THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    450 Rigby Headstamped Brass

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Rigby Headstamped Brass Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a source for 450 Rigby headstamp brass..I will be necking up 416 Rigby Brass for starter but need the Headstamp also..Opinions on what we have out there..Quality of..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shooter's Choice has Bertram Brass 450 Rigby listed at $99.95 per 20.

www.shooterschoice.com

Posts: 16 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 24 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFC
Thanks for the info.. I can get Bertram brass from the CZ Slicker for 3.49 a case.. All I've read/heard is that Bertram Brass is DOA..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
akrange, I would not touch Bertram brass again. Try getting something else. (Like maybe Horneber.) I use the Norma cases, and just "restamp" them. Like this:

I have turned the belts off .460 Wby cases as well, but as I have a non std die-set, (made on fired cases), they close slightly difficult. I will sort that problem out in the off season, I hope!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this thread sounds like someone needs to make a post regarding a group buy of 450 Rigby brass from Mark Jamison and get things rolling.

Rich
DRSS
NRA Life Member

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Most likely the last run of BeLL. Their 375 Flanged was marked "Rigby" and I think some of the 450/400 3 inch as well.

Just conjecture on my part but the run was probably made for the Pasa Robles folks.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huntingtons list Horneber brass in 450 Rigby

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All
Karl S. The stamp idea was an option I was thinking about.. From your photo it looks like it will pass for 1st run Brass.. Thanks..

ISS
What would be the Amount/Run Jamison would need to do this.. Any idea..

Mike
Thanks, I'll follow up on that..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKrange,

I can only speak from verrry limited experience... pick a number from $1 to $2 a case, for a 5000 case run. Neal Shirley had Jamison do a run of 550 Magnum this summer, he would be the guy to ask...or his partner in crime JeffeOsso. Mark is the best to work with, he sees things from a shooter in need's viewpoint.

Rich
DRSS
NRA Life Member

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AK

A fellow has posted (a few posts down) about the first Norma production run of 505 Gibbs brass, with pictures.

So maybe Norma 450 Rigby brass is scheduled, since they also do 404 and 470 Nitro.

Perhaps and email or a call to them might give some idea.

Link to Norma 505 brass

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/306105585

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Again.. Thanks.. Will contact Norma.. They may be in process on the 450 Rigby Brass..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All
Talked to Mark Jamison today about Headstamped 450 Rigby Brass.Mark was interested in tooling up for production but would like to get a better feel for demand... If your interested in Jamison Brass for your 450 Rigby give him a call @ 1-605-347-5090..He would like to produce the 450 Rigby Brass along with his other Big Bore Brass {416 Rigby-Etc.} production runs when they come around.. Soon..
AK

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
AK

A fellow has posted (a few posts down) about the first Norma production run of 505 Gibbs brass, with pictures.

So maybe Norma 450 Rigby brass is scheduled, since they also do 404 and 470 Nitro.

Perhaps and email or a call to them might give some idea.

Link to Norma 505 brass

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/306105585

Mike

Hi,
Norma has already started to produce .450 Rigby Rimless, which is the caliber we are talking about and not the .450 Rigby 3 1/4" Wink

The .450 Rigby Rimless and the .505 Gibbs among other Big Bore calibers will first be introduced in Normas new Big Bore ammunition line "African PH".

Cheers
Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husky
Would you then refer to the 416 Rigby as the 416 Rigby Rimless..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AK

Don't think so because there was the 450 Rigby double cartridge....a straight sided rimmed cartridge.

In fact if my memory is working at least half right Big Grin CZ fucked up in their original announcements by referring to the long tradition/history etc of the 450 Rigby.....confusing it with the 450 Rigby double rifle cartridge.

As a side note and you are probably well aware of this, the 450 Rigby is a dead ringer for the 450 Dakota

Mike

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Uh-uh! Their ballistics are the same but the shoulder angle is different enough that they won't interchamber.

Besides, why do you need headstamped brass, anyway? That old saw about having to have your headstamps match your rifle has been put to sleep a long time ago. I had the first .450 Rigby built on the West Coast back in '98 or '99 and have never used .450 marked brass and have never been asked about it.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it; but I have to side with Mike here. I shoot several wildcats, and the lack of proper headstamp has never concerned me. Going to Africa with brass headstamps that do not match the barrel markings can be a showkiller. A friend is going to Burkina Faso after Roan antelope this spring, and he just got some great news...they are requiring you to buy ammunition there...from an "approved cartridge" list...and his 458 Lott is NOT on the list yet.

That will make your day!

Rich
NRA Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
akrange, I would not touch Bertram brass again. Try getting something else. (Like maybe Horneber.) I use the Norma cases, and just "restamp" them. Like this:

Nice RIPoff. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKrange,

why not just call Jamison and ask to buy 100 416 cylindrical cases with no headstamp? Your local jeweler can engrave them 450 Rigby for about a buck a case.

Rich
NRA Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
In 1898 John Rigby did introduce the 450 N.E.3 1/4 which was a Double [Rimmed} Rifle round..
ISS
The question was put to Mark about selling me 150 cases {416} Non-Headstamped..He was out of 416 Rigby stamped and unstamped..I'm think'in He's mulling the 450 Rigby Brass run..
I hope I don't have to buy loaded ammo to get the Headstamp... Or a punch set-up to do my own as Karl has done..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AK

RIP needs to chime in on what I am about to say....

I think Quality Cartridge (right name?) start with brass cylinders from the various makers. Perhaps they could do 416 Rigbys for you and head stamp them 450 Rigby.

If they were not prepared to stamp 416 Rigbys as 450 Rigby I think someone will make you a little die/stamp so it would be easy to do.

But as I said, RIP is the man with this sort of info.

I live in the primitive world of Weatherby Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
Husky
Would you then refer to the 416 Rigby as the 416 Rigby Rimless..
AK

nope!
The .416 Rigby is the .416 Rigby but the .450 Rigby is not the .450 rigby Rimless - It's the .450 3 1/4" Rigby Flanged!

Do you follow me? dancing

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neal Shirley initially thought Qualite Cartridge would be making his 550 Magnum brass, but ended up at Jamison...most likely dictated by the cost and size of the run.

regards,

Rich
NRA Life Memver
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP.. What say you on said subject..
AK

one of us
posted Hide Post
AK,
Mike has me confused with Dave Estergaard, creator of the 470 Mbogo. Wink

Dave bought a bunter with the desired headstamp and used cylindrical brass with blank heads. He rigged himself a press using a 4-ton hydraulic automobile jack and a welded steel frame, to hold the bunter and a steel rod that had the brass slipped over it. The jack pressed the brass against the bunter.

See the story with pics of the apparatus at:
www.470mbogo.com

I am small time, limited to altering .338 Lapua Magnum headstamps with a punch or engraving tool.

Rich's suggestion is good, but requires blank headstamp to engrave, just as getting your own bunter and press does.

A run of 5000 pieces of brass would require a group buy, or a commercial purpose for an individual buyer.

I like the simple little RIPoffs like:

change a "3" to a "9" for the .398 Lapua
or
change a "7" to a "9" for the .395 H&H (Improved)
thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP
Thanks...Simplicity and Necessity have driven the course of History..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All
Just got off the phone with Mark Jamison.He's got the ball roll'in on the Brass run for the 450 Rigby..He's optimistic he can pull a 5000 run..If you are interested call him @ 1-605-347-5090..This can happen..
AK