THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    WHAT'S BETTER THAN A 577 T-REX TYRANNOSAUR RIFLE - "TWO" 577 T-REX RIFLES

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT'S BETTER THAN A 577 T-REX TYRANNOSAUR RIFLE - "TWO" 577 T-REX RIFLES Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
WHAT'S BETTER THAN A 577 T-REX TYRANNOSAUR RIFLE - "TWO" 577 T-REX RIFLES

Hello All,

You may recall my post from last year where I finally found an original A-Square 577 T-Rex rifle. I was over-joyed. I had searched for nearly 5 years to find one. Here's the link and a picture of that rifle.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1072942?r=2431074942

So as my heading states - What's better than a 577 T-Rex - "TWO" 577 T-Rex rifles. Once I started searching, it only took 4 days to find this second one in a Gun Shop in Tennessee. And this one's a REAL DANDY ...

Here are some pictures.

This one has some really nice wood, a single standing rear sight, and an M8 2x EER Leupold Scope, in a set of Custom A-Square's QD Quick-Detachable Rings. All you do is flip the lever, and twist off the scope. Put it back on in reverse, and the rifle's back in scope mode. Never loses Zero. Slick!

The Scout rifle scope mounting is perfect for a heavy recoiling Dangerous Game rifle. It accomplishes 2 things. First, and most important, it keeps your face "way back" away from the scope so you don't have to worry about being tagged by the scope during recoil. And Second, it keeps the action area clear for "fast-topping-off" if more shots are needed.

As many of my previous posts have shown, I love guns with stories. And the T-Rex has an everlasting story. This is one of the few guns that has an iconic youtube video that's been seen by thousands of Gun Enthusiasts, all over the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmZBGbcsNg

Every time I show-off the T-Rex at the range, or at a gun show, or just show it to visiting gun friends, they instantly recognize the rifle as; "That's the Dinosaur Gun from the Internet!" .... and now they're gonna say; "You got 2 of them - WOW"

The famous T-REX even has a wikipedia reference on Google. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577_Tyrannosaur

If anyone knows of another one for sale ... let me know. I would love to have 3. Smiler

As always, your comments are most welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
You are a lucky man, sir! What I wouldn't give to have a couple rounds with those things. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I missed a left handed 495 ceaser one time..still regret missing the buy on that rifle...looks like you have 2 barrels of fun there

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
You are a lucky man, sir! What I wouldn't give to have a couple rounds with those things. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Hello Clayman,
Thanks for the reply.

Come visit, and I'll let you shoot one / or both.

quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
I missed a left handed 495 ceaser one time..still regret missing the buy on that rifle...looks like you have 2 barrels of fun there

Hello 505ED,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure which of my A-Square rifles I like best. The German proofed 416 Rigby ranks right up there.

Here's the results of my range test of the new T-REX. I shot the "fun" load 20 times and absorbed a lot of recoil. This was my final target. I almost forgot to mention that I was clicking elevation "up" between shots 3 an 5. Last shot of the 5-shot group is the one that hit dead center and cut the number "25". Now I'm ready to keep all the rogue elephants in check here in Wisconsin.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix,

Nice shootin'. BOOM

Good work on upgrading your .577 Tyrannosaur collection.

Much classier on the second one.

The third one will have to have a checkered steel buttplate and short LOP, for the pilgrims to shoot when they come visit the guru, and want to impress.
(Impress their shoulders with a checkered steel pattern.)
Also, keep a good supply of fresh and springy rubber recoil pads cut to fit inside a slip-on leather pad.

Synthetic stock and muzzle brake on the fourth one ?

.458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM PERFECTION
tu2
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nice wood on those rifle stocks. If you carved them back to human proportions, they would be beautiful. Big Grin

I long ago concluded that .577 T-Rex rifles were overkill for all big game. Meaning, they take things a fair bit past the point of diminishing returns.

IMHO, the most needed, as in absolute most, can be had using .510 caliber bullets, at 570 to 600 grains in weight, at about 2,500 fps MV.

But as a matter of pure principle, I do like the .577 T-Rex.

Just as I like the .600 Overkill! Cool Big Grin

Congrats!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Don't need a spotting scope to see those holes lol. Nice shooting

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Buckstix,

Nice shootin'. BOOM

Good work on upgrading your .577 Tyrannosaur collection.

Much classier on the second one.

The third one will have to have a checkered steel buttplate and short LOP, for the pilgrims to shoot when they come visit the guru, and want to impress.
(Impress their shoulders with a checkered steel pattern.)
Also, keep a good supply of fresh and springy rubber recoil pads cut to fit inside a slip-on leather pad.

Synthetic stock and muzzle brake on the fourth one ?

Hello RIP,
Thanks for the reply.

If I can get a 3rd one, I'd have 25% for the T-Rex production.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Nice wood on those rifle stocks. If you carved them back to human proportions, they would be beautiful. Big Grin

I long ago concluded that .577 T-Rex rifles were overkill for all big game. Meaning, they take things a fair bit past the point of diminishing returns.

IMHO, the most needed, as in absolute most, can be had using .510 caliber bullets, at 570 to 600 grains in weight, at about 2,500 fps MV.

But as a matter of pure principle, I do like the .577 T-Rex.

Just as I like the .600 Overkill! Cool Big Grin

Congrats!

Hello Michael Robinson,
Thanks for the reply.

A-Square did offer some custom options with more conventional stocks .. like my 416 Hoffman shown here. But the "Coil-Check" stock, albeit clunky and ugly according to some, really tames recoil down to a much more tolerable level.

According to Art Alphin's book, "Any Shot You Want". These 577 T-Rex bolt guns were requested by African Professional Hunters. They wanted a bolt gun equivalent to the 577 NE. Art just went a bit farther, making a 4-shot bolt gun that launches a 750g bullet at 2460 fps. - maybe a bit overboard.

quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Don't need a spotting scope to see those holes lol. Nice shooting

Hello chuck375,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, a spotting scope is optional. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Buckstix,

Thanks for the offer! What's your setup for bench testing these behemoths? Are you using a lead sled or something similar or shooting them standing off sticks?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Buckstix,

Thanks for the offer! What's your setup for bench testing these behemoths? Are you using a lead sled or something similar or shooting them standing off sticks?

Hello Clayman,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm a retired Design Engineer, so I designed a somewhat sophisticated off-hand shooting platform for testing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix,

Great standing rest you got there.
Outstanding standing rest !
In the photo above, you are truly outstanding in your field as a design engineer ! Cool

Your 750-gr/ 1870 fps T-rex load example has convinced me to go back to 60% fill loads with AA-5744 and use a filler.
You are probably under 40,000 PSI with that load, eh ?
I do not see any GOOD reason for not using a filler with AA-5744.

BAD REASON: I reckon Western Powders just does not recommend it because they do not want to go to the trouble of using filler for the loads they recommend in publication.
Too much trouble to try filler if it will work without filler.
"Who cares about the occasional flyers in reduced loads with no fillers" would be the reasoning. Roll Eyes

When the pilgrims show up to shoot the T-rex, consider your own series of "Champions" videos,
and be sure to cackle like a hyena in the background.
You might consider selecting one of the T-rex collection to set up as a "Flying Rifle" with a crash test dummy outfit, breakaway sight parts, etc.
Not that second one please !

Champion Loads to 65,000 PSI.
750-grainers at 2550 fps and 10,830 ft-lbs KE.
Powder charges will be +170 grains of RL-17 (100% LR) or H4350 (108% LR),
whichever kicks hardest.
Ramshot Hunter at 180 grains charge (108% Loading Ratio) might be tops.

By golly, that is a full 500 fps faster than the old standard .577 NE 3" in a 15-pound DR.
Good ol' Art, bless his heart.
tu2

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buckstix,

Great standing rest you got there.
Outstanding standing rest !
In the photo above, you are truly outstanding in your field as a design engineer ! Cool

Your 750-gr/ 1870 fps T-Rex load example has convinced me to go back to 60% fill loads with AA-5744 and use a filler.
You are probably under 40,000 PSI with that load, eh ?
I do not see any GOOD reason for not using a filler with AA-5744.

BAD REASON: I reckon Western Powders just does not recommend it because they do not want to go to the trouble of using filler for the loads they recommend in publication.
Too much trouble to try filler if it will work without filler.
"Who cares about the occasional flyers in reduced loads with no fillers" would be the reasoning. Roll Eyes

When the pilgrims show up to shoot the T-rex, consider your own series of "Champions" videos,
and be sure to cackle like a hyena in the background.
You might consider selecting one of the T-rex collection to set up as a "Flying Rifle" with a crash test dummy outfit, breakaway sight parts, etc.
Not that second one please !

Champion Loads to 65,000 PSI.
750-grainers at 2550 fps and 10,830 ft-lbs KE.
Powder charges will be +170 grains of RL-17 (100% LR) or H4350 (108% LR),
whichever kicks hardest.
Ramshot Hunter at 180 grains charge (108% Loading Ratio) might be tops.

By golly, that is a full 500 fps faster than the old standard .577 NE 3" in a 15-pound DR.
Good ol' Art, bless his heart.

Hello RIP,
Thanks for the reply,

Yes, its my "Out Standing Rest".

When I called AA and asked them about using a filler with 5744, they told me it was not necessary, but they didn't say it was not recommended. I've used "backing rod" foam in at least 10 different calibers for Big Bore loadings, ranging from 40% to 70% load density. All have worked perfectly. Unlike cornmeal and other synthetic fillers, Backing Rod adds very little weight to the load - typically only 1 - 3 grains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What case (if any) is the 577 T rex based on?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC it is a unique one,
with a head diameter of .688".
The .600 NE head diameter just above the rim is .700".
Please correct me if I am wrong, sumbuddy who know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC it is a unique one,
with a head diameter of .688".
The .600 NE head diameter just above the rim is .700".
Please correct me if I am wrong, sumbuddy who know.

Yes Ron, my first thougts were a 600 Nitro converted to rimless and improved.

What about the 600 OK. Is that based on some existing case and a belt added.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
What case (if any) is the 577 T rex based on?

Hello Mike McGuire,
Thanks for the reply.

Art Alphin designed the case unique to its owm. Head size based on the max he could get on the P-14 bolt face.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see some big bores posted in this forum lol.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck
And I have the parts for the short-necked, rebate-tailed ugly duckling .500 Jeffery still lying fallow.
At least my reamer has a lengthened "Match" throat so I can make better use of the CZ 550 Magnum magazine length.
Just yanking your chain, chuck375.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
What about the 600 OK. Is that based on some existing case and a belt added.

Mike, I forget this stuff too, even though I once visited Rob in Las Vegas,
and fired one of his Granite Mountain .600 OK rifles offhand, WITH A BRAKE.
Lest we forget, a little review.
IIRC, Rob swaged and lathe-turned a .600 NE into a belted and rebate-rimmed case,
rim size of the .505 Gibbs.
Then he had custom brass of high quality made by Horneber and others whom I do not recall.
Here is the .600 Nitro Express from www.ammoguide.com :

Here is the .600 Overkill with some extra dimensions added to represent
actual, loaded ammunition, not just brass maximums.
Properly loaded, it would seem to have a sort of ghost shoulder, a parallel-sided neck, and enough case-body taper to extract well:

I do not know how it is throated, but you know how I would throat it if I ever had one built, just for kicks.

The "relative case capacities" at ammoguide are a comparison by algorithm based on external brass dimensions.
Not the actual internal brass capacity.
Ammoguide "relative" case capacity for the .577 Tyrannosaur is 189.4 gr. water, a little more than the .600 OK.
The .600 OK wins the foot-pounds contest by virtue of its bigger bore.

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

The 600 Nito os .7 on the bases and the 600 OK is .656 so the approximate 10 grains more water capacity for 600 Nitro seems far too small a difference.

Your post answered another question I had . I rembered there was a factpry bolt action for 600 Nitro but could not remember the brand.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Although unrelated to my T-Rex discussion, I too have a variation of a "special" 600 cartridge. The 600 JDJ - ( 577/600 J D JONES )

Case capacity is the same as the 600NE at about 194g water. This is a super fun one because it has a huge muzzle brake and a hydraulic shock absorber in the stock, so I can shoot it from the bench.

Here's the post form 6 years ago.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/1341088891

one of us
posted Hide Post
That .600 JDJ right there is some excellent bang for the buck and the buckstix. It can best a .600 NE DR and even the .577 Tyrannosaur bolt-action
with that kind of muzzle whomp and buttpad whump.

Robgunbuilder's 12ga From Hell based on .50-BMG case with a screwed on rim is a mind boggling and numbing thing for sheer foot-pounds and sectional density.
The mind boggles before the shot, mind numbs after the shot.

I have an equivalent made to fit RMC lathe-turned brass and use hard cast lead slugs, using the old NEF Super Slug rifled shotguns,
with huge muzzle brakes and mercury or lead added.

The bullets ought to stand 30,000 psi at BHN 23 to 25, and I think the brass is good for that.
I learned from Ed Hubel that any amount of RL-17 is reliably ignited with a Magnum 209 shotgun primer.
Yes, I got sucked into this madness, and had a 20-gauge 3.5" version made after my mind had been numbed by the 12-gauge 3.85".
Screw off the brake, and it fires the Hastings factory 20ga-3.5" sabot-slug ammo that is now defunct (got a stash of it).
Screw the brake on for my 920-gr hardcast slug handloads in RMC brass.

I still have a rifled 20-gauge Verney-Carron barrel,
threaded for same huge muzzle brake on the NEF (custom brake by Rusty McGee),
waiting to be put on a Sharps 1874,
will call it the .60-240-900-3.5" Sharps Straight,
if my mind ever un-numbs, and if Rusty accepts the mission.

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun buckstix! It was always my dream calibre. My own 585 wildcat which was about 6 years after the Trex was 201 grains capacity. I remember when the internet kicked off and all the bigbore nuts around the world were getting in touch for the first time, we were comparing notes on sizes and case capacities( as men do! :Smiler. The Trex still beat most things for horsepower in 'normal guns'. It wasnt easy prior to that to get exact numbers, everything was snail mail. Seem to remember some of the Trex brass at the time clocking in close to 220 grains( not A-squares which was thicker from memory, I think it was Hornebers first ever run of it), the 600nitro owners reported about 212 grains, 577 nitro about 195 which is standard, the original 585 Nyati was around 185 grains. Again these were just what was on hand, no doubt it varies by manufacturer.

I emailed Art Alphin in 2010 about doing a 577 Trex. At that point he indicated he could still produce them, and from memory referred to some move to Kentucky that A-square had just made. Obviously things never took off after that move?

As to the Hannibal stock, a finer wooden battle-axe was never concieved. Big Grin I think its neat actually. And its good to see the gun is becoming a classic. For a long time having a Trex on a safari forum was like bringing a rocket powered dragster to a classic car rally.

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
I emailed Art Alphin in 2010 about doing a 577 Trex. At that point he indicated he could still produce them, and from memory referred to some move to Kentucky that A-square had just made. Obviously things never took off after that move?

Karl,
You got some of that wrong.
By 2010 Art Alphin was long gone from Kentucky, and Kentucky is where he was in his most productive period with A-Square Company.
IIRC, circa early 2000's, an ex-con, fired employee's lies got Art & Company raided by ATF when he was in Kentucky.
Seems it was downhill from there.
For a short time A-Square ammo was being produced by another owner of the company name, across the river in Jeffersonville, IN.
That is when they were making ammo for CZ's new .505 Gibbs rifles, branded as CZ ammo
and it would not chamber in my first run CZ .505 Gibbs rifle,
though Jamison brass and RCBS dies made fine ammo for the CZ .505 Gibbs.
I was messing with that in 2005, so A-Square of Kentucky was defunct by then.
Art's wife having a massive stroke in 2010 did not help with business, as he cared for her intensively until she died in 2014.
Other locations for the company name and failing business might include Wyoming, South Dakota, and maybe Montana.
He was talking about a relocation to Butte, Montana in 2008, for A-Square brand ammo production.
That never happened, but Art is now a Firearms and Ballistics Expert for hire, living in Bozeman, Montana.
The A-Square brand has gone the way of the dodo bird, but not Art Alphin. He is still kicking.
From his CV on the web as of 2020:

Arthur Brent Alphin
LTC, U.S. Army (RET.)
2406 Boylan Road
Bozeman, MT 59715

Cell 406-579-8130
Tel. 406-219-2341
Fax. 406-219-3887
E-Mail. arthuralphin@aol.com
Web Site www.ArthurAlphin.com

Lots of good reading at his web site above.

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct Ron about the change of location, I'd remembered it as 'moving to Kentucky' but just found the old email and he said, "just finishing his move from Kentucky to the west and getting the machinery into the new buildings".

However the email is dated November 2009. In it he said he had 'several Trex's in various stages of manufacture' at that time, all accounted for and turn around for mine would be 5 months. Price quoted $4050+ $350 custom express site and a $900 deposit.

I held off and got back in contact with him in April 2010 according to my next mail. Never heard back despite emailing a couple of times. So not sure how that all fits it with the company timeline, at face value the email indicates he was in production. Perhaps planning some sort of comeback with the calibre or company at the time?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Art Alphin story would make a page-turner book.
It would be a big one, including a sorting out of the A-Square Company history,
some of which he probably would rather not talk about.
But so many great accomplishments he had, eh ?
Might take multiple volumes for easier portability.
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very True mate. And thanks for the email address btw. I think you provided it to me on another thread a couple years back. But its reminded me to email him this time. Thought I would see whether he has the time to correspond with an old A-square fan Smiler
Btw buckstix sorry for the short thread hijack.