THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .395 S&H Ripper (.398 Lapua Mag.)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.395 S&H Ripper (.398 Lapua Mag.) Login/Join

one of us
posted
Four of the infinite seatings of this bullet to soon begin accuracy and velocity trials in the .398 Lapua Mag.: .395/325-grain S&H Ripper aka "SHarlow"

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been screwing around with these Golf Ball looking designs of late and forgot how pretty that bullet looks loaded, unloaded, boxed, etc. Very excited to see the results down range....

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot them this weekend, weather permitting.
Forward and backward, I'll see which way they are most accurate. Wink

It will be interesting to compare the drop at 100 yards and 300 Yards, and calculate a BC number, forward and backward.

Then the .395/310gr VeloSHark BC will be estimated, and the stated GSC BC's for the .395/340gr SP and HV compared, from my currently limited supply.

Both S&H 330-grain brass FN and GSC 340-grain copper FN need to be compared in the Iron Water Buffalo for penetration.

The "GSC Trio" and the "S&H Unholy Trinity" will go head to toe. thumb

The rifle for this one is a CZ with fairly heavy barrel, same as the Tatanka, stainless 26", 1:12" TWIST, about .705" muzzle diameter. Another shop mule, gee-ing and haw-haw-ing on the way to perfection. Scope could be 4-16X S&B P&M in 34mm tube with Badger rings, or a 1" tubed Leupold target scope of similar power in CZ, Warne, or Talley rings, or Leupold QRW ... I have two systems of scope bases for the picking.

The .398 Lapua Mag. was actually conceived before any other modern day .395, and was the instigator of .395 caliber rebirth ... going pretty slow at taking over the world. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love comparison tests!!!

Need to develop some sort of ultimate destructivity indicator test.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
... Need to develop some sort of ultimate destructivity indicator test.

bewildered Might that be percentage of one-shot kills?
No that would depend more on the hunter than the rifle.
.395 Tatanka Dakota and .398 Lapua Mag. CZ (Don't look Ethel!):

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is that? A whale hide duvet cover with original harpoon holes showing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the soft side of the Tatanka robe that I wear when it gets cold. It has some wear and tear on it. Maybe some coffee and bourbon stains too: www.buffalotrace.com

Beware the man with one gun, and also the nut with 100 guns and a bottle of Buffalo Trace.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There ya go taunting me with Exotic booze again!!

Dang It!!

Fortunately for me I have two bottle of Razeputz on the way from our Danish pal!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Its the extreme boat tail flat nose that has me in suspense... Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Its the extreme boat tail flat nose that has me in suspense... Big Grin

Yes, that one needs to be tested in the IWB penetration-meter too: Dart stablization from hell, shoulder stabilized, supercavitating superpenetrator... or will it flop? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Macifej's Green-Peace-Lesbian-Sea-Kayaker-PETA-friend with the Rolex watch on his wrist said as he fingered an S&H Ripper bullet:
"Poor animals." homer hillbilly

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.buffalotrace.com

Mmmmm. A common spirit to be found at my Pa's bison ranch. We're not usually bourbon drinkers per se, but how could one not enjoy a Buffalo Trace at a buffalo ranch???

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! I could use a shot or five of that suff to mask the after taste of the bucket of Sasquatch Jambalaya I just ate!! hillbilly

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
A good bourbon? Now that I'm all in favor of. (ooh the shame of it, prof ending a sentence with a preposition)
I'm also in favor of Rip's testing in the IWB. I've got my order in for .395 bullets at GSC. We'll finally have the "final" word on SHark bullets and GSC's.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,
The Buffalo Trace works great in your .395 Shot Glass. Tastes better than Wild Turkey too.
I think that should be the .395 Club adult beverage: Buffalo Trace.

I'll mail you a set of 400/.395NE dies if they ever get back from heat treatment. I cannot promise when the smith will have my rifle done and you can borrow the reamer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.395 Tatanka Dakota and .398 Lapua Mag. CZ,
Notice that I am using the Satterlee Technique in sanding and painting the MPI stock on the Dakota: I have not done a thing to it for the last 7 months, "work in progress" aka WIP, wipping it out Satterlee style.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP-

I've followed your progress, and I know you've posted this before, but what are your expected ballistics with the tatanka and the lapua. Thanks... an intriguing idea.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Despite my continued ardor everytime I look at one of my 400/.395 cartridges, I know that patience is a virtue. I am going to order some of that Buffalo Trace from my local Liquor store.
By the way, have not found the tall shot glasses to make them up for your "no longer obsolete" round. When I do, I'll be sending them out, also.
Max

ADDED: Just talked to my liquor store and it will be in tomorrow! Will taste and see.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro Express...

Making Game Animals Obsolete one at a time.

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
maddenwh,
The Lapua and Tatanka ballpark is 2800 to 2900 fps with 325 to 340-grainers.
The 310-grain VeloSHark Velopex load should be 2900 to 3000 fps in 26" barrels.

Happy Hunting loads with either Lapua or Tatanka will be about 2750 fps with all of the 310 to 340-grain bullets.

The 325-grain S&H Ripper and the 340-grain GSC SP will be pushed to max velocity for long range target work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. I real pee shooter in the works. An excellent squirrel gun to be. Thanks for the specs... looking forward to hearing the rest of it's development and performance.

Are the 340's the heaviest-for-cal you'll be loading...i.e. will you have a DG load developed for thick skinned game (although a 340 grained bullet at 2,700 fps is probably sufficient)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This started off with Gerard of GSC agreeing to make a .395 bullet. North Fork turned me down. Gerard designed a bullet trio of 340-grains for a copper FN solid, a copper HV spitzer-hollowpoint, and a VLD copper SP, all of 340-grain weight. I requested same weight of around .3 SD, he came up with the weight based on stability factors and such, so all three would work for intended purposes.

This is actually the only such "trio" of same weight bullets of the same caliber that GSC offers! Big Grin

Gerard has designed them to work perfectly in the 1:12" twist barrels that I got Harry McGowen started on, and McGowen Precision Barrels, LLC continues to make.

That 340-grain .395 has an SD of .311, more than enough bullet weight.

Think of Saeed with his .375/300gr Walterhog with SD = .305 at 2750 fps. Nothing more is needed to kill any game animal well.

410-grain cast lead bullets will be especially effective at 2150 fps from any of the .395's, but mainly in the 400/.395NE.

In fact, I would venture to say that anything heavier than 340-grains would be less effective in the monometal designs that are the modern way to do bullets.

Macifej walked right into the void and filled it with monometal brass bullets of 310, 325, and 330-grain weight, while we wait for GSC to get .395's here in bigger quantities.

I will do serious accuracy and velocity testing when I have proper dies, hopefully within the month. Time to call Redding again ...

I ordered the Satterlee action originally meaning to do the .395 Tatanka on it.
Stuart Satterlee's Daddy's shop was within eye-shot of Kevin Costner's Tatanka Center there in Deadwood, SD.
That is just a curious coincidence. I was already calling the Rigby version "Tatanka" before a Satterlee action was just a shadow in my mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaRippa! Will be most interesting to see at full pressure and 300 + yards.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think of Saeed with his .375/300gr Walterhog with SD = .305 at 2750 fps. Nothing more is needed to kill any game animal well.

Agreed. Didn't realize that the SD would be that good. Might turn out to be a great all=arounder or a one gun battery for a trip to Africa, Alaska, or anywheres you might roam.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
... Might turn out to be a great all=arounder or a one gun battery for a trip to Africa, Alaska, or anywheres you might roam.

That is the idea.
Gerard described it as "The thinking man's caliber."

Various .395 bullets with weights and SD just for fun (the .396 cast bullet is .395 when it leaves the barrel):

300-gr B-Max: .275
310-gr VeloSHark: .284
325-gr S&H Ripper: .298
330-gr S&H Brass FN: .302
340-gr GSC HV, FN, SP: .311
410-gr LBT LFN GC Cast: .375

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
RIP, I sent you a PM with a question.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dangit! The .398 Lapua Mag. will require neck inside reaming/outside turning due to the thick Lapua brass and dreaded donutz!!!
The .395 Tatanka with the same neck dimensions in chamber works fine with Norma .416 Rigby brass necked down to .395.

I have some BeLL/MAST basic cylindrical .416 Rigby brass with blank headstamp that is going to be engraved: .395 Tatanka

Redding dies for the .395T should be in hand anyday now.

Then I'll let'er Rip.

Got some paint for the stock on the Tatanka.

I will soon be in The Long Grass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got that sparkleee paint leftover from a LA Lo-Lo job??

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Uh, Guys? I got my bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon on Friday. Tried a taste test with my normal bourbons, Jack Daniels and Maker's Mark. Buffalo Trace can be the whiskey for the .395 crowd, but I want to use it only with Coca-Cola. Sorry. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Bookers, Hirsh 15 (20 if yer lucky)or Pappy Van Winkle 12, 15 and 20 year is where its at

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Uh, Guys? I got my bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon on Friday. Tried a taste test with my normal bourbons, Jack Daniels and Maker's Mark. Buffalo Trace can be the whiskey for the .395 crowd, but I want to use it only with Coca-Cola. Sorry. Roll Eyes

aroo, shaggy, did you say Maker's Mark. ???

that's ME

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38404 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:

Roll Eyes
What a sissy! Or just a "Space Cadet?"
Obviously no appreciation of the finest of bourbon.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Your choice of cartridges proves you have outstanding taste in that area. I agree whole heartedly with most of your opinions.
On Buffalo Trace...well, lets just agree to disagree. Wink Oh, and I think your choice of Wild Turkey is good too. clap

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there really such a thing as good Bourban?? hillbilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pappy Van Winkle 23, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Mac...

Buy a bottle of Bookers and let me know what you think...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm saving my booze credits for the two bottles of Ratzeputz which are inbound to me from a friend in Northern Europe.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
$70 at a decent liquor store...

I could send you a shot...I still have a little left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Store is a couple blocks from me. Not the dollar credits I'm saving it's the consumption credits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiss my grits! Big Grin