THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Stock crack repair on 416 Rem build

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock crack repair on 416 Rem build Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve posted about this gun in the custom gun forum. It’s a left handed 416 Rem I’m building on a model 70 action.

The stock is a factory safari express blank I picked up from Numrich gun parts for dirt cheap. So I don’t have a lot of money invested in this stock. However, it has decent figure and I’ve spent a good bit of time reworking the stock with an ebony tip, cross bolts, a fisher grip cap, new recoil pad, along with pillar bedding the action. So if this crack is repairable that would be good news. If not, I’ll probably scrap it and buy a properly laid out English walnut blank and have it turned down for me.

Below is a picture of the hairline crack, which developed after about 30 rounds. It’s under the bolt handle and extends back a bit. Can this be fixed? Maybe injecting CA glue and then inserting a rod from the trigger guard opening below?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would drive acuglass or some thing similar with a heat gun into the cracks.

Then bed the action along with the first 3 inches of the barrel in front of the action or up passed the barrel lug if it has one.

If it does not have a barrel lung have one installed and then glass bed it.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CA glue, overnight clamp. Then correct the action bedding or bolt notch inlet so it doesn't split it again.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Tex84,

Go to a Woodcrafters store (or s similar high end woodworking supply store) and get some wood "super glue" and spray fixative. The glue comes in about 5 different viscosity. Buy the lowest which is like water and it will wick into the crack freely. Then clamp it and spray it with the fixative which will dry it instantly. I've repaired several cracks this way and they have not returned. Make sure there is ample clearance around the bolt handle.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello Tex84,

Go to a Woodcrafters store (or s similar high end woodworking supply store) and get some wood "super glue" and spray fixative. The glue comes in about 5 different viscosity. Buy the lowest which is like water and it will wick into the crack freely. Then clamp it and spray it with the fixative which will dry it instantly. I've repaired several cracks this way and they have not returned. Make sure there is ample clearance around the bolt handle.

Actually, you really will want to rethink the use of the ca spray fixative as the fixative causes the ca to crystalize and turn white, which will be permanent then you'll have a nice little white line in your stock right there.

Work out how you'll be clamping it ahead of time. drizzel the ca glue in. By its nature it will flow to the bottom of the crack.
Get the liquid ca glue not the gel. very important as the gel wont penetrate like the liquid. leave clamped 4 to 6 hours.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I had to put a little pressure on the stock for that crack to show so I’m wondering if clamping will even be necessary. Thoughts?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would drill under it and fill with glass and drive a small threaded screw and hole with glass bedding..that split was likely due to recoil so releave a bit more around the bolt..the picture was huge on my screen, Im assuming it went forward from the bolt cut correct??...Nice enough stock, no reason to waste it. Almost any stock can be repaired....Its a good idea to have a repair ket of class and screws on any hunting trip such as on safari..I repaired a 500 NE double that the safari truck ran over and broke the butt OFF at the wrist..drilled and inserted a 6 inch 1/4" threaded bolt in a oversized hole with glass bedding..That was over 38 years ago, owner has never replaced the stock he said about 5 years ago, no need to he said..I did touch up the checkering best I could when the hunt ended and we got home..I gave a 577 rare Army Navy the same treatment some 10 years ago, sold it to a Boise gun store for the owner adn its still cooking Im told.

Glass, bolts, screws and bailing wire will repair anything..and that silver tape will hold it together until you get home.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clamping if you can is always a good idea, it tends to hide the repair..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote