THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What scope for a 416 Remington for plainsgame, generally hunting and eventually buff
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for a 416 Remington for plainsgame, generally hunting and eventually buff Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I used to do that -- detach scope when it got close -- and still have working irons on the rifle, but with my old eyes, I really prefer going to 1 power and the red dot. Each of us have our preferences. Do what works for you.

Absolutely. I have used variables turned down to low power (1.5x to 2.5x) on follow ups, too. They do the job.

I have a U.S. Optics SVS 1-6x24 variable with a 34 mm main tube and illuminated 2 MOA red dot mounted on one of my ARs. Talk about fast target acquisition!

I have been tempted to put it on one of my DGRs. I'm sure it would work well.

But on a .375 or a .416, I appreciate the higher top end magnification. Especially as it can be had in a fairly compact and light scope these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I am right handed and left eye dominant.

I have long wondered, in that situation, say you are shooting someone else's rifle, did you notice a parallax issue?

I do not as I adjust everything to fit me. That and it is very rare for me to use someone elses rifle.

My 2nd and 3rd oldest daughters are also cross eye dominant. On is just like me Right hand, left eye, the other is left hand right eye.

The 4th oldest daughter is 5, and I can't seem to explain it to her so I am not sure.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard and I've never had this problem, it's best to learn to shoot with the dominant eye, regardless of which hand is dominant.
and that makes sense to me. Fortunately, I'm right eye dominant and while I was a leftie when I was born my parents forced me to use my right hand, so shooting right handed isn't a problem.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
At 46, and after 40 years of shooting that way it would be hard to unlearn it.

I do shoot shotguns left handed very well and right handed very poorly. Operating a bolt rifle with my left hand isn't something that works for me.

My father forced me to figure out how to use my right eye. He used to tape my left eye shut.

My kids mostly shoot long range and 22's and they all shoot the same rifles off of a bipod with a rear bag.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Agree as above regarding 1x low end. And some scopes have extended eye-relief (EE).

I personally prefer Swaro Z6 1-6x24 non-illuminated EE models for .375+.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Cross-eye dominance is very common in women. My daughters are right-handed but lweft-eye dominant and learned to shoot with a target dot over the center of the left lens of their safety glasses.

Decent eye relief and proper LOP would be my main goals. At least 6x on the top end, up to 9x or so at the max, would be my goal. 1-3x on the bottom.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todays hunters seem to lean towards big ugly fragile varibles on big bores or any other bore size..I just don't get it, but hey its a choice to be made by each...

In a varible which I denounce for dG, the 2x7x28 would be my choice..That said on a 416 I prefer a 3X or 4X Leupold fixed with Talley QD rings that I can take off in a hurry and use the irons..
The 416s are a very versitale caliber in that the 300 and 350 gr. bullets shoot very flat, and the 400s and 450s are hammers..Ive shot a lot of camp meat and PG with the 300 gr. bullets, its as good for open country as the 375 or 30-06 for that matter, close enough anyway..Its only downside could be recoil in many cases...

I only use it for buffalo and have used it for PG meat for the table, not by choice but because I reached the point wherein I only liked traveling with one gun...otherwise I have no real use for the caliber on PG, deer or elk or for NA in general, prefer the 06 or 7x57 with possibly the exception of the big bears, but push come to shove I would not hesitate to use a 30-06 with proper bullets on the big bears, and a good guide for back up which I doubt would have to step in and save my bacon, but just knowing he was there would put me in a better mood! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of your listed choices, I would go with the Swarovski 1.7-10x42. I really like those scopes on 338’s and below. It is a favorite.
I like straight tubed scopes on my 375 H&H length actions. They are simpler for me to achieve my eye relief with the rings and bases that I use. I currently have a 1.1-4x24 on my 416 Remington and a 1-6x24 on a 375 H&H. My 416 Rugers have a 1-6.3x24 and a 1.1-4. My 375 Rugers have 1.1-4x24 and 1.5-8x42.

I had a 1.5-8x42 on the 416 Ruger prior to the 1-6.3x24. I replaced it because the 1.5-8 did not return from having some modifications in time for hunting season. The 42mm has some benefit in extremely low light. I have also used a 1.5-6x42 on a 416 Ruger.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

quote:
Leupold VX-5 2-10x42

Leupold VX=6 2-12x42

Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42

Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40

This is the range I am looking for. I am thinking hardest about the Leupold VX-5 2-10x42 even though it isn't the cheapest, but I reckon that it will be more 416 recoil resistant than the others.

Is there another 1/2 to 10 range scope that would be a better option?

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
shoot right hand, left eye dominant.. my .416 rem M70 wears a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40.. heavy duplex.. in leupold QRW rings..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 on a custom Rem 700 in 375 H&H magnum AI which I have used in southern Africa. Use in the Fall during whitetail hunting also. Like this scope so much that I purchased a second which I installed on a CZ550 in 450Rigby. In Africa this second combo has been very successful for me on buffalo and on down.

Posts: 59 | Location: New England | Registered: 02 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is getting a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 with circle dot reticle.

My 375 H&H wears a Leupold VX6 1-6 with circle dot reticle.

I like circle dot reticles, and have never liked high magnification when hunting.

Have shot quite a few critters with straight 6's and most of my variables set between 4 and 6.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best scope I've had on my 416RM was a 1-6.3x24 Leica. If money wasn't an object I would get a Swarovski Z8i 1-8 hands down.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you added Buffalo or DG you changed the picture, I sure don't trust varibles and big belled scopes on DG, they mostly work but when the fail, its a shit sandwich and you have to eat it..but we have a choice as individuals and thats a good thing I suspect.

I like the 3X and my 375 has a Leupold Alaskan 2.5X option, along with a 4X for an extra...they switch off well and remain zeroed with a little custom work..I never been hampered taking shots with the lower power scopes.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted with a scope on any of my 40+ caliber rifles.

This week, I bought and mounted a new Leupold FXII 2.5 on my 404 Jeffery. Took her to the range yesterday, and fell in love with it after I sighted her in. We'll see. I think I will take her back to Africa for a Buffalo hunt and try it out. It'll be a first for me, DG w/scope 40+ caliber, so I am kind of excited, even though I've taken Buff with a scoped 375 H&H before.

Now the only question is when will all of this COVID crap of 72 hr. testing, travel with masks, etc. be over?

Africa/Buffalo dreams...

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surefire,
Spot on, a good set of irons is all one needs for DG, short of Leopard from a blind, thats where a scope helps to some degree...I like barrel mounted shallow V sights for buff, elephant, hippo, and also for an all around for Africa, where even PG are mostly shot at under 200 yards, unless one is a long range shooter type..then ascopes it will be. I like the opertunity to make an instant choice, but unlike most my primary is irons, and on ocassion I can stick my 4x on the gun, most folks do the same but the scope is primary, in fact those folks may never take the scope off has been my observation and conversation with them, irons are for pretty and nostalgia of old Africa to them..irons are for a few old gray headed curmudgeons who still hunt elk with a 30-30 if the notions occurs to them..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .416 has a swaro z6i 1-6 ee. You could even bring a higher power scope in detach mounts as a backup

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How far do you want to shoot? I use the 2.5-8X Leupold on my 375 H&H but I limit it to 300 yards on game animals. All my serious deer/Elk guns have 3-9X and I'll shoot deer/antelope out to 400 yards with those.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having built a fair number of big calibers, I find most experienced hunters go for the lower powers...1-6 really seems to cover all the bases

In fact, it's reasonable that the 1-6 would work plumb swell for just about any big game rifle

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Most animals you need a 416 for do not need magnifying!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My bear rifles have had variables on them forever but they have never been over 2 or 2.5 except on the bench. Most of the time they are on 1.5.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a 3X Leupold, Talley QDs and a set of shallow V irons on the barrel, or if you must carry a Talley detachable peep in your pocket and skip the barrel mounted rear sight..All my rifles are set up with one of those features...I use irons and wouldn't own a rifle without them..The last thing I want is a scope between me and a disgruntled buffalo,Hippo, Lion, elephant or bear at spitt,en range, a damn scope in the way. pissers

why anyone needs a scope over 4X on any DG is beyond me, and I have seen more than a few times hunters trying to find a buffalo on the highest power and the animal walked away or someone else killed his buff for instance and that happens with experienced hunters as well as newbies!! Absolutly no need for varibles, and no need to magnify a buffalo or elephant for goodness sake, and I hope you never face a charging Lion on 12X..but you won't live to post it on AR! I know Im wasting my breath, but maybe someone will survive an incident based on my post, that would be worth the post...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seth, I just got in another 22 scopes from my friend who is downsizing....Leupold, Zeiss, Kahles. Many are safari scopes; 1-4 or 1.75-6, etc. Let me know when you decide what you want.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gotta agree with Duane here. I use a 1x6 on both my .416 and my light rifle, which is a .30-06. No need for more magnification. I'm not a sheep hunter and won't shoot much past 300 yards. I like the true one power, especially on DG.

This year, I'm trying something for the first time. A one rifle safari, for lion, buffalo X4 and a few other things I haven't picked up, like a croc, roan, klipspringer, Defassa waterbuck and an East African Greater Kudu. And targets of opportunity of course. I'll take my .416 with a 1X6 Swaro illuminated, with a 1.5 -5 Leupold as a backup scope, and irons, of course.

While that rifle might not be considered ideal for all of what I'm after, it will definitely work for everything. The only things I feel at all handicapped on are the croc and perhaps the kudu, but only on shots over 100 yards on a croc or over 300 yards on the kudu. Which I'll pass.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most shooting in Africa isn't over 150 yards if the PH is worth his salt..MY one exception on DG was a walking Buffalo at 125 yards with PH van Heerden, with irons and a tree for rest, I shot, he tipped over and fell..The PH named him the teapot bull, he just tipped over like one pours tea out of a pot he said..always shot most PG and camp meat at under a 100 yds with the exception of a So. African hunt where Philip Price who made me shoot no matter how far they were, trying to see if he could make me miss, Ihad a 338 with a 3X Leupold, made some awesome shots, all filmed...Phillip was one of the best PHs Ive ever known or hunted with,he told my wife I was the best shot he had ever had on safari, rotflmo Ive had my bad days for sure, I recall a couple of safaris wherein I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a base fiddle . I shoot well when I feel well, I shoot bad with I don't feel well, its an age thing all will have to deal with sooner or later..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leupold VX-5 2-10x42

This is the range I am looking for. I am thinking hardest about the Leupold VX-5 2-10x42 even though it isn't the cheapest, but I reckon that it will be more 416 recoil resistant than the others.

I just got one of those VX-5's with the firedot. At 2x there is some fisheye. Apparently that is common to the low magnification end of low-power variables. Precious few have true 1x and no fisheye.

I don't know if it will make a difference in use for me, I was not interested in the 2x.

I LOVE the firedot.

I do wish the crosshairs were thicker, but they are OK. My older Vari-X II has the heavy duplex reticle, with the firedot that would be awesome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:
Leupold VX-5 2-10x42

I just got one of those VX-5's with the firedot. At 2x there is some parallel distortion.

I don't know if it will make a difference in use for me, I was not interested in the 2x.

I LOVE the firedot.

I do wish the crosshairs were thicker, but they are OK. My older Vari-X II has the heavy duplex reticle, with the firedot that would be awesome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one really needs a 10X to 20X to shoot a buffalo at 30 yards, be sure and use the 20X or highest power on all DG..

In the meantime I been hampered down with a 3X or 4X Leupold fixed, and one 1.x5 Leupold varible that stayed on 3X 99.9% of the time..even for deer and elk, it seemed to work..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Most animals you need a 416 for do not need magnifying!

I think Phil has succinctly written my feelings as well.

But I suppose it depends how many rifles one is planning to take on safari. If I were only taking one rifle, and both PG & DG were on the license, I could see the wisdom of some scope power on a 40+ rifle I guess.

But that is the reason our forefathers invented the three-rifle battery of a light, medium and large bore. I have taken a (3) rifle battery on several occasions to Africa, and it has been a joy to have them all for the many variety of animals one can take on license.

After hauling three rifles to Africa repeatedly, I have decided I can do with two rifles just about as well as three, so I have pretty much eliminated the light rifle from my battery, unless DG are not on license. I am usually always hunting at least Buff, so a large bore (usually a 404 Jeffery or 458 Lott), and a medium bore (a 338WM, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62 or 375 H&H), seem to cover all the bases.

But with the scoped medium (2.5-8 Leupold on all mediums), I have the optical power for any and all PG, and the large bore is for DG, so it really doesn't need a scope in my opinion, but I think the 2.5 fixed on my Jeffery may be a great new experiment. Plus ALL of my rifles have back up irons, with all scopes on Talley QR rings.

Besides, I have never been comfortable with only one rifle in Africa. Murphy is still alive and well in the universe, and I have always believed in the saying, 'One is none, and two is one'. Plus, I receive no joy hunting with someone else's rifle, unless my life depends upon it!

Furthermore, I am a rifle looney. I wouldn't dream of leaving some of my pride & joy rifles at home in a safe when I could take one more on safari!

This is just my philosophy of safari life, and need not infringe upon anyone else's opinion.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
let's talk about the lion in the room.

lots of folks "swear" by leupold 1.5x5 it's warranty --"ifin it's wrong, send it back, leupold will make it right" ..

bull spit

I have owned ~10 of these, and sent back 6 ... meaning a 60% failure rate (in my small N) when I am using something else..

1.5x5 scopes are prone to fail, DARK, and heavy crosshairs.

"okay, jeffe, so what do you use while the leupold is in the shop?"

used to use tasco titan JANANESE MADE scopes - the chinese made scopes are just junk

Nikon monarch scopes are/were EXCELLENT scopes - too bad Nikon left the market -

as for "animals needing a 416 don't need a scope" .. sigh ... i have taken everything, except turkeys, that is legal for a Texas hunting license with 0.4x or bigger.. moles, rabbits, water jugs ...... deer, pigs... gnu..elk... bison...eland, and I shoot a scope better than I shoot irons, with my "experienced" eyes .. as does everyone else with "experienced" eyes...

there were days that I was faster/quicker with irons... sure enough... those days are something like 30 years behind me

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your Leupold scopes Jeffeosso!

I own nearly 200 rifles, about 2/3 of them scoped, all with Leupolds, and have never had a problem with any of them.

Perhaps I'm blessed or just plain lucky with scopes, but I love these Leupolds. I am not discounting your experience, and I believe you, but I cannot concur with the same experiences. 60% failure rate for you is astounding. Sorry to hear that!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I just had another thought.

As I have read and enjoyed Jeffeosso's writing, it occurred to me that he likes & shoots a lot of really BIG bores.

As I have said before, I don't scope 40+ rifles (except for my new experiments with the 2.5 fixed on my Jeffery), so my experience with Leupold scopes on big bores is next to nil. I have never had problems with Leupolds on my small & medium bores.

So Jeffeosso, would you mind telling me what failures you've experienced on those (6) rifles? Were they on your numerous large bores, or also on your small and medium bores?

I really want to know and I am asking in earnest in order to learn something, before I begin a road of mounting scopes on my big bores.

Thanks for your advice!

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
So Jeffeosso, would you mind telling me what failures you've experienced on those (6) rifles? Were they on your numerous large bores, or also on your small and medium bores?

I really want to know and I am asking in earnest in order to learn something, before I begin a road of mounting scopes on my big bores.

Thanks for your advice!
I'd also be curious for the same reason. Please do share!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sorry, in review, it was a mix of 1x4 and 1.5x5
i find ALL of them darker than i would expect

one was a broken/fallen cross hair, one had the windage turret fail, the others, after heavy 416 or 458 shooting, failed to keep square when sighting in .. that is, 10 click down, 10 clicks over, 20 clicks up, 20 over, etc..

I would send them back Leupold would rebuild them, and I'd trade them off.

btw, the china titans are junk

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jeffeosso!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swaro Z6 1x6 is bright. Small and lightweight. Perfect for a big bore or any other rifle. Pricey, but worth it.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
My 416 wears a VX6 1X6 and I have been very happy with it!

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh my goodsness!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using the 1.7-10 swaro for a number of years now.

I used to have the 1-6 on it.

With the illuminated reticle, I have no issues using it (1.7-10) as a red dot. The extra magnification helps with smaller animals (duiker and such) and so far they have held up to the recoil of 400 grains at 2400 very well.

To me, they are do anything rifles, like the .375, only a bit more power. I have shot kudu and lechwe past 300 with mine.

Illumination makes them better in low light or up close.

I’ve had bad luck with the leupold 2.5-8. Had 2 that went belly up at bad times. Lots of guys love them, but I got rid of all but one and that’s on a 7x57 that I don’t use much.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something all shooters should do it fire a few 3 shot or 5 shot groups with a 2.5X scope then do the same with the scope on its high end..or even go with a 4X and a high end power scope..

Ive seen many hunters at my request try this, and all but one shot best on low power..low power hides your wiggle, high powder enhances the wiggle, you tend to grab the trigger as the cross hairs flash by with hi power, Do yourself a favor give it a try..Ive done the same with irons at 50 and 100 yards and made money most of the time...but todays hunters use rests of all makes and models, even homemade, and that may work pretty well on high power,

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120