Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H reduced load Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always wanted a 375 H&H rifle, ever since I was a teenager. I am never going to hunt elk or go to Africa. And I am getting old, I have sold all of my 300WM and 338s.
so I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever downloaded one with Trail Boss, and what kind of bullet would be appropriate for white tails.

thanks

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I've used 220 grainers in the past. It hits them pretty good at shorter ranges.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you care if i ask what brand/style?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-con...duced-loads-2018.pdf

read everything and it tells you how to use trail boss with any bullet in you 375

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra makes a 200 gr. for the .375 Win. Hornady doesn't make their 220 gr. anymore, Vollmer makes some light stuff.

Hip

Posts: 1817 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
They were the 220 Hornadys butas Hipshoot said they are no longer available. FWIW, I find the 9.3x62 is pretty close and hammers everything.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutting Edge Bullets makes a 175gr Maximus that should be hell on wheels with a casefull of RL7.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Cutting Edge Bullets makes a 175gr Maximus that should be hell on wheels with a casefull of RL7.

I cannot be sure, but it sounds like he wants a .375 H&H Mag that will not actually recoil? More like wanting a .38-55WCF in a .375 H&H dress.....you know, as in “all show no go”?

A Lyman 265 grain gas check and Trail Boss would fill the bill.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer makes a 235 grain 375 bullet.

Some where on Hodgdon's site is information on reduced loads using H4895.

Posts: 276 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some Speer 235 grain bullets for practice in my .375 H&H. Hodgsoon powders has what I think they call their 60% rule for using H4895. Using that powder, you can use 60% of the top charge of that powder for a reduced recoil load. I've done that using my grandson's .270. Just enter "Hodgson's 60% rule for H4895" and Google it and I think you'll find the info.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I've used the 235gr Speers on deer and they work quite well. A 375 doesn't kick all that much anyway with proper stock fit and a good recoil pad. Mine weighs a little over 9lbs and it's not uncomfortable to shoot.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've worked up and used 5744 powder and 220 gr Hornady flat nose in my Whitworth. Smacks hogs and deer, also took a large cow elk on texas ranch. Dont remember powder load off hand, but can find it you'd like. Was very accurate as well.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
This is good. Never thought of my .375 H&H as a deer rifle but it will be now. This is "One Gun Duck" land now.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used 225 Hornady and 235 Speer with starting loads of RL15. I believe the 235 were more accurate.

These days I'd just use factory 270/300 loads, anything will work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
Hodgsoon powders has what I think they call their 60% rule for using H4895. Using that powder, you can use 60% of the top charge of that powder for a reduced recoil load. I've done that using my grandson's .270. Just enter "Hodgson's 60% rule for H4895" and Google it and I think you'll find the info.

I did this recently with some extra Hornady 300 grain RN bullets I had. Just wanted something fun and easy to shoot through my 375H&H at the range. I believe the 300 grain bullets chronographed at 1,550 FPS. Very low recoil and a lot of fun. I bet if you used the same H4895 60% loads on lighter bullets, the recoil would be minimal and the FUN level would be High! Good Luck!

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:

I cannot be sure, but it sounds like he wants a .375 H&H Mag that will not actually recoil? More like wanting a .38-55WCF in a .375 H&H dress.....you know, as in “all show no go”?

A Lyman 265 grain gas check and Trail Boss would fill the bill.

yes low recoil

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I shoot deer and wild boars with full load with 300gr Swift A-Frame bullet. One rifle, one load for everything here and there. Works for me from driven game with open sights up to about 300-350 m with Zeiss Victory scope. Doesn't destroy any venison on light game, just clean in and clean out. Except last neck shot on deer. Bullet caught the bone from neck or what and almost cut neck out of the body including skin. Did a lot of neck shots previously with no damage at all.

If I need to download that, I will stick with AA 5744 or Lovex D060 (almost the same powders).

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW this can be wonderful low recoil/reduced load:

https://www.lehighdefense.com/...cturing-185gr-bullet

There are load data (5744 powder) for 375 Ruger, will work nearly the same in .375 H&H.

185gr bullet at 2200 to 2500 fps

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
There is a link below that is very important reloading information for reduced loads for the 375 H&H and also the 375 Ruger using the heavier bullets which will give the near same point of impact at 100 yards as the high-speed loads.
Sincerely,

https://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_big_bore_loads.htm

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd look for bullets designed for 38-55 velocities if you want to use Trailboss in your 375H&H. Hawk makes .375" diameter bullets with jackets as thin as .025", that should give you good expansion at low velocity.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 boxes of old Barnes original 255 gr. bullets in gold boxes!! would be perfect to load down to about 1800 to 2000 FPS in a .375..They may have been made for the 38-55 Win (375 bore)..A perfect whitetail load with little recoil..I suppose Id sell them, I never got around to loading them up, big round nose bullet with lots of lead exposed..Let me know if that's what your looking for..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, i really appreciate it, but something has come up

im back

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dueler, do consider a cast bullet for your purpose!
The data Virginia Creeper linked to is excellent as well. I used 50 grains of 5744 under a 385-grain cast bullet (RCBS mold) in the .416 Rigby with excellent results in terms of both accuracy and reduced recoil.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16348 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot a lot of PG and some deer with the Hornady solids in my .375 and just puts broomstick size hole thru them, and leaves a good blood trail if they run..and just slow any soft point down like a 350 gr. Woodleigh to 1500 or so..will do the same..Solids are not allowed in some states however, and I only used them in the high desert of far west Texas..All that is gained by loading the big bores down is you lower the recoil factor..

There are a lot of options out there for you..even using the .375 with factory ammo or standard loads, you will find it kills light animals no better than a 243 or 250-3000 as the bullets don't open up much and the animals tend to run a long ways many times unless you hit bone..Ive shot PG with my .404, 416, and 470 and they destroy less meat than a 22-250 for instance..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Virginia Creeper:
There is a link below that is very important reloading information for reduced loads for the 375 H&H and also the 375 Ruger using the heavier bullets which will give the near same point of impact at 100 yards as the high-speed loads.
Sincerely,

https://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_big_bore_loads.htm

Thanks for the link I reload for 375H&H and 375RUM could be fun to have some reduced load options for my rifles.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
This is good. Never thought of my .375 H&H as a deer rifle but it will be now. This is "One Gun Duck" land now.

I used my first 375 H&H rifle to shoot birds on the beach!

Did not bother using reduced loads either!

And when I got a 460 Weatherby I did the same too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I download mine using the 300 grain TSX with 67.5 grains of IMR4064 for 2500 fps.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded many Hornady 220 gr. flatpoints intended for the 375 Win. with 40 gr. of IMR 4198 in the 375 H&H Ruger #1. This was to practice off hand shooting at paper targets @ 50 yds. It is a mild and pleasant load.

Used it on feral goats. Whatever velocity generated, it was extremely destructive on the small goats due to the construction of the bullets. Likewise, it should do the same on deer and pigs.

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Same thing for me Saeed, except the birds were not on a beach. Killing power of the 375 and 460 seemed to be the same Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A well stocked 375 HH does not have excessive recoil and is fun to shoot. I load mine with 300 grain Barnes TSX. I have shot everything from Hippo to small Bushbuck with it and many Impala. Less meat damage than what my 308 or 7mm does on the small stuff. My opinion is you are stressing something that you needn’t stress. Get one and enjoy the hunts you can. The 375 IS the one gun that can hunt the entire world !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Over the years Ive shot a ton of PG, mostly for camp meat to feed the staff with a number of big bores using softs at full velocity, they act more like a solid than a soft as a matter of fact, they work..In the .375 use the 285 gr. Speer GS, discontinued but still available at Midway or Graffs?? I bought a total 12 boxes in the last month, that's te extent of my hording...They expand just a tad as they are very hard, and it works well on PG, full throttle or at 1900 FPS.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Over the years Ive shot a ton of PG, mostly for camp meat to feed the staff with a number of big bores using softs at full velocity, they act more like a solid than a soft as a matter of fact, they work..In the .375 use the 285 gr. Speer GS, discontinued but still available at Midway or Graffs?? I bought a total 12 boxes in the last month, that's te extent of my hording...They expand just a tad as they are very hard, and it works well on PG, full throttle or at 1900 FPS.

Ray,

The old 300 grain round nose Hornady used to tear up red kangaroos and pigs.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I need some anyway so ordered 3 boxes. Great price!

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Same thing for me Saeed, except the birds were not on a beach. Killing power of the 375 and 460 seemed to be the same Big Grin

Mike, I only fired 26 shots from my first 460wby. I was 19, the scope was coming loose, the recoil was rattling me a lot. But I managed to put a hornady 500grain factory solid directly through a gum tree about 4 ft thick. At 25 yards too, charging distance Big Grin

Posts: 3530 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my powder-puff loads I prefer to use Red Dot, actually. It is a very "fluffy" powder that fills the case well and always goes bang. I won't get too specific, but start at around 15 grains and work up slowly to where you want to be, and don't go above 25 unless you really know what you are doing and have a pressure gauge.

RD is a VERY fast burning powder, so be really careful not to double-charge a case.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
try sierra 200 gr. flatnose with 40 gr. 4759
very accurate in my rifle about 2200 fps.
this bullet was desighned for 375 winchester

Steve

Posts: 16 | Location: MA. | Registered: 19 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reo:
try sierra 200 gr. flatnose with 40 gr. 4759
very accurate in my rifle about 2200 fps.
this bullet was desighned for 375 winchester

I used to use between 39 and 41 grain of Ausralian 2205 and 220 grain Hornady. Was between 2000-2100 and would shoot 1" all day.. If Hodgdon have it then would be H4227