THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Counterfeit Jeffrey 450-400

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Counterfeit Jeffrey 450-400 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Have any of you guys ever seen or heard about this. This is from "Gunny" R Lee Ermeys personal collection. The description of events when the rifle was fired is disturbing.....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912282832

The rest of the collection....

https://www.ebrwebstore.com/r-lee-ermey-auctions-2/

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Looks like it was a nice rifle back in the day, not a "Counterfeit" as such, was proper Double rifle with Chopper Lump barrels, now with very worn bores, looks like a restock in India & something bad happened to the hook & then it was deactivated by the looks ?

Thanks for posting as very interesting to see it !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The rest of the collection was not too impressive. Nice Winchesters but drileld for scope mounts. Really not much to look at.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it for a couple of bucks plus shipping. Would make a an interesting wall wall hanger.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
So are you guys saying this is a real Jeffrey, NOT a counterfeit?

I am not an expert but the metal fit looks pretty bad to me.

Of course what do I know, I hunt with Rugers! Smiler

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That looks to me like a fake hand made in India. In other words, a bespoke hunk of junk. thumbdown

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13367 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
picture 17

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38435 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That looks to me like a fake hand made in India. In other words, a bespoke hunk of junk.

Well, considering that Jeffery never made any of their own guns, what is a counterfeit Jeffery really? Maybe this just came out of the shops of one of their lesser known subcontractors on the subcontinent? sofa

In all seriousness, I wouldn't pay $50 as a cabin wall hanger, even given the ownership history that they are really trying to sell. I've got my grandfather's 120 year old 22 that had the stock burned off in a house fire, has a furniture from an uncle who was a teenager at the time, and was used hard by generations of kids for a century, and still has vastly better fit and finish. I would love to know the story, however!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like the Westley Richards
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912334959

Posts: 762 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS far as we know, the Jeffrey doubles were made by Leonard and have a characteristic 4 digit number on barrel under forend. Nothing in this rifle. The proof marks look very poorly done in comparison to my A Hollis 450-400 made by Leonard. Bob

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Ermy should have talked to somebody, because he got had.

At least he was not selling fake concert tickets for $100.

I’ve seen people get beat up for that.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote