Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery in Africa Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok guys, let's hear about your 404 Jeffery that you've used in Africa, and your second rifle or third as a complete battery.

My last four safaris have been in Zambia with Andrew Baldry. I've taken my Dakota Safari 404 Jeffery all four times, and have been fortunate to take a couple of Buffalo with it. I've used 400 gr. SAF on my Buff, and also taken 430 gr. NF, but never had a chance to use the round. Andrew has a beautiful 404 Jeffery that he has carried, along with a double rifle in 500NE.

I really like the cartridge and rifle for DG. My rifle weighs 8.5 lbs, and is a joy to carry.

My back up medium bore rifles in the batteries have been a 375 H&H, 35 Whelen, & 338WM. In the future, I want to also take some other mediums to accompany my 404, namely my 9.3x66, 9.3x62 & 338-06.

So, tell me your stories with the 404, and your choices of a second rifle that you took.

I regret that I am technically challenged and unable to post pics of the great animals that Andrew has guided me to successfully which have included: Buffalo,Leopard,Roan,Sable,Sitatunga,Zebra,Wildebeest,Hartebeest,Bushbuck,Puku,Reedbuck,Warthog, and Oribi. We attempted Lion on my last safari with Andrew, but were unsuccessful. Great excuse to go back & try again!!

OK, your turn. Show/tell us your 404 stories!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Surefire,
I have used my 404 for 2 Buffalo, 1 Eland, warthog,kilpspringer, duiker, baboon. It is a 9# gun and like you said, a pleasure to carry on a long day. Tried for a tuskless, but never found the right one. I had it built by a gunsmith in AZ, and currently I'm having another built. I used the 400 gr. NF softs and solids on both safaris, and was happy with the softs, not sure about the CPS I would stick with the FPS from here out. Not much more to share as I have only used the 404 on 2 safaris, but love the cartridge it's easy on the shoulder weather you are shooting it or carrying it.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2018 I went on a own use Elephant and Hippo hunt in the Caprivi used my 404 on the Hippo and my Double in 470 on the Elephant. The 404 is a excellent caliber for anything in Africa

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 263 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've taken 3 buffalo, elephant and a smattering of plains game with my .404. Great caliber... I rarely take two rifles to Africa anymore so I look for rifles that can do a bit of everything.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandfather (and then my father for a few years) owned an original Mauser 404 on single-square-bridge magnum action. The bottom metal formed a bit of a hump, such that the magazine could hold 5 rounds (could even close over 5, so the 1-up capacity was 6).

The only modification to the rifle was a Lyman receiver-mounted peep sight (which we used without a disc as a "ghost ring" and a slightly taller square post front sight. The original express sights were still there.

I know he took several lions with it, but I am not sure what else. My father hunted lion with it but never shot one (he wanted a charge), and a couple of buffalo, and I participated in 5 buffalo hunts with it (primary hunter once and backup the rest of the times). We all shot general plains game with it as well a few times.

It was a lovely rifle to shoot off-hand (I have fired two other 404's, and this one was by far the nicer recoiling, despite not being any heavier), but prone it was a bear. A friend and I were walking with it one day and got to discussing (arguing perhaps) whether the express sights were actually calibrated for distance, or whether they were just there for show. We found a dead tree with a distinct blaze on it to serve as an aiming mark located conveniently next to a straight stretch of road, paced out 500 yards and I took a shot prone. The 5" long drag marks my bare elbows left in the dirt road were clearly visible, and the shot was just 6" low on the tree. I was amazed I hit anything at all.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
And not to mention the 404 case is a popular one for these new high velocity medium bores.

Posts: 18 | Location: Taylor, Texas | Registered: 20 August 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used the 404 and 450-400 almost exclusively, I have probably shot 20 or more buffalo with the 404 Jefferys..My 404 backed by a 375 or 338 always seemed about right..I might add I like the 450 gr Woodleighs in soft and solid..I worked with Geoff on that bullet and he graced me with about a dozen boxes of softs and solids, they just make a big old bull shake like a dog pooping a peach seed..

But if one isn,t a foregone African hunter, Id suggest a caliber that would also be more suited to use back home such as a 375 H&H or Ruger and Maybe a 9.3x62. No need for a light rifle for that matter. but thats your choice anyone of a dozen caliber for a second rifle, I did that from time to time and never took the light rifle out of the case.
IN buffalo elephant Lion and Hippo country, one should pack at least a 9.3x62 or a 375 as you never know what might pop up out of the tall grass with wire on its leg or whatever else determines their midset at the time...

I recall one of Saeeds friends and Pierre van tonders brother in law Richard having such a battle with mad buffalo catching them off guard in the tall grass, scratched them up a bit, tossed them around a bit, and their shots went a tad wild but they whittled him down before real damage was done..It was funny as the story was repeated over an over around a fire and some sundowners, but only because no harm came to anyone. the buff had a snare on his foot and leg was swelled up terribly..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I posted hunt reports of a hunt in Tanzania and a hunt in Burkina Faso. In those days I used Photobucket to host my pictures, which changed its policy to a "pay" service and I refused. I thought all the pictures were never to appear in my posts. Anyway, the hunt reports:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...401008771#6401008771

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/7341079481/p/1

I used my 404 Jeffery rifle on both hunts.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your stories.

Wink, thank you for the great report and photos!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might add that I loaded my good Mauser and pre 64 win custom 404 Jefferys with the 400 gr. bullet at 2400 FPS give or take a bit, I settled on 93 grs of 4831 (old surplus) and 95 was a case full and slightly compacted, and kicked like a mule..Compare that to the old std. in early guns of a 400 gr. bullet at 2200 to finally 2300 fps..I see a lot of new 404 aficiondos shooting the 404 at 2100 on buff and guess it works for them..I like my loads of 2300 to 2400 fps much better on buffalo and my lates favorite is the 450 gr. woodleigh at 2388 fps with 4831, and I bet the short core would be even better...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone loaded and chronographed a 404 Jeffery with the NF 430 gr. bullet?

Has anyone taken DG with this bullet?

It has an incredible SD of .343, actually a bit higher than a 500 gr. 458 bullet.

Of course there's the Woodleigh 450 Gr. in the .423 caliber with SD of .359, but I'm suspecting a velocity of around 2,100 fps.?

What is the best velocity any of you have achieved with the 430 gr. NF in your 404 Jeffery?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used that bullet in Tanzania and it performed to perfection, I field tested the .430 gr. NF soft and the flat nose solid for Mike back in the day..

Your never wrong using No. Forks, that I can guarentee...every bullet recovered looks just like the first one you recovered a perfect mushroom..

I shot the Woodleigh 450s at almost 2300 fps in my for with a stiff load of 4831, 4350, and one of the RL powders?? It may be my all time favorite buffalo bullets in softs..With any woodleigh the pp will out penetrate the RN, but the RN does more internal damage and has sufficient penetration...Same applies to the 375 and 416 Rem that I tested for both Mike and Geoff...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have the 404’s little baby.

375/404.

With several hunters, we have shot several hundred game animals with them.

Everything from a duiker to elephants.

Works like a charm.

And anything this one does, the 404 would do as as well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Ray & Saeed!

I am excited to hunt Buff again with my 404 Jeffery, and this time I want to take him with this 430 gr. NF.

However It will be a couple of years yet. I am hunting Lion & Buffalo with Andrew in the Luangwa in Nov., and I am taking my 9.3x62 & 458 Lott. Next year is South Africa, so I am hoping for 2023 to return with the 404 and test out the 430 NF. It'll just have to wait I guess. Frowner

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Take any rifle that you wish, enjoy using it.

I guarantee you that everything you have heard about one killing better than others is a loud of bullshit!

It is where you hit them, that counts.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to tell you, I used the North Fork cup points, probably more than any bullet, it did the work of a soft or a solid, the best of both worlds, give it a try, you will be amazed in any caliber 9.3 and over...Come to think of it I also shot some camp meat with it in the 9.3x62 on one or two of Saeeds hunts. Hartebeest warthog and Impala best O recall..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of JSM
posted Hide Post
Ive used my LH 404 Mod.70 on my last 7 buffalo. 400 TSX at 2165 fps. I use it for plains game as well, just switch to a 3.5x14 Leopold with 300g Raptors, 2700 fps so pretty flat. I've taken "Rhonda" to Burkina, Namibia, Zim and Zambia. We are heading to Mozambique in a couple weeks. Love long necked cases!

Posts: 55 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSM:
Ive used my LH 404 Mod.70 on my last 7 buffalo. 400 TSX at 2165 fps. I use it for plains game as well, just switch to a 3.5x14 Leopold with 300g Raptors, 2700 fps so pretty flat. I've taken "Rhonda" to Burkina, Namibia, Zim and Zambia. We are heading to Mozambique in a couple weeks. Love long necked cases!

beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why use a 404 Jefferys with a 400 gr. bullet at 2100 plus or minus, Ive shot mine with a 400 gr. bullet at 2400 with H4831 and H4350..It performs better than my old load of 400 at 2100 especially with cup points or solids..

Keep in mind the brits of yesteryear complained bitterly about the 400 gr, bullet at 2100 FPS, so the the manufacturers upped it to 2300 and all were pleased. later on the US sportsman went to 2400 FPS and was even more satisfied..Its definatly an option, but the bottom line is its your ball game..

But my last and favorite buffalo hunt and my best ever bull was with Pierre van tonder, I used the 450 gr. Woodleigh in soft and solids and PP and RN at 2275 fps to test the bullets for Geoff, and thats one hell of a killer of the black bulls, best yet..Finally settled on the 450 at a max of 2300 fps and thats been my go to for a number of years..

Ive seen the same underloading of the 9.3x62, The AFricans and Europeans load that one up to several hundred FPS over what Americans load it, or our books recommend..

Everyone should buy a copy of Pierre van der Walts "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" It has tons of reloading data for all DG cartridges and he is not worried about frivolous law suits that US publications are..He is realistic in every respect..The last word in African hunting..great read..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120