Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COAL question Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to measure the freebore in my new Miroku Winchester 1886 and discovered there is none. I made up a dummy round with a hard cast bullet and even with the coal under the recommended length it prints the rifling into the bullet by about .030”. Now my CZ .22 target rifle does the same and it’s very accurate, so should I be concerned about this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger no.3 has hardly any throat also.

Really limits powder capacity with long heavy bullets.

Seems to work ok.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had throat reamed on my ruger no 1 as it was too short for some factory rounds. Had them give me a little extra while they were at it Smiler

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Original 45-70 and other BP rounds have no throats; they use bullets with bore diameters in front of the case; thereby needing no freebore. They easily hold the 500 grain bulllets, but the front part must fit into the bore. In fact, some BP cartridges used bullets at bore diameter and it didn't matter how long they were; some were barely seated into the case, and some were muzzle loaded. The BP charge obturated them. Either use cast bullets made that way, or ream it out; Manson has the reamers for $50 or so.
As for doug; the answer is no.
And forget any OAL you read about; it means nothing. Your chamber, barrel, and ammo, is what matters.
Also, hard cast bullets is the wrong way to go; you need soft bullets; at normal 45-70 velocities you will get no leading; with hard cast you will. It is counterintuitive, but true. Now if you are going for high velocities, then that is different, but watch out for leading. Hard bullets can't seal the bore like soft ones do.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
This is normal manufacture on these. You can have it opened up if you like.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I’m going to leave it the way it is for now, and if I run into problems later, I can look into getting it reamed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thinking, never fix a non existant problem, it seldom works.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote