THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Question on rebarrelling a Ruger77 MK2 Magnum

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on rebarrelling a Ruger77 MK2 Magnum Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking about buying a couple of Pacnor barrels and having a gunsmith rebarrel my Ruger Lotts.These barrels do not come with any sight islands or bands.They don't even come with that special slanted recoil lug.Would a recoil lug or an anchoring lug be needed on the barrel?Has anybody rebarreled one of these Rugers?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am thinking about buying a couple of Pacnor barrels and having a gunsmith rebarrel my Ruger Lotts.These barrels do not come with any sight islands or bands.They don't even come with that special slanted recoil lug.Would a recoil lug or an anchoring lug be needed on the barrel?Has anybody rebarreled one of these Rugers?

I used to have one in 375 H&H. Great rifle, though a bit heavy for anything other than flat Africa walking (ie not for Alaska).

Yes, they have an odd configuration. I'm sure some folks on here have rebarreled them. I would think you'd want an after market lug that attaches between the receiver and barrel. If you want the raised rib, etc. there are folks that can turn those barrels for you. Check out Ralf Martini. I think he used to offer barrels as a side business, not sure if he does anymore.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want a quarter rib, just a rebarelling but with NECG or Recknagel sight bands and express sights.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a lug in addition to the one incorporated on the receiver???...and ADDITIONAL lug added to the barrel???

Talk to Pacnor or McGowan or just about any other barrel maker or gunsmith...sights can be added after the barrel is installed/headspaced/crowned and additional lugs can also be milled and added to the barrel or machined and added similar to most other recoil Rem/Sav/similar lugs...stock needs to be modified for such a lug extension.

Having a bedding block added to a substantial stock with cross bolts should be adequate for Lott recoil and there are many ways to reinforce the stock to transfer the recoil forward or rearward to keep the stock intact from heavy recoil.

Ruger Magnum and Express OEM sights are available through Ruger parts houses and Brownell/Midway has many Express type F/R sights to choose from.

Luck beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought an RSM MK II many years ago as my first "big bore" in .375 Mag, but never liked it. With a bigger hole down the barrel it might balance well, but since they all share the same barrel profile, it was front heavy in a .375 and didn't point well, so I can sympathize. After many years of just sitting in a safe, I sent it to Wayne (AHR) and it came back as a .470 Capstick. Why? I didn't have anything between .458 and .500, and because Capstick got me hooked on Africa, even if he did embellish his stories a wee bit. Wink

I couldn't be happier with it. Wayne did an amazing job and refinished the Ruger receiver so that it was a perfect match for the barrel. The barrel has no quarter rib, but it doesn't look bad to me at all. Standard rear leaf and front sights with a barrel band sling mount. I kept the factory stock because even though they're a bit thick, I got one or the pretty ones. Wayne agreed.

I'll take a few pictures and post them for you when I get home tomorrow night.

Posts: 441 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlabreck7316:
I bought an RSM MK II many years ago as my first "big bore" in .375 Mag, but never liked it. With a bigger hole down the barrel it might balance well, but since they all share the same barrel profile, it was front heavy in a .375 and didn't point well, so I can sympathize. After many years of just sitting in a safe, I sent it to Wayne (AHR) and it came back as a .470 Capstick. Why? I didn't have anything between .458 and .500, and because Capstick got me hooked on Africa, even if he did embellish his stories a wee bit. Wink

I couldn't be happier with it. Wayne did an amazing job and refinished the Ruger receiver so that it was a perfect match for the barrel. The barrel has no quarter rib, but it doesn't look bad to me at all. Standard rear leaf and front sights with a barrel band sling mount. I kept the factory stock because even though they're a bit thick, I got one or the pretty ones. Wayne agreed.

I'll take a few pictures and post them for you when I get home tomorrow night.

Please do post some pictures, metal in the wood and out of the wood, please, including a view of the bedding & recoil lug work. tu2
Does it have a Remington-style lug like the Kimber Caprivi and Talkeetna?

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente cuckoo

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they can turn a "lug" or doughnut onto the barrel, for both a sight base and anchor point - your gunsmith can finish this off after chambering and alignment, as yes, you might should keep a 3rd anchor point for a big bore

i'd be somewhat interested in the removed barrels

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I get the barrels back from my smith I will PM you and we can see how to go about it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pac-nor has a pre-fit option.I was wondering if this is better than having my smith chamber it? I think pre-fit is less expensive.I emailed my smith to see what he says about an integral lug and sight bases.It seems like a good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want a quarter rib, just a rebarelling but with NECG or Recknagel sight bands and express sights.

Recknagel also make a one piece banded unit that includes a rear sight base and recoil lug. The assembly is soldered on after the barrel is fitted. It only comes in a few sizes, so check dimensions before ordering the barrel.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFE:
quote:

Recknagel also make a one piece banded unit that includes a rear sight base and recoil lug. The assembly is soldered on after the barrel is fitted. It only comes in a few sizes, so check dimensions before ordering the barrel.

Thanks JFE,that is an option.I am presently discussing this with Pac-nor.I should decide today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures, as promised. Sorry for the delay, I had to dig the Ruger out of the back row in the safe where the big guns live. Wink

Sorry, I didn't remove the action from the stock. It's bedded and it shoots like a laser, so that's where it's staying. Maybe Wayne can comment on any changes he made during the rebarreling process.

And finally, yes, the scope mounts are too tall. They were necessary for the bell of a 3-9x40mm to clear the Ruger barrel rib, but I have another set that are lower. I just grabbed the wrong ones when I mounted the 1.5-5x20. Smiler

Posts: 441 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice.How does it shoot with iron sights?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice. How does it shoot with iron sights?
I haven't shot it without the scope yet, but the other rifles that Wayne has built for me have all been right on the money with the iron sights because he test fires and files them before final finishing. He's about to do a .404 on an M70 action for me. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Was there any particular reason why you or Wayne decided to go with that particular rear sight base or set up?Does that rear sight base require soldering and or is it screwed to the barrel? Is there a recoil lug on the barrel? If so what kind? Again,it looks really nice and if it is accurate and shoots on target with open sights then it is A-1.I see on the AHR web site that Wayne has fair prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should probably contact Wayne (bitterroot) directly for details on how he does his rebarreling on non-CZ rifles. On the CZs he changes the barrel recoil lug to his own design, but I'm not sure what he does on other models.

In addition to the Ruger, I had a .375 H&H (just sold, never fired) and still have a .416 Rigby and .550 Magnum built by Wayne on CZ actions and they're both dead on with iron sights and point superbly. He does amazing work and his prices are very reasonable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 2 Pac-nor with a #6 heavy sporter (krieger like) contour(1.25 breech).I also ordered a Krieger straight blank that will be shaped by my gunsmith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was finally shooting my Walther Lothar barrelled 308 today and I was really impressed with it.I think I will look into Walther Lothar barrels for my Lott.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pac-nor has a pre-fit option.I was wondering if this is better than having my smith chamber it? I think pre-fit is less expensive.I emailed my smith to see what he says about an integral lug and sight bases.It seems like a good idea.

As noted by others, Recknagel (NECG) make a rear sight island with a lug underneath. I have one on my 458 (Walther barreled) and a spare one.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price of that sight/lug island considering the exchange rate and shipping will cost around 200 dollars not installed.I am not sure it would be good to have a sleeve over the barrel too.Any ways I am still looking at my options.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided to go with a Recknagel Masterpiece banded front sight but the band will be removed leaving only the ramp.For the rear sight I chose a Recknagel unfinished single leaf base.Also a swivel band from the same manufacturer.I will try to get red Silvers pad installed as well.A Krieger #6 heavy sporter 458 barrel should arrive at my smiths in 2-3 weeks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my own 458 Lott reamer.I will send it to my smith.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My two 458 Lott, Pac-nor, Ruger prefit barrels are ready with chambers cut with my own Lott reamer.They should arrive at my smiths in a few weeks after the importing process is complete.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why change barrels in the same caliber?

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

The original barrels have been shot out and I want to stick with the same caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The original barrels have been shot out and I want to stick with the same caliber.

how many shots to shoot it out?

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
quote:

how many shots to shoot it out?

over 2 thousand

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked they shoot out so easily. And that you don't have nerve damage.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do have nerve damage.I have had many concussions from shooting my Lott's that is why I rarely shoot them anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like any barrel, they shoot out faster if you shoot them like a machine gun.

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I do have nerve damage.I have had many concussions from shooting my Lott's that is why I rarely shoot them anymore.

Shootaway, thank you.
That is a good warning.

I like to keep my big shots to under a dozen at a session. (For me, a big gun is something generating over 6000 ft lbs muzzle energy.) I've sometimes shot 20 or thirty 'big' rounds in a day, but very rarely and only because of a necessary time crunch. I've found that a dozen rounds can be mixed in with some 338, 375, or 270 work and be quite nice, but if I get a funny numbness in my fingers or arm, or a sensation of the mildest of a headache I immediately call it a day or limit things to a 270 or 243, if they don't aggravate the sensations. Shooting health is something to preserve and big guns are both useful and fun.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I limit the rounds of 308 I shoot as well.I find that if I shoot 100 rds of 308 in one range session that would have a similar effect as shooting many Lott rds at once.So now I will shoot no more that 30 rds of 308 in a week and I will try to limit that as well.I don't mind shooting my 22LR regularly but as for all the other stuff from time to time.I find that the longer I go without shooting the big stuff the greater tolerance I have for it.

One of Us
Picture of Rune Hallgeir
posted Hide Post
Hi this is my RSM in 375 H&H Mag.
I had customized the stock and strenghten it with 2 new recoilbolts, and bedding.

SCI Official measurer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rune Hallgeir:
Hi this is my RSM in 375 H&H Mag.
I had customized the stock and strenghten it with 2 new recoilbolts, and bedding.

Nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting my 308 with the Lothar Walter barrel today and it seems like the barrel is already shooting large groups.So much for Lothar Walther barrels.

One of Us
Picture of Rune Hallgeir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
That is very well done modification. What all did you do to the stock?

First of all I removed all old finish, used a wet cloth and heat to smoothen out the bump and such, let it dry and grinded with 1000 grade paper, used grainfiller, and polish and finally gunstockoil. and a lot of polishing.
The recoilbolts made out of brass, used glassbedding and built up a hold innside the stock, and afterwords just ordinary 3 point bedding.

SCI Official measurer.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was shooting my 308 with the Lothar Walter barrel today and it seems like the barrel is already shooting large groups.So much for Lothar Walther barrels.

So from February to June and your 308 barrel is "shot out" while limiting your sessions to 30 rounds a week?

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
quote:

So from February to June and your 308 barrel is "shot out" while limiting your sessions to 30 rounds a week?

I would shoot 50 rds at times not always 30.For weeks my open sight, off the bench groups would stay within an inch at 100yds.It seems they now opened up to 2-3 inch groups.I shoot my rds fast and my barrels get hot especially in the warmer months.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Just trying to understand the facts sir as you wrote them. Thanks for the updated information.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote