THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What scope for a 416 Remington for plainsgame, generally hunting and eventually buff
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for a 416 Remington for plainsgame, generally hunting and eventually buff Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Leupold VX-5 2-10x42

Leupold VX=6 2-12x42

Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42

Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40

This is the range I am looking for. I am thinking hardest about the Leupold VX-5 2-10x42 even though it isn't the cheapest, but I reckon that it will be more 416 recoil resistant than the others.

Is there another 1/2 to 10 range scope that would be a better option?

Posts: 7764 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Leupold 4x compact worked fine on my 416 RM out to extended ranges 5" eye relief and sturdy. Currently using Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Leupold 2.5 x 8 and it works great.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1097 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that Swaro on mine.

Posts: 10123 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have the Trijicon 1.5x4 on mine. But it's the Rigby version. Post with illuminated triangle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luepold 1.5-5 on mine bit mine is a 416 Taylor.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1023 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the options you gave, I would go with the Leupold VX-5 HD 2x10. If I were suggesting this is one time where I would look at a Leupold VX 6 1-6. I like the fire dot.

Posts: 10692 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Word of caution on the Trijicon Huron scopes - I was looking for a new scope for a 30-06 I just put together and figured I'd take a look at them. While the build quality and optics are impressive for the price, the eye relief is WAAAY short. I read the specs and didn't believe it until I tried it in person. No way I'd put that on an '06, let alone a bigger boomer than that. I really wanted to try them, but I'm not getting nailed in the forehead to do it.

Of the optics you listed, I'd go with either of the Leupolds. The olde tyme 1.5-5 is hard to beat, though. That's what my 416 currently wears.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mounted a 3X9 Ziess Conquest on my .416 Rem and Rigby and both have served me extremely well. Used the Remington in the Selous on Buff without a hitch. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2347 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a Mod 70 416 Rem with a VX6 2X12 X 42 on mine in Tally detachables. Also a VX6 1X6 X 24 in Tally detachables as a back up.
I really like the VX6 2X12 (Illuminated)
Took Kudu at 250 yda, Zebra ar 100 yds, bush pig at 30 yds.
Could have shot any number of Cape Buffalo from 50-200 yds easy.

When I put that rifle together the VX 5 2X10X 42 was not available. If I were to do it again today I would go that route and save a few $$; 2X10X42 Illum. or a Meopta R2 1.7 X 10 X42 Illum.

All versatile combinations.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Word of caution on the Trijicon Huron scopes - I was looking for a new scope for a 30-06 I just put together and figured I'd take a look at them. While the build quality and optics are impressive for the price, the eye relief is WAAAY short. I read the specs and didn't believe it until I tried it in person. No way I'd put that on an '06, let alone a bigger boomer than that. I really wanted to try them, but I'm not getting nailed in the forehead to do it.

Of the optics you listed, I'd go with either of the Leupolds. The olde tyme 1.5-5 is hard to beat, though. That's what my 416 currently wears.

The Trijicon Accupoint is the one you want. Not the Huron.

Nice thing about it is the dual illumination. No batteries to wear out. Fiber optic illuminated in the day, Tritium illuminated in darker conditions.

This reticle makes for fast shooting with both eyes open up close and personal. Use the very tip of the triangle for more precise placement at longer distances. Perfect for a gun like a 416.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I think you're in the right range.

I now have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 mm scope with a duplex reticle on my .416 Rem. Mag.

That makes it quite versatile, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13364 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:

The Trijicon Accupoint is the one you want. Not the Huron.

Nice thing about it is the dual illumination. No batteries to wear out. Fiber optic illuminated in the day, Tritium illuminated in darker conditions.

This reticle makes for fast shooting with both eyes open up close and personal. Use the very tip of the triangle for more precise placement at longer distances. Perfect for a gun like a 416.

tu2 my 416 REM has a Skinner aperture sight but my 375 H&H wears a Trijicon 1-4 with the green post. It is everything the above writer said. I think it is a perfect dangerous game scope.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I think you're in the right range.

I now have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 mm scope with a duplex reticle on my .416 Rem. Mag.

That makes it quite versatile, IMHO.
tu2

Posts: 7764 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually have a 2-8 or something 1 inch Kahles.

But I don't have a 1 inch Blaser mount, and I have multiple 30mm excess mounts.

I am pretty sure I had that 2-8 on my M70 375 that I owned, but it has been over 7 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seth,

I don't see any reason for 10 power on a 416 nor do I think you need the lowest power variable. I'm pretty much convince the 2.5x8 Leupold is just perfect for 375 or 416 if you plan to use the rifle for everything. If you are thinking mostly DG I'm a low power variable Trijicon fan. That no electric post reticle is the bomb. I have the amber and the red. I like the amber the best.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12852 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a 1X??? maybe 4 or 5 on mine. As I have gotten older, This just didn't do it for me any longer. I went with the Swarovski 1.7 X 10. I love it. Wish I would have done it years ago.

Posts: 11929 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done what Larry has done. Love it...

Posts: 10123 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross and Larry,

Thanks, I think most people see it as a classic decision of the 1-4 or 1-5.

I really like more magnification on the top end.

I can't see giving up much at 2x over 1x at nose kicking range.

Handcapping it and not being able to see something when you need 10x.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue has been scope size.

These newer high mod range scopes 2x12; 2x10, 3x18, 4.5x14 are no bigger than a 3x9 scope of old.

Scopes have come a long way since 1995 even.

Posts: 10692 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bingo

Posts: 11929 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Used my 416 RM / Leupold fixed 4x with hold-over estimated to down an Elk at about 400 yards. Elk kill zone & the like is big enough proved to myself it can be done. Higher magnification variable scope is nice but heavier/bulkier to pack around.

Nikon Monarch3 1-4x20mm / 100m target board

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Swaro Z6i in 1-6 on my .416 and don't think you could get a better scope for that caliber. I use an identical scope on my light rifle (only not illuminated), if that says anything about how much I like that scope.

The beauty of the Z6i 1X6 is it's plenty of magnification for any reasonable range with a .416 and I've made shots at or over 300 yards with mine. And, perhaps more importantly, and I disagree with some on here about not needing a true one power, when you are in the thick stuff tracking, whether anything was wounded or not, crank it down to one power and turn on the lights. You have a red-dot. That is faster than irons with a detachable scope. Has given me a lot of comfort when tracking lion and buffalo.

Posts: 9970 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of which were wounded by the way.

Posts: 9970 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I use the Swaro Z6i in 1-6 on my .416 and don't think you could get a better scope for that caliber. I use an identical scope on my light rifle (only not illuminated), if that says anything about how much I like that scope.

The beauty of the Z6i 1X6 is it's plenty of magnification for any reasonable range with a .416 and I've made shots at or over 300 yards with mine. And, perhaps more importantly, and I disagree with some on here about not needing a true one power, when you are in the thick stuff tracking, whether anything was wounded or not, crank it down to one power and turn on the lights. You have a red-dot. That is faster than irons with a detachable scope. Has given me a lot of comfort when tracking lion and buffalo.

Yep, that one power with the lighted reticle when going into the thick stuff after DG, as Mark said, "is the bomb"!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know why anyone would want a big bodied 10x or greater power scope on a .416.
Swarovski, Zeiss and Schmidt & Bender all make a 1X-4, 1x-6, and 1X-8. Having a true one power scope
that you can shoot with both eyes open is a big advantage and a red dot makes them about the ultimate . I am a Schmidt & Bender fan and have never had a S&B fail. I use the S&B 1.1-4 Flash Dot 7 on my .416 .
I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase a used S&B if the scope doesn’t look like it has been abused .

Posts: 664 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay, i'll say it ...
the 416 isn't a heavy big bore .. i like a 2x7 on mine .. as long as there is eye relief .. which is the most critical factor for me.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38424 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can not shoot with both eyes open. I am right handed and left eye dominant.

I can not shoot left handed.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Should've mentioned earlier, but one scope I tried to locate but couldn't at the time is the now-discontinued Leupold 1.75-6x32. I could grumble for a few pages on the fact they jettisoned it from the lineup, but it's probably one of the best all-around scopes they ever made. Along with the 2.5-8, you could put those on everything from a DG rifle to a varmint gun and be in pretty good shape. They also keep the form factor small and have great eye relief.

Maybe give a quick search and see if you can find one. Since my original search, I've actually seen new ones in the box for sale at reasonable prices.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Jeffe, the .416 isn't a heavy. In years past it would be considered a medium bore and that's how I think of it. It just works for everything, shoots as far as I want to and I don't need more than 6 power to do any of that. And I like a true one power illuminated because I do shoot with both eyes open.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I can not shoot with both eyes open. I am right handed and left eye dominant.

I can not shoot left handed.

Then you should check out the S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42MM my favorite all around scope out to 300 yds plus great for those up close shots, and dusk and dawn shooting . The Leupold 2.5-8x36 is a solid scope and has been always a go to scope. Both of those two brands/models have proven to be rugged and reliable with hard use.

Posts: 664 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I am right handed and left eye dominant.

I have long wondered, in that situation, say you are shooting someone else's rifle, did you notice a parallax issue?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38424 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10x is not too much on any rifle up to .416 bore these days, given the enormous advances in optics over the past few years.

I find a big advantage with a 10x scope, as compared with a 6x, even at 100 yards.

Maybe it's just my aging eyeballs, but I don't think so.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the eye relief on the scope. High power scopes are often shorter eye relief. I like 4" of eye relief on a big bore scope as I am kind of a stock crawler.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting Mike. I can only think of one scope I own that goes to 10 power at the moment. I really don't like big objectives because the scope gets too high, which creates a whole myriad of issues from cant to not getting a good cheek weld.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian raises a great point on eye relief, especially if you might shoot prone or nearly so. Only time I've ever been cut was sight in in the Selous of my backup .375, laying over the hood of the gari. Rifle was a bit too short for me and PH called the shot good, but I said I wanted another, so I wiped the blood out of my eye and made an even better shot -- holding back a bit so I didn't get cut again. You may need more eye relief in field positions than you need from the bench on the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sufficient eye relief is, of course, important, and can be had on any quality scope these days. 3.5 inches or so is plenty for me, even for a big bore.

Proper length of pull eliminates stock crawling.

My low range variables go on my .458 and .500 caliber bolt rifles.

In my view and experience, a .416 is far closer to a .375 than a true big bore.

That cuts both ways.

A .416 can be a PG rifle, where higher magnification in a scope can be useful, if not game-changing.

Or it can be a DG rifle, where the lower end of the range, or no scope at all, may be preferred.

My Leupold rides my .416 Rem. Mag. in Talley QD rings. The rifle has serviceable and zeroed iron sights, too.

If follow up at close quarters were needed, the scope would come off.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to do that -- detach scope when it got close -- and still have working irons on the rifle, but with my old eyes, I really prefer going to 1 power and the red dot. Each of us have our preferences. Do what works for you.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
1-6x Accupoint is what I would get.

I have a 1.5-5 Leupold on my 404J and a 1.75-5 Burris on my 458.

If I was buying today, I'd get the 1-6x Accupoint.

I have a 1.5-6x42 and 2.5-10x42 Zeiss Victory for my 375 H&H.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3035 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote