Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer 270gr 375 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have hunting experience with these on elk/moose size game?
They shoot great out of my h&h

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them a little and got the impression they were just a bit too soft but got the job done most of the time..

I do have boxes of speer grand slams 285 gr. 375 bullets z(discontinued) that proved to be buffalo ready, and good as gold on everything I shot with them. Why they discontinued that bullet is a marvel to me, Speer has a habit of discontinueing their better bullets it seems to me..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I used them a little and got the impression they were just a bit too soft but got the job done most of the time..

I do have boxes of speer grand slams 285 gr. 375 bullets z(discontinued) that proved to be buffalo ready, and good as gold on everything I shot with them. Why they discontinued that bullet is a marvel to me, Speer has a habit of discontinueing their better bullets it seems to me..

I greatly appreciate your input and thoughts on the majority of my posts. I plan to hunt with these a bit after I do some penetration testing, might only use them for elk and caribou and use my other handloads for moose and bear. Got lucky and my rifle seems to shoot most loads to point of aim, the ones that don't only shoot a few inches high but centered left and right. The exception appears to be 300gr partitions so far. I have a few more loads to try with them before i give up on them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im resolved to the 300 gr. bullet in my 375s, and I like the 285 gr Speer Grand Slam they seem to work on any size animal, but lots of good bullets out there these days to pick from

In a monolithic I suggest one might drop down to a 250, as weight and penetration seem to equal the cup and core or bonded core 300 gr bullets.

I'm not overwhelmed with monolithic bullets, and that's just me, I know many folks that swear by them..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Elk and Caribou I can't see any reason not to shoot the 270gr bullet. People shoot them with much smaller calibers and they tip over. I would be willing to bet the bullet would retain 70% or better at modest hunting distances. That is if you are able to recover it.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Why not just shoot 300g A-Frames? Factory ammo available. They will open up on deer or elk, and are excellent for brown bear as well. Ammo is the cheapest part of any hunt.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The 270 Speer is soft in both the 375 and the 9.3 while the 275 Speer is just terrific in the 338. Same bullet form and construction. I chalked it up to simply they are enough wider to cause the bullet to upset quicker and then exponentially expand faster. They kill but they don't come out the other side on most things. I had a buddy so warned take them in his 9.3x62 to Africa on Plains game and came back unhappy about them. He killed everything he shot at but he, and I like exit holes.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my experience duplicates Fury1, exactly.

Hyak,
I have a large number of 285 Speer grand Slams (now discontinued) and would part with one to three boxes if that would interest or help you out..IM selling my 375 Ruger and will have a lot of components in the future if it sells..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I'm not getting notifications.

I'd possibly be interested in some of the grandslams once i get some more freed up.

I have 150 or so of the 270gr speers, as well as some factory 300gr tsx ammo. If i had access to any of the 300gr a frame ammo (or the money/ability to get the shipped to alaska) i would do so. I do have a load that seems to work well with the 300gr Norma of which i have 40 or so left but havent had time to load them before we go set up for bear this weekend. 45-70 with 350gr a frames will take the lead on that hunt.

I did a quick water jug test with the 270gr speer at 100yds. Penetrated about 27" worth of water jugs, expanded to .822 and weighed 169gr when recovered. I prefer my bullets to hold up better than that, but that's still not terrible given that water is extremely tough on expanding bullets.

Was the unhappiness with their performance on plains game only due to a lack of exit wounds?

one of us
posted Hide Post
the bullet came apart and no exit, a few just exploded more or less, some were just expanded jackets no lead to be found..The killed deer real well, but as expected ruined a lot of deer meat..

I suggest you slow them down, try a starting load, but that might be a waste of time an effort to some..Sell them and buy a proper bullet might be a good idea, I would pushed them at about 2300 to 2400 fps for deer and go up or down from there. You can always make a bullet work, all you gotta do is find that sweet spot in velocity..just some option suggestion for what they are worth..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
the bullet came apart and no exit, a few just exploded more or less, some were just expanded jackets no lead to be found..The killed deer real well, but as expected ruined a lot of deer meat..

I suggest you slow them down, try a starting load, but that might be a waste of time an effort to some..Sell them and buy a proper bullet might be a good idea, I would pushed them at about 2300 to 2400 fps for deer and go up or down from there. You can always make a bullet work, all you gotta do is find that sweet spot in velocity..just some option suggestion for what they are worth..

I'm pushing them right around 2500/2600. I'll probably try them out for caribou and possibly a moose. I have some other bullets to load up too. I need to find more 300gr norma oryx too, those shot well but can't find anymore