Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 .470 Capstick Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was making the rounds of the local gunshops today and happened on an M70 in .470 Capstick. Matte finish, pretty plain wood, single leaf rear sight, barrel band swivel. Looked pretty much new. Didn't ask to look at it since they were pretty busy and didn't want to take up time as a "tire kicker". I think, that the price was just south of 6K. Don't know if that ridiculous, cheap, right on the mark or somewhere between those. Anyway, if anyone is interested PM me and I will provide the information. I can also go back and take a look at it if you have some questions. Don't know if they will let me take pics or not as I believe it is on consignment. Just wanted to give a heads up as this is the first one I have seen in the wild.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw that same one, as well. Came out of the defunct Winchester custom shop. I can’t comment on the actual value, but it is as rare as hens teeth.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
There's only a couple Custom Shop 470 capsticks out there.. and every time Ive talked to an owner/shooter the bores are oversized.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was part of their Big 5 Safari series; 125 sets to include:

338 Leopard
375 Lion
416 Buff
458 Elephant
470 Rhino

I too have heard issues with the 470 Capstick and variations in bore diameter. I wouldn't bother to mess with one, as it's not really any more power than a 458 Win Mag or Lott.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard from several sources, (maybe just echoing each other) that they didn't feed worth a damn.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Aren't the "Big Five" series M70 CRF actions?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aren't the "Big Five" series M70 CRF actions?

Yes. I have one in 375 H&H which I have further customized. My favorite go to for Africa. The gentleman that I bought it from had the same serial number in 458 Winchester. I passed on that, even though he begged me to buy both. Without looking, it seems that they were both from set No.50.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I lusted after one in 470 Capstick, but after I got my 500 Jeffery I really don't feel the need. Very nice rifles.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they don't feed, its not the gun its the feeder that built it!! Whistling

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I understand that the 500 Jeffery is notorious for not feeding, takes a very good gunsmith to make one that does. I sent mine to 3 outstanding gunsmiths before mine was perfect. The 470 Capstick should not have a feeding issue. It's built on the 375 H&H case and does not have a rebated rim.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have one from the Custom Shop, the Custom African Express, not the Safari Express or the set guns. Some folks have claimed there are oversized bores, I checked mine after someone posted this up. Mine is the proper .475 size. It seems to feed just fine I have Barnes 500 grain XLC's in both spitzer and round nose solid loaded for it. It has never been fired so I can't tell you how it shoots, but if you want a big bore, it fills the bill. I have another one opened up from a Witworth Express I shoot.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beware of the 470 Capstick, thats 10 pounds of excrement in a 5 pound bag!! ala many big bores come to think of it..Its surprising how many smiths custom rifles just wont feed under all conditions, and the excuses they come up with..

There are those that can do the job right so all is not lost..I gave the capstick a whirl and found it to be a little much for my recoil tolerance, very expensive to shoot and too heavy to handle and last but not least recoil recovery was exceptionally slow and eye focus bounced around a little on ocassion!! I hate to admit it but Its just too much gun if one is honest with ones self, the vast majority are not honest with themselves on this subject..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Bores are like women. Some prefer blondes, redheads or brown haired honeys. If you load your own ammo, you don't have to run it full power all the time. You don't have to beat yourself up having fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have to load a big caliber down, that's a confession!! If you have to concentrate to shoot a caliber or talk yourself into not flinching, you need a lesser caliber, and the old adage is one never flinches when shooting at game is utter nonsense in the form of justification. Tons of critters have suffered that old addage as they died a few days later, its disgusting..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If you have to load a big caliber down, that's a confession!! If you have to concentrate to shoot a caliber or talk yourself into not flinching, you need a lesser caliber, and the old adage is one never flinches when shooting at game is utter nonsense in the form of justification. Tons of critters have suffered that old addage as they died a few days later, its disgusting..
I dont know depends on what you are doing. I generally start with loads 200-300 fps off max loads and work up a tolerance then zero with the loads I will hunt with and then plink around with the lighter loads several more times working in the hunting loads. If I work this way, I have no possibility of picking up a flinch or a bad habit. And lets face it, if I load down from a 500 grain at 2300 to a 500 at 2150, I am still shooting a 458WM factory reported load which is capable of taking down anything that walks. I load down my 338WM with 200's too when I deer hunt with it.The longest possible shot is 135 yards from my stand. A 200 grain at 2700 is a fine deer load.Have you ever seen what a .338 200 grain at 3000 fps does to a deer at 50 yards? Why not just grab a 30"06? If it is poring rain or snowing I prefer using my gun with a fiberglass stock instead of ruining a gun with supergrade wood. Point is, it ain't all about recoil. You load your own to match the load to the task. You are making assumptions without looking at all the options I think. I have a 3.5 inch double 10 ga. with dual triggers and it is sawed off at 20 inch barrels. I shoot it cowboy action shooting and givem both barrels often. Also keep it next to the bed with 00 for social use. If you want some day we can meet up and shoot slugs pulling both barrels at the same time for best groups on targets. I bet I out shoot you and your shoulder breaks before mine.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I used to load my 500 Jeffery down when I first got it, but one hang fire stopped that! Obviously all my fault. I now only shoot full power (570g at 2300 fps) loads, mostly off hand or sitting with a sling. "Baby" and I have a full and good relationship now lol.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load my 510 Wells to 500NE ballistics. Will never get to Africa, but for nostalgia purposes, that original 500NE seems to have few critics as to its effectiveness. I have never seen the reason to load every caliber to its maximum velocity, but to each their own. It is a bit of a puzzle to me that a lot of the really big boomers have muzzle breaks attached to "help cut down recoil". Not too much difference, IMO, in downloading/having a muzzle break. Both can reduce recoil. My loads in my 510 are about the absolute limit as to what I can shoot, due to a trashed shoulder.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loading down has no benifit in that you are creating a 338 or 30-06. simple as that, and in many cases loading down is an excuse for being over gunned.

Its been my experience that if I practice with 470, my 450-400 feels like a pussycat..If I shoot my 404 then my 375 and 9,3x62 feels like a 250-3000..Its worked for me and its worth a try, but it may not work for everyone, I speak only for myself..May just be another way to skin a cat.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Its been my experience that if I practice with 470, my 450-400 feels like a pussycat..If I shoot my 404 then my 375 and 9,3x62 feels like a 250-3000..Its worked for me and its worth a try, but it may not work for everyone, I speak only for myself..May just be another way to skin a cat.

This is my method also! I’m not saying it’s THE method, but as Ray said, I only speak for myself also.

I seem so far, to be able to shoot anything up to and including my 404 Jeffery with no conscious/subconscious correcting. But when I get to my 458 Lott with 500 gr. bullets at 2,300 fps, I find I need to ‘bear down’ on my grip and cheek weld. But, when I shoot my 505 Gibbs with 600 gr. bullets at 2,150 fps., I need to ‘talk myself’ into getting ready for the upcoming recoil. Obviously, this last level of recoil is too much for me, and is the most powerful rifle I own. I shoot it, so that when I pick up my 458 Lott, it no longer seems to produce recoil. It makes me wonder if I had a more powerful rifle than my 505 Gibbs, would shooting it, tame my perceived recoil from the Gibbs?! I don’t know. Probably not…

I also think if I shot my 505 Gibbs a lot more, I may eventually get accustomed to its recoil. But at $20/round, I tend to not do so.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be surprised surefire I kept my light 505 Gibbs IMP around learning to handle my Searcy 470 and that worked!! I think were on to something at least its working for us..Shooting squib loads in the 470 never worked for me..

Im of the opine that those practicing squibe loads are probably overcoming a mental block, and if that works, and I suspect it does, then don't change your program..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, you said your Gibbs is a ‘light’ 505 IMP. My 505 weighs 8.5 lbs. A bit light for a 505 (!), but it was what I wanted. How light is your 505 IMP.?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My capsticks #2 came out with irons at 7.25 lbs, my young thinking was I carried a rifle more than I shot it..NOT ....

Years later I performed the same stupidity with a 505 Gibbs IMP at 7 plus lbs, it knocked some since in me that time...

Apparently my recoil tolerance turned out to be a heavy 470 Scercy loaded mild and the 40 calibers, and remained so until 2022, today its about a 300 H&H and a 9.3x62. That Gibbs cut heavy framed pair of glasses in half and a half moon in my forehead and went down the road for that misbehavior..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
At those rifle weights you won't need Mucinex to clear out your sinuses.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That must have been an ‘enlightening’ experience Ray. Wow! 7 lbs…..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its an enlightened experience just trying to build a 7 lb 505, took a lot of thought, that went south after two shots, first one near center, second one hit dirt half way to the target, and turned my face into hamburger!, well almost or so it seemed!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120