THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .577 NE kills Cape buffalo cow

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.577 NE kills Cape buffalo cow Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is kind of a lame video that I posted elsewhere here in the past.
The final scene shows a 577 NE kill on a cape buffalo cow at about 40 yds. I say in the narrative that I am shooting my "trusty old 577" but the rifle actually has the 500-110 barrel on it. The kill scene is with the 577NE. Marvels of an editing program. I had very limited footage from four buffalo hunts to piece together a single hunt video.

Enjoy if you can, Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4rqMA4rNs

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Haha great stuff Brian, looks a lot like where I work, sort of miss it this year !

You are the Man shooting that rifle, my NEF in .500NE would smash me into next week with the 570gr & full loads & I started using the 535gr, which was still too much lol !

The Peregrine looks a bit strange, I have used them a bit in .375 in the work rifle, all seemed to work well but I don't remember which type .

Thank you for posting that up !

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks for sharing

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38422 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, you'd be a great stand-in for Marlin Perkins of the old Wild Kingdom series!

Posts: 20080 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarg, Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, that is me shooting it, but I remind everyone that it is the .500-110 barrel (450 Gr CEB bullet at about 2000fps, not the 577 barrel.) The sequence in the video at the end is definitely a kill with the 577 Nitro Express 700 grain Bushmaster bullet at moderate speed. Shattered the shoulder. See Peregrine bullets website to see the insert in the front of the bullet.
The location is in the low veld near the north end of KNP. Real nice spot. I like the Lowveld. I hunted buffalo on the Klassari River too. Beautiful area.

Most folk weight the the butt stock but I like to add the weight to the forend with about 1/2 lb. of epoxy/bird shot in a routered out channel. I like the weight forward.

Biebs, I get that "Marlin Perkins" thing from time to time. I will take it in the best possible way. Chuckle.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Brian, you'd be a great stand-in for Marlin Perkins of the old Wild Kingdom series!

Haha Biebs, I was trying to remember who that was from when I was a Kid, I loved those shows, thought the same !

That .500-110 is all you would need really, did you rechamber a .500 S&W barrel ?

I have guided a few hunts in Klassari area, 4-5yrs back the animals were in a very bad way from the drought, bit cheaper over there as Red Zone & they can't be moved or the meat sold out side that area .

Well you can after so many days or weeks as I remember a buddy had a plan & rented a shed & made Biltong to sell out of the area after the time lapse, only to find it all gone on his return, I was surprised that he was surprised lol !

Would be really interested to see footage of you shooting that dam .577NE Brian, seemed a little close to getting you with the .500-110, I had the scope way forward on the .500NE as I hate getting the scope in the head & Leupolds seem to be sharpened up around the eye piece .

The recoil only gives you a headache no blood, on saying that I shot mine in a comp & my arm went numb from the recoil & I had trouble reloading in the speed event but the ejector really helped on this & I out shot my score in same event using a .470NE double rifle !!

My NEF in .500NE 3 1/4in

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sarg, I was hunting cows at buffaloLand Safaris, On the Klasari when that drought was on. I wrote a story of it called "Never Mind The Bull" It's here on AR in the Africa Hunting section, I think. I could post it again here if you are interested. (577 with my own hard cast bullets.)

There is a video of me shooting the 577 in that hunt on You Tube. "Brian hunt cape buffalo". 700 gr cast at 1700fps.

Using the 500S&W barrel would work fine to convert but I wanted a longer/heavier barrel. My TC Encore now also has a 500-110 barrel 24 inches long. and a 20 inch 500S&W barrel. I will take both barrel to Africa if we ever get past this covid 19. With the Encore I am running the same CEB bullets, 410 Raptor and 450 Safari solid, about 200 fps faster.

Yes I have got an "idiot mark" several times from the scope on that 577. From now on I am going to try a set of Skinner peep sights. One day I fired the 577NE 28 times off the bench and off the sticks in load development. Worse that a boxing match. I see your Leupold is nice and far forward.

I learned a trick with my H&R.
They will take a lot more pressure than most men could ever handle. Good powders for a "friendly" pressure curve are the N500 series of Viht. powder.
Sometimes these Handi rifles with heavy loads will pop open when you shoot. (The bullet is long gone but it always causes some bad language.)
Here is what you do if this ever happens.
1. fold a piece of 180 grit emory paper over a file and sand the latch crossways about five strokes.
2. Make sure that there is no oil on the barrel latch.
Fixed! Never pops open again.

When Covid is over I will hunt NE of Crooks Corner in Gaza, Mozambique, Half way to the Save River, I think. That will be a real African hunt, not my usual farm hunt.

If you are still guiding I would like to contact you. I love hunting cows in the Low Veld. I like the area and it's history. At my age, cows on red zone farms are lots of excitement for me and I can afford a bit of it once in awhile.
Brian

PS. The 500-110 kills cape buffalo like a lightening strike with a centre shoulder shot using those 410 gr. CEB Raptor bullet.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I didn't think the recoil was a 577, but the hit on the target definitely was; that buffalo was so stunned it couldn't move!
Thanks for posting that, and the best part is that it was a single shot H&R; not a $20K DR.
Next time, get a better narrator!.
(JK)

Posts: 17071 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpd, Ya! That narrator sounds like he is in the sauce! I may have to fire the sob.

Good eye to see that the recoil was not 577NE. After the kill you could grab the left front hoof of the buffalo and move it around in a circle as it was disconnected. The two PH's were surprised/relieved when the big bullet went over the young bulls neck and busted the cow.

Yes, I do chuckle to myself when I do the same thing with my H&R that the rich folk do with their high end doubles. (However, If I had the money I would be the first guy to buy nice double!)

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I love it!

Posts: 17071 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, it's the hunt that counts, not the rifle. :-)

Posts: 20080 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done great video footage there, you can see the trace of the projectile be good to see that bit in slow motion !

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Well done great video footage there, you can see the trace of the projectile be good to see that bit in slow motion !

Agree. It was good.

Anyone care to say what they think would have happened with that shot placement and appropriate bullet in a 375 or 416 or 458.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I don't think we should dissect some ones shot placement on a post really .

I will say I was involved in quite a few Buffalo hunts in this area at that time also, both Bulls & Cows, the animals weren't at their greatest strength at that time !

We did have one of our scariest charges from a wounded cow on a hunt there, it surprised & taught me another lesson, we had her covered & I thought she would come from one of the openings on each side of the thick thorn tree patches she was hold up in but all of a sudden she just smashed straight out like the trees were grass & came head on !

These are Trees/Bushes that a Landcruiser would have trouble smashing through.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarg, interesting. Yes the buffalo were in terrible condition. This cow may have been weak as a house cat. Who knowns.

Some PH's have told me that they have had more trouble with cows than bulls. That's true on farm/ranch cattle.

As you know that point high and forward in the shoulder is the junction of a bunch of important bones from the leg, the neck and the shoulders.
As you can see the bullet needed to clear the animal standing in front of it with it's head down drinking. I should have waited, probably, but I was excited and only 40 yds away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC, Yes those big, slow .585 bullets show up on an HD video. Cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I see it the same way. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moderator, Thanks, I am happier over on this side of town instead of the political forum.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I have a few photos of Brian's awesome Big Bores here & will post them up, he can add some details later I hope !

Looks like it runs in the Famliy, Hunting & H&R use, but just using a little lighter caliber on the White Blesbok, a 30/30 I'm told

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job sarg. Thanks, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top photos are near the Klassarie River in a bad drought year. I cast hard lead bullets for that trip. I think they were about 1,700 fps. MV. See the heart shot. Below the heart shot photo shows the H&R Handi Rifle with the 22", 500-110 barrel mounted.
Bottom photo is the Gallup boys going out for dinner. Little Jaxon used a H&R Handi rifle with factory 30-30 barrel and 100gr CEB Raptors. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.