THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Sako Kodiak .375 (or 416) Users? Thoughts?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Kodiak .375 (or 416) Users? Thoughts? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Considering one in 375HH (but would prefer the 416 Rem Mag)....Any owners or users here?? LIKES or Dislikes? Thanks tu2

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one in .338 Win Mag (I believe the Sako Kodiak is only chambered in .338 and .375 H&H). I've not hunted it yet, but am pleased. I have Kimber Caprivi rifles in .375 H&H and .458 Lott which I have hunted in Africa a few times. I also have a Kimber Montana in .300 WSM, but got a whim to fill the .338 gap, possibly for a future Alaska bear hunt or as an antelope rifle for Africa.

The Sako is unsurprisingly well made and nicely balanced. It wears a Leupold VX6 2-12 scope, like my Kimber .375 H&H. Between the laminated stock and the stainless action and barrel, I would not think it will require much coddling in the field. With handloads it will group 3/4 MOA.

I had read multiple complaints on the ErrorNet about ejection problems with ejected cases striking the scope turrets and fouling the action. However, I'm about 150 rounds into my Kodiak and it has never happened, with either brisk or gentle cycling of the bolt.

I have an older Sako TRG-S 375 H&H carbine with the M995 action but a blued action and barrel in a synthetic stock. If I didn't and I wanted a carbine-sized .375, I would strongly consider the Kodiak. But I really like my Caprivi.

Posts: 109 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Sounds great..I had the Safari in 375 years back and it was very nice...like the smaller Kodiak though ...Thanks for the nice input! tu2

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako Kodiak .375H&H. No problems with ejection, never hit the scope or damaged shells. Very accurate. I had a problem with my magazine which other guys with the same rifle didn’t - it would jam if I put four cartridges in, and I had to position the top cartridge carefully when loading the magazine by giving the nose a downwards push to ensure feeding. I also hate the large front bead on Sakos as they cover half a buffalo at about sixty metres, whereas I want to place accurate heart-shots out to 120m with open sights. It was an easy fix for a gunsmith to replace that front bead, and all was well. Shot dozens of buffalo (NT) with that rifle, along with the other stuff - plus one happy trip for plainsgame in Botswana.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had read multiple complaints on the Net about ejection problems with ejected cases striking the scope turrets and fouling the action

A buddy of mine bought a new Sako 85 and equipped it with Sako ringmounts and a 1" Leupold scope. He had the problem you described. Ejected cases would hit the scope and fall back in the loading port jamming things up. Beretta/Sako was no help. They told him to try different mounts and scope.

It's a known problem with the current Sako's and Beretta won't do a darn thing to correct the issue. My friend sold the rifle.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes I decided to pass! Not for me in a DG Rifle!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have these rifles, and like them.

Only problem is they are too heavy, like most factory rifles in these calibers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66760 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka rifles have the same problem. Very frustrating great rifle in every other instance. The only way I found to make it “reliable” is to make sure Rifle canted to the right working action (less bolt speed the better) and let gravity pull the case away from action. No help when you call Beretta. Although the actions are different on sako the verticle ejection path hits scope the same way. Quite a bit on utube and I can throw my case back in action on demand. No DG for that rifle.....

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes there are some positives but not for me ..I had the Sako Safari years ago in 375..GORGEOUS for factory but never hunted it..now with all these multiple complaints I'm sure it hurts sales...I like the Kodiak and the Brown Bear but not for those species! Lol thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Another on the Big Sako's having a problem on feeding some times !

I have had 3 clients with issues when shooting Buffalo after the first shot (all 375H&H) some didn't even notice they had had a problem reloading, stress of the moment I presume, I had a argument after asking one what happen there & he said no trouble but on the video there he was struggling to load next shell !

Having said that I have three Sako 75's , One 85 & like them plenty, never had any issues with them but in lesser calibers .

Could help to look into what scope is used to ?

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lol baretta(parent company) suggested rotating scope 90 degrees in mounts to move Windage knob out of way. Yeah sure..Umm no. I am serious

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Great for a Lefty?! jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one you shoot best, like best, both work just fine. I used both for many years, today I like the 375 best for a number of reasons..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41760 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote