THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Need a 1920s Westley Richards .425 WR Magnum?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a 1920s Westley Richards .425 WR Magnum? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There's what looks like a nice Mauser from WR coming to auction next month that stands fair to fall through the cracks, it's the only rifle in an estate sale, starts at $1,500. Not mine, if you want the auction DM me.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9535 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Sounds amazing
Maybe when I have an empty nest I will be able to afford such a dream rifle.
Any pics?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Sounds amazing
Any pics?

https://brunkauctions.com/lot/...xpress-rifle-4075268

Has been sitting on that buttpad a LONG time...

Posts: 9535 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minor oxidation in bore...

That’s rust to me...

Might be a pick up that requires a bit of TLC...

Posts: 10562 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sad to see. Someone has Bubba'ed up that rifle big time in my view. Just look at what they did to the barrel, front sight, etc. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21181 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Minor oxidation in bore...

That’s rust to me...

Might be a pick up that requires a bit of TLC...

I'd guess it's been sitting in a closet for a LONG time, other than chopping the barrel it looks like neglect rather than abuse. Outside of one decorative wallhanger there's nothing remotely related in the rest of the estate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They've let moss grow on the cannons they had in the garden, they almost look like they've been laying on the ground.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It could be made to to shine again. I would be proud of it.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . front sight is not original too. Might be fun to shoot but in terms of value it is an action with bottom metal.

Mike

Posts: 21181 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Sounds amazing
Any pics?

https://brunkauctions.com/lot/...xpress-rifle-4075268

Has been sitting on that buttpad a LONG time...

Looks like they chopped the barrel! The front sight is not original. I believe.

Posts: 10786 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Outside of one decorative wallhanger there's nothing remotely related in the rest of the estate.

I think at a start bid of $500.00, one of those cannons might look pretty good at my place. I think a wad of toilet paper in front of a few grains of Unique might make it a fun yard ornament Wink. Thanks for posting.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Outside of one decorative wallhanger there's nothing remotely related in the rest of the estate.

I think at a start bid of $500.00, one of those cannons might look pretty good at my place. I think a wad of toilet paper in front of a few grains of Unique might make it a fun yard ornament Wink. Thanks for posting.

Shipping to Texas would be ferocious unless you could get it strapped to a pallet, then shipping by UShip wouldn't be too bad.

If you're serious, get the swivel gun.

I wish we had a forum for posting weird stuff I find in auctions that I'm not going to bid on.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Sad the condition of the longrifle. Looks like it started out as a flintlock than was later converted to percussion.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2790 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Sad the condition of the longrifle. Looks like it started out as a flintlock than was later converted to percussion.

I'm guessing this estate must have taken a while to settle, a bunch of stuff sat untended for a while. That's not too hard on porcelain and furniture but hell on guns.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the barrel and crown .. hacked off to 18" and flat "crown"

though i'd have it as a shooter, just for fun

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . front sight is not original too. Might be fun to shoot but in terms of value it is an action with bottom metal.

IDK Mike, on the front sight .. there's a couple pics of WR with somewhat look a alike .. could be a "period" commercial part??

https://www.gunsamerica.com/98...gnum-Bolt-Action.htm

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38452 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The front sight base could be correct.
Generally, W.R. rifles of the period had one such as this or the patent flip over sight protector.
I think this one doesn’t look as typical because it’s been moved way up the barrel so doesn’t wrap around as much as it would on the end of the smaller diameter of the original muzzle.
It is an interesting rifle though. You’d have to get into it pretty cheap to make all the work needed to resurrect it worthwhile.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id have bought it in a heartbeat a few years ago when I was still hunting Africa, that is one hell of a nice rifle considering..I could cure its wounds in less than a day...First Id shoot it and see how it shoots, Ive seen many rusted barrels shoot great in the big bore slow velocity calibers, lots of doubles will, in fact most..but one could simply circumsize it as that show to have allready been done once, add a silvers leather covered pad and still have a nice valuable rifle. I did one just like it and rebored it to 458 Win and that sure didn,t devalue it one bit, refinish the stock, send the metal to turnbull to recut the lettering and rust blue would be a smart move...funny story behind that one.

Its a great caliber for sure..depends on what it sells for, but at 3 grand it would be a steal, and 5 grand isn't out of line IMO..those old English rifles can be re-blacked etc. just like the doubles and it doesn't ruin the value like it does an old Win or sharps etc..Ive restored a couple of old bolt guns and made a lot of money on them..One I traded for a double rifle on AR and he sold it to someone else and it ended up fetching $50,000 last I heard, it was a wrecked HH, I did the stock and Turnbull did the metal.I bought it for $600 from Bob Richards of Wesley Richards at the time. Hmmmm maybe I have one more restoration left in me..will see how it goes, I have a PM to the poster..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi, ray..like you i was following this auction...just went for 5000 plus 28% auction fee....as much as i like the older british rifles....even an latter day "howdah" length barrel modification...it surprised me that it went that high...john

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john waugh:
hi, ray..like you i was following this auction...just went for 5000 plus 28% auction fee....as much as i like the older british rifles....even an latter day "howdah" length barrel modification...it surprised me that it went that high...john

Looking at the overall results that auction shows all the signs of intra-family warfare fought with checkbooks. That rifle didn't bring rifle money, it brought "Screw you Cousin Billy" money, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The auction house had a VERY good day with lots of stuff realizing 5X the high estimate and a couple 10X. The heirs are figuring it all goes in the pot that gets chopped up and passed around while the auctioneer rakes a quarter-million off the top.