THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .475 Linebaugh Rifle: Mighty Mite

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.475 Linebaugh Rifle: Mighty Mite Login/Join

one of us
posted
I swapped for a new piece.
The Ruger No.1-S .475 Linebaugh.
I have measured the throat and found adequate throat for Longcol loading.
This is the mini-me on steroids to the .458 Win.Mag. Longcol:

A 2.1" case length is totally unnecessary:

I don't quite feel right calling something a "rifle" that only has a 20"-long barrel,
but so be it.

Jeff Quinn got over 2000 fps with 400-grain Belt Mountain Punch bullet and H110, my favorite handgun powder. tu2
That bullet was purpose built for Longcol Loading. tu2

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-No1-475L.htm

Jeff Quinn's Mighty Mite:

I have a mould for .476"/525-grain gas-checked bullet meant for the 470 NE.
I am going to powder coat those and give them a whirl in the Mighty Mite.
Should be fun!

All I need now is some .475 Linebaugh brass and dies.
tu2
Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey! I am going to resemble this:

tu2
Rip

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
What a cool rifle. I love it! Would be a terrific walk in' around rifle.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ruger has brought out a 450 marlin NO.1 with a 20 inch barrel a better choice I would think.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is perfect rifle! what a hoot for sneaking close on cape buffalo.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So now we are going to sit through another 30 pages of how loading this cartridge Long COL and its going to catch the 458 Win sofa ????????

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
So now we are going to sit through another 30 pages of how loading this cartridge Long COL and its going to catch the 458 Win sofa ????????

Be careful; you might get what you ask for..... horse

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Well the 450 Marlin in the Ruger #1 would be a fine walkin' around rifle as well. But then again I have a fine walkin' around rifle, a Whitworth 458 loaded long with a 485 Cast bullet!!
How's that for a perfect Segue RIP?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jwp475, Fury01, Brian Canada:

Thank you, thank you very very much, buy a donkey, buy a buy a donkey, y'all.

p dog shooter:

A .450 Marlin Ruger No.1?
Instead of a standard .45-70 Govt. with a rim and that can be loaded to do anything a funny-belted .450 Marlin can do?
No thanks.
A .450 Marlin Ruger No.1 is like the proverbial tits on a boar hog. I shudder to think of it.

Alf and Dulltool17:

Don't worry, I am married to the .458 Win.Mag. Longcol.
The .475 Linebaugh Longcol is just a little bit of "steppin' out."
I have no intention of turning this into 30 pages of ad nauseum, but who knows, maybe ...
tu2
Rip
Godfather of Guntoberfest
Founding Member of The.458 Win.Mag. Longcol Aficianados Fraternity

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A .450 Marlin Ruger No.1 is like the proverbial tits on a boar hog. I shudder to think of it.

Well it is what it is.

I sure it goes bang pushes decent bullets at the proper velocities and kills things very well.

Way more useful the teats on a boar for sure.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm
Stamp a 7 in there between the 4 and 5 to get 475-70?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY cool tool...You get a wildcatter to drooling...!!! tu2

OMG...why the HE** do people trot out the 45-70 almost ANYTIME large bore hoohaws get started. It IS a fine OLD and useful cartridge, BUT that HUGE rim just gets in the way when you want to wildcat anything but a single shot, per se...even though there are a bunch of lever guns in 45-70 floating about...I have/had three 45 cal lever guns, one I converted to 458 American and it feed like greased owl sh**, one is a Browning BLR 450 Marlin and the other is a switch barrel.

AND why do people diss the 450 Marlin...it will do EVERYTHING a 45-70 will do PLUS feed much better in ANY action...and SMLE conversions are a snap when using a belted case over that godawful HUGE 45-70 rim, especially when trying to convert clip mags...YEAH, I have one of those also...6 rounds down and one up...I DON'T want to even think what a mess that would be if Browning had tried to use a 45-70 case in those 3 shot clips.

YES, I LIKE MY 45-70, ACTUALLY CONVERTED TO 45-120, but it works MUCH better with a belted, or nowadays, a SMOOTH non-belted fatty cased 45 cal in other than SS receivers...and that HUGE rim would work just as well if it were turned down to case base diameter and given a nice groove to hook into...and Yes, I've tried that with successful outcomes. My Marlin 336 switch barrel conversion feeds smoother when using a rimless 308 case in the 356 Win barrel, the 444 always feed great with it's very small semi rimmed case and the OEM 45-70 barrel re-chambered to 458 American hasn't hung up once since I quit with the 45-70 case.

This is the 21st century...we need to enjoy the nostalgia but also understand that there are MODERN iterations that are just as, or more than, useful and get on with it.

Hummmm...I wonder how well that 475-70 would do in an AR 223 configuration...lower the pressure somewhat...get rid of that rim...headspace on the case mouth...call it the 475/284...or 475/450 bushmaster... Big Grin Roll Eyes Eeker

LUCK tu2 beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a .450 Marlin once, when they first came out in the Marlin Model 1895 lever action.
It was disappointing.
Being a handloader, I could beat the factory .450 Marlin ammo specs in the .45-70,
whether in the Marlin 1895, or Ruger No.1, and especially in the Ruger No.1.
I still have one each of those and want not for another .450 Marlin.
The Ruger No.1 will tolerate loads that will loosen every screw in a Marlin 1895 within 3 shots.
Yup, I won't do that again.
homer

That first and last .450 Marlin of mine I traded in on a Plain Jane Winchester M70 .416 Rem.Mag.
that was languishing in the rack at Mountainview Sporting Goods, in Anchorage, Alaska.
That was the only good thing about leaving Alaska.
Getting to leave a .450 Marlin behind,
for the next sucker cheechako .
tu2
Rip
Godfather of Guntoberfest
Founding Member of The.458 Win.Mag. Longcol Aficianados Fraternity

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I see a custom mold in your future Mr. Rip.
Making bullet molds to match specific throats and performance is all boar and no tits. (Personally I like tits though Big Grin)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

I did this bassackwards.
I bought the mould first, then found the rifle to fit it.
Accurate Molds' "470 NE" bullet:

Supposed to weigh about 530-grains when cast in WW, gas-checked.
I plan on using my "Rippalloy" version of Lyman#2 or Linotype, since it makes such pretty bullets.
My casting should weigh somewhere between 500 and 530 grains. tu2

I ought to be able to seat the gas check and one full diameter driving band into the case,
no/minimal crimp needed in a Ruger No.1,
leave the rest "hanging out" above the case mouth.
Powder coated, Harbor Freight Red, or Matte Black?
dancing

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=17

I have the .476" bullet-sizing die (Lee) and the Hornady gas checks.

Of course the 480 Ruger can be fired in the .475 Linebaugh, like a 38 special in a .357 Magnum.

And, the above bullet might be tried in a 470 Nitro Express double rifle,
after I try it in a 470 Mbogo bolt action with 1:16" twist.
Get it up to 2000 fps in the 470 Mbogo, same case capacity as 470 NE,
then take that powder charge and bullet directly to the 470 NE case and see how it shoots.

No, not quite 2000 fps with the .475 Linebaugh Longcol,
with only a 1"-long column of powder (more or less) pushing a 1.17"-long, 500-grain bullet.
holycow
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
475 Linebaugh Longcol

I vote the powder coated bullet gives you the chance to call her "Black Death"

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
quote:
475 Linebaugh Longcol

I vote the powder coated bullet gives you the chance to call her "Black Death"

I'll do that. tu2

I have been wanting to try that Harbor Freight matte black.
They have bright&shiney red, matte black, and bright yellow on the shelf at the local store:

Black Death
Red Death
and
Yellow Fever.

We know Red Death works, just like in that old Vincent Price scarey movie. tu2
Black Death looked at me like I owed money to Harbor Freight. tu2
I do not think I will come down with Yellow Fever though, no mosquitos in the store.

I did get the last 2 boxes of .475 Linebaugh brass by Hornady at Grafs.
They might have some Starline left.
Midway was sold out of Hornady brass, the only one they offerred, "Limited Production."

I was planning to use a hacksaw and a bastard file to make some out of .45-70 Govt. brass,
no need now.
Happily, brass is on the way from Grafs.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do agree that the 450 Marlin in a Lever gun is an oxymoron and a contradiction in terms...EXCEPT in my BLR which can be loaded to much higher pressures and I haven't been able to see much difference when loading the 450 M to the same pressures as my any of the other lower pressure rifles... and comparing equal barrel lengths, bullet weights, etc...of course I can get more velo out of my 458 Mag because of a couple more inches of barrel AND larger volume case....and higher velos in the 450 M....but due to the case volume the pressures are right on the ragged edge between burn rates. Even in the Marlin or Win lever guns it did every bit at good as the 45-70 and I think the 450 M just fed better...except for the small glitch of the round falling off and out of the loading port if you had the lever gun rolled on its right side and weren't watching.

But comparing my 450 M,(~75 gr) 458 American(74-76 gr) and 45-70(79-81 gr) cases...which are almost equal in volume... with the SAME bullet weight and almost the same powder weight...as far as hunting goes and NOT splitting hairs...the all perform samo-samo. The 45-70 and one 458 A are on receivers rated at ~45 KPSI, one 458 A is a lever gun rated at ~35 KPSI and the BLR 450 marlin is rated the same as a belted Mag...BUT when they are compared...AND...I'VE DONE THIS, on several occasions with jacketed and cast bullet from 300-720 gr....powder to powder, bullet to bullet, barrel length to barrel length, case volume to case volume and pressure to pressure and WITHOUT getting all nit-picky and stuff...they're samo-samo...with the exception that I could get very close to top end and exceed low end 458 Mag velos with all but the heaviest bullet weights with the BLR...

But.. I can ALSO get MUCH higher velos than published numbers by knowing what-the-hell-and-why due to the almost 20 gr larger volume of the mag brass...most of you/us know that already. You want to split hairs...YES the 45-70 has a higher case volume bu about 6% and theoretically you should get about 1 1/2 % more velo, but if you've done this thing for any length of time you should know just just how much of a muchness that is.

If you don't like the 450 M and it didn't work out the way you wanted, Hey, that's alright, move it along down the road...we ALL don't like some things, but all the early comparisons of the 450 M to the 45-70 were just BS hair splitting and comparing apples with your neighbors cow. All that mindless need to destroy mentality and totally humongous pile of BS killed an excellent cartridge...I'm glad I procured a large supply of 450 M brass and don't have just ONE rifle to depend on...AND I opted for the BLR instead, although I wish I had bought the SS 450 Marlin with the "V" threaded barrel...it would have turned into a 450 Yukon aka 450 WSM in a New York second...now THERE'S a cannon to be proud of.

The very BAD fact is we, the shooters/reloaders/buyers of guns are destroying our sport because we are just so mindless of what the bickering is doing by giving all the bullets to the anti's and dumping our guns into the fire.

I looked at the 475 B&M a while back...I don't have a 475 cal and was casting about for something in that caliber to build. Basically got talked out of it by the folks at B&M in favor of the 458 version, plus the fact that it being a proprietary cartridge I couldn't get a reamer, none of the barrel makers had one and the only way to get one was by basically going the very high dollar route of having everything including dies done by B&M and I'm WAY too cheap to do that. The 450 marlin is still in the back of my mind to do on a AR 308 receiver...I already have everything except the barrel and reamers can be rented, and I've already researched it...basically the "cheap", barrel drop in way to go. Big Grin Roll Eyes lol

Anyway Enjoy your 475-70...you should name it the 475 RIPPER, RIPPER RAPPER WHACKER or something like that. tu2

LUCK beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
NONAGONAGIN,

The .475-70 Govt. is a joke. Big Grin
This is not: Cool

I reckon the "advertised" 1300 fps with 400-grain XTP is supposed to be for a 7.5" handgun barrel.
We'll see what an extra 12.5" of barrel adds to that.
Jeff Quinn says he gets close to 200 fps extra velocity with the longer (20") barrel and lack of cylinder gap in the rifle.

And way more with Longcol loaded 400-grainer,
with 40 grains of H110 and the 400-grain Belt Mountain "Punch" bullet: 2000 fps

I am calling this girl "Candy" for the "candystripe" grain pattern running the length of the wood:

tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A long OAL linebaugh is pretty much a 475-70 Big Grin
Remember the 45-70 mostly came as the 45-70-405 or the 45-70-500 or long OAL. You have gone full retro RIP

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the .475 flavor, .475/50-70 Musket would be more retro wouldn't it?
Post Civil War arms race:
1866: .50-70 Musket (.50 Govt.) by US
1871: .577/450 Martini-Henry by UK
1873: .45-70 Govt. by US
1886: 8x50Rmm Lebel by France. Finally smokeless! Thanks to the Frogs. tu2

Gotta see what Candy can do in .475 Linebaugh.
Will see if I can use her for gong shooting out to 600 yards.
Yep, SlugHunter!
Looks like that scope works on a Ruger No.1 just fine:

20" barrel, 0.675" muzzle diameter, holycow mighty-mite slim!
Only 0.100" barrel wall thickness in the grooves at muzzle.
Better keep her down to only 50,000 PSI. Cool
Weight:
6#13oz bare/empty.
8#4oz with SlugHunter scope and Warne rings.
8#11oz with LOP-correction device, ammo carrier, scope, and rings.
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,
How ignorant of me.
COTW (FWIW) says the .475 JDJ is simply the .45-70 Govt. necked up:
Case length 2.10"
Neck diameter 0.497"
Base diameter 0.502"
Rim diameter 0.604"
Rim thickness 0.065"
My .475/.45-70 Govt. idea is no Star Trekker.
J.D. Jones has gone there before, maybe as early as 1978?
Ross Seyfried announced the .475 Linebaugh in a 1988 G&A story.
.475 Jurras: Is supposedly based on the 500 NE case necked down and shortened to 1.75".
http://www.municion.org/Jurras/475Jurras.htm
That is an awful lot like a .475/50-70 Musket. rotflmo
Great article on Lee Jurras, the .44 Automag guy:
https://americanhandgunner.com/lee-jurras/
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Put that Ruger on a diet. It is waaaaaay to heavy. Hollow out the stock and trim up the fore end. Do they make a plastic fantastic Tupperware for that model? Put down that scope!!! Red dot sight!!!! Go full retardactical!!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
boom stick,
How ignorant of me.
COTW (FWIW) says the .475 JDJ is simply the .45-70 Govt. necked up:
Case length 2.10"
Neck diameter 0.497"
Base diameter 0.502"
Rim diameter 0.604"
Rim thickness 0.065"
My .475/.45-70 Govt. idea is no Star Trekker.
J.D. Jones has gone there before, maybe as early as 1978?
Ross Seyfried announced the .475 Linebaugh in a 1988 G&A story.
.475 Jurras: Is supposedly based on the 500 NE case necked down and shortened to 1.75".
http://www.municion.org/Jurras/475Jurras.htm
That is an awful lot like a .475/50-70 Musket. rotflmo
Great article on Lee Jurras, the .44 Automag guy:
https://americanhandgunner.com/lee-jurras/
tu2
Rip ...

I shot a grizzly and a moose in 1988 with the 475 Linebaugh in the fall of 1988. I cast my bullets with wheel weights and made my cases out of shirtened Winchester 45/79 cases. I used a LBT LFN mold from Veral Smith and Water quenched the bullets. My revolver was built by Hamilton Bowen on a Ruger Bisley.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I shot a grizzly and a Moses in 1988 with the 475 Linebaugh in the fall of 1988. I cast my bullets with wheel weights and made my cases out of shirtened Winchester 45/79 cases. I used a LBT LFN mold from Veral Smith and Water quenched the bullets. My revolver was built by Hamilton Bowen on a Ruger Bisley.

jwp475,
So, "a Moses" is a colloquial term for "a moose"
or you were celebrating that memory of your pioneering use of the .475 Linebaugh
before you typed that.
beer
Starting loads for the .475 JDJ might be maximum loads in the .475 Linebaugh Longcol Ruger No.1.
And that reminds me of the .475 Linebaugh Maximum with a 1.6" case.
Maximum loads for a .475 Linebaugh Maximum should be starting loads
for the .475 Linebaugh Longcol Ruger No.1.
tu2
I am thinking H110 or compressed H4198 with a 500-grain bullet.
H4198 is "real rifle powder," really fast burning, but might it be too slow here?

It seems all the loads I am finding for the .475 revolver and single-shot pistols stop at 440-grain bullet weight.
Use of 500-grain or greater cast bullet weight is the preliminary plan here.
Then see how close the Mighty Mite can come to 470 NE ballistics with 500-grain FN solids.
I know it will never come close to the .458 Win.Mag. Longcol, which far exceeds 470 NE ballistics.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I shot a grizzly and a Moses in 1988 with the 475 Linebaugh in the fall of 1988. I cast my bullets with wheel weights and made my cases out of shirtened Winchester 45/79 cases. I used a LBT LFN mold from Veral Smith and Water quenched the bullets. My revolver was built by Hamilton Bowen on a Ruger Bisley.

jwp475,
So, "a Moses" is a colloquial term for "a moose"
or you were celebrating that memory of your pioneering use of the .475 Linebaugh
before you typed that.
beer
Starting loads for the .475 JDJ might be maximum loads in the .475 Linebaugh Longcol Ruger No.1.
And that reminds me of the .475 Linebaugh Maximum with a 1.6" case.
Maximum loads for a .475 Linebaugh Maximum should be starting loads
for the .475 Linebaugh Longcol Ruger No.1.
tu2
I am thinking H110 or compressed H4198 with a 500-grain bullet.
H4198 is "real rifle powder," really fast burning, but might it be too slow here?

It seems all the loads I am finding for the .475 revolver and single-shot pistols stop at 440-grain bullet weight.
Use of 500-grain or greater cast bullet weight is the preliminary plan here.
Then see how close the Mighty Mite can come to 470 NE ballistics with 500-grain FN solids.
I know it will never come close to the .458 Win.Mag. Longcol, which far exceeds 470 NE ballistics.
tu2
Rip ...

Proof reading would save me the embarrassment of these typo/autocorrects

tu2

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cap says:
LINEBAUGH
CUSTOM SIXGUNS
CODY, WYOMING

He invented the .500 Linebaugh in 1986, based on .348 WCF brass.
Faced with planned discontinuation of that brass by W-W, in 1988,
he made up a dummy from shortened .45-70 Govt. brass.
So came the .475 Linebaugh.

Here is the Gun Digest Interview:

https://gundigest.com/reviews/...-with-john-linebaugh

Here is his web site:

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
jwp475:

Have you chronographed the Hornady factory ammo .475 Linebaugh/400-grain XTP in your handgun?
If so, what velocity did you get with what length of barrel?
Please do tell.

Hornady claims 1300 fps with 400-gr XTP on factory ammo box, and I assume this is with a 7.5" barrel.
Their reloading manual (10th Ed.) shows only a 325-grain XTP load for the .475 Linebaugh with a 7.5" barrel.
325-grainer maxes out
at 1550fps with 31.6 grains of LIL'GUN,
and 1500 fps with 31.8 grains of H110.
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what wildcatters do for a living...muck about where mortals fear to tread. There are so many cases out there, past and present that we can make something out of nothing and turn an also ran into a something no one wants to even hold into their hands much less pull the trigger...unless it's tied down to a bench or held in a lead sled. Big Grin Roll Eyes Frowner shocker lol

I'm constantly reminded I think differently, dance to a different drummer and don't belong the the choir, so wildcatting fits me to a tee.

Your excellent 475-70 iteration got my "catting" juices flowing again so I started casting about for something I don't already have or did in the past. My interest in the 475 cal has waned, I have several 45-70/120/458 A/450 Marlin so I looked for something else and stumbled across a T/C Encore 500 S&W barrel. I already have a 22" NEF stub barrel 50-90 and an 1874 Sharps Replica 34" "Quigley" but no .500 size. I thought about taking the NEF out to 50-140 but the increased velo/power didn't bode well for the additional recoil and futzing around with fillers. I found out fairly quickly I could get very similar velos in the Sharps at 28-29 KPSI with all bullet weight as I could in the 22" NEF at ~45 KPSI. They weigh in at 11 and 14 LBS so the recoil with 700 gr bullets isn't pleasant but tolerable and 300-400 gr slugs work well on close-up sageratz without too much discomfort.

Now...the 500 S&W isn't a wildcat...but I'm all for economy and it certainly ISN'T a wimp...depending on bullet weight, 4000+ available ft lbs certainly ISN'T wimpy...500-501 size bullets are readily available in weights suitable for this size plonker, so I broke out the debit card and started buying pieces and parts....and the "catter" in me has already started looking for a larger case that will be easily adapted the the T/C chamber...something between the ~65 gr 500 MAG and the 110-120 gr 50-90...and the T/C barrel won't be here for another week and a half.

Whadayathink...maybe a 2" 50-90 case with the rim turned down to .550" with extractor groove...cut down RUM case...something already done like the 50 B&M Long, Cyrus, or MDM...something in the 90-100 gr H2O range and maybe a rimless case would be very usable in a 20" barrel...TOO MANY CHOICES.

As always, no matter what the caliber or case size...WHAT you shoot it in and HOW you load it are the determining factors in whether it's a pip squeak or a T-Rex stomper. Big Grin

I have a nice Harrall's 4 port tactical brake looking at me...A dovetail cutter to install dovetails to hold the forearm on, ala NEF Buffalo spitting off the standard mount added weight forearm, and the barrel goes to Dennis Bellm to install his 7 screw picatinney scope rail first thing, along with the present 22-243 MIDD barrel to fit an oversize hing pin. I guess that constitutes some mild wildcatting. lol

Maybe by march I will have everything put together to try some loads... Cool Big Grin dancing

LUCK

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A fun thought... A 470 Capstick short? What? Yes. A 470 Capstick short. Cut 470 Capstick brass to 1.4", neck ream and stuff a 475 pistol bullet on the top. Like the 458 Devestator below.

http://www.singleactions.com/458Devastator.html

The 470 Capstick 1.4" (or other lengths) could clean up a 480 Ruger or Linebaugh chamber, use the same 475 barrel and on a Ruger single shot especially go higher pressure, say 60k psi? More boom, stronger brass and you probably have a bunch of used split neck brass just laying around. Maybe call it 480 Jolly Roger but 480 Roger for short. Just change the gun stamp from a u to an o on a 480 Ruger to make the 480 Roger. 480 JR!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nonag, if you are looking for a .500 barrel, drop me a PM. 23" 1.150 dia blank.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Back 40, but I have to decline that offer...I already have 4 - 50 cals and now a 500 S&W...I'm trying to wean off wildcatting/rifle making...I have more than I can shoot now...and at 75, I don't have much time left for mucking about with those hard recoiling cannons...

I blame RIP for stirring MY pot and in a moment of whiskey fume soaked, drug induced visions, I forgot myself... Mad Roll Eyes

Now...I have my NEF standing next to me, previous reloading data, bullet and cases rolling off my desk and new orders for MORE bullets AND bullet designs in/on Accurate Molds. Previous data indicates that the 475 gr, 0.511", Bear Tooth LFNGC gave the highest velo/energy in the NEF at less than 43 KPSI, close to or 100% load density and ~3.00" COAL with at least 4 powders...CFE233 giving the highest at ~2195 fs and ~5080 ft lbs. Not too bad for a century old "wimpy" cartridge...and the Cast Perf 525 LFNGC came in a close second. Now I have to try some Barns TSX/whatever to see if I can eke out a other few fs... lol

Now if I decided to long throat it about .300" and seat out to 3.25" COAL... shocker

LUCK

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
jwp475:

Have you chronographed the Hornady factory ammo .475 Linebaugh/400-grain XTP in your handgun?
If so, what velocity did you get with what length of barrel?
Please do tell.

Hornady claims 1300 fps with 400-gr XTP on factory ammo box, and I assume this is with a 7.5" barrel.
Their reloading manual (10th Ed.) shows only a 325-grain XTP load for the .475 Linebaugh with a 7.5" barrel.
325-grainer maxes out
at 1550fps with 31.6 grains of LIL'GUN,
and 1500 fps with 31.8 grains of H110.
tu2
Rip

I have not shot or chronographed the Hornady factory load 475 Ammo.

The Buffalo Bore factory load with 420 grain hardcast chronographed at 1400 fps on a warm summer day out of my 6” barreled revolver.

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
jwp475,
Too many jackalopes on this thread that can't stick to the apparently big-boring-to-them .475 Linebaugh.
They can have this thread. Wink
I will copy your PERTINENT comment to the ".475LinebaughLongCOL:ShootFireSaveMatches" thread (Chapter 2) and take it from there.
tu2
Rip ...