New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout scopes on big bores Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Has anyone seen a scope mounted in front of the action, scout style, that looks OK? Anyone tried one hunting? The concept sounds good for those of us who have eyesight problems and if uglyness is the only problem I would be surprised that we haven't seen more.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them but they are not very popular. Also, compare the eye relief of a scout scope to the same maker/power with regular eye relief. The latter has a larger field of view.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scout type scounts offer a more limited field of view but that is not a handicap in the field. Most if not all users of scout type scope mounting systems keep both eyes open when viewing through the scope which actually increases what they can see around them. I have one installed on my 45-70 and it is much quicker than using the factory iron sights.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2x B & L EER pistol scope mounted "out front" on my 45/70 Guide Gun in one of the A/O Sight Systems(formerly:Ashley) mounts. The technique is to keep both eyes open, so field of view through the scope isn't the issue it is with standard mounts. I like it real well. So far it has worked just fine taking deer from 20 yds. out to 75 or so. It is an especially good option for someone like myself who has been fortunate to live long enough to have vision issues with iron sights.
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I had a 4x leupold pistol scope on my 500 A-Square in q r mounts........It worked fine , I would take the scope off when all I wanted was Bear Protection ..But genrally leave it on. I shot deer @ about 200 yrds with it .With a Scout scope it would be even better.. My next big bore will have one along with the express sights.......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Brockman's. He modifies Talley bases to fit the barrels countour and mounts scout scopes on bolt rifles. His bolt scout rifles are closer to the concept of "scout" using smaller short action calibers w/ clip slots and fast loading stripper clips.

I have an early WWII Mauser on my workbench now that I'm pondering to rebarrel/rechamber to 9.3x62 w/ a 20-22" barrel, mauser flag safety, ghost ring receiver sight, clip slot/stripper clips, Brockman/Talley forward scout mounts w/ LEU 2.5X scout scope w/ #1 reticle. This rifle in a light and fast handling stock may be an excellent bear rifle in thick cover.

GVA

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
In my opionion there just isn't a better system for making shots on game from 0-300 yards. Its the best of both wolds: fast up close with both eyes open and precise enough at range to make a farther than normal shot. I can hit a 15" gong 3 out of 4 shots nealing at 300 with this one. They can be mated to a very light rifle due to the feather weight of the scope.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Brockman scope system on my 45-70 with a Burris 2.75x... It is without a doubt the best innovation for a fast handling Rifle..My 450 Rigby will be getting this upgrade if Jim will do it..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The scout scope principle is a good one.
I have 2 rifles with scout scopes.

It is the same principle as red dot sights, with a little magnification thrown in.

However the "principle" does not work for people loke me, ie I shoot rifles right handed but I am left eye dominate.

I find for me, since I myst close my left eye to aim, that a conventional scope works best for me.
A variable scope of 1.1 to 1.5 on the low =end acurally has more field of view for me that using a red dot or scout scope with my left eye closed.

I have a scout scope on a Tanker Garand, where conventional scopes do not work. Even with my left eye closed it is more precise than iron sights.

Scout scopes and red dot sights are a good option for a person with aging eyes on a big bore rifle, double or bolt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GaryVA, funny you mentioned the 9.3. I have a BRNO action and a 9.3x62 barrel (20"). I was gonna go with ghost rings also. I also have a FXII 2.5 scout in the safe I was contemplating putting on it. Its between the 9.3 or my co-pilot.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I would try it before I spent a great deal on it. Maybe it's what one is used to. I tried it on two rifles. One a lever action 7-30 Waters, and on my 45-70 Guide Gun. I did not find it faster, and could not get used to shooting with both eyes open. But the biggest problem was dusk. As the light diminishes your reticles will disappear - there is just too much eye relief. On an elk hunt with my Guide Gun and the scout system, my hunting partner also had his guide gun with a fixed 4x scope. When I could no longer use the scout scope effectively, the 4x was bright and clear.
It did not take me long to switch back with no regrets. thumbdown

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, what you state is correct, but, most versed w/ using a scout scope understands this. For those who have never used one:

- For the scopemaker to give enough eye relief for a scout scope to work forward of the reciever, it loses field of view through the scope. But, it is low powered and is designed to work w/ both eyes wide open which gives you maximum field of view. For me, if I needed to shoot a fast moving object at near point blank range; I can get on target looking through a scout scope using the retical whereas I must look over a conventional mounted scope. A conventional 1-4X set at 1X can work in this situation but for me is not as easy and fast as a scout.

- Because a scout scope is mounted forward of the receiver, it is easily effected by poor and stray light when compaired to a conventional scope. Not good for watching a field for deer during last light, but, that is not its purpose for me. If I went into thick stuff in poor light following up on a bear, the scope comes off and I'll aim over the sights. But, during normal shooting times the scout scope will be fairly accurate out to moderate distances on big game.

It is give and take and a scout scope isn't for everyone.

GVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's nice to have a quarter rib like the Ruger No.1 add-on, on a bolt action barrel. It serves as a base for a scout scope, as a back-up scope for a low power option to back-up the standard higher-powered scope on the receiver. The Ruger rib also has a fold-down rear sight.

I have an old Mark X .375 Wby set up like that. There is also a pop-up peep on the rear receiver scope base. I thus have 4 different sighting systems on one rifle: front bead, with fold-down rear and pop-up peep, a standard scope, and a scout scope.

I am able to use either scope system but really do prefer the standard scope.

I like the 2x or 2.75x Leupold or Burris scout scopes on big bore Ruger No.1's, just mounted in the standard position and pushed as far forward as possible in the rings. Those mini-scopes do not hang over the ejection port of the breech like a standard scope does. I get adequate field of view and limited enough parallax to make one-shot deer kills out to 342 yards with the 2.75x Burris on a .416 Rigby Ruger No.1. The same rig worked on water buffalo at 50 yards.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Scout scope is exceptionally fast and as has been pointed out the limited field of view is not a handicap as you will have both eyes open. The benefit of both eyes open also maintains the use of peripheral vision which is nice to have when hunting dangerous game.

I have never noticed the crosshairs fading at dusk.

It makes rifle carry at the balance point and topping off the magazine easier.

I have hunted extensively in both America and Africa and found it to be totally satisfactory.

Colonel Cooper, who was the strongest believer in and promoter of the scout scope, did not use a scope on his heavy as he felt if the animal was close enough to kill you then you didn’t need any magnification. However, he shot his lion at 11 paces with the Lion Scout (Brno action, .350 Rem. Mag.) and felt the 2.5 magnification was a hindrance, but he did kill the lion as it was coming out the crouch for the charge. He was 71 years old at the time.

I like to use the heavy in the general purpose role while in dangerous game territory and so use a scope. I prefer a Scout for the reasons listed above but a conventionally mounted low-powered scope suffices, just not as efficient in some ways as the Scout.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a Burris scope before I purchased the 2.75X ...I have never used a Leu. Scout scope either ..I would say that if there is a better Scout Scope than the 2.75X Burris then please tell me about it... My Hat is off to Burris and their Scout Scope..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one thing that really impresses me about the scout set up is you retain the ability to easily carry the rifle. Remember how easy it is to wrap your hand around a rifle not carrying a scope above the action?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Leupold and Burris are on par quality wise. Both usually do well but I have seen both fail in class. It would be wonderful to have a Schmidt & Bender Scout Scope.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I was all set to build myself a scout rifle, got a Ruger M77 ultralight .308 to build one to the cln's specs. Never got around to it and found out a few things about the scope concept in reality.

Limited field of view.
Scope will glare if sun is at your back.
Makes rifle nose heavy.

I have used a conventional 2.5x scope, does everything a scout will do without the limitations. I shoot all scopes with both eyes open, and have no problem holding a rifle with a scope in the conventional location.

There are guns ugly enough rifles that the forward mounted scope isn't a concession to the gun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got a Guide Gun with a 1.5x Leupold pistol scope mounted on a XS rail. It worked fine this year for whitetail doe in the thick stuff.

I've also tried the scout scope mount that Brownell's sells for the M700 on my 9,3x62 and the recoil bent the rail. So much for aluminum...

I may try to cobble together a scout mount for my Parker Hale .458 Lott. I'm thinking that I can make a bridge from the front reciever ring to the rear sight island...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote