THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Any use for the "C-Clap Grip"

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any use for the "C-Clap Grip" Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I probably already know the awnser to this question, but at what point in the recoil spectrum does the "C-Clap Grip" become ineffective for managing recoil? It seems that the cool tactical kids (look ma, I'm an operator) predominantly shooting what Jeff Cooper would have referred to as "Poodle Shooters" that are using this stance. Is there really anything to redeem this grip at all? Maybe I'm missing something?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whoa!, and I thought this was going to be about a studdering venereal disease. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is effective in managing Recoil at all. I think it is a fad, somewhat useful in pointing and not over-swinging the rifle target to target but that is it. Accessories like shown in your photo and the proper use thereof is better at managing recoil.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clap Grip

Until 10 minutes ago, I knew nothing about the C-Clamp grip but from the YouTube explanation ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbAbYjqZIs ) think it might help hold down a barrel rising under heavy recoil.

This would assume you were using a scope, of course, and that your barrel was fully bedded.
The dude seemed to hold his hand farther out with it, too, which would tend to straighten the left arm, giving it more ability to take some of the recoil. The short fore ends often found on DG rifles, however, might mean no more wood to hang on to out there.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it works...with the correct weapon configuration.

It’s faster and keeps the rifle flat.

Go watch the Army Marksmanship Unit or a top tier 3 gunner...

It’s not all that applicable for hunting with a bolt gun.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Clamp ... that made all the difference.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
We experimented with a version of this way back in 70’s and 80’s 12 gauge international skeet. Same reasons. Some aid in controlling swing with some side effects if you will. All gaming has lots of experimentation. Some last. Some don’t. We will see I guess.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Send me your 470 Nitro double or custom 375 bolt gun and I can TIG weld on an adaptor so you can attach that cool vertical pistol grip looking thing. It would definitely enhance any traditional hunting rifle.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok

Forends are made to hold the rifle.

Mag wells are made to hold the mag.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
maybe it would work on a Blaser?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The c clamp grip is not what’s pictured above. It is an extended free arm with thumb over barrel or hand guard with full tension on arm and grip.
Very popular with AR Shooters especially competition shooters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, OP image is just a vertical grip accessory.
C-clamp grip is nothing new to anyone who has learned to shoot a .577 Tyrannosaur.
Getting thumb over top of barrel helps mainly with torque control in that case,
so rifle does not twist out of hand and go flying like with Saeed's champions.

The so-called "exaggerated C-clamp grip" is what all the controversy is about.
With that, the offhand arm is extended straight out and C-clamp hand grips around forearm and barrel way out there.
This causes offhand shoulder to be raised and block peripheral vision (to left for right-handed shooters).
This has no application for shooting a sporting rifle, except for Blaser-shooting "smart" guys.
They are "special."
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote