factory barrel long enough @ 24"? It has a 3" chamber already, but that could be reamed out to 3.5, as Ed says.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rob-I have to get more primers.Are the Hirtenberger ones a little softer and do they work good?I heard target guys like them.
For folks here, are picture of our case,
next to regular 12ga round.Ed

The pic link is not showing?!? Frowner

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woodsracer--pic works here ok--Any other
guys can't get it let me know..

Must be my 'puter!!! killpc My geek brother will be here Sat. for my pop's birthday. I'll let him see what's going on. Roll Eyes

This is such a cool thread, I HATE missing the pics!!! You fellas are cutting edge!!! thumb

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed
I also get a "red x", on 2 different computers/systems. I tried doing a direct connect and got sent to a "holding" page???

3 different 12ga FH loads

12ga FH next to a 2 3/4" 12ga shell (2 700HE cases undergiong their forming in the middle)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:

WOW!!! jumping What is the round on the extreme left? bewildered

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsracer:

WOW!!! jumping What is the round on the extreme left? bewildered

#1 408 Chey-Tac
#2 500 Nitro
#3 700 HE Belt started, body not yet swedged
#4 700 HE After fireforming, still needs final anneal and taper expand.
#5 12gaFH W/Bridger banded bullet
#6 2 3/4 Federal w/ 3/4oz Barnes sabot

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
quote:
captain- can you get me info on breech and muzzle od, and I can figure the loads
you could set up with our brass, either
with cases cut back to 3 in or chamber reamed out to use brass full length.Ed.

Made a quick call to NEF. The bbl is a straight pipe of 0.893" OD (this seems smaller than I recall, but maybe my memory is off. I thought it was just over 1" diam). Length is 24" with a 1:35" twist. Factory chamber is 3"

Ultra Slug Hunter

I really like the looks of the round loaded with the Bridger banded bullet!

One other question on making cases: are you using solder/loctite of some kind in the threads for the rims?

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
#1 408 Chey-Tac

WOAH, I have two 408s in my collection, so now I get an even better idea "just how big" these 12gaFH rounds are!!!!! Eeker yankees Wink thumb

BTW, what does "FH" stand for? bewildered Jest Kureous. Wink

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

"From Hell" (See thread title.)

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
#1 408 Chey-Tac

WOAH, I have two 408s in my collection, so now I get an even better idea "just how big" these 12gaFH rounds are!!!!! Eeker yankees Wink thumb

Another scale referance for you, the "700 Hubel Express" and the "12ga From Hell" both start off as 50BMG brass that's had the neck/shoulder streightened out.

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

"From Hell" (See thread title.)

OK, now I feel REALLY DUMB!!! lol

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
Mr. Ed Hubel, will you PLEASE consider starting your OWN WEBSITE showing your exploits!!! I noticed on THIS THREAD on Greybeard Outdoors that you are even playing with 4 and 2 bores. I think MANY FELLAS would love to see you have a website similar to Dave Estergaard's .470 Mbogo.

I know that you noted on the other thread that you noted:
quote:
Don't have a website for that..They aren't inventions,
as much as just getting things already out there
to work for big bore nuts.At a decent price.To
get out the info about what we do, we post on here,
HA, AR, NX, etc, which will let you and others keep up on our progress.

But I STILL think folks would love to see "how you do it." Maybe Robgunbuilder and Tailgunner could give you additional pics and help with the site!!! jumping

BTW, may I ask, how does the recoil of either the 700 Hubel Express or the 12gaFH compare to a .577 double rifle? Or have you ever shot a .577 double? Cool

I'm also DYING to see you make a nylon shot cup and see how many 00 or 000 buckshot you can fit in one of those 12gaFH rounds, and targets showing the distruction. Of course, it would have to be at close range since you have a RIFLED barrel. Wink It'd still be "cool." Big Grin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Woodsracer..We will test some buckshot loads
in a few weeks Cool, thanks! -Recoil of 12GA FH in
25 lbgun for 730 gr
at 2700 is about 1.5 times that of a 577 12 lb
double,The 700He with 1000grs at 3000 fps,
30 lb gun would be about 3 times. Holy CRAP!!! I would love to have a .577 or bigger. You must have Ti balls and a Ti brain!!! Guess I'll stick to the Pee-Wee guns like the .577 or back down to the .470!!! Wink

Ok about website.. We have our tv promotion site now that we have kept up for 8 years I've never seen it. , and we are getting it moved this week to another host that is set up for our ftp programming to
work and maintain site.IE we can do it
from our dialup instead of having ISP do it,and they are 25 miles away, real inconvenient.My boy does two of our other sites for our ebay business What is your Ebay business? and in about 3 months we plan on putting info about my cartridges and experimenting on my site I can't wait!!! , as it will be easier to do, as we do it ourselves.....Ed

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
One thing I've learned is make the rims out of steel not brass. The brass ones distort when seating the primers. I'm shooting my 12 GAFH THIS WEEKEND AND WILL HAVE SOME REPORTS BACK ON MONDAY.-ROB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised no one has asked about running a 12 ga FH reamer down the chambers of a 12 ga SxS shotgun.

Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I never thought I would see something that made my 4 Bore muzzle loader look small.
You guys are nuts! And I mean that in the nicest possible way!
One day I am going to have to get a closer look at one of these babies.
'Till then, have fun!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
Well, I never thought I would see something that made my 4 Bore muzzle loader look small.
You guys are nuts! And I mean that in the nicest possible way!
One day I am going to have to get a closer look at one of these babies.
'Till then, have fun!

Cheers, Dave.

We need some VIDEOS to disprove that the .577 Tyrannosaur is THE "flying gun." jumping

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
When spring gets here we will make a video.
Ed.

WOW, the video camera needs a SPRING!!! clap That REALLY is SOME KINDA GUN!!! lol thumb

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Well I just got back from a nice Range session with the 12Ga FH. I was having great fun with a load of 300 grs of Rl-25 and a 750gr Bridger solid. It runs about 2450fps and recoil is really pretty mild. Accuracy at 50 yrds offhand ( 25lb rifle) was 2 inches . Very impressive fireball and the report is like a cannon going off. Sure got lots of attention! After firing I would open the block, hold the gun up and watch the cases just drop out! Shot about 10 rounds this way! I then mostly worked out fireforming loads. I found that a annealed .50BMG case filled with 35 grs of Bulleseye and then packed with oat meal and a soap plug will blow a case out to final dimensions perfectly.
I also found that the brass 12 GaFH rims are just too weak to prime with .50BMG primers. They distort too easily particularily when you arm the primer. I solved the problem by chucking a .50BMG case in the lathe and drilling it out 37/64 and then tapping 5/8X24. I then parted the threaded .50BMG rim off and screwed it onto the 5/8X24 threaded 12 ga FH cases. You can now use a standard .50BMG shellholder to deprime, prime, seat etc. All you then do is unscrew the .50BMG rim and screw-on the 12 Ga FH rim and shoot. Neat solution if I say so myself.
Ed- Nice job on the reamer! I took the easy way out and had one made. Now for the reloading dies, I just used a boring Bar with a taper attachment on my DRO equipped lathe to make the sizing and loading dies. They worked out just fine. I really considered just making the chamber on my barrel with a boring bar as its so darn simple, but finally deceided to have a reamer made. I also think you could make a half reamer for this thing easily enough. On a 12 Bore barrel your removing so little metal the whole job only takes 1/2 hr with coolant feed up the muzzel to remove chips quickly. My chamber turned out just like a mirror and I was upset that I had to 400 grit it.
This project has really turned out to be a winner.-Rob

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Rob, nice thinking on how to reprime your cases cheers. Proves that there is more than one way to skin a cat err prime a case.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Caution- CCI No. 35 primers must be individually inspected for cracks before using. To date there have been three confirmed reports of damaged firearms due to cracked primers burning through on .50BMG's. I would not use a CCI primer period! The best are RWS, but they are very hard to find.
Ed- I have a primer pocket reamer and depth tool that I use on all my cases. It's handmade, but has worked on thousands of cases.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ed- If you find some RWS primers let me know.-Rob

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let's see it SCOPED! Wink

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Ed- what are the barrel thead dimensions for the savage?-Rob

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Woodsracer- I will have regular front sight and a rear peep sight on in next few weeks.For
everyones information here is pic of Savage 3
lug bolt next to Enfield bolt from my 458HE.
You can see the size, and that is why I like
it and why it would work for NE cases and other big stuff.Ed.

The only comment that I would like to point out is in the pic, it doesn't seem to have much LUG BEARING AREA?!?!? Eeker Maybe I've missed something, but it looks as though if you really push it the lugs could shear off and implant the bolt into your cheekbone?!? Frowner Any additional comments to clear up my foggy thinking??? bewildered

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"