THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Best synthetic stock M70 Magnum
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best synthetic stock M70 Magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a M70 classic stainless in .375 with Tupperware stock that has had a decelerator installed. I don't care for the stock but it shoots OK and can spend money getting it bedded if necessary. The Winchester Tupperware is way better than the Remington Tupperware (stiffer)IMHO.

Looking at McMillan, HS precision and Carlson, McMillan is best but most expensive. Plus I would need one piece bottom metal ($$). HS precision has chassis as well as bell and Carlson. and can use one piece bottom metal.

Since I know Kelly McMillan I should buy his, but after stock, bottom metal and bedding I will be over a grand.

Since my Medical is tripling next year I have to cut back. Folgers not starbucks and no McMillan. Things really are bad. Unless I can get a deal on one Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have two M70s in HS stocks and I love them. One is a 270 and one a 338. if I stocked a 375 in a plastic stock I would use an HS without hesitation. I bed them in devcon and they shoot very well. The 270 at .5 and the 338 at .8. the 338 is pleasant, not a light gun, but easy to shoot and feels solid as a rock. I did have to tidy up the HS for the 270 but it didn't take much work. good luck.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
The Win M70 Extreme Weather SS comes from the factory with the B&C Medalist stock with the full length aluminum bedding block. Why not go with the B&C as it'll be far cheaper than the McMillan.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a Bell and Carlson on my Mod 70 416 and have had no problems with it. I have both Bell and Carlson Medalist and HS precision stocks on different rifles. They both are a little slippery at times and I miss the checkering for a good grip. I like the feel of the HS a little better but doubt you would ever know the difference because they are both very strong stocks.

I bedded both the stocks myself and they turned out very nice. I had to inlet the Bell for the barrel lug on the 416 so did a full length bed on it. I'm sure your 375 has the lug also. I did notice that now my cheek is raised a bit high to use the iron sights. You will be happy with either one and the aluminum bedding is reassuring.

My advice is get the Bell and save up the money for what you really want later. I have always wanted to keep improving my rifles with better upgrades and never seem to be satisfied.....they always seem to need that extra something. You will likely get another Mod 70 later and can drop it in the Bell. This is also great camouflage because the wife doesn't realize it is in fact a different rifle. Cool

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Tag. Wondering the same thing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:
Tag. Wondering the same thing!

Same +1

The Echols stocks are quite good too but are even more work I guess in prep and finish.

I really like the stock fit and weight on my Model 70 Laredo which is HS with the aluminum bedding block, and on my Extreme Weather too, although I don't care as much for the palm swell on the EW grip area, and less so on a magnum.

I have been thinking this same exact thing for my M70 416 Safari Express. I could just have it bedded at Hill Country Rifle in its dual cross bolt wood stock for $500 or so , or I can add the McMillan stock for another $500 or 600, then add the brake for bench shooting (not hunting), and then the Cerakote and before long I have a $2500 tab added to my rifle that probably needs nothing to hunt again in Africa. But I would be ready for anything past that.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess there are a lot of good stocks for the M70 but I am very happy with my Echols stock.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would but action length is different. I have a 270 and its a half an inch shorter. I need true "Magnum" length for the .375. Thay are on sale at Stockys wish they would fit
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
The Win M70 Extreme Weather SS comes from the factory with the B&C Medalist stock with the full length aluminum bedding block. Why not go with the B&C as it'll be far cheaper than the McMillan.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK so they do make a magnum length. Good to know. Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by Sid-:
I put a Bell and Carlson on my Mod 70 416 and have had no problems with it. I have both Bell and Carlson Medalist and HS precision stocks on different rifles. They both are a little slippery at times and I miss the checkering for a good grip. I like the feel of the HS a little better but doubt you would ever know the difference because they are both very strong stocks.

I bedded both the stocks myself and they turned out very nice. I had to inlet the Bell for the barrel lug on the 416 so did a full length bed on it. I'm sure your 375 has the lug also. I did notice that now my cheek is raised a bit high to use the iron sights. You will be happy with either one and the aluminum bedding is reassuring.

My advice is get the Bell and save up the money for what you really want later. I have always wanted to keep improving my rifles with better upgrades and never seem to be satisfied.....they always seem to need that extra something. You will likely get another Mod 70 later and can drop it in the Bell. This is also great camouflage because the wife doesn't realize it is in fact a different rifle. Cool

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I no longer have my M70 375, but as I recall the 30 06 action and the 375 action were the same length with the 375's port being opened up and block removed from the bottom metal. Is your 270 a WSM? I can see a different stock for the barrel channel, but not the hole spacing or action itself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new .270 and the ejection port and bolt throw are different sizes. In the old days there was magnum and long? In any case Winchester has made 3 different lengths now. The magnum one I have is about 1/2" longer. So I need one that fits the "magnum" action. Not the "long" action like .270. I need to call the companies I guess

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I would love to see pics of them side by side showing the difference if it's not too much trouble. I can post the pics for others to see as well. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I'll get some. I put a tape in the "hole" with bolt all the way back and measured. I could see the difference right off. Just looked at HS precision website and they only mention "long" action. Need to call and see what's going on.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If you at measuring the bolt throw that makes sense. The bolt stop will be different between the guns. Take both bolts out and lay tem side by side. Then measure the bottom metal screw spacing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its the actual opening. i'll take them apart and see if they fit with a swap

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK here's the deal: Classic .375 has a action that is 3 3/8", the .270 has 3 1/8". The rear "bridge" is the difference. The .375 is 1 3/8" long, where the .270's is 1 5/8" long. That's where the 2/8" comes from. So I contend that a "long" action stock will not fit correctly. Interesting......

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That's just te ejection port that's longer, not the actiual action. Measure the bottom screws, they should measure the same. Or, as you say, swap stocks. They should generally fit

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh I see. I will see if the ejection ports match up they have a bevel but ill swap it and see.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I stand corrected. The long action fit the m70 ,375 and there is no barrel lug on the classic stainless. The only problem is the barrel does not fit the channel in my HS precision not the bell and Carlson off my stainless 270. Plus there are beveled area to match the ejection port but I don't think that's a huge issue. Need to find out if I need to machine the chassis on either to make it fit. I do t think it will be too difficult

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Good. I was trying to walk you through this easily! As I thought, the barrel channel ( and front lug on the 375) should be the issues. On the HS stocks I have the ejection 'bevel' where the contour matches the action is 'close enough.' Now you can proceed with much more confidence when looking for a stock. Good luck and send pics when you get things sorted out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to open up the barrel channel on the B&C medalist for the thicker barrel. I used a wooden dowel a little larger than my barrel and wrapped sandpaper around it. it just takes a little time and patience but not hard to do at all.

A bit of warning about bedding around the recoil lug tho. If you look at the lug you will see that it is not welded completely snug to the barrel at the sides and corners. If you bed it without filling in these gaps you will lock the barrel into the stock. A simple solution is to press some soft lead into these gaps so the barrel will pop out when the bedding is dry. Others may have a more ideal material to use as a filler and maybe they can help out here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't done it Sid but I know my buds use that bedding tape that is 0.010 thick for these kinds of purposes to provide clearances. I haven't seen the compounds go through the tape.

Sounds like you have your going gunslinger. Good work.

Now what to do with mine? I guess I will sort it out.

For Africa the wood stock is mostly ok. It is the David Miller designed one, but it also will whack on your cheek. When the 416 whacks it smarts some. I know the McMillan stocked 375 I picked up to try at a show was much better than I thought it was going to be.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The McMillan stock and Duane Weibe bottom metal and box is the way to go. It will be a $1100 investment but would make an awesome combo. I haven't tried an Echols stock but am sure it is a nice one also. If you like wood....and who doesn't....I recommend you look at Accurate Innovations. They will likely hold up to a lifetime of use with a big bore because of the aluminum chassis. Michael McCurry has given them high praise and that's one hell of a compliment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with a McM on my 416 Rem M70. More than pleased.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
NIce rifle Boxead. Whose made the bases?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah that looks good. Which McMillan is that? I like the fact they have checkering as well

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember that rifle from before Box. I have even saved that picture before too. Smiler

What is the spec on that and the recoil pad too?

Great looking. Now you are trying to make me spend more . . . Wink

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid-:
The McMillan stock and Duane Weibe bottom metal and box is the way to go. It will be a $1100 investment but would make an awesome combo. I haven't tried an Echols stock but am sure it is a nice one also. If you like wood....and who doesn't....I recommend you look at Accurate Innovations. They will likely hold up to a lifetime of use with a big bore because of the aluminum chassis. Michael McCurry has given them high praise and that's one hell of a compliment.

Thanks Sid.

My Model 70 416 has the one piece bottom metal from Winchester. It probably isn't as tough as Duane's though.

This is one of those things that if I do part of it like changing the stock and bedding from it s dual cross bolt wood stock, then I probably should do it all - including the brake if I am ever going to add it for bench shots, the cerakote, and even though mine has the NECG ERA sights from Winchester too, I like the hi viz and express dep v that I saw on the HCR big bore.

Winchester did all they could to put together a quality rifle when they built my Safari Express.

Reworking big bores isn't an inexpensive propostion if you keep adding on "while you are in there" pieces. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK this brings up the next question. I have 2 piece bottom metal on my classic. Is it worth spending the money on one piece? Since mine is stainless I would need something that matches. I have seen aluminum and stainless, with stainless more money. I can get the HS and use two piece, or go McMillan and Bell and Carlson and go one piece. I guess if I was going one piece might as well go McMillan and be done with it.

What is the red recoil pad Boxhead?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Both of my HS stocks are for 2 piece. Would I rather have once-piece? Probably. The 2-piece takes more care in fitting to the stock so the floor plate will open and latch properly. My wood-stocked 06 is one-piece. But I don't lose sleep over it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's what I meant HS is 2 piece. Not a big deal but limits options. I have no problem with 2 piece but wanted pro's and cons of one piece. I have 3 (so far) with one piece and 2 with 2 piece. The 3 piece actually have 3 screws into action. But one piece more rigid I'm sure

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are those Weibe bases on your rifle Baxter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the D'Aecy Echols Legend stocks.

I have one on my 404 Jeffery that's built on a pre 64 Model 70 action.

I like the style of the stock and it also reduced the felt recoil.

As was said earlier. it is not a drop in.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are those Weibe bases on your rifle Baxter?

TEXKD: That's not my rifle, although I would take it in a heartbeat. That Boxhead's. i asked him about those bases too, nice. I do have a set that look similar on my 06 that Mark Stratton made for me, but I like Boxhead's...especially since the builder used the 1X spacing and extended the front base to the rear a bit.

Maybe Boxhead will chime in...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got turned around between reading and posting lol Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mod 70 Classic 375 H&H on one of D'Arcy Echoles Legend stocks (which my gunmaker slimmed the forend) and D'Arcy put threaded rod cross bolts, great stock. It has Duane's excellent bottom metal - mag box.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider the Pendelton stock built by Oregunsmithing. They are all hand built and appear to be a good value.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.c...omposite-Stocks.html

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock is the Winchester Express. The red Decelerator pad was spec'd when I ordered the stock. I ordered it with magnum fill. It does not need the barrel lug bedded. They cut it such that there is no contact as it is not required. It can be bedded and used, of course. The scope bases were made by Michael Scherz. Bottom metal is one piece Oberndorf from PT&G.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester express? Cool. PT&G metal seems like a good deal

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few of D'Arcy's stocks on his Legend rifles.

I also hunt with rifles in these stocks and they are IMO fantastic. As a hunting stock they can't be beat and I've had the opportunity to try most of the synthetic Model 70 offerings.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote