THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Finally found an A-Square 577 Tyrannosaur - "The Mighty T-REX" - ** 2/2 UPDATE **
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally found an A-Square 577 Tyrannosaur - "The Mighty T-REX" - ** 2/2 UPDATE ** Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
FINALLY ... I bought an A-Square 577 Tyrannosaur - "The Mighty T-REX"

Hello All,

After searching for years, I finally found one / bought one. But, not without the help of Arniet, a fellow forum member who saw my want-ad, and posted the link to the seller.

I was a little apprehensive about the purchase because of the seller's description. He stated that it had a 20" barrel, weighed 12 pounds 13 ounces, and had a 3-shot capacity. I knew the History of these rifles and knew that information didn't match a true A-Square T-REX. Based on the "too reasonable" selling price, I was afraid this might be some kind of a knock-off using an original A-Square stock. - It wasn't. - It was a real T-REX.

The barrel length was 24", the weight was a touch under 14 pounds, ( 14-3/4 pounds when loaded ) and capacity was 4 rounds. ( 1-up and 3-down )

And, as per Factory specs, it has "3" Mercury Recoil Reducers built in. Two in the Butt Stock, and one in the Forearm.

This rifle also has the "Appearance Package" which consisted of an upgrade to "Fancy Wood" and an "Ebony Forend Tip."

I love watching the video from a few years back. Its gone Viral with over 3,000,000 views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmZBGbcsNg

The gun looked good in the seller's ad, but only when I got it in hand, did I see the beauty of the stock.

If it doesn't snow, I'll shoot it tomorrow.

As always, your comments are welcome. .........

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2110 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Flying Rifle!

Pretty wood yet looks strong.

Congrats. You can now start video-ing CHAMPIONS shooting it like Saeed does.

If you do, make sure it lands in soft grass or on wrestling mats if indoors. rotflmo

tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You paid how much????!!!!
Amazing deal if 4K
How much brass in the deal?
Please post videos tu2
Saeed can share with you his special loads.
The internet does not have enough recoil videos animal
You could make money just posting videos of idiots shooting this thing.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Buck. Great wood. Now that you got your varmint rifle---time for a big bore---you should've grabbed my Overkill Cool

Posts: 467 | Location: Driftless Area of Wisconsin | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Congrats. You can now start video-ing CHAMPIONS shooting it like Saeed does.

If you do, make sure it lands in soft grass or on wrestling mats if indoors. rotflmo
Rip ...

Hello Rip,

Thanks for the reply.

We have a covered firing point on the range. I was thinking to tie a rope from the rafters to the gun so in case it flys out of my hands, it won't hit the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
You paid how much????!!!!
Amazing deal if 4K
How much brass in the deal?

Hello boom stick,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, 4K. I was pretty happy with that. Most go for 5K+.

It didn't come with any brass or bullets, but I already have some.

Posts: 2110 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Get yourself some of those 10 shot cartridge boxes.

Get some VVN550 powder, Federal 210 primers, and 750 grain bullets.

Also one can of UNIQUE!

Load 9 rounds with 186 grains of VVN 550.

Load one round with 50 grains of UNIQUE.

Mark this one so you can recognize it.

Put everything in the 10 round ammo box and go to the range.

I am sure you will attract quite a bit of attention.

Take the round loaded with UNIQUE, and fire it.

Offer the rest to anyone who wants to have a taste clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66891 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Saeed,

Thanks for the reply.

I did something similar once with a 44 mag T/C pistol. I shot a couple of rounds loaded with a 200g bullet and 15g of 2400 powder. Then I gave it to a friend to try. His load was a 265g bullet with 24g of 2400 powder. I stood behind him and caught the pistol when it flew over his head. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Uber-cool. Cool

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Awesome, when Jurassic Park becomes real, you can hunt the big boys, I'll take on the little ones with my 500 Jeffery.

Beautiful rifle!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4723 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We had fun years ago before the T.Rex came along.

We chambered a Ruger Number One To 460 Weatherby Magnum.

Many people refused to shoot it, which defeated the whole object of it.

So we took an old 223 barrel and turned it down, so we could use it as a barrel insert!

Worked like a charm clap

We would put the 223 barrel insert in, and let someone shoot it.

Then someone would distract them,and we would take the insert out, and load it with a 460 Weatherby round!

Amazing the reactions we got rotflmo

Posts: 66891 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are crazy.

I’m 6’3” and 225 lbs, please put me down for the squib load.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Please please start a YouTube channel for all the brave souls willing to try Saeeds special loads.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Awesome, when Jurassic Park becomes real, you can hunt the big boys, I'll take on the little ones with my 500 Jeffery.

Beautiful rifle!

Hello chuck375

Thanks for the reply.

OK. you have have the Raptors.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Hell, I would try out Saeed's load. How bad could it be? Big Grin

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a real teeth rattler for sure.......

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2844 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srshooter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! I wanted one in .500 A2 ever since I handled one at a shot show around 1990. Then 3 or 4 yrs later ( I think), they came out with the .577 and I wanted it too!

A few yrs ago I had a .500 A2 built on a CZ 550 with a McMillan stock. Then, last year, I purchased the .577 T-Rex's ballistic twin, a .585 Hubel Express that's built on a Winchester Enfield. They aren't EXACTLY the same rifles I used to dream of but damned close! I'm sure you'll "enjoy" your .577 alot!

As a side note, the name ".577 Tyrannosaur" alone gives it extra cool points. It's a tie with the ".600 Overkill" as the greatest cartridge name ever!!! hilbily

Posts: 338 | Location: montana | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Congratulation for buying fun rifle :-)

For the same "fun purpose" reason, I ordered rifle in .585 Hubel Express (straight wall design, brass available, about the same power as .577 T-Rex).

But I am recoil tolerant, so I can fire full load and later give to bystanders. I will take it to hunt wild boars here.

But your T-Rex is a classic at itself and very nice rifle too.

Enjoy your toy! Big Grin

Jiri

(my toy is here: http://www.585he.cz )

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
That looks like a real teeth rattler for sure.......

Hello gunslinger55,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the full load will impress you - 2450 fps with a 750g bullet yields over 10,000 ft/lbs muzzle energy. That load has about 150 ft/lbs or recoil energy. However, I also shoot a "fun load" of 1500 fps with a 750g bullet. It only has about 50 ft/lbs recoil energy, but still has about 3800 ft/lbs muzzle energy. Which is plenty enough for downing paper targets.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Any source for jacketed 900 gr bullets?

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:

Here's the good folks at Woodleigh but there are several

http://www.woodleighbullets.co...itional/468-700-list

Posts: 467 | Location: Driftless Area of Wisconsin | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 600 Overkill:
quote:

Here's the good folks at Woodleigh but there are several

http://www.woodleighbullets.co...itional/468-700-list

.585 900 gr (we are in .577 T-Rex thread). BTW I know Woodleigh did custom run of 900gr .585 bullets, but not available now.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you know anyone with a CNC workshop, I am sure he turn some for you.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Yes, I know. The bullet 40 mm long from pure copper will be about 890 to 900 gr in this design (it is not scratch, it is well designed including proper driving bands etc.):

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine the muzzle blast if it had been a 20 inch tube?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
376 steyr

You react to my post about 900gr bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Can you imagine the muzzle blast if it had been a 20 inch tube?

This came out of a 26" barrel. I think Mitch was trying for the effect, ready to photograph his victim:

My hair turned white after 43 shots.

Say ... how long is Saeed's T. rex barrel?
The Flying Rifle:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same results for Big Daniel as for Little David.
David speaks of the after-effects:

Notice Big Daniel is holding his right hand limply also, as if partially paralyzed, but won't admit to any funny sensations in it. Tough guy! rotflmo

I guess the barrel is so fat that it looks short but is same as buckstix's barrel?
tu2
Rip ...

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
So:

10 lbs, 8.4 oz. 26" tube. Not 577 T-Rex, but 585 HE (about the same case capacity). 750 gr bullet at (starting load, not measured, but estimated) about 2420 fps. Not at all hard to shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4iYhHg2izg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythHG-898mY

In 12 pounds rifle, it must be as 22 LR for kids ;-)

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:"....I guess the barrel is so fat that it looks short but is same as buckstix's barrel? ..." Rip ...

Hello RIP.

Thanks for the reply.

You could order the T-Rex with custom barrel lengths, but I think anything shorter than 24" would defeat the intended purpose of the caliber.

Here's a 2008 interview with Arthur Alpin, the inventor of the A-Square rifle and the T-Rex caliber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA2137uZlSI

quote:
So:

10 lbs, 8.4 oz. 26" tube. Not 577 T-Rex, but 585 HE (about the same case capacity). 750 gr bullet at (starting load, not measured, but estimated) about 2420 fps. Not at all hard to shoot: Jiri

Hello Jiri,

Thanks for the reply.

My A-Square T-Rex rifle weighs 13 pounds 15-1/2 ounces empty, and 14 pounds 12-3/4 ounces loaded, and has 3 mercury recoil reducers built into the stock. I think the dramatic internet videos of people shooting the T-Rex are the result of the shooters not knowing of (or expecting) the rifle's violent recoil. At least I hope that's the case.

My daughter, who videoed me shooting my 700NE, saw the internet videos of the 577 T-Rex shooters and said she can't wait to video me shooting my T-Rex. She insisted I call her when I go to the range. I'm waiting for a warm-up because weather here has been below zero and I don't want to break. I'm hoping that shooting the T-Rex will be as uneventful as shooting the 700NE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdNrMCKsfk

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Should be great fun. Shoot it offhand, hold on tight and roll with it. Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4723 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buckstix,

The only tip I can offer to all the champions that let the Tyrannosaur take wing:
Grip the forearm with a thumb over the top of the barrel.
This controls the torque to the right and prevents it from escaping the left hand of a right-handed shooter.
But watch out for that pesky rear sight wanting to eat your hand.
Thumb over top and forward of rear sight.
rotflmo

Thanks for the links to your video and to Alphin and Petzal at the Shot Show.
They were showing off a 23"-barreled Hannibal .577 T.
Seems to be the same barrel length as on The Flying Rifle.

From Saeed's load data page, where he also has Mitch Carter's data listed:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/577tyr.html

577 TYRANNOSAUR

The following data was developed in an A-SQUARE Hannibal model rifle. The rifle weighed 13.6 pounds. No effort was made to shoot it for group accuracy, as the whole purpose of this rifle is as a last resort stopper for animals that are intent on changing the make up of your anatomy! Suffice to say that all groups with all powder charges, at various velocities, went into a group of approximately 8 inches, at 100 yards, with the majority of the higher velocity loads grouping in less than 3 inches! This is fantastic accuracy for a rifle of this power, with open sights.

We could not approach the published velocities in the excellent A-SQUARE reloading manual, with their listed powders. As an example, they listed 177.5 grains of Reloader 19 for a velocity of 2473 fps. We used 178 grains of our lot of Reloader 19 and only managed to get 2283 fps. That is almost 200 fps less!

Their data was apparently developed in a barrel of 26 inches, while ours measured only 23 inches.

Still, this is no criticism of A-SQUARE, it just shows the differences you might get by using different rifles and different lots of powder. In the velocity department, we were able to increase the velocity to over 100 fps more than the maximum published by A-SQUARE, by using a powder they did not use. There was no sign of excessive pressure at all, in fact, we think that 2600 fps is quite feasible in this rifle without too much trouble – except recoil! We only stopped because we ran out of bullets!

And talking of recoil, this rifle has is it in spades! Admittedly, it is fitted with the A-SQUARE Coil-Check stock, which has three mercury reducers and the pad area is significantly larger than a normal stock. Both of these modifications to the stock will help reduce recoil. Still, any cartridge that produces over 11,000 foot pounds of energy is going to give you a good whalop. And I guarantee you, you are not going to be disappointed!

... We used the Federal 215 primer, and the Barnes monolithic solid 750 grain bullet, and the overall cartridge length was 3.710 inches.
(See table of loads.)

Saeed's top load for The Flying Rifle with 750-grainer:
VVN 550 186.0 grains >>> 2581 fps >>> 11,100 ft.lbs.

Not a maximal load, they could have gone higher!
BOOM
From a 23" barrel!
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read a section in one of Dr. Robertson's books
"Africa's Most Dangerous" where an experienced big bore shooter touched off a heavy (read high velocity) load in some monster of a rifle and tore up all the ligaments in his shoulder. According to the author, the shooter was still having problems with his shoulder a year later.

Sure is a pretty gun, though (and awe inspiring).

BH63

PS Letting a minor shoot that thing borders on child abuse IMO.

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Should be great fun. Shoot it offhand, hold on tight and roll with it. Smiler

Hello chuck375.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still waiting for the weather to warm up. Much below zero this week, but warms up to 35 to 40 degrees by the weekend. I can't wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is all sounding like so much fun, that I might have to reroute our Alaska RV trip through Wisconsin to beg you for a single shot! Glad the lead I sent you turned out well. Good Shooting!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We removed the mercury reducers.

This has helped the airobatic performance of the rifle. clap

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
not nice lol

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend has one I refuse to shoot it.

I told him only if I et to reload the rounds I would use.

Like some here he likes to induce pain.

I find and found it is unproductive to over all firearms owner ship.

Posts: 19344 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We removed the mercury reducers.

This has helped the airobatic performance of the rifle. clap

You are a wicked man Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arniet:
This is all sounding like so much fun, that I might have to reroute our Alaska RV trip through Wisconsin to beg you for a single shot! Glad the lead I sent you turned out well. Good Shooting!

Hello Arniet,

Thanks for the reply.

Let me know. I'll have some ammo ready for you to shoot ... low, medium, heavy, and holyS$%#!

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a one of a kind purchase and for holding out for exactly what you wanted. I don't recognize the site on which it was advertised; what is it?

I know there has been tons of back and forth about the A-Square rifles, cartridges, company, and owner over the years, but the cartridge stands on its own along with the appearance and design of the rifle. Hard to call BS on a cartridge that makes 10k ft lbs of energy. Do you know when your rifle was made?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote