THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    How does 458WM perform in your Lott?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does 458WM perform in your Lott? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How does the 458 Win Mag perform when fired out of your 458 Lott. Accuracy, reliability, what model rifle?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered about this too Confused

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a .458 Winchester Magnum fan. My .458 Win Mag is a "lightweight" bolt rifle intended for long walks. I have a .458 Lott bolt which is a "heavy" built rifle mainly used off shooting sticks. I have a pile of .458 Win Mag Norma brass. I like to shoot .458 Win Mag out of my Lott rifle because in my case my Lott rifle is a much heavier rifle than my Win Mag and felt recoil is significantly less. To answer your questions:

1) I have had no long term issues of any kind.
2) I don't belive throat erosion is a concern because of .458 caliber bore volume. A range session for me is 20 rounds of Win Mag through the Lott then I properly clean. I also shoot Lott rounds and have had no extraction problems with Lott cartridges after running quite a bit of Win Mag through my Lott rifle.
3) If only use Win Mag I don't anticipate any problems. There is going to be wear on any rifle. Good cleaning technique goes a long way for extending the life of the rifle chamber and bore.
4) I shoot nice 100 yard triangle 3-shot groups out of my Lott rifle whether using Lott or Win Mag rounds. I have noticed no adverse impact on accuracy using Win Mag rounds. I load my Win Mag with the bullets "seated out" which is a real plus when using Barnes or "heavy for caliber" bullets in the Win Mag case.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx, Buliwyf, very helpful. Many feel that a 458wm on a long mag action is begging to be converted. I agree for the most part. I have a M70 Classic Safari Express and it seems all it will need is a new mag box, bolt stop and ejector. Even if I don't convert to Lott all 3 of these parts would need replacing in order to use loads with the bullet seated further out. So that'll be done.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Shooting .458 WM in my CZ 550 in .458 Lott and have noticed no issues. Velocity is about 20-40 fps less than my CZ 550 that is chambered for .458 WM. Accuracy is spot on.

Mike

Posts: 21188 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is all great to know. The boys in The Kruger have been shooting the hell out of both rounds and they have no complaints. They likely don't spend much time at the range shooting rogue bullseye paper!

This takes me full circle on converting my M70 458wm to 458 Lott. There may just be no need. I don't want to restamp a Winchester bbl, which I'll have to do only if it goes to Africa. The ream job is easy and the other parts can be swapped out, you don't even have to grind on the 458wm parts, just save 'em!

Being able to shoot both rounds is a plus. Just heard recent feedback, thru a friend, from a Zim hunter doing PAC for 12 years and he's never felt undergunned with the 458wm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A blast from the past (2007). Perhaps someone today is wondering the same question.

Showbart, Thanks for asking this question. And thanks to the responders as well. Like others, I have wondered the same question and the replies are very good to know. Thanks!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone actually had to restamp a barrel to import it for hunting? I took mine to Australia which has much tighter regs and no one said a thing

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot more 458s in my Lott than Lott rounds, it kicked less, and they were accurate..I liked the Lott loaded down to just a bit better than a hot 458 load with a 500 gr. bullet at 2100 to 2200 FPS. Good velociy, killed great, and pressures in the Lott were mild plus mild..the perfect combination of a big bore DG rifle IMO..but as I aged I backed off to the 375 and 9.3x62 and my 450-400-3" double..they all worked.. I never saw much difference between any of the big bores and never could be convienced.It was just balistic masterbation between those who haunted the hauls of safari club.. I mean a 220 gr. solid in the 30-06 or a 175 gr. solid in a 7x57 seemed to work pretty darn well...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me just fine

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Shooting .458 WM in my CZ 550 in .458 Lott and have noticed no issues. Velocity is about 20-40 fps less than my CZ 550 that is chambered for .458 WM. Accuracy is spot on.

Mike,
I recall that you have a "458 win" that has a lott chamber .. i could be wrong ... I also recall it shot REALLY well

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote