THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    "field test added" - Brevex #13 Fred Wells Custom 35-378 Wby - aka 350 Wells Express

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"field test added" - Brevex #13 Fred Wells Custom 35-378 Wby - aka 350 Wells Express Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Brevex #13 joins the family - a Fred Wells Custom 35-378 Wby - aka 350 Wells Express

Hello All,

Well, would you believe I found another Brevex Mauser. This makes "lucky 13" in my Brevex Collection.

This is my first Big Bore rifle in 35 caliber. Just like the 411 Wells Express I posted here last month, this one came from the same original owner that was an employee of Fred Wells at the time this rifle was made. He did the stock work himself while he was employed by Fred. Like the 411, this rifle was also intended to go to Africa to hunt Cape buffalo, but the political conflicts in Rhodesia at the time canceled his plans. This rifle was custom built for him / by him, and the pair were the only two Big Game rifles that he owned. The stock wood for this rifle was special ordered "Honey" color AA Fancy California Claro Black Walnut.

He ordered a custom set of RCBS dies in 35-378 Wby. (back then they cost only $21 ... ahhh the gold old days)

The caliber stamped on the rifle is 35-378 WBY. This is an early wildcat marking, whereas later rifles in this caliber were stamped 350 Wells Express.

Here are the specs:

Make = Fred Wells Custom
Action = Brevex Magnum Mauser w/ Winchester Style Swing Safety
Caliber = 35-378 WBY aka 350 Wells Exp
Weight = 11-1/4 lbs (loaded)
Barrel = 26" A&M Barrel w/ forward recoil lug and barrel mounted Sling swivel (no sights)
LOP = 14-1/2"
Stock = Custom "uncheckered" California Claro Black Walnut w/ reinforced side panels
Stock = Rosewood Forend Tip w/ checkered metal grip cap
Scope = 6x42 KAHLES Helia Super 6S2 in Wells Custom Mounts
Trigger = Canjar M3 Trigger
Recoil Pad = Pachmayr Solid w/ Black Spacer

The rifle came with dies, and brass, and bullets. Dies are RCBS labeled 35-378 WBY.

Like my other Brevex Fred Wells rifle from this owner, the craftsmanship is superb. Excellent wood to metal fit and all the screws are indexed in-line. The the screw in the checkered metal grip cap is also indexed in-line, and is lightly engraved.

as always, your comments are most welcome.

(a range report will follow)

Here are the "Lucky 13 family ....

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2114 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Some nice wood there. How does the front scope mounting work, is it a slip fit or clamped/soldered to the scope objective bell and then how is it all attached to the barrel? Interesting setup but at least the scope is mounted nice and low.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Some nice wood there. How does the front scope mounting work, is it a slip fit or clamped/soldered to the scope objective bell and then how is it all attached to the barrel? Interesting setup but at least the scope is mounted nice and low.
Hello eagle27,
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure if the front bell is a tight slip fit into the mounting ring, or if its soldered into it. The front mount clamps around the barrel. The rear mount clamps around the scope and is fastened to the back of the action with screws. This scope mounting method is typical of most of Fred Wells scope mountings. In addition, the original owner told me Fred liked using 6x42 KAHLES Helia Super 6S2 scopes because they could stand up to heavy recoil better than other brands of scopes of the day.

Posts: 2114 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your collection is very interesting.
Congratulations on the latest purchase.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice looking rifle.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sweet
Beautiful wood

GMCS USN retired

Posts: 9 | Location: Middle Bama | Registered: 23 September 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting collection from some important gun makers.
beer

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dismal River Armory has a nice one for sale right now if you want another one. I do not work for them, just saw it on GI and passing it along.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
Thanks for all the replies,

The one on Dismal Armory is too pricey for my collection. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
There is not much reloading data available for the 35-378 or the 350 Wells Express. My first test load with a 250g Hornady clocked the chronograph at an average of 2710 fps with ease, with absolutely no signs of pressure. I expect to reach 3300 to 3400 fps by the time I finish testing.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! I've been watching a ZKK602 in .350 Wells for a few years. Can't decide if I want to go down that blackhole. Very little about the cartridge online, or anywhere

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I expect to reach 3300 to 3400 fps by the time I finish testing.

That would be a thumper load for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Nice rifle! I've been watching a ZKK602 in .350 Wells for a few years. Can't decide if I want to go down that blackhole. Very little about the cartridge online, or anywhere

The deal wouldn't concern me much if one got dies with it.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

No dies, but I think I could get it for around $6xx. I’ll have to go look at it and see if it has the built in peep in the action to make it more valuable.

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

No dies, but I think I could get it for around $6xx. I’ll have to go look at it and see if it has the built in peep in the action to make it more valuable.

What is the cost of getting it ammo for it.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Probably $10/shot reloaded...dies are probably 150-300$

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's a beauty. very nice collection too. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:No dies, but I think I could get it for around $6xx. I’ll have to go look at it and see if it has the built in peep in the action to make it more valuable.
Hello Buglemintoday,

Tell you what ... go get it for $6xx.. and and since I already have dies and brass ... I'll give you $850 for it. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty. Thanks for sharing. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Yes, its my lucky 13 Brevex .. Now I'm looking for number 14. Smiler